Just bought a Blackweb from Walmart, 20,000 Mah. ($35 Cdn)Charges a Blackberry Playbook and an iPad FAST. I plan to use it for my cars dashcam also so I can power it all night and not worry about my car battery running dead.

Just wondering what people’s experiences are with Batterybanks and what brands are decent out there.

If a device is 5v, how long would it take to drain 20,000 mah?

08-02-18 08:20 PM
    Lots of good ones here. Video is older but most have the same version available or similar upgrades now.

RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-02-18 09:02 PM
    Lots of good ones here. Video is older but most have the same version available or similar upgrades now.

Awesome thnx!
    08-02-18 09:05 PM
    Well might be taking this one back, it took 2 hours to go from 19% to 21%
    08-02-18 09:11 PM
    Just bought a Blackweb from Walmart, 20,000 Mah. ($35 Cdn)Charges a Blackberry Playbook and an iPad FAST. I plan to use it for my cars dashcam also so I can power it all night and not worry about my car battery running dead.

Just wondering what people’s experiences are with Batterybanks and what brands are decent out there.

If a device is 5v, how long would it take to drain 20,000 mah?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09552197f2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3203414258.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c8c79d952c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f1bda75af9.jpg
    If the marketing info was accurate the battery could supply 1amp for 20 hours, or 2 amps for 10 hours. I would guess the actual to be ~4000mah.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-02-18 10:22 PM
    If the marketing info was accurate the battery could supply 1amp for 20 hours, or 2 amps for 10 hours. I would guess the actual to be ~4000mah.
    4000 only? That’s quite a hit or loss from 20k.

I’m only at 31% charged and I started at 19% 3.5 hours ago. Man this thing must take 8 hours or more to hit 100%. It is a beast though.
    08-02-18 10:30 PM
    Maybe some “breaking in” is required and hopefully it will charge quicker as the battery gets more conditioned over time......hopefully
    08-02-18 10:31 PM
    What are you charging it with? Bigger batts take more amps and/or more hours to fill. Aka bigger charging supply. How warm is it getting? No clue what BMS strategy Blackweb employs but suspect it's monitoring temperature? Of course the cells themselves might be delaminated? I'd give it some time with good solid supply. Maybe on the back porch? Till it proves itself? (Or in the freezer?? Lol) Runaway LiPo can leave an awful stench when letting their smoke out, tho. Lol. Getting a fresh batch of smoke put back in is typically prohibitive. Haha.

If planning to power dashcam, you'll ultimately want to charge with vehicle 12vdc while engine runs. Assuming plug shuts off with ignition key? 12vdc usb converters can be notoriously lousy. I fab my own beasts. Happy to provide diagrams & parts lists... So long as no liability? . AYOR if car burns. Lol.

Careful of summertime heat in car. Windshield greenhouse effect on dashboard might be pretty brutal on LiPo. Consider coolest location possible. Floor pans can make surprisingly good thermal sinks... Fwiw.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-02-18 11:48 PM
    What are you charging it with? Bigger batts take more amps and/or more hours to fill. Aka bigger charging supply. How warm is it getting? No clue what BMS strategy Blackweb employs but suspect it's monitoring temperature? Of course the cells themselves might be delaminated? I'd give it some time with good solid supply. Maybe on the back porch? Till it proves itself? (Or in the freezer?? Lol) Runaway LiPo can leave an awful stench when letting their smoke out, tho. Lol. Getting a fresh batch of smoke put back in is typically prohibitive. Haha.

If planning to power dashcam, you'll ultimately want to charge with vehicle 12vdc while engine runs. Assuming plug shuts off with ignition key? 12vdc usb converters can be notoriously lousy. I fab my own beasts. Happy to provide diagrams & parts lists... So long as no liability? . AYOR if car burns. Lol.

Careful of summertime heat in car. Windshield greenhouse effect on dashboard might be pretty brutal on LiPo. Consider coolest location possible. Floor pans can make surprisingly good thermal sinks... Fwiw.
    I’m using a 2.1 Amp 10 Watt charger, and my own Bose Speaker Micro USB cable. The cable included with the batterybank is a joke, only about 6 inches long and no more.

The battery is absolutely cool to the touch and I did expect it to get a little warm, but not so.

Can I assume it has a battery full shut off circuit protection? Ya I’m definitely going to unplug it before bedtime as I am hot enough and don’t need a fire to prove it.

“BMS?”

Not a LiPo battery but a Lithium ion (I researched) and it is a HEAVY unit! As I understand it lithium polymer are more expensive to make and they are much lighter. The battery in my FitBit Blaze supposedly is a more-expensive lithium polymer battery, but I understand they are basically the same thing for chemical composition and duration of charge?

Well I park in an underground Parkade where I live so not worried about heat. My car has an “always hot” cigarette lighter so I do unplug the dashcam overnight. ONCE I did leave my older dashcam plugged in all night and the car battery was still fine. I am at around 13.5 volts after I shut the engine off and after several hours my car battery is sitting around 11.9-12.3 volts. My car battery is 3 years old and around 850 CCA. I just don’t want to take the chance for a couple days if I do not drive and forget to unplug it. I also know that they make shut off cables for dash cams that you can buy off eBay fairly cheaply for around $15 that have a built-in circuit and you connect it directly to the OBD2 diagnostic plug under your dash and then to the dash cam and when it senses your battery is low it actually shuts off the dash cam, usually around 11.8 V or so but I don’t really want to bother doing something like that, plus not sure I trust them and for winter in Canada I want all the CCA’s I can get to turn over that smooth Buick V6. Yes, during the daytime I will run the power to the dashcam with the direct socket cable and then overnight I will connect to the PowerBank. My buddy has a newer Buick LaCrosse and he HATES the fact that the cigarette socket shuts off after 10 minutes and he says you can’t even keep an electric cooler in your car for food or drinks! He also wants to keep his dashcam running all night long so I think these batterybanks are a good idea.

My dashcam is an RSC NANO and it does not contain a small battery but rather a Capacitor which makes it safer for extreme temperature fluctuations such as Canadian winters to our blazing hot summers (sometimes hotter than California)

https://rsc-labs.com/nano/
    08-03-18 12:10 AM
    The box says 72.3W battery. You have a 10W charger which is exactly as the input specs on the box (5V/2A). All is saying that it would take at least 7.23 hrs to charge from 0 to full. 100% efficiency is never achievable so let's assume min charging time of 8 hrs there. You want big battery yeah?

Posted via CB10
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-03-18 05:51 AM
    The box says 72.3W battery.
    Watt hours actually.

Here is quick and dirty way to test your battery pack.
    Get a USB bulb for ~$20.00CAD.
    Charge the battery pack to the max.
    Disconnect the battery pack from its charger.
    Connect the USB bulb and start a timer.
    Stop the timer when the bulb goes out.
    A time lapse camera makes this really easy.

If the bulb draws 5 watts and the watt hour rating for the battery pack is accurate the bulb should burn for ~14.5 hours.
    Prepare to be disappointed
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-03-18 09:59 AM
    Well I unplugged it at bedtime and it showed 76% charged. The first charge is painfully show but I expect that for a new device and the fact it is a monster. So it took 8 hours to charge from 19% to 76% and it has several hours to go.

I did see one YouTube vid where the guy took a meter and tested the capacity of a 20,000 mah powerbank it the actual was something like 12,000 mah. So it is probably a good idea to buy the biggest bank you can find if there is that much loss.
    08-03-18 11:11 AM
    If the bulb draws 5 watts and the watt hour rating for the battery pack is accurate the bulb should burn for ~14.5 hours.
    Prepare to be disappointed
    I guess if I could even get say.....6 or 7 hours out of it then it would be ok. With the cam set to Parking mode (motion detection) it should save some of the juice for when it needs it.

I’m out of town for a few more days but it will be interesting to see the drain rate of the Bank and that’s why I like this newer model has the digital readout and not the 4 lights that came on last years model.
    08-03-18 11:17 AM
    Well good news, I plugged it in and it was 76% and about an hour later when I checked it it said 100%, so that last part really went fast, probably just needed some priming.

Might plug it in again later for a few hours just to make sure it’s fully topped up despite with the gauge says and I’ll check for heat, etc.
    08-03-18 01:18 PM
    I'm using >this< for a while now ~ and it is performing splendidly.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-03-18 02:16 PM
    I'm using >this< for a while now ~ and it is performing splendidly.
    The price seems right!!!! How long to charge?
    08-03-18 03:22 PM
    The price seems right!!!! How long to charge?
    Oh, I use 2x18650 Li-ion batteries in it - and charge them externally. Thus, the charging time will depend on their mAh, their pulse/drain ratings as well as the capability of the charger.

Any Battery Bank users out there?-charging.jpg
    Image clicked with my BlackBerry Passport White

Mine's a Nitecore Intellicharger with 2A output. Thus, most of my battery pairs charge to full in 30-45 minuets.

However, I always carry additional batteries in my bag/car/briefcase ~ so charging my stuff has never been a cause of concern.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    08-03-18 07:35 PM
    Oh, I use 2x18650 Li-ion batteries in it - and charge them externally. Thus, the charging time will depend on their mAh, their pulse/drain ratings as well as the capability of the charger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charging.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	438694
    Image clicked with my BlackBerry Passport White

Mine's a Nitecore Intellicharger with 2A output. Thus, most of my battery pairs charge to full in 30-45 minuets.

However, I always carry additional batteries in my bag/car/briefcase ~ so charging my stuff has never been a cause of concern.
    Pretty serious, your setup. Just looked up the Nightcore and it appears you can swap batteries, pretty cool. What is the total MAH on the device?
    08-03-18 08:05 PM
    Conditioned it one full charging cycle, from 100 to 5% then back to 100.

Is that enough or should I do it a couple more times?
    08-06-18 07:12 PM