09-19-10 12:46 PM
27 12
tools
    Hi All,

I have had my 9700 for a few months now and ever since I've had it the WiFi has never fully connected.

The report below has all the stats:

Wi-Fi
    Current Profile: M3HTA-10
    SSID: M3HTA-10
    AP MAC Address: 00:50:**:**:**:E0
    Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
    Association: Successful
    Authentication: Successful
    Local IP Address: 192.***.0.22
    Signal Level: -51 dBm
    Connection Data Rate: 48 Mbps
    Authentication Failure Reason:
    Network Type: 802.11b/g
    Network Channel: 10
    Pairwise Cipher: CCMP
    Group Cipher: TKIP
    Gateway Address: 192.***.0.1
    DHCP: Successful
    Primary DNS: 192.***.0.1
    Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
    DNS suffix:
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Server Domain Suffix:
    Certificate: Not Applicable
    Software Token: Not Applicable
    Hotspot Code:
    Hotspot Message:
    Hotspot Status: Not Applicable

VPN
    Current Profile:
    Concentrator Address:
    Authentication: N/A
    Secure Device IP:
    Resolving Concentrator: N/A
    Concentrator IP:
    Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    DNS Suffix:
    Secure Subnet Mask:
    Retry at:
    Session Lifetime:
    Re-login at:
    Failed Login Attempts: 0
    Certificate: Not Applicable
    Software Token:

UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Error
    Error Code:
    Reg. UNC Address:
    Authentication: Error
    Serving UNC Address: unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk:14001
    Security Gateway Address: singlephone.orange.co.uk Cell Info.:
    Cell. handover to UMA failures: 0
    Cell. rove-in failures: 0

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used: //rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443 IP Used:
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:
    Sent using BlackBerry from Orange

I have checked my router, MAC filtering is off.
    The correct PassKey has been entered
    My router is a DrayTek Vigor 2820n

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by mehtaman; 09-18-10 at 08:12 AM.
    09-18-10 08:09 AM
    What OS are you running?

I recommend 714 for the best connectivity, battery life, speed, etc.

BEST OS in my experience, I tried them all and tested them. This give you the best round up of signal quality, speed, WiFi connectivity, fast picture browsing in the Media viewer, etc.

DOWNLOAD <<< CLICK HERE

Instructions For Installation:

1) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.
    2) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader
    3) Delete the file named vendor.xml
    4) Connect your BlackBerry 9700 through the USB port
    5) Run loader.exe
    6) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy.

----------------------------------------------

Keep one thing in mind, if the WiFi icon remains grey and doesn't turn white, turn it off, then turn the mobile network services off also from the options, then ONLY ennable WiFi and wait for a min until you see the icon turn white, then you can safely turn back the mobile data services on.
    09-18-10 08:12 AM
    Hi Matrix-Leader,

I am running 5.0.0.586, when I use the Desktop Manager software it says I have the latest...

I will download the loader, it says T-Mobile but I am on Orange, will this brand my phone with any T-Mobile stuff???

Thanks
    09-18-10 08:17 AM
    Don't muck with your OS, that's almost certain to not be the issue. I've contacted some WiFi pros I know, and they'll help you sort it out.
    09-18-10 09:01 AM
    Ahh too late, "upgraded" to .714 and it still doesn't work...
    WiFi remains grey even if i turn the Mobile Network off.
    09-18-10 09:13 AM
    I'm sorry! Wish I'd caught you sooner, before Mr. Best OS got you wasting time. You should try some of the newer, 862 or the leaked 938, but I'd rather have the WiFi issue resolved first.
    09-18-10 09:20 AM
    Looks like your DNS proxy in your router doesn't like life.

The fact you got an IP address 192.***.0.22 shows that your WiFi is configured correctly.

I would reboot the router first. See if that fixes it. If it doesn't, then I'd find out what DNS servers your router is using, which you should be able to find in your router somewhere, and try configuring your WiFi profile with a static address with the following info:

IP address: 192.***.0.250
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.***.0.1
    Primary DNS: <insert IP address your router was using for DNS here>
    Secondary DNS: <insert IP address your router was using for DNS here>

That might fix the issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 09:49 AM
    Hi Matrix-Leader,

I am running 5.0.0.586, when I use the Desktop Manager software it says I have the latest...

I will download the loader, it says T-Mobile but I am on Orange, will this brand my phone with any T-Mobile stuff???

Thanks
    Just wondering who provides your home internet service and what kind of router you are using?

Reason I ask is because I am with BT and did use a white BT home hub. That was connected wirelessly to the internet on WEP but that would not hold connection to wifi for more than 30 seconds.
    Contacted BT about it and they sent us a new 2.0 black BT home hub which connects wirelessly on WPA to my phone without any hitches at all.

just a thought.

09-18-10 10:28 AM
    Wow, ML strikes again. Can we get a sticky or something that say NOT to follow his damn "Load OS instruction" for every problem that exists? Maybe a login message or something would be better since the stickies are omitted by many.

-----------

Now on to helping the OP.

Ok, first if rebooting the router did not help let's go back to the basics. Turn off all Wireless security in your router. Ya ya, I know this means running an open system for a bit but the idea is to get things working first. If that works, try using WEP 128 for security. Also ensure you have the latest software in your router. I am not familiar with that router. Did it come from your ISP?

Last edited by shansmi; 09-18-10 at 10:42 AM.
    09-18-10 10:35 AM
    UMA
    Connection Pref.: Wi-Fi Preferred
    UMA Wi-Fi Available: Successful
    Connection: Error
    Error Code:
    Reg. UNC Address:
    Authentication: Error
    This is the source of your problem, you have a good Wifi connection, but you are not connected to Unlicenced Mobile Access (UMA).

Boost your signal at home with UMA | Orange
    Everybody knows someone with a patchy signal at home.

Now Orange are doing something about it with UMA technology. It’s built into some of our phones, like BlackBerry smartphones, and uses your existing wireless broadband to boost your signal at home. You don’t need to buy new kit, and it doesn’t cost extra – calls are simply charged at your normal rate.
    Plus, you can stay connected to your email and the internet when you’re out and about with Orange – the UK’s biggest 3G network, covering more people than any other.
    Serving UNC Address: unc.singlephone.orange.co.uk:14001
    Security Gateway Address: singlephone.orange.co.uk Cell Info.:
    Cell. handover to UMA failures: 0
    The BlackBerry provisioning appears to be correct, that places the problem at your carrier.

Call customer service and ask to be transfered to UMA support.
    09-18-10 10:55 AM
    Reed, the carrier doesn't control "DNS server cannot be reached." That's either a router issue or an ISP issue.

Typical home routers have what is called a DNS proxy. They take the DNS requests and forward them to the ISP's DNS servers for name resolution. If the DNS proxy hangs, it will cause this error. If the DNS proxy/server doesn't respond fast enough, it will cause this error.

09-18-10 11:19 AM
    wow lots of top advice...

MayorHaji, I have tried to force the DNS to 192.***.0.1 but I lost all internet connection (I also had to reboot the router in order to make the changes).
    On my laptop I ran cmd -> ipconfig /all ... this points my DNS to be the same as the Gateway IP, is this normal?

Fruitini I am with BT as well, but I didn't like the HomeHub router (had the old white one) and my dad got hold of a much better Draytek 2820n router.

shansmi My router can broadcast up to 4 SSID's, I made a 2nd one called 'BlackBerryTest' and left it open and tried 128bit WEP security bur still encountered the same issues... IP is obtained and nothing else.

Reed McLay I will give Orange a call to see what they say about the UMA service.
    09-18-10 11:23 AM
    If someone does have some time then the router manufactures have a demo of the router page here:
    Online Demo

Maybe you can help me find out what menu to fine the DNS proxy under.
    09-18-10 11:30 AM
    I ran a DNS scan from This Site

Retrieving DNS records for host86-1**-60-2**.range86-1**.btcentralplus.com...

DNS servers
    ns20.bt.net
    ns21.bt.net

Answer records
    host86-1**-60-2**.range86-1**.btcentralplus.com A 86.1**.60.2** 604800s

Authority records
    range86-1**.btcentralplus.com NS ns20.bt.net 604800s
    range86-1**.btcentralplus.com NS ns21.bt.net 604800s

Don't know if it is of any help.
    09-18-10 11:40 AM
    MayorHaji, I have tried to force the DNS to 192.***.0.1 but I lost all internet connection (I also had to reboot the router in order to make the changes).
    On my laptop I ran cmd -> ipconfig /all ... this points my DNS to be the same as the Gateway IP, is this normal.
    My appologies for not being clear. The static IP settings needed to be applied to your blackberry. In the router you need to lookup what its DNS servers are.

09-18-10 11:45 AM
    I've tried to change the BB IP settings but not had any luck.
    09-18-10 12:09 PM
    wow lots of top advice...

On my laptop I ran cmd -> ipconfig /all ... this points my DNS to be the same as the Gateway IP, is this normal?

Fruitini I am with BT as well, but I didn't like the HomeHub router (had the old white one) and my dad got hold of a much better Draytek 2820n router.

shansmi My router can broadcast up to 4 SSID's, I made a 2nd one called 'BlackBerryTest' and left it open and tried 128bit WEP security bur still encountered the same issues... IP is obtained and nothing else.

Reed McLay I will give Orange a call to see what they say about the UMA service.
    what happens if you leave the test ssid open meaning with no security just for test purposes?

09-18-10 12:24 PM
    its still the same problem, no full connection.

But I guess that is because it is using all the same settings as SSID 1 (my main link) SSID 2 just has a new name and no security.
    Things like QoS, UPnD and all that would still be active.
    Last edited by mehtaman; 09-18-10 at 12:40 PM.
    09-18-10 12:33 PM
    Have you tried connecting via ssid 1?

09-18-10 03:14 PM
    yeah, SSID 1 is the one I would like to connect to and how I discovered this problem.
    09-18-10 03:18 PM
    Use your PC to traceroute and ping the BIS DNS name. That will at least prove the ISP is good. If that fails, the BB will never connect. If that passes we are back to phone and router interactions.

09-18-10 03:59 PM
    Not sure if I did this right:...

I Pinged singlephone.orange.co.uk
    That gave me the IP: 193.35.136.247

Ran tracert 193.35.136.247
    Hops 1-14 provided a response
    Hops 15-16 timed out
    Hop 17 responded
    Hops 18-30 all timed out.
    09-18-10 04:18 PM
    Sounds like you did it right. The failures could be firewalls. If you had a reply from the far end with failures in the middle that's ok. If the endpoint did not respond. It is either blocked, not supposed to respond or having issues.

Is ther any reason you cannot try a DLink or Cisco router. Is there something special about this router like is it also a DSL modem for example?

09-18-10 05:03 PM
    Its the only router I have at home... I have a very old Dlink, not sure if it even has 11g, but the antenna is broken.

The firewall on the router is turned off.
    I'm not sure if it supports UMA, but I should be able to connect to it and use the internet from the BB.
    09-18-10 05:27 PM
    The router has nothing to do with UMA directly other than needing the ability to port forward. Getting BIS should be easier than this unless that router is known to have issues with BB. I am not familiar with the brand.

09-18-10 07:31 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD