It'd be really great if someone can help me out.

Short intro. just got my first smartphone ever. BB torch.

What I wanted to know is when I go on wifi why do I have to keep data services option on under mobile network in order for wifi to work?

Isn't that something to do with data plan? I don't have a plan and just clarified with my provider they confirmed that I don't get charged anything. They also don't have an answer for me when I asked them what does data services option have to do with the fact that my wifi on my torch is on.

Once I turn it off then I can't browse.

please help. tia
    11-27-10 09:09 PM
    Congrats on your new Torch.

The wifi requires access to a set of service books (Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser and Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport). So if the Service books cannot access RIM NOC then the wifi feature on the phone itself will not function.

To have access to RIM NOC you need at least some sort of network access

In the end you may not get full access to all features offered by your Blackberry as you have no data just keep that in mind

You can browse on every website except for RIM based servers and provoder based servers.
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 11-27-10 at 10:21 PM.
    11-27-10 09:35 PM
    Congrats on your new Torch.

The wifi requires access to a set of service books (Wi-Fi TCP/IP Browser and Wi-Fi TCP/IP Transport. So if the Service books cannot access RIM NOC then the wifi feature on the phone itself will not function.

To have access to RIM NOC you need at least some sort of network access

In the end you may not get full access to all features offered by your Blackberry as you have no data just keep that in mind
    thank you azn ... what is noc?
    11-27-10 09:43 PM
    its pretty much RIM's servers for regular browsing and BIS and BES emails

NOC = Network Operations Center
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 11-27-10 at 09:50 PM.
    11-27-10 09:44 PM
    That's odd... When I turn the cell receiver off in my torch, I can browse on wifi alone just fine? Is this carrier specific? I'm on Rogers. I posted this message with the cell receiver off.

Only things I can't do with the cell receiver off, is browse the App World, use the Rogers My Account app, and access my BB email account. Everything else seems to work just fine?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 09:52 PM
    That's odd... When I turn the cell receiver off in my torch, I can browse on wifi alone just fine? Is this carrier specific? I'm on Rogers. I posted this message with the cell receiver off.

Only things I can't do with the cell receiver off, is browse the App World, use the Rogers My Account app, and access my BB email account. Everything else seems to work just fine?

I'm with Fido. glad to see many fellow canadians here.

may be I didn't make it clear. what I was referring to was not the mobile network on or off BUT under set up, services and options - the first option below that which breaks down into data services, whilte roaming, mobile network: network selection mode and network mode

Once I turn data services offf then can't browse

I just tried what you said by turning mobile network off and still can browse. correct me if I'm wrong, mobile network is only for voice call correct?
    11-27-10 10:18 PM
    I'm with Fido. glad to see many fellow canadians here.

may be I didn't make it clear. what I was referring to was not the mobile network on or off BUT under set up, services and options - the first option below that which breaks down into data services, whilte roaming, mobile network: network selection mode and network mode

Once I turn data services offf then can't browse

I just tried what you said by turning mobile network off and still can browse. correct me if I'm wrong, mobile network is only for voice call correct?
    Sorry edited my previous post. Mobile network will affect both voice and data services when truned off you just won't be able to browse any RIm or carrier based servers.
    11-27-10 10:20 PM
    Sorry edited my previous post. Mobile network will affect both voice and data services when truned off you just won't be able to browse any RIm or carrier based servers.
    azn ... this shall remain a mystery. swear to god i just tried again with mobile network off, wifi on, data on, roaming on, 3G on ... i just logged into my gmail

am I getting a defective set or what?
    11-27-10 10:25 PM
    Not sure. It works for me when mobile network is off but just can't access app world or my carriers wap pages
    11-27-10 10:34 PM
    Mine also works fine with the mobile network switched to off. I rarely use it like that, but it would be handy in situation where I was roaming.

11-27-10 11:11 PM
    Turning off the data services option is like unplugging the ethernet cable from your computer. As long as that option is set off.. ALL DATA SERVICES WILL BE OFF.

Data is data regardless if its data through wifi or data through the network. That option is a universal on/off selection.

Basically to have data access on wifi.. You gotta have data services enabled.

11-28-10 11:19 AM
    i asked this in a different thread, but is there a way to use a torch on wi-fi only, no sim, no carrier?
    01-09-11 02:25 PM
    i asked this in a different thread, but is there a way to use a torch on wi-fi only, no sim, no carrier?
    Yes simply turn on wifi then choose network you want to connect to and you should be all set
    01-09-11 04:15 PM
    Yes simply turn on wifi then choose network you want to connect to and you should be all set
    yup, did all that, for some reason it wasn't working, so I backed up and did a reboot, now its all gravy. Thx1
    01-09-11 04:59 PM
    My Girlfriends Style is pay as you go with no data package & she can send & receive
    E-mail at home with the Wi-Fi & use it in hotspots at the Mall.
    01-09-11 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD