After loading a bunch of music onto my 8220 and thinking how great it sounded with ear-buds, I was about to give my Ipod to a nephew. But then I plugged the BB into my stereo system and everything sounded terrible. . .. not just bad. It sounded like one of the worst types of enhancement modes you get get on a cheap home-theater receiver. Like maybe "stadium". So I switched to the IPod with the same album and what a relief.

My conclusion: the bb is great for having your music with you without carrying around extra devises and cables, but if you want it for your all purpose portable audio library for playing through sound systems on special occassions . . . it may not be the solution.

Gurus may be able to explain why it sounds so bad on an audio system when it sounds pretty good with earbuds. I had the volume at about 2/3's.

-A plug for the BB and T-Mobile - in my first month I have only 40 minutes of billable calls and 800 minutes of free VoIP Wifi calls, using the 8220 as my only phone. I don't think that everybody knows that T-mobile has WiFi calling on the 8220 which works better than the stationary VoIP phone services from Vonage and Voicewings. I have had them all.
    Last edited by swb_mct; 01-29-09 at 09:36 PM.
    01-29-09 09:22 PM
    I have consistently said that the BB blows in comparison to even
    the most rudimentary dedicated multimedia player. I have no issue
    carrying an extra 2 ounces to get great sound as opposed to
    carrying one middling device.
    01-29-09 09:45 PM
    After using the media player for a while now, I see why some see it as an unworthy media player. For me and what I need it to do, it works great. But I'd like to point out that my g/f's parents have a stereo system at their house and I constantly like to connect my bb to it (even tho it annoys my g/f). But the sound comes out pretty well, nice and crisp. That's just my 2 cents. But I see we're you all are coming from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 12:53 AM
    Ya I do that at partys to .... Play my mp3s through stereo or computers what ever has boost. But not with my BB not cuz it don't sound good cause I tried it with a 3.5 to RCA jack cable and yes it sounded good. But if I need to hook up my BB at a party or get together for music -ts gonna be a broing azz party. I'm not giving up my BB for nothing lol.

01-30-09 02:36 AM
    QFMFT!
    01-30-09 06:26 AM
    Yeah even with a 3.5 mm which does make the sound better it still pales in comparison to the other devices out there like ipod, zune, etc.
    01-30-09 06:30 AM
    It's not surprising that the sound quality beyond the device is better on the iPod than BB, given that the iPods primary function is music and the BB's is not. Having said that, I find the sound quality from my Curve to be pretty good when playing music by bluetooth to my MOTO T505 which then sends the sound via the FM transmitter to my car radio. And, iPod does not come with bluetooth, you have to buy a plug in transmitter.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I purchased a Zoom iHifi transmitter for my new iPod touch. Works great/
    01-30-09 06:52 AM
    Your BB is designed to play through headphones, not speakers. It's all to do with impedance matching of the device output stages with the headphones/speaker input stages.

My BB and headphones are great on the bus to work but it's just not intended as a serious music player.

01-30-09 12:37 PM
    I've got few gigs of music on my BB, but I only use it as a music player when I forget my ipod at home...so as a backup.

I used it yesterday for this purpose while commuting to and from work and all was good. The sound was just fine, but I'm using crappo earbuds and there is traffic noise all around.
    01-30-09 03:19 PM
    Completely agree.
    01-30-09 03:35 PM
    There is a bluetooth option for connecting your BB to an audio system. It should not only let you have better sound to the audio system, you'll be running it remotely. As long as you are in range, you can still keep your BB on you.
    01-30-09 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD