I have been doing a lot of research about having an antivirus software on my BB, but cannot decide if it is worth having one on any BB. I installed LookOut awhile back, but ended up using it for contact and picture backup. Do any CB members use an antivirus? And if so, what brand and why?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-11 11:00 PM
    Not at all...not necessary as long as you're careful about what 3rd party apps you install on your Blackberry and what permissions you allow it (for example, many apps that have nothing to do with Personal Information Management ask for access to your personal info, be sure to block that).

And even then, just deleting the offending app is usually enough.
    09-06-11 11:21 PM
    Not needed. Its not a Windows PC....
    09-06-11 11:23 PM
    What antivirus have you even found?
    There's a lot of these threads, and even one would be more than the number of blackberry viruses.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 11:32 PM
    Currently there is no virus for BlackBerry, and even if one is found, RIM will surely address it themselves (security is one of their selling points after all)

Any "security" software that claims that they "protect" your BlackBerry from virus is lying, even Jared Company requires you to actually install and allow their hidden malware to access your personal info before it can do anything, and it doesn't even harm your actual device, only your personal information

My thoughts is backed by the fact that while Kaspersky claims that their Kaspersky Mobile Security product protects Android and iOS users from virus, for BlackBerry version the only thing they do is cloning BlackBerry Protect from RIM, and add additional features that free apps can give

Note that I'm not saying that there is a virus for Android or iOS.

So, if you need "protection" for your BlackBerry, go download BlackBerry Protect or the equivalent. Don't download anything that says something like "real-time protection" or "virus", you're wasting your battery charge

09-07-11 12:17 AM
    You don't need AV for a blackberry.

09-07-11 01:19 AM
    Anti-virus is not necessary on phones.. Unless you're using Android :P

09-07-11 02:20 AM
    What antivirus have you even found?
    There's a lot of these threads, and even one would be more than the number of blackberry viruses.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    There is LookOut and SmrtGuard for BB's. I know that BB's don't really need an antivirus app, but wa just curious what everyone thought considering there are companies making av for BB's.
    09-07-11 12:22 PM
    I'm sure many others have said this, but you don't need antivirus for a BlackBerry
    09-07-11 04:52 PM
    I'm sure many others have said this, but you don't need antivirus for a BlackBerry
    Understood, thanks! Why then do software developers make an antivirus that is not needed for our particular devices, besides for the $$?
    09-08-11 06:48 AM
    Never had a need for one.

Gotta love BB.
    09-08-11 07:24 AM
    I too don't think it's necessary.
    09-08-11 10:18 AM
    Of course it is!
    09-08-11 12:43 PM
    Of course it is!
    Not on a BB it's not.
    09-08-11 02:39 PM
    One born every minute. Not a chance. Scam.
    09-08-11 07:51 PM
    Besides the fact that anti-virus would be ineffective, it will wate the processor and slightly reduce your battery life. Use Blackberry Protect to back up your information everyday. This way, in a worst case situation, you would only lose your BIS email stored on the device.

09-08-11 09:47 PM
    Now, if you had an Android.... whole nuther story.
    09-09-11 07:58 AM
    I have been doing a lot of research about having an antivirus software on my BB, but cannot decide if it is worth having one on any BB. I installed LookOut awhile back, but ended up using it for contact and picture backup. Do any CB members use an antivirus? And if so, what brand and why?

I have the same BB as you do and I also just updated to the 9930 Bold. I have owned a BB for 5 years and have never used antivirus software, Not needed and a waste of money, Let it go.
    09-09-11 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD