I am planning to switch to a blackberry. I am from the philippines. I have some questions regarding the use of these devices in the Philippines. Here are some of my questions:
    1) I am a smart user. As per my understanding Smart charges on a per KB downloaded (15cents)
    a) if there is a wifi spot available and i send or receive an email will i be charged 15cents or will it be free since i am in a wifi hot spot?
    b) BBM can be used in a wifi hot spot? or will i be charged 15cents per kb?

2) i am now using a nokia e90 phone, (sill thinking of moving to blackberry 9700 next week) will this be a good move? will i have a difficult time to adjust?

3) I am afraid that if i move to blackberry, my phone bill might sky rocket. but my agent in smart told me that the costs are very minimal because it is only 15 cents per kb, and whenever an email is received blackberry converts the email to a smaller file. How true is this?

4) if i go abroad will it be cheaper for me to communicate using SMS or BBM? (assuming that people i communicate with have blackberry's...)

I hope the Filipino community who own blackberrys can share their thoughts with me... I am greatly considering this phone... Thanks.
    08-17-10 02:32 AM
    once in a wifi spot, if properly connected, all data goes through wifi and not through the mobile network. so you shouldnt get charged for it.
    08-17-10 02:52 AM
    once in a wifi spot, if properly connected, all data goes through wifi and not through the mobile network. so you shouldnt get charged for it.
    Is there a special setting for that or the blackberry does it automatically?
    08-17-10 02:54 AM
    Is there a special setting for that or the blackberry does it automatically?
    once you are connected to wifi, the phone should default all data to the wifi network. you can test it by turning off your mobile network and see if it still works over wifi. your wifi icon will turn from grey to white.
    08-17-10 03:00 AM
    so is it safe to assume that if i am abroad for example, if there are available wifi spots, i do not have to be concerned about the costs i will entail if i send and receive email and/or BBM since these will all be fore free. Am I correct with m assumption?
    08-17-10 03:32 AM
    yes as long as you are on wifi, and not using the mobile network, data will/should be free.
    08-17-10 04:04 AM
    how will i know if i am on wifi or on the mobile network? will the phone automatically switch to wifi once it detect such? it prioritizes connecting to the (net/ email/ bbm ) if wifi is available over the network?
    08-17-10 04:08 AM
    it should prioritize wifi as the connection. as i stated, when fully connected to wifi the logo turns white.
    08-17-10 05:24 AM
    once you are connected to wifi, the phone should default all data to the wifi network. you can test it by turning off your mobile network and see if it still works over wifi. your wifi icon will turn from grey to white.
    Question..
    How does the Blackberry detect if you have BIS when only connected through wifi?
    08-17-10 06:55 AM
    Question..
    How does the Blackberry detect if you have BIS when only connected through wifi?
    through the SIM card or the phone i guess. the other day during a power outtage, the at&t network went down. my call dropped, it said "Searching for Network" then went to an X then to SOS. i was still able to BBM, email and surf the net over my home wifi. calls and SMS were not going through, as the network was down. since i have BIS, i was able to stay connected. if not, i only wouldve had wifi internet, no BBM or email.
    08-17-10 07:26 AM
    i think BIS is tied to the phones PIN and IMEI serials.
    08-17-10 10:29 AM
    through the SIM card or the phone i guess. the other day during a power outtage, the at&t network went down. my call dropped, it said "Searching for Network" then went to an X then to SOS. i was still able to BBM, email and surf the net over my home wifi. calls and SMS were not going through, as the network was down. since i have BIS, i was able to stay connected. if not, i only wouldve had wifi internet, no BBM or email.
    Yea i tested it and strangely bbm, msn and email where still pulling through with the wifi only connection. But when i didnt have the BIS subscription non if it worked not even the MSN messenger.
    08-18-10 01:55 AM
    Yea i tested it and strangely bbm, msn and email where still pulling through with the wifi only connection. But when i didnt have the BIS subscription non if it worked not even the MSN messenger.
    uh yea because BBM, emails and MSN require a blackberry data plan to be active on the SIM card in order to work.
    08-18-10 02:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD