why doesnt she have he mail set to push on her android?
    Maybe the salesman should have told her that.
    04-17-12 01:55 PM
    But again, if they DON'T offer exchange service, forward to your free @me.com account.

Push email. The same way BB has done it for years - by routing it through the servers. It can be done.
    Workarounds are many, your proposed one can only route incoming not outgoing emails. It's not normal business practice. When you get to your pc you want to find all your emails where they should be. But in the end it's a workaround.
    04-17-12 02:05 PM
    i presume they are still selling nokias despite nokia making more of a loss than RIM
    Yea seriously. There are handset makers in much worse shape than RIM. Why is it that the focus has solely been on them? Sony has a $6 Billion loss reported and are slashing thousands of jobs. Doesn't affect their handset sales. Nokia is too early to tell, but they definitely aren't a healthy corporation right now with everything banking on that Lumia line doing well.

I don't understand that.
    Come on Guys, Nokia is partnering with Microsoft, and we all know that MFST dominates any market they get into and that being a MSFT "Partner" is the sure fire way to ride their coattails to untold riches.
    04-17-12 02:21 PM
    I find that this redirect is more often done by younger employees, the teens and twenty somethings. They seem to push the device that they hold dear. Ifans push the iphone first, Android fans push the Andriod phones. In Canada you even get the young BB fans pushing blackberry. I was in at a Bestbuy exchanging in a bunch of old phones for store credit and I saw thee employees arguing in front of a customer over which phone was the best. Non of them even seemed to care or ask how the guy intended to use it. Turns out he came in for the Blackberry trade-up program, so it should have been easy to guess he wanted a blackberry. After taunts of how Android is (s)not reliable and Rim is going under and Iphone is just for wanna-be-hipsters the guy left and was heading to the bell store. I can't say I blamed him but the crap these three (one being the manager of the dept) were tossing about was pure rumors and made-up crap.
    04-17-12 02:26 PM
    There's a lot of factors why the that guy sold her android phone instead.

i used to work in a multi carrier provider store. I was one of those "rare" people who sold you what YOU want (unless you have no idea what you want). i actually refused to sell people the LG chocolate even when there was $100/phone as commission bonus.

i remember when palm pre came out... there was incentive for like $20/phone sold... and i saw the manager BLATANTLY lie about it being the best phone, better then iphone, better then blackberry...

personally, if i want the new blackberry and the sales rep is saying how it's terrible and pushing me towards another device. i would walk out.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-17-12 02:52 PM
    I have heard too many stories of sales representatives not catering to the needs of their customers and instead thinking of the commission they'll get off selling their preferred devices. I get that people are always looking out for #1 (not to state that everyone is selfish - I am merely stating that as humans, we tend to look out for our own well-being moreso than that of others at certain points); and we are proud of our possessions and decision-making, so we tend to "recommend" our own ideas and choices to others. But I think there's a time and place for that; and sales might not be, unless the customer asks for their opinion on the representative's personal device choice.

The customer's needs should always come first; and if someone walks in saying they want a BlackBerry - or any other phone - the representative should direct them to that choice. If the model they want is faulty; then by all means, the representative could direct them elsewhere. Or if the customer doesn't really know what phone they want, the employee could show them a range of different phones. But to immediately direct her to Android and telling her that BlackBerry is obsolete or whatever... That's not an objective statement nor is it professional.
    raino likes this.
    04-17-12 05:39 PM
    At my store, there's never a reason to sell one phone over another, so with no conflict of interest, we can sell whatever is best for who's buying. But What I think a lot of Blackberry loyalists overlook is that, in the process of qualifying the customer, there are very few things that would lead one to actually choose a BB.

1 - The most popular reason I sell them is still BBM, used by a lot of internationals (students usually) who can use them to keep in contact with friends back home.

2 - Work email via BB server. But since we don't sell to corporate accounts, we don't get many of these.

3 - Desire for a specific BB device (Usually the Torch lately) self-explanatory.

For most consumers, android and iphones can do the things they would want a BB for, as well as offer the other options that BB doesn't. When presented with fair views of all 4 big mobile OS' (we also sell windows phones) its very very rare that they will still choose a BB.
    04-17-12 08:04 PM
    Anyone else find it strange for ppl to be hanging out and posting comments on a BB forum who do not own a BB product? They come here and leave posts telling us we are all wrong for owning a BB, because in their opinion BB's suck compared to Android or iPhones.
    I come here because I own two RIM products, why do they come here? Did they all get kicked out of their own respective forums and have nowhere else to go?

Just my rant for the day :-)
    Pdinos3 and mzceetee like this.
    04-18-12 11:11 AM
    Anyone else find it strange for ppl to be hanging out and posting comments on a BB forum who do not own a BB product? They come here and leave posts telling us we are all wrong for owning a BB, because in their opinion BB's suck compared to Android or iPhones.
    I come here because I own two RIM products, why do they come here? Did they all get kicked out of their own respective forums and have nowhere else to go?

Just my rant for the day :-)
    Most of us were BB users at one point, who have since moved on. And not all of us think you are wrong for owning a BB. I can say that I left because they no longer made a device that fit my needs. I like the community, and try to give a neutral opinion whenever possible, because a lot of people on both sides of the discussion could use a little objectivity.

Morty2264 likes this.
    04-18-12 08:02 PM
    A friend of mine owns a Verizon store (4 actually) and out of the 4 total (In New York) he sold 3 9930's in the last month.... with contract.

Everyone goes straight to Android or Iphone. BB isn't even considered
    04-18-12 08:23 PM
    I was in a Radio Shack the other day and the "young" lady behind the counter had some information for me when I asked about Blackberry.

1. RIM is going out of business
    2. Bold has been discontinued
    3. BlackBerry can't do email
    4. (and the best one of all) Blackberries are not smart phones

I was taught not to fight with helpless people so I just paid for my cables and went home. I was using my Iphone that day and would have just helped her position had she seen it , not that she had one anyway.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Engire; 04-18-12 at 09:11 PM.
    04-18-12 09:04 PM
    If a customer is going into a store without the knowledge of what they want and they need to be told what they want, this is what they get. As a customer, you should be wise to what you're investing in and not have to depend on the swaying opinions of others. Instead of blaming the people or sales reps making a suggestion, people should make up their own damn mind.
    04-18-12 09:37 PM
    Most of us were BB users at one point, who have since moved on. And not all of us think you are wrong for owning a BB. I can say that I left because they no longer made a device that fit my needs. I like the community, and try to give a neutral opinion whenever possible, because a lot of people on both sides of the discussion could use a little objectivity.

I love reading posts like yours! People who own different devices can certainly have civil and polite conversations; and it's nice to see that on this thread too. I'm tired of the "rivalry" between some individuals who use different cell phone platforms. We all have cell phones - just different types! What does it matter? If it works for you, then that's all that matters!
    04-18-12 10:20 PM
    In my experience, the deceptive practice that is being used to sell people Android devices today is the same one that was used to sell BlackBerries many years ago. Flavour of the month/year. There is no high moral ground to take here - BlackBerry ows its former success to carrier sales people, just as much as Android does today.
    brucep1 likes this.
    04-18-12 10:28 PM

Hi. Long time no see!

I remember you around the time I joined Crackberry.

I agree with your post. My experience is exactly the same. I'm definitely interested in the BB10 devices and hope that they are successful.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-19-12 12:31 AM
    At this point Verizon is just pushing their 4G devices, which just so happens to be Android. If BB put out a 4G device, then maybe Verizon would have demo units available in some stores again.
    04-19-12 01:16 AM
    No one wants to believe they made a wrong decision, and some will resist admitting it at all costs. I will soon be able to speak to the differences when work gives me an Admiral next week. Hopefully I will be honest in my assesment of the differences between my personal 9900 and the Android.
    04-19-12 11:38 AM
    she commented on how nice it is to deal with me because she normally gets an email back from me within seconds. i said you could to if you owned a blackberry.
    You can do this with any smartphone that receives push email.

I was at my local VZW store today because I had to buy another car charger. They didn't even have any BBs on display besides the 9930 in the back right corner. I asked why the BB selection was so small and he said "because no one wants them". He was optimistic about BB10 though.

I guess it is just a lot easier for them to sell Android devices and the iPhone.
    04-19-12 11:50 AM
    You can do this with any smartphone that receives push email.

I was at my local VZW store today because I had to buy another car charger. They didn't even have any BBs on display besides the 9930 in the back right corner. I asked why the BB selection was so small and he said "because no one wants them". He was optimistic about BB10 though.

I guess it is just a lot easier for them to sell Android devices and the iPhone.
    No they cant avt and you know it. Not unless they pay for exchange or they host their website/email with Google.
    04-19-12 03:42 PM
    Neither my Blackberry or my iPhone will push Comcast. The only way I have been able to get it to push is through the xfinity app on both phones. Short of fetching at frequent intervals it's the only way I have found to get timely email on either phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-19-12 07:14 PM
    No they cant avt and you know it. Not unless they pay for exchange or they host their website/email with Google.
    Not true. There are plenty of hosting services online that offer free Exchange for your first couple of mail boxes. As well there are free open source Exchange/ActiveSync alternatives if you have the means to host your own server.

In an attempt to grab more users, hosting services are handing out Exchange accounts like candy.

Anybody that's paying for hosted email and doesn't have Exchange/ActiveSync should really re-think their hosting options.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-19-12 at 08:23 PM.
    04-19-12 08:20 PM
    Not true. There are plenty of hosting services online that offer free Exchange for your first couple of mail boxes. As well there are free open source Exchange/ActiveSync alternatives if you have the means to host your own server.

In an attempt to grab more users, hosting services are handing out Exchange accounts like candy.

Anybody that's paying for hosted email and doesn't have Exchange/ActiveSync should really re-think their hosting options.
    When you're looking to host a website and email the first and foremost thing to consider is reliability and uptime. Everybody knows, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

At least in UK they do not give exchange away, it's actually quite expensive. Most businesses will not pay for it unless the capability is really needed, and if the staff is in the office all day they will definitely not buy it.
    04-20-12 12:25 AM
    Did you actually read what I said? Read the quote again that I responded too...

she commented on how nice it is to deal with me because she normally gets an email back from me within seconds. i said you could to if you owned a blackberry.
    Read the bolded above. She normally gets an email back from him in seconds. I said, any smartphone with push email can do this (sending an email back within seconds of receiving it). Not just a BlackBerry. That's all I said, and it is 100% true.

What is hard to understand about that Belfast? Honestly, what are you trying to argue here? I agreed with what you said before you even said it. Notice how I said the smartphones needs push email...

I don't know what you aren't comprehending here.
    Last edited by avt123; 04-20-12 at 07:17 AM.
    04-20-12 07:14 AM
    Did you actually read what I said? Read the quote again that I responded too...

Read the bolded above. She normally gets an email back from him in seconds. I said, any smartphone with push email can do this (sending an email back within seconds of receiving it). Not just a BlackBerry. That's all I said, and it is 100% true.

What is hard to understand about that Belfast? Honestly, what are you trying to argue here? I agreed with what you said before you even said it. Notice how I said the smartphones needs push email...

I don't know what you aren't comprehending here.
    Let me explain, it's easy to say "any smartphone with push" but there's two things to consider:

1. The smartphone has to support push

2. The email provider has to give you "push" ie exchange

If the point 2 doesn't apply, point 1 becomes irrelevant.

A blackberry turns any email into push email regardless of the email provider's settings.

Therefore non exchange email accounts will be delivered faster to a Blackberry allowing the user to reply faster.

Does that make sense to you?

Talking strictly hosted emails here not gmail, yahoo etc
    04-20-12 08:21 AM
    Your taking this personally huh? Chill out. Blackberry is obsolete. Get over it

Go Bucs!
    04-20-12 08:36 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD