I been interested into this OS looking at videos lately. I'm a former Nokia fan that came here to try something new and stay on the keyboard side of the smartphone world. I like windows phone but I thought BB10 would be better. As we can all see BB10 is no longer being supported and once again another mobile brand is going the Android route. So now my OS options are either WP10 or Sailfish.

Well come to find out, the new Nokia phones that are coming out with Android can actually be ported and booted with Sailfish. The OS that is barely known from the public is getting more monthly updates than BB10 which is a shame. Sailfish also is Android adaptable with apps. Depending on how great the progress make with the updating of the OS, I will jump ship back to Nokia and remove Android for Sailfish. Also their are other Android phones such as Sony, Motorola, Nexus, etc. That can run Sailfish. I hope I've given some BB fans some light on something different than Android.
    06-16-17 02:19 AM
    There were plans of releasing a Sony Xperia X running SFOS some time this month. Dunno if it'll push thru, haven't heard anything lately.
    06-16-17 02:28 AM
    There were plans of releasing a Sony Xperia X running SFOS some time this month. Dunno if it'll push thru, haven't heard anything lately.
    Yes I'm waiting on more news about that. Also I'll definitely will be keeping my eye on the development for Sailfish.
    06-16-17 02:43 AM
    I got my hands on a Jolla phone because I like Sailfish so much.

it's really an amazing platform.

I'm very excited for their future.
    06-16-17 02:53 AM
    If you can get a classic or q10 or passport or maybe a k1 with sailfish, I'm in.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 07:57 AM
    If you can get a classic or q10 or passport or maybe a k1 with sailfish, I'm in.

Posted via CB10
    Wouldn't count on it I don't think that the keyboards will work with the Q10.
    06-16-17 12:21 PM
    Wouldn't count on it I don't think that the keyboards will work with the Q10.
    Not to mention you can't put another OS on any blackberry.

OP, no I'm not interested in any OS that doesn't have support or developer support beyond maybe just playing around with it on an un needed device.
    06-16-17 12:52 PM
    So you get my answer to the thread

Posted via CB10
    06-16-17 12:54 PM
    If they haven't put out an actual "Sailphone" then the name is a waste.

OP, no I'm not interested in any OS that doesn't have support or developer support beyond maybe just playing around with it on an un needed device.
    One notices the tendency for some to leave a sinking ship for another sinking ship.
    kbz1960 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-16-17 01:27 PM

You might want to do your research. Sailfish might not be gaining a lot of marketshare but Sony obviously has some interest into it. Also sailfish gets updated more than BB10.

Where is this information that I can port another OS on my Q10?
    06-16-17 03:11 PM
    You might want to do your research. Sailfish might not be gaining a lot of marketshare but Sony obviously has some interest into it. Also sailfish gets updated more than BB10.

Where is this information that I can port another OS on my Q10?
    I said can't. Just try it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=put+...obile&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-16-17 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Add link
    06-16-17 03:13 PM
    Sailfish, while interesting, has virtually no native app ecosystem, and is reliant on an Android Runtime that, much like BB10's, is quickly growing obsolete, and will only continue to do so moving forward. The move to Android 5.0 is a major change from previous versions, which is why you haven't seen any runtimes of Android later than 4.x. But app/developer support for 4.x is already starting to go away, and a year from now, it's going to be a huge problem for Sailfish supporters - especially for apps that rely on a network service that has been updated and rendered older versions of the client app obsolete.

That's the danger of "boarding a sinking boat" - it's fine for a hobby phone, but I suspect that most people who have one will also have to carry a second phone to run their apps... and then, what's the point?
    kbz1960, DrBoomBotz and Avenzuno like this.
    06-16-17 03:51 PM
    Sailfish has a long ways to go and alot of headwinds. No pathway from Davlik to ART runtime, no device encryption, no user controlled app permission framework (all apps have same permissions).

Fun to play with and to see its MeeGo heritage but not a serious alternative for the BB10 user.
    06-16-17 05:40 PM
    I will get a sailfish phone the minute a us 4GLTE model is available.
    06-16-17 10:39 PM
    Is Sony actually releasing a Sailfish phone,

or is Sony just releasing a phone that you can load compatible OSes on, with Jolla working on producing the Sailfish version that the end user will have to load himself?
    06-17-17 01:10 AM
    Is Sony actually releasing a Sailfish phone,

or is Sony just releasing a phone that you can load compatible OSes on, with Jolla working on producing the Sailfish version that the end user will have to load himself?
    The latter
    06-17-17 09:20 AM
    I still use an original Jolla phone a follow on from Nokia Meego and improving with each update, the Turing phone has moved from Android to Sailfish OS with some enhanced security features, the Intex company with their Aqua fish phones use Sailfish OS, there was talk of Yota and Fairphone using Sailfish but not confirmed, as for Sony using Sailfish OS on an Xperia would be nice if was out of the Box, Sailfish is fun to use as it's different and is still being updated, my main phones are a Leap and Z30.
    06-17-17 12:11 PM
    I still use an original Jolla phone a follow on from Nokia Meego and improving with each update, the Turing phone has moved from Android to Sailfish OS with some enhanced security features, the Intex company with their Aqua fish phones use Sailfish OS, there was talk of Yota and Fairphone using Sailfish but not confirmed, as for Sony using Sailfish OS on an Xperia would be nice if was out of the Box, Sailfish is fun to use as it's different and is still being updated, my main phones are a Leap and Z30.
    How is it for apps?
    06-17-17 12:52 PM
    How is it for apps?
    Android Apps same as BB10 some work others do not, the Sailfish store has quiet a few Apps that are useful, and the native browser is fast and updated early 2017, opera mini is one Android App I use for data saving.
    kbz1960 and xandros9 like this.
    06-17-17 01:12 PM
    Android Apps same as BB10 some work others do not, the Sailfish store has quiet a few Apps that are useful, and the native browser is fast and updated early 2017, opera mini is one Android App I use for data saving.
    Thanks. I'm intrigued by it but not wanting to go from the pan back into the fire.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-17-17 01:17 PM
    What is the battery life like on the Sailfish OS? Is it a lot more reliable and lighter than Android and not a battery drainer?? I'm very curious. Do you get about a day or 2 out of your battery life?
    06-17-17 01:52 PM
    What is the battery life like on the Sailfish OS? Is it a lot more reliable and lighter than Android and not a battery drainer?? I'm very curious. Do you get about a day or 2 out of your battery life?
    I can get about two days with my personal use pattern, and battery can be removed.
    06-17-17 02:18 PM
    It is an overall lighter OS, but I wouldn't be running out to make it a daily driver yet.

It's a great OS, no doubt, but still needs a bit of work.

And of course, like BB10, apps are basically a lottery.

Although the native ones look and feel great.

And it's also all swipe based, like BB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-17-17 04:37 PM
    Sailfish, while interesting, has virtually no native app ecosystem, and is reliant on an Android Runtime that, much like BB10's, is quickly growing obsolete, and will only continue to do so moving forward. The move to Android 5.0 is a major change from previous versions, which is why you haven't seen any runtimes of Android later than 4.x. But app/developer support for 4.x is already starting to go away, and a year from now, it's going to be a huge problem for Sailfish supporters - especially for apps that rely on a network service that has been updated and rendered older versions of the client app obsolete.

That's the danger of "boarding a sinking boat" - it's fine for a hobby phone, but I suspect that most people who have one will also have to carry a second phone to run their apps... and then, what's the point?
    Then you look real important, two phones and all........LOL
    06-17-17 09:28 PM
    I can get about two days with my personal use pattern, and battery can be removed.
    Thank you thank you!! Very good to hear I'm getting more and more sold on this OS.
    06-18-17 01:42 AM
168 123 ...