...In order to do that I NEED Google Hangouts...
    Wants, needs and available solutions (including the pros and cons of solution options) are important things to grasp in order to understand your requirements. They can often be relative, subjective and sometimes get interchanged. I'd hazard to guess that you don't actually require Google Hangouts. I'd guess that you require a solution for the things you need and Google Hangouts just happens to be the solution of choice right now, for whatever reason, to satisfy your requirements.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-09-18 06:57 PM
    Wants, needs and available solutions (including the pros and cons of solution options) are important things to grasp in order to understand your requirements. They can often be relative, subjective and sometimes get interchanged. I'd hazard to guess that you don't actually require Google Hangouts. I'd guess that you require a solution for the things you need and Google Hangouts just happens to be the solution of choice right now, for whatever reason, to satisfy your requirements.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    When the rest of the team is using it, it IS a requirement.
    05-09-18 07:51 PM
    No, the requirement is still about the need to work with the team, and the limitation or the constraint on the requirement just happens to be that the team isn't changing their tool, so the solution to adequately satisfy the requirement ends up as having to adopt the same tool.

Opinions and Semantics, kind of like the rest of the discussion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-09-18 08:02 PM
    When the rest of the team is using it, it IS a requirement.
    I would add that as a consultant with multiple clients I have to access multiple tools; MS Teams, Smartsheet, Trello, Slack, ect, every week I seem to add some kind of new communications or project management app based on the whatever the client uses. I have never run into an app I couldn't just install on iOS and I imagine the same is true for Android. On BB10 I would have to use a web app on a crappy browser, no thanks.
    05-09-18 08:13 PM
    No, the requirement is still about the need to work with the team, and the limitation or the constraint on the requirement just happens to be that the team isn't changing their tool, so the solution to adequately satisfy the requirement ends up as having to adopt the same tool.

Opinions and Semantics, kind of like the rest of the discussion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    So now entire teams should lose efficiency as they spend company time on side-loading apks. Really? You’re not being serious. That decision process would be career limiting to career ending.
    05-09-18 08:17 PM
    I am about as hardcore of a BlackBerry 10 user as it gets out there. I literally only do calls, texts,emails and light browsing on my Passport SE. If you had asked me 3 months ago how much longer I will be able to go ahead and continue to use my Passport, I would have said maybe 2 years or so. That answer now is quickly changing because of the rapid decline in performance for all things BlackBerry 10 for me, persoally.

I use very few apps but a few ones that I did/do use number a total of 14 or so. Of those 15 apps which are banking, sports, weather, music etc, about 10 have lost either functionality or some level of use in the last 3 months.

The browser could have been a replaceable workaround for a few of these apps but on about 5 of them, the browser won't load the page or the security certificate won't allow the browser to work.

Even native apps like Maps has gone downhill and in unexpected fashion. I don't have any issues with Maps in the handful of times I use it per year at home in Canada but I was in Greece visiting family last summer, I am about to leave central Athens after some business meetings and head out to meet friends and family for dinner and all of a sudden I find my maps won't work. No turn by turn navigation and I tried native version, BeMaps Pro and another. Nothing would work, it created a very stressful random situation. I guess I could have gone down the old fashion way of buying a city map, sure but it's another added expense.

I am having a MMS text messaging issue that I would like to try and fix, previously BlackBerry Link worked without any issue on my laptop. Now I am not able to have it connect to my devices at all, I want to do a backup and restore of the OS to see if it fixes the issue and update the software. I can't get BlackBerry Link to work.

Say nothing of the fact that finding parts such as batteries, screens will be harder and more expensive than before but keeping onto BlackBerry 10 will be hard going forward. I know there are some very passionate fans on this board that say they will use BlackBerry 10 for another 5-10 years etc but let's not fool ourselves here. Getting BlackBerry Link to work to backup items, finding a shop to replace a battery or a screen and have a carrier who will allow things such as MMS messages to work will become very hard to do.

I understand that defeat is never easy but with such basic chores as checking what time a store is open until, backing up important documents and sending picture messages for business become almost impossible to do now, I don't see how it will work come 2025 like some suggest.

Good luck to all though!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    05-09-18 08:17 PM
    So now entire teams should lose efficiency as they spend company time on side-loading apks. Really? You’re not being serious. That decision process would be career limiting to career ending.
    I didn't suggest that. It's pretty clear that in the scenario the preferred option would be to simply adopt the tool the team is using, and use a device that has the best chance of being able to continue to seamlessly support (without having work on it as a second job) the tool (or multiple other possible similar tools that the team might end up switching to depending on the flavour of the day, especially if decisions for what team tool to use are not under your control).

The scenario is logically sound (and no it doesn't suggest to stick to BB10), no it wasn't suggested in seriousness, and no it wouldn't be career ending/limiting. It's a ridiculously trivial scenario but if people don't at least once and a while spend a bit of time to understand why they are making the decisions they are then that is simply silly, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    05-09-18 08:31 PM

The vast majority of users don't even know what a file manager is, let alone believe it's a core function.

Why are you the definer? Can't we just agree that the definition is personal and leave it at that?
    So according to you, the 'vast majority' of users don't have the faintest idea about basic utilities, thus aren't qualified to make any sort of determination.

But let's not forget. You agree with me already, having defined file management as a 'core function' so you agree people who think it isn't are wrong. You don't hold a wrong view do you? Of course not.

So holding a correct view you understand that people who hold the wrong view are in your assessment wrong. There, we agree.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    05-09-18 09:09 PM
    So according to you, the 'vast majority' of users don't have the faintest idea about basic utilities, thus aren't qualified to make any sort of determination.

But let's not forget. You agree with me already, having defined file management as a 'core function' so you agree people who think it isn't are wrong. You don't hold a wrong view do you? Of course not.

So holding a correct view you understand that people who hold the wrong view are in your assessment wrong. There, we agree.

Posted via CB10
    No. I said that file management is a basic function for ME. But it is not for the vast majority of people.

I didn't say others weren't qualified. I said that they know darn well what is a basic function for THEM.
    05-09-18 09:32 PM
84 ... 234