OK, so I am a forlorn former WebOS fanboy still looking for a new home. I loved how WebOS allowed me to multitask, switch between running apps, and let me get stuff done crazy efficiently. Since those days I moved to Windows Phone 7, then to Android 4.3/4.4, and am now back on Windows Phone 8. I appreciate how uniform and fluid everything is on Windows Phone, but workflow is killing me. Every changing task is jarring. I feel like I need an airbag just to work on my phone. It seems to me like BB10 will bring back the WebOS workflow feel I regularly lament, so I was wondering if anyone in these forums has ever used WebOS and could give me a comparison. Better yet, if anyone has used BB10, WebOS, and Windows Phone and would care to write a compare an contrast, that would be awesome. I am getting a new phone soon, and really am looking for reasons to give BB10 a shot. But with WP8.1 on the horizon, I still need some convincing. Thanks in advance folks!
    HUD199 likes this.
    03-21-14 10:18 PM
    Hellos there. I started using webOS since day one (woke up at 6 to get the original Palm Pre). I have also used a Windows phone. The bes way could put it is that if you were to decide to go ahead with the blackberry it would be like using webOS on steroids. I would personally recommend the Q10 since you're used to the keyboard and all.

Posted via CB10
    HUD199 likes this.
    03-21-14 10:43 PM
    My Progression:
    Nextel -> Nokia Communicator -> BlackBerry Curve 8330 -> Palm Pre -> BlackBerry Bold 9930 -> BlackBerry z10.

I greatly value efficiency and communication in all of my devices. No one does efficiency like BlackBerry. If there is anything I miss about WebOS it would be the openness of the OS, and the ability to find many third party customizations.

I have not used WP, or Android, but I would say that all 3 OS's can be very efficient if set up the right way.

For BB10 specifically: The highest points are the Hub/Peak, and overall stability and security. Once you have lived/worked with the Hub, you will wonder how you were able to function without it.

For Android: I don't have the device, but I would say its highest points are the ability to load 3rd party launchers and customizations (like in WebOS), and of course, Widgets.

For WP: Again, I don't have the device, but judging from my father's Surface, I would say that central file stores (My Documents, My Pictures, etc) and the compatibility with a Windows Desktop/Laptop are the highest points there.

I hope this helps a little.
    HUD199 likes this.
    03-21-14 10:46 PM
    I have just recently packed my Palm Pixi Plus into its box and bought myself a Z10 brand new for $120 CAD. I shed a tear, then proceeded to learn BB10 which was a breeze because of course it shares many of the gestures that are inherent to WebOS. My Pixi served me well for many years and I loved the form factor, the gestures and the fantastic devs who worked their asses off to supply end users with apps, patches and the like. It is an ALMOST dead OS, but something tells me that there will always be a heartbeat for WebOS and now there are rumors that LG may revive the OS in some form or other, perhaps even another phone some day. Anyway, I am getting lost in the nostalgia! BB10 is a great OS and my experience has been nothing but fantastic with the Z10. The Hub/peak is excellent as mentioned above and the OS with newest firmware is snappy and pure. In my opinion, the Z10 for the money is the best phone I have seen to date. At the price I paid, it is a no-brainer. Believe me when I say you cannot go wrong with BB10. I have not used a W8 phone, so i cannot compare with WebOS. Even after using the Z10 for 3 months now, I still find myself trying to FLICK that open app upwards and off my desktop---ha ha---you probably know what I mean! If I could get BB10 to do that ONE little thing for me, I would be totally happy. For now, my Pixi will stay dark, but like all great things, I know it may still make the odd appearance to check with Homebrew and WebOSnation for updates and news. I guess by now, you can tell that I am a WebOS fanboy too. Long live WebOS!
    HUD199 likes this.
    03-21-14 11:14 PM
    Palm Pre 1.0 running fine but I need new software sales tools. Will hate to lose small form factor. I just received my Z30 this evening, 03/28/14. Migrating from Sprint to VZW as well. I am well familiar with QNX and its robust nature in chemical process control. Looking forward to mastering my Z30. Will update migration tips, issues, fixes as I encounter them over next 48 hrs. Ever the optimist!
    03-28-14 10:25 PM
    Just purchased Z30 after evaluating all options. If you need business apps and no-nonsense robust communications, the z30 is exactly what you need. I found one for $50 on Amazon with VZW contract. Z30 can now load and run Android programs. Unique antenna saves battery and has fewer dropped calls, black holes. Battery life measured in days, not hours. Will post migration experience over next 48 hours.
    03-28-14 10:32 PM
    You will still miss webOS is many ways but you will probably like it more than WP.

Z10, STL100-1, 10.2.1.2141
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    03-29-14 12:38 AM
    To put it simply, BB10 is by far the closest thing you will find to WebOS. As far as my experience goes - Android 2.1 to 4.0, iOS 1.x to 3.x and 6.x to 7.1, WP8, WebOS 1.x, a very brief stint with WebOS 2.x, and of course BB10. Excluding Symbian, I don't think there is a "modern" smartphone OS I haven't experienced.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:58 AM
    If you want the multitasking ability you should get an iPhone 5s, cuz you know what, they copy the webOS UI for multitasking in the exact same way! BlackBerry should just copy that D: I hate ppl just rip off the best stuff from one thing and make the thing they own the best... oh well BlackBerry 10.3 I am counting on you!

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 02:02 AM
    I haven't used WebOS in a long time so I can't go into too much detail because I can't remember everything anymore but as someone who has used WebOS, every iteration of iOS, every iteration of Android, and WP, I prefer BB10 and how it does multitasking. I don't like having to double click the home button on iOS and I don't like how you can only see a few open apps at a time if you have a lot open. Android is similar to iOS and I don't like that either. BB10 multitasking is great because all you have to do is swipe up to see all of your running apps and since they are live tiles, they will display relevant information that you can read without tapping one of the tiles to bring the app up full screen.

I can't stand WP. My mom has one and I hate using it when she has a problem.
    Any former WebOS users that can give me some input?-img_20140329_065044.png

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 05:51 AM
    it needs to be top notch
    03-29-14 05:56 AM
    Once you get used to it BB10 is a fine replacement for webOS depending on what your carrier carries, the VKB is not bad on BB10 if you decide to go without the physical keyboard.

I was originally drawn to BB10 because of the Q10, my wife, after playing with the Zed 10 decided to go the VKB route, before ATT released the Q10 I had already decided I would be happier with the Zed screen size. I personally say do it, I am running various leaks and direct installing Android apps. It is the new webOS in many ways, the gestures are different but it is a great OS and fully capable. Depending on your usage the learning curve may vary, but as you get used to it, you will be fine.

For reference, the wife and I have both owned TouchPads, original Sprint Pre, Veer, Pre2 (unlocked), and a Pre3. I used to be a webOS expert and currently working on being a BB and Android expert.
    03-29-14 03:02 PM
    I recently got a Q10 to replace my launch day Pre. I wished I could have gotten the BB Classic, but Sprint ditched Blackberry like they did Palm. I'm enjoying having a fully functional phone again, but alas I will always have a heartbeat for WebOS as well. I still use my Touchpad everyday, and still play the games on my Pre. I'm adjusting to the Q10 quite well. I like the Hub, and I now have a phone with a front facing camera! I exported my contacts from my Pre to a vcf file using the CelleBrite export on the Pre. How do I import the the contacts into my Q10?
    07-25-15 05:05 AM
    Do you have access to Microsoft Windows? If so, import your VCF files into Windows Contacts. You may want to create a group specifically for you Pre contacts.

Install BlackBerry Link on the same Windows computer for convenience.

Connect your Q10 using your Q10 USB cable to the computer

In link choose Contacts/Calendar.

Configure contacts and how you want to sync between Windows Contacts and your Q10. Make sure you align your sync with where you want your contacts on the Q10-Local, SIM, etc.

Then process the sync.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    purplepansy likes this.
    07-25-15 03:39 PM
    Do you have access to Microsoft Windows? If so, import your VCF files into Windows Contacts. You may want to create a group specifically for you Pre contacts.

Install BlackBerry Link on the same Windows computer for convenience.

Connect your Q10 using your Q10 USB cable to the computer

In link choose Contacts/Calendar.

Configure contacts and how you want to sync between Windows Contacts and your Q10. Make sure you align your sync with where you want your contacts on the Q10-Local, SIM, etc.

Then process the sync.

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    This! plus export the list as a csv for safe keeping or future device migrations
    purplepansy likes this.
    07-25-15 06:36 PM