Got my new bold, and the wifi is on but it is grey, when I go to "manage connections" wifi is green but the box looks like this [-] there is no green check, when I turn of my router securities settings off the wifi turns white and a green check appears.

Without leaving my router unprotected how can I fix this?

Thanks,
    Sam
    06-22-10 11:25 PM
    On your device, use the Wi-fi setup wizard. Scan for your router and enter your WEP. Then save it as one of your profiles. Then give it a minute or so, and your icon should turn white.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 12:32 AM
    I had this same problem. Here's what I did:

My network was set up with a "Personal WPA" password, which I entered on my device as the "Pre-Shared Key" or PSK. This allowed my device to recognize the network (the name of the network showed up on my home screen) but the wifi signal was still gray.

So I changed my security setting on my network from "Personal WPA" to WEP. When doing this I entered a password of my choice, and 4 different "keys" were generated. I picked one as the default, wrote it down (because as soon as I updated the security I would be booted off of the internet, since I wasn't hooked up via ethernet).

After updating my network settings on my laptop to make sure I had a connection, I went back into my BB and edited the wifi settings to reflect the change. Instead of the "PSK" I selected WEP and used the default key that was generated when I set up the WEP.

A few seconds later my device was hooked back up and the wifi signal was white, not gray. Seems to be working fine now.

Hope this helps.
    06-23-10 02:24 AM
    I have a similar question. On my main screen/desktop the wifi icon is grey. If I select the BB button and go to the next screen with all my apps etc it displays in white now. How come it's not white on the main screen when I'm connected to my wifi at home?
    06-24-10 08:04 AM
    I've found that mine tends to stay gray until I do something that requires wifi.
    06-24-10 12:10 PM
    I've found that mine tends to stay gray until I do something that requires wifi.
    Mine switches to white as soon as I get close to the house.
    06-24-10 12:26 PM

I just noticed mine did that this morning. It still uses wifi, just displays in gray until I switch screen or go into the browser. The other day the wifi icon displayed in white even without using it. I'll have to take another look when I get home today.
    06-24-10 12:27 PM
    mine goes to white when I am at home. but you have to give it a min or so. But mine always switches to white when I get home and stays that way until I leave the next morning.
    06-24-10 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD