Recently Google, BlackBerry and some other companies teamed together to fight patient trolls, do you think this will further tie the relationship between Google and BlackBerry? Will Google embrace BB10 or ignore it like WP?

Another question. What do you think will happen to BBM when Google releases Bable? And again will it come to BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:01 PM
    Not gonna happen. Google has been very clear that they only develop for Android and reluctantly for iOS. I wish US justice department would launch antitrust lawsuit on those evil bastards. Maybe the EU will.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:13 PM
    I don't think the tie-up between Google and BlackBerry will lead to faster app releases (if any.) There was a product/service tie-up between Microsoft and BBRY, yet we're all waiting for Skype. Common needs make for interesting bedfellows.

As for Babel, I don't see it having a big effect on BBM. 1) It's a rumor. 2) It unifies Google's chat services...hardly groundbreaking there. From my understanding, there's hardly anything great about Babel. It will probably bring a degree of convenience for some users, but nothing revolutionary.

Oh...and if they mandate a Google+ account for this service, people will walk. I guarantee it.
    04-08-13 07:15 PM
    Google at some point said they would support other platforms.

The reason I was asking about Bable because I think it will be the major competitor for bbm. There are many other messaging apps like WhatsApp and Viber but non of them are powerful as bbm. There only advantage is that they are cross platform which bbm is not. Google seems to be filling this gap with Bable.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 07:32 PM
    I guess the key factor question would be, "what does Babel bring to the game that's new/much improved?"

-BBM is the best, but it's an intra-platform mobile app
    -Whatsapp is probably the most popular inter-platform mobile app, and apparently the fact that it relies on a phone number (instead of an indirect credential like a PIN or BBID) doesn't bother too many people
    -Skype is probably the most popular video chat app (as we hear numerous times on the forums )

So all in all, I don't see Babel seizing market share from any of the other mobile platforms.
    04-08-13 08:42 PM
    What happens if Babel includes all these in one app!!

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 09:06 PM
    What happens if Babel includes all these in one app!!

Posted via CB10
    Well then we would certainly be up against something much bigger than we originally thought..

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    04-08-13 09:10 PM
    Babel? As in, "Tower of"?

I would have loved to have been part of that meeting where they decided on that name change.
    raino likes this.
    04-08-13 09:15 PM
    For the foreseeable future, Google will probably avoid supporting BlackBerry at all costs. The only way Google might end up supporting them is if BlackBerry 10 becomes extremely successful (i.e. outsells iOS), which isn't something BlackBerry can do overnight.
    04-08-13 09:18 PM
    Not gonna happen. Google has been very clear that they only develop for Android and reluctantly for iOS. I wish US justice department would launch antitrust lawsuit on those evil bastards. Maybe the EU will.

Posted via CB10
    Part of the problem is that Google charge the phone-makers for the apps. A guy from Blackberry told me Google wanted about $100m for Maps on BB10. I imagine Apple ended u having to pay that too.
    04-09-13 07:42 AM
    Babel? As in, "Tower of"?

I would have loved to have been part of that meeting where they decided on that name change.
    I *think* it is "Babble." Though "Babel" is an apt descriptor for the current state of Android messaging, with all the competing/conflicting services.
    04-09-13 08:02 AM
    For the foreseeable future, Google will probably avoid supporting BlackBerry at all costs. The only way Google might end up supporting them is if BlackBerry 10 becomes extremely successful (i.e. outsells iOS), which isn't something BlackBerry can do overnight.
    Or they could use Blackberry support to help drive Microsoft down. At the end of the day, Blackberry is not an Android competitor in the sense that Windows Phone is. Google and Microsoft and battling for search and enterprise supremacy. Google's end game is to collect data from people to "enhance" their services which is why they get just as much value having a full suite of Google apps on iOS as they do on Android. It is not that far fetched to think that if BB10 can show initial growth and consistent sales, Google will provide some development.
    04-09-13 08:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not entirely related but your wish might be fulfilled.
    Google faces complaint to European regulator over 'predatory pricing' | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    04-09-13 08:49 AM
    Very clear where? They are happily making apps for iOS, and jumped at the chance the moment Apple finally allowed them to. Previously, Apple insisted that they develop their google apps in house. Google's business model is based around encouraging any platform being able to use their services.
    04-09-13 09:53 AM
    I *think* it is "Babble." Though "Babel" is an apt descriptor for the current state of Android messaging, with all the competing/conflicting services.
    Correcting myself correcting others... I am seeing Babel as well as Babble as the code term.
    04-09-13 12:07 PM
    Very clear where? They are happily making apps for iOS, and jumped at the chance the moment Apple finally allowed them to. Previously, Apple insisted that they develop their google apps in house. Google's business model is based around encouraging any platform being able to use their services.
    Not true. The reason apple kicked Google maps out was because, Google was not updating with new features, such as turn by turn navigation. When they rebuilt the app, apple let them back in. As for BlackBerry, imo they stopped developing to give their platform momentum when BlackBerry was at their weakest point. If Google wanted openness, they would allow their apps on BlackBerry 10. Heck you can run Google maps as an android app out of the box. Lastly, just today Microsoft and nokia are asking for an anti trust lawsuit against Google because of their anti competitive policies. Enough said.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:02 PM
    Not true. The reason apple kicked Google maps out was because, Google was not updating with new features, such as turn by turn navigation. When they rebuilt the app, apple let them back in. As for BlackBerry, imo they stopped developing to give their platform momentum when BlackBerry was at their weakest point. If Google wanted openness, they would allow their apps on BlackBerry 10. Heck you can run Google maps as an android app out of the box. Lastly, just today Microsoft and nokia are asking for an anti trust lawsuit against Google because of their anti competitive policies. Enough said.

Posted via CB10

I think Ralphy's assertion was more accurate, IIRC. I don't think the Google maps squabble had to do with an inferior product. Feel free to correct me though.

Microsoft is not necessarily the embodiment of fair play. Plenty of tech companies sue to distract from self-inflicted wounds.
    04-09-13 06:12 PM
    The best way I found to access Google apps has been by bookmark at home screen m.google.com and access the apps from the browser. To see more options I select Translate and pick more options from there.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 06:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Enlightment me on whats so anti competitive about Android... The only thing Blackberry has to do is just load it up on their phones. Every phone is unlocked and easily customizable per the user. The carriers take their software and load it up with bloat and then locks the phone down so you cant remove it. Why doesnt Blackberry make apps for all the other platforms?? I mean people cry that no one is giving Blackberry a chance by not developing apps for them, yet BB hasnt produced anything in return.

BB cant be all take and no give. Some company puts billions in creating a good map service, but want to spend more expenditures making it for another platform.

SMH @ people thinking someone does all the work for something and lets you download it for free, but get upset because they only require you to load their apps on the phones(which can be removed by the user) as a requirement.
    04-09-13 06:47 PM
    Historically they only support devices with a large user base in the U.S. At the moment is their own (Android) and iOS.

When BlackBerry had a large marketshare, Google did develop a couple of apps but now that BlackBerry is at 1-5% marketshare, is very unlikely in the near future.
    04-09-13 07:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wow... you are grossly misinformed.

1st. Apple never kicked Google Maps out. From the iPhone's inception, Apple developed their own in house build of Google Maps and didn't allow Google to develop it. Any missing features was the result of Apple's influence since Google had no say in the matter. Apple decided that they would attempt to venture into their own mapping solution, and thus replaced Google Maps with their own maps solution as the default and integrated service. Even before the transition, Apple then gave the okay for Google to begin developing a Google Maps app for iOS to be available as a third party app. Google happily jumped at the chance and it didn't take long for Google to produce the app, with features iOS users had been clamoring for.

2nd. Google didn't stop developing apps for BlackBerry to give their own platform momentum. The simple fact of the matter is that some of the previously available google mobile apps were simply rendered obsolete (ie. google sync) since the BBOS already duplicated the same functionality integrated into the OS. The remaining google apps don't see much support anymore either, but that's attributed to the legacy BBOS becoming obsolete, and thus viewed to be not worth continuing in lieu of BB10. In time, I'm relatively confident that there will be BB10 apps released. Google has even gone as far as lending their support (in the form of consultation) to RIM/BBRY to develop the Android runtime built into BB10.

3rd. The antitrust suit reported today is a completely different topic. The suit argues that Google strong-arms OEM's into only bundling specific apps/packages/services, which is an unfounded and untrue allegation. Realistically, this is just simply another step in the Microsoft campaign to damage Google. Microsoft absolutely hates the fact that Google distributes Android absolutely free to OEM's. Additionally, since Google's recent public statement that they wouldn't sue anybody over patents unless first having patent suits brought against them, Microsoft is trying to goad them into doing just that by suing over anything they can think of without specifically bringing a new patent suit against them.

Piece of advice... read more than just partial headlines, and try to understand what's really going on.
    04-09-13 08:20 PM
    Enlightment me on whats so anti competitive about Android... The only thing Blackberry has to do is just load it up on their phones. Every phone is unlocked and easily customizable per the user. The carriers take their software and load it up with bloat and then locks the phone down so you cant remove it. Why doesnt Blackberry make apps for all the other platforms?? I mean people cry that no one is giving Blackberry a chance by not developing apps for them, yet BB hasnt produced anything in return.

BB cant be all take and no give. Some company puts billions in creating a good map service, but want to spend more expenditures making it for another platform.

SMH @ people thinking someone does all the work for something and lets you download it for free, but get upset because they only require you to load their apps on the phones(which can be removed by the user) as a requirement.
    Apple never made apps for other platforms.

Oh and BlackBerry made the "Balance " feature for iOS and Android, doesn't that count as contributing to other platforms?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 10:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your a fortune teller!!

You will get a kick out of this article on CBC. The irony is Microsoft is complaining Google (android) is dominating the market!
    Http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...antitrust.html

From Zed to U via CB
    04-09-13 11:58 PM
    One word: no.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:23 AM
    Part of the problem is that Google charge the phone-makers for the apps. A guy from Blackberry told me Google wanted about $100m for Maps on BB10. I imagine Apple ended u having to pay that too.
    If this is true then I think Blackberry should've paid up to get the Google Apps. Having these apps on the platform goes a longer way than any advertising.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 12:27 AM
29 12