Just ordered a cheap Lumia 650 to give windows phone a try. Anyone else go that route recently that has tips, advice, or regrets to share ?

Tell you one thing, I'm gonna miss my hub
    neoberry99 likes this.
    10-19-16 11:27 PM
    Let us know how it goes. I am considering the same move.
    10-19-16 11:36 PM
    I'm on a 950XL, the only thing I miss is BBM. Stick to the official releases, don't bother with insider builds yet. I also have an iPhone, don't miss the hub.

Depends on what you use, really.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-20-16 12:20 AM
    The 950XL looks like a great device and gets really good reviews. As I am not a mobile gamer or social app user (how can I be, I use a BlackBerry), I suspect that Win phone would work well for me. I just hope that MS is committed to the platform.
    10-20-16 11:35 AM
    Don't

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 12:39 PM
    Just ordered a cheap Lumia 650 to give windows phone a try. Anyone else go that route recently that has tips, advice, or regrets to share ?

Tell you one thing, I'm gonna miss my hub
    I'd echo what Zocster said. it depends on how you use it.

I loved WinPhone's "live tiles" paradigm, and I still do. Compared with BBW, the Windows Appstore is a lot bigger and looks pretty full actually - some big-name Apps are there, and there are some clone Apps that are good replacements for the original. As a BB10 guy, you'd likely feel right at home with how many Apps are present and might grow to love the live tiles. And if you're a camera fan, the camera on most WinPhones is normally very good.

So why am I now on iPhone? It's because some of my must-have Apps are being withdrawn by the developer. My bank's App is one of those must-have Apps for me. I'm not a heavy App user, but there are enough that have become part of my core phone usage and it would be inconvenient to have to do without them. So I bought an iPhone.

By contrast, my son (18) bought a Lumia 950 and is very happy with it. He uses Apps much more than me but, for him, the App situation on WinPhone is fine.

All I can suggest is that you give WinPhone a fair trial and see if you like it based on the genuinely nice things it offers. If you go into it expecting it to be just like BB10, and judging it on that basis, then you'll be disappointed. If you're prepared to go though a small learning curve, you might find you really like it.

Enjoy!
    10-20-16 01:10 PM
    I have Windows phone for work, they changed our BlackBerrys with these.

My experience with windows phone at work is a disaster: too slow, messy and definitely seems unfinished.

In my opinion there's no future for Windows phone, numbers are showing this...

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 05:10 PM
    I picked up a 650 quite a while ago. I flip between it and my Z10, only because I chat to the niece in England via BBM voice. It's the only time I have noticed the "app gap"
    Like any non bb10 phone it took me a bit to get used to using silly buttons to switch between apps. Now I am used to it so it's acceptable.
    You can link your email accounts into 1 inbox so emails generally pretty easy.
    I don't find the phone slow or laggy, but I don't use it hard either.
    A typical day consists of 75+ email, 120-150 mins on the phone, hundreds of texts/BBM, FB, bit of browsing, social media posting for business promotion.
    Sure it may not have traction now, or ever, but it's not a bad phone at all.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    10-20-16 06:59 PM
    A good choice I think.

I was using Windows phones here before retreating back to BB10 to take advantage of Playbook Bridging to make up for lack of non cellular internet.

The 650, 1520, and 950 are all solid choices.

Get a good sized sdxc memory card and a nice case and enjoy your new platform.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 09:47 PM
    Pick Android or IOS. You're only delaying the inevitable. Loyal BBOS and BB10 user of last 15 years. Owned WP off and on as second lines since 2007. Have additionally owned Android/IOS devices since 2010. The mobile ecosystem battle is over. I recently have owned Nokia/Lumia 1520, 635 and 640 along with my BlackBerrys. I like my Android PRIV. For the future, pick Android/IOS and embrace progress....
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-20-16 10:24 PM
    Thanks for the comments ! Should have the phone tomorrow, so time will tell .... I have a limited number of Apps that I need, and with the windows 10 universal apps, I'm sure there catalog is going to grow fast. With that being said however, I've noticed one of my key apps ISN'T available on Win10, its my time and billing app, so it's really going to be an issue :/ At least with BB10 I was able to side load it.

Chuck, I'll never use android... I think PRIV is such an ironic name for BB's first android phone, considering Google is now harvesting data from everything you do on that phone ... Priv my hairy arse Apple, Meh maybe, but only as a last resort hehe and I will go kicking and screaming
    10-21-16 12:19 AM
    I'm on a 950XL, the only thing I miss is BBM.
    Hopefully it will be replaced with a universal app that has voice and video chats but given BBRY's resources it seems unlikely. Fortunately I installed it on my Lumia before it was pulled.
    10-21-16 12:31 AM
    Pick Android or IOS. You're only delaying the inevitable. Loyal BBOS and BB10 user of last 15 years. Owned WP off and on as second lines since 2007. Have additionally owned Android/IOS devices since 2010. The mobile ecosystem battle is over. I recently have owned Nokia/Lumia 1520, 635 and 640 along with my BlackBerrys. I like my Android PRIV. For the future, pick Android/IOS and embrace progress....
    I use Android on a Samsung Galaxy tablet everyday and I really dislike the OS, so an Android phone is simply not an option for me. An iPhone, maybe, but only as a last resort. As for delaying the inevitable, that may be true and it depends on the strategy from MS. If they take the approach that they had with the XBOX, where they purposely played the long game and accepted years of financial losses on it until they acquired enough market share, then Win10 phones may have a good shot for longevity. That MAY be the case as they are moving to produce their own devices with the upcoming Surface phones. Time will tell.
    10-21-16 06:59 AM
    I tried a Lumia 950 for a few months. It is a beautiful phone with a great camera. I liked the live tiles once I got them set up and organized properly. It had all the apps I needed and I'm sure will get more, had plenty of memory plus SD, removable battery, and USBC.

I did have enough issues to make me decide to trade it for yet another BB10 phone.
    For me it was a big learning curve. I did some "one on one" sessions at Microsoft and even they couldn't answer some of my questions. (I never had anyone help me with the BBs, iPhone or Android phones).

I had trouble syncing my calendar and accepting invitations. They said I had to use Outlook.com , which I don't usually use, and that wouldn't sync properly with my Outlook. The MS people couldn't figure that out out for me.

Opening and closing apps isn't as seamless and intuitive as on BB10. If I left the back bar open I would often hit it by accident while typing and it went to the home screen. If I closed it, I had to reopen it to get off the app.

I'm sure, if it were my only phone, I would have been very happy with it. But I was going back and forth between the Lumia and Z30, which started to get confusing and gave me a headache. To keep my sanity I had to chose one, and the Z30 won!

You will probably enjoy your Lumia. If all my BB10s die, or become too obsolete, I might try it again. Or whatever newfangled phone is out by then. For now, BB10 works just fine for me. BB

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic
    10-21-16 07:17 AM