Was wondering if there was any BlackBerry TIMEX smartwatches in future?
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    09-29-18 06:44 PM
    There’s no indication that there will be. Seems like pretty unlikely at this time.
    09-29-18 07:27 PM
    BB is well out of the consumer hardware market with no plans to return. They are focused on enterprise software solutions.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-29-18 07:39 PM
    Does TCL make smartwatches to stick a label and markup over?
    09-29-18 08:00 PM
    OP I believe was likely referring to the licence agreement between BlackBerry and Timex in late 2017. OP nothing has been reported on that since the agreement.
    09-29-18 09:53 PM
    BB is well out of the consumer hardware market with no plans to return. They are focused on enterprise software solutions.
    People are aware of that and not what the OP was asking.
    09-29-18 09:54 PM
    Would be neat if Was running BlackBerry made only apps .
    09-29-18 10:06 PM
    Would be neat if Was running BlackBerry made only apps .
    You mean the non-existent product about which there isn’t even a hint of rumors? The one that probably won’t ever exist?
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-30-18 08:03 AM
    People are aware of that and not what the OP was asking.
    This very question makes it clear that not everyone is aware. And a licensing agreement doesn't mean that two companies are going to make some co-branded product. Often it simply means that a company wants to include a feature or system in a product and learns that another company owns the patent for that idea, and it's cheaper to license it than to develop an alternative method to accomplish the same thing.

But you can bank that BB-branded smart watches running BB software isn't even on the minds of anyone at BB. Their focus is elsewhere, and I'm not sure if anyone but Apple is making money on smart watches. It's not a business that BB has any business being in.
    10-01-18 12:34 PM
    This very question makes it clear that not everyone is aware. And a licensing agreement doesn't mean that two companies are going to make some co-branded product. Often it simply means that a company wants to include a feature or system in a product and learns that another company owns the patent for that idea, and it's cheaper to license it than to develop an alternative method to accomplish the same thing.

But you can bank that BB-branded smart watches running BB software isn't even on the minds of anyone at BB. Their focus is elsewhere, and I'm not sure if anyone but Apple is making money on smart watches. It's not a business that BB has any business being in.
    Yes again, we are aware of how licencing works. The OP was simply asking if it was going to happen the way it did with TCL who licenced the software and the brand name. And I can see why that question would come up because nobody really knows what this agreement with Timex is/was or is even existent still.
    10-01-18 02:45 PM
    take a look
    10-20-18 05:01 PM
    take a look
    That's a concept from 4 years ago. The OP is asking about something tangible.
    10-20-18 10:02 PM
    Timex and Blackberry entered a royalty agreement but the details are not disclosed. What this probably means is Timex was already using a patent of Blackberry and Blackberry is now coming around and collecting.

Blackberry has a massive patent portfolio but hasn't been aggressive collecting. One of Chen's early strategies was to monetize their patents starting with the big players already using them, giving them the option for partnership first before they move to litigation.
    10-23-18 09:35 AM