Crackberry community. Want to ask a question and express my concern. Does anyone know why BB Mobile, or anyone associated with making new phones if they will be releasing a new phone anytime soon? If they are not why don’t they just say so ? I have been a BB user for 12 years and I feel they don’t respect users enough to even respond to the question
    John Albert likes this.
    01-19-20 08:04 AM
    Crackberry community. Want to ask a question and express my concern. Does anyone know why BB Mobile, or anyone associated with making new phones if they will be releasing a new phone anytime soon? If they are not why don’t they just say so ? I have been a BB user for 12 years and I feel they don’t respect users enough to even respond to the question
    Because it’s not how things are done from a business perspective with a licensing agreement in place another 18-24 months and devices available to sell
    Laura Knotek and phuoc like this.
    01-19-20 08:10 AM
    Why would TCL make any announcements. They are now going after the consumer low and low mid market for Android phones. The BlackBerry Audience has no interest in these phones. Also, I don't think the vast majority of the people outside of CrackBerry even know BlackBerry Mobile = TCL. All that TCL can get out of an announcement is bad press. Plus I am sure they have a small remaining inventory they would like to sell, and announcement would force them to liquidate this inventory for pennies on the dollar.

BlackBerry Limited does not want any press about BlackBerry Mobile going away. All that would do is dredge up a bunch of retrospective articles about how BlackBerry lost their phone market. Since BlackBerry limited left this market in 2016, they don't want to go through all of this negative publicity again.

Neither company would benefit in anyway to have a bunch of negative articles written about the failure of BlackBerry Mobile. The size of the BlackBerry Mobile user base is so small the press is not even following them. If both companies stay silent they can just let everything fade to black with no negative publicity. The BlackBerries are not unique is this position. Many tech companies do not announce the death of failed ventures, they wait until few remember and then just put them on an EOL list.
    Laura Knotek, phuoc and ppeters914 like this.
    01-19-20 12:20 PM
    If you truly have been a user for 12 years as you say, than you would know why they (BlackBerry) are no longer in the hardware business....
    01-26-20 09:11 PM
    Did you check out the Blackberry Evolve X. I think it was only released to some Asian Markets but you could still find it on eBay or other stores. This phone has had some really positive reviews. check that out. Apart from that - I agree to your point on the Blackberry customer service and how unfair they have been to even the most loyal fans.
    02-01-20 09:04 AM
    Did you check out the Blackberry Evolve X. I think it was only released to some Asian Markets but you could still find it on eBay or other stores. This phone has had some really positive reviews. check that out. Apart from that - I agree to your point on the Blackberry customer service and how unfair they have been to even the most loyal fans.
    The Evolve X was never released.

How has BlackBerry Limited's customer service been unfair? They've been out of the handset business for well over 3 years.
    02-01-20 10:06 AM
    Evolve X will be released soon it seems (Feb 2020) per some threads. There are several reviews of it on Youtube and it's currently on blackberrymobile.in i.e. India's Blackberry Website and a friend of mine living there already has his hands on it. On that customer service, I am from the UK and it's been twice in the past that I've needed to contact Blackberry UK support line. They never fixed the issues I had with my phones. On the first occasion they got back to me asking me to leave a message on twitter. That was strange in itself - like everyone's willing to open up on social media. I had to open a Twitter account just for that. And they still didn't do a thing. On the second occasion, I had an issue with my Keyone and contacted BB support and they kept me running in circles -asking me to do a bunch of things but they never actually fixed the issues. I am currently suing Blackberry UK for that. Pathetic support.
    02-01-20 10:50 AM
    Evolve X will be released soon it seems (Feb 2020) per some threads. There are several reviews of it on Youtube and it's currently on blackberrymobile.in i.e. India's Blackberry Website and a friend of mine living there already has his hands on it. On that customer service, I am from the UK and it's been twice in the past that I've needed to contact Blackberry UK support line. They never fixed the issues I had with my phones. On the first occasion they got back to me asking me to leave a message on twitter. That was strange in itself - like everyone's willing to open up on social media. I had to open a Twitter account just for that. And they still didn't do a thing. On the second occasion, I had an issue with my Keyone and contacted BB support and they kept me running in circles -asking me to do a bunch of things but they never actually fixed the issues. I am currently suing Blackberry UK for that. Pathetic support.
    So you're talking about TCL (BlackBerry Mobile) then?

Evolve X won't be released. Optiemus ended their relationship with BlackBerry over a year ago.
    02-01-20 12:08 PM
    TCL and BlackBerry confirmed their divorce today.
    02-03-20 01:11 PM
    I think this is a positive because it *COULD* lead us to a REAL Android maker doing a licensing agreement for the KEYBOARD + HUB software.

If Samsung/LG/Motorola, or another Top5-6 Android maker made a (let's just call say...) Samsung Galaxy "BlackBerry Edition" with limited marketing, etc -- what's to lose? I don't think anyone is ever going to try to make a full "global brand" again with BB. It's just too late with the horrible blunders they have made the last decade.

But RCA TV is still being trademarked by a German company... why can't the BB keyboard/trademark still be used by someone who is already making a high-end Android phone?

We don't need the BB Camera or Calendar app... Any logical modern knows that the HUB+PKB is what makes a BB superior to other Android phones.

Let's hope we hear good news by Fall that they have a new partner. If not, I'll be forced to get a Note 11+ whenever it comes out Love my KEY2 passionately.

Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:38pm
    Last edited by howarmat; 02-04-20 at 02:42 PM.
    02-03-20 05:41 PM
    I think this is a positive because it *COULD* lead us to a REAL Android maker doing a licensing agreement for the KEYBOARD + HUB software.

If Samsung/LG/Motorola, or another Top5-6 Android maker made a (let's just call say...) Samsung Galaxy "BlackBerry Edition" with limited marketing, etc -- what's to lose? I don't think anyone is ever going to try to make a full "global brand" again with BB. It's just too late with the horrible blunders they have made the last decade.

But RCA TV is still being trademarked by a German company... why can't the BB keyboard/trademark still be used by someone who is already making a high-end Android phone?

We don't need the BB Camera or Calendar app... Any logical modern (not you BB10 clowns) knows that the HUB+PKB is what makes a BB superior to other Android phones.

Let's hope we hear good news by Fall that they have a new partner. If not, I'll be forced to get a Note 11+ whenever it comes out Love my KEY2 passionately.

I can only hope that you're right, that someone else will come and license the brand.

But I'm not even asking for that much, I'm only asking for a PKB phone that isn't a 303g tank lol
    02-03-20 06:08 PM
    tcl is not exactly a small player in the mobile world.
    02-03-20 06:15 PM
    And you *could* find a bucket of gold at the end of a rainbow, and the Easter Bunny might help you into a chariot pulled by a unicorn to help get it home. But I think the chances of that are significantly greater than another company licensing BB PKB tech.

If Samsung/LG/Motorola, or another Top5-6 Android maker made a (let's just call say...) Samsung Galaxy "BlackBerry Edition" with limited marketing, etc -- what's to lose?
    Many millions of dollars. Big companies like this aren't interested in tiny (and still rapidly shrinking) niche markets that have been massively unprofitable (read: lost a TON of money) for several different companies for a decade. If they can't sell a couple million devices annually, they simply aren't interested in making them at all, because the costs to support them is too high. All of these companies have made PKB phones in the past and could have made them at any time if they felt there was a market, but EVERY piece of evidence available says that the market is incredibly tiny and not worth their time.

Plus, the last thing any of these companies is interested in is using the BB name - they have their own names to promote.

If YOU were the CEO of any of these companies, would you seriously take a plan to your Board of Directors to license BB software and PKB to serve a market that is under 100k devices globally, and still falling? You'd essentially be trying to sell the idea that any success would really help the BB brand and not your own, but failure would result in financial losses to your own company. Why would any BoD sign on for that? TCL did it because they had virtually no presence in the US market and wanted to get into the market - all the other companies have long had a US presence.
    02-03-20 07:24 PM
    And you *could* find a bucket of gold at the end of a rainbow, and the Easter Bunny might help you into a chariot pulled by a unicorn to help get it home. But I think the chances of that are significantly greater than another company licensing BB PKB tech.

Many millions of dollars. Big companies like this aren't interested in tiny (and still rapidly shrinking) niche markets that have been massively unprofitable (read: lost a TON of money) for several different companies for a decade. If they can't sell a couple million devices annually, they simply aren't interested in making them at all, because the costs to support them is too high. All of these companies have made PKB phones in the past and could have made them at any time if they felt there was a market, but EVERY piece of evidence available says that the market is incredibly tiny and not worth their time.

Plus, the last thing any of these companies is interested in is using the BB name - they have their own names to promote.

If YOU were the CEO of any of these companies, would you seriously take a plan to your Board of Directors to license BB software and PKB to serve a market that is under 100k devices globally, and still falling? You'd essentially be trying to sell the idea that any success would really help the BB brand and not your own, but failure would result in financial losses to your own company. Why would any BoD sign on for that? TCL did it because they had virtually no presence in the US market and wanted to get into the market - all the other companies have long had a US presence.
    You forgot the leprechaun farting rainbow sparkles
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-03-20 09:57 PM

We don't need the BB Camera or Calendar app... Any logical modern (not you BB10 clowns) knows that the HUB+PKB is what makes a BB superior to other Android phones.

Anyone could have licensed BlackBerry patents. The TCL agreement was exclusive in several countries to use the BlackBerry name not their technology.

Samsung in the past built and sold Android PKB phones. They do not need to license anything if they wanted to build PKB phones.

No company with an established brand is going to license the BlackBerry name.
    02-03-20 10:30 PM
    Wrong.
    The BB ergonomic QWERTY keyboard is unique and can't just be ripped off. There's a reason why there's millions of BB devices worldwide still in use and not T-Mobile Sidekicks.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/86...uit-settlement
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    02-03-20 10:34 PM
    Wrong.
    The BB ergonomic QWERTY keyboard is unique and can't just be ripped off. There's a reason why there's millions of BB devices worldwide still in use and not T-Mobile Sidekicks.
    BB's PKB patents only cover certain key sculpting and a few other very specific features - it certainly doesn't prohibit companies from making PKBs.

And no one uses Sidekicks because Danger (Andy Rubin's company before creating Android) was sold to Microsoft, who shut down the Danger data network years ago.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    02-03-20 10:58 PM
    this forum is exhausting to read sometimes.

"you don't have any proof it's over!"
    "ok the company just issued an official statement. it's over."

I've never, ever seen a community get so much mileage out of "what if" for a completely lost cause.
    chain13, JeepBB, Bob80220 and 2 others like this.
    02-04-20 04:37 AM
    this forum is exhausting to read sometimes.

"ok the company just issued an official statement. it's over."

I've never, ever seen a community get so much mileage out of "what if" for a completely lost cause.
    These are bad days for PKBs, but it is not over IMO.

We are still a quite big community willing to pay.
    02-04-20 04:47 AM
    These are bad days for PKBs, but it is not over IMO.

We are still a quite big community willing to pay.
    Just not big enough to make it economically viable/profitable.
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    02-04-20 06:47 AM
    Just not big enough to make it economically viable/profitable.
    Not big enough for meeting the grandiose delusions of BBMo with a global business.
    Maybe profitable for a smaller enterprise strongly costumer-driven
    02-04-20 07:04 AM
    Not big enough for meeting the grandiose delusions of BBMo with a global business.
    So Unihertz Titan is there for the PKB community.
    jacobacevedog and Tsepz_GP like this.
    02-04-20 07:12 AM
    But enterprise doesn't want anything else.... they'd rather utilize products from large companies with proven track records and long support cycles. Google, Samsung and Apple...

It's over.... BlackBerry has shut down most all of the Mobility division, they have no plans for "what's next".
    John Albert likes this.
    02-04-20 07:28 AM
    But enterprise doesn't want anything else.... they'd rather utilize products from large companies with proven track records and long support cycles. Google, Samsung and Apple...

It's over.... BlackBerry has shut down most all of the Mobility division, they have no plans for "what's next".
    Of course they have plans. They just don't involve phones lol!
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-04-20 07:59 AM
    Wrong.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/86...uit-settlement
    Samsung made PKB QWERTY phones. I know this because I owned one. The keyboard was nice. One of my Coworkers had a Samsung PKB QWERTY Android phone. As Troy pointed out you can't copy the shape of the BlackBerry keys, but this leaves many options to build a PKB phone without licensing anything from BlackBerry.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-04-20 08:33 AM
96 123 ...