So my sister has an OLD Storm 1..yea that thing. She has had some problems with the device over the years�She had the screen RMA�d about a year after she got it, & now her BB button doesn�t work. Now she is having her 3rd issue with the multi-year old phone. It�s battery no longer lasts very long�I would not call this an issue, as it happens with older batteries, all you do is replace the removable battery. Anyway, she went to Bell (Bell Canada) to look at a replacement & the sales girl tried to sell her an Android. She did this by repeating every bit of negative & untrue anti-RIM news out there. The one that stands out, is that BB has issues with their batteries, & a new battery will soon go just like her current one. IF she wants better battery life SHE SHOULD BUY A 4G ANDROID! Seeing as those are KNOWN for their bad battery, I cant believe a sales person would have the nerve to state they have better batteries then BlackBerrys.

Anyway, so now I have my sister seriously considering buying a 4G Android phone, thx to the lies fed to her from the sales person. All this bad press ect. About RIM is a self fulfilling prophesy. If you keep lying about RIM & saying that no one is buying them, people are going to listen to you, & eventually no one will buy them
    Just going to throw out there that if she gets the Droid RAZR Maxx with the huge battery then she might just get better battery life. As for any other 4G Android, probably not. The 9930 doesn't have the best battery life, but it's better compared to most of the LTE Android choices.

As for your sister, it's her choice. If she wants an Android then she wants an Android. You don't need to shove a BlackBerry in her hand if that's not what she's looking for. She's a big girl now and she can take care of herself.
    03-12-12 08:40 PM
    Well, it sure is good that I DO know what I'm doing.

Hmm, let's see.

1) Running the .267 leak
    2) Battery saver always on
    3) calibrated battery as per instructions on this very site (in had been a while since I had to calibrate a RIM battery and the iPhone calibration is different)
    4) no auto updates run in the background.
    5) only apps I have installed are facebook, twitter and tapatalk. I only reinstalled tapatalk 1 hour ago because I saw no difference in battery in the week I had it uninstalled
    6) on wifi when available.
    7) close out of everything so as to not leave anything running in the background

I put my 9900 down about 15 minutes ago on my desk. When I did, it was at 72%. I just picked it up and in the last 15 minutes it's now at 68%. Idling. Clearly I must have put it on the desk wrong, according to you.

I love it when it's obviously operator error. I mean, surely RIM can't ever be criticized. Kudos on your mythological 16 hour battery life, BTW. Your condescenscion works both ways. Frankly I'm starting to think that there may be a difference between the CDMA version and the GSM version. Remember - we DON'T HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER.

I regret taking you off ignore. Putting you back as we speak.
    One of my Customers BBM'd me this morning, I told him Telus was launching the OS upgrade for his 9900, he had been BBMing me complaining that his 9900 was having an issue making it through a day, since the upgrade this morning he BBM'd me and said "thanks for the tip, my phone made it ALL weekend, without being charged, sure it was low use, but before it couldn't make it a full day"

I don't know WHY your phone sucks so bad, because MANY MANY MANY users even non fans are getting full days of 50-100+ emails and 60-120min phone calls out of OS7.1, you may actually still have a faulty battery.
    03-12-12 10:32 PM
    Honestly having ordered cakes before, if that's her biz, her presentation will look much better on a 10' inch screen regardless of manufacturer. It will give more life to her presentation.

I just did a side-by-side using a local designer's website. The 10' screen does more justice to it.

Cheers!

Hate to say it, but I agree

I love my 7" for portability, but I plug it into 36 -42" screens with microHDMI any time I actually need to show off detailed photo's the 7" screen is perfect for text and 1 person use, but shared use Bigger is better. even 10" is too small.

unless her clientele are usually in living room's that she could plug into, or if she wanted a Pico projector a 10" tablet would suit her image based sales better.
    03-12-12 10:36 PM
    One of my Customers BBM'd me this morning, I told him Telus was launching the OS upgrade for his 9900, he had been BBMing me complaining that his 9900 was having an issue making it through a day, since the upgrade this morning he BBM'd me and said "thanks for the tip, my phone made it ALL weekend, without being charged, sure it was low use, but before it couldn't make it a full day"

I don't know WHY your phone sucks so bad, because MANY MANY MANY users even non fans are getting full days of 50-100+ emails and 60-120min phone calls out of OS7.1, you may actually still have a faulty battery.
    I'm hoping I'm the unlucky twit who got two bad batteries in a row. Our RIM rep is purolating out a new one for me, apparently, so we shall see.

Fingers crossed deRussett, because I've done everything else I know how on a BB to minimalize battery drain!

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    03-12-12 11:38 PM
    My friend went into Rogers the other day to upgrade his 9700 to a 9900. Sales rep says this: "You may as well be putting a gun to your head if you buy a BB. RIM is dead."
    03-13-12 11:35 AM
    This is disgusting on the level that it is not true professionalism. I like Android phones, and have nothing against them. But if you're going to try and sell someone a product, using lies and/or misinformation to switch someone to either your preferred device or the device that will make you more money off of commission sales is just horrific. If she was looking at a device that was known for having a certain issue; then by all means, the sales representative should tell her about its shortcomings and direct her to a better choice (this happened to me when I was looking at certain phones to buy while not on Smartphone Planet yet). But no, this sounded like she was simply directing your sister towards a purchase that would benefit her career. Did your sister express an interest in upgrading to a newer BlackBerry, the same Storm model, or another platform entirely?

Last time I checked, sales representatives and customer service in general were supposed to be aimed towards satisfying the customer and his or her needs in question; and not in fulfilling their own, "looking out for number one" agenda. The customer is always right. If she wanted an Android; then by all means, she should receive one. But a phone choice is like a car choice or a clothing choice: we want it, we pay for it, so it should be OUR choice and not the choice of someone whom we'll never see again,
    03-13-12 11:43 AM
    This is disgusting on the level that it is not true professionalism. I like Android phones, and have nothing against them. But if you're going to try and sell someone a product, using lies and/or misinformation to switch someone to either your preferred device or the device that will make you more money off of commission sales is just horrific. If she was looking at a device that was known for having a certain issue; then by all means, the sales representative should tell her about its shortcomings and direct her to a better choice (this happened to me when I was looking at certain phones to buy while not on Smartphone Planet yet). But no, this sounded like she was simply directing your sister towards a purchase that would benefit her career. Did your sister express an interest in upgrading to a newer BlackBerry, the same Storm model, or another platform entirely?

Last time I checked, sales representatives and customer service in general were supposed to be aimed towards satisfying the customer and his or her needs in question; and not in fulfilling their own, "looking out for number one" agenda. The customer is always right. If she wanted an Android; then by all means, she should receive one. But a phone choice is like a car choice or a clothing choice: we want it, we pay for it, so it should be OUR choice and not the choice of someone whom we'll never see again,
    I don't even believe these stories anymore. Maybe it's just Canada...
    03-13-12 01:38 PM
    Certainly isn't just Canada, when trying to buy a BB device in the US I get accosted with questions as to "why would you want that?"

in Canada I tend to do much better combating the sales people because of our data caps, many of them have no clue that Blackberry Compresses data, which I Blame RIM for, man of them have never even used a Blackberry, or haven't had one since the Storm series so again they have such old views of the BlackBerry, saying the BB7 browser sucks is a disservice to how far it has come, and that often times I am milliseconds different that an iPhone device in rendering a webpage, but I was fortunate enough to only use 1/2-1/4 the data to do so, which is worth the half second.

When I purchased my 9790 at the Rogers Store in Barrie, On. I asked for the 9790 when I walked in, the guy went and got it for me, and when I asked about the return/repair policy he said, you have 15 days to bring it back and I'll swap it for an iPhone. with out ever questioning my needs he basically assumed the iPhone would fit, which it by far would not.

though I am the same, while at a conference I will show the advantages of BlackBerry's to other people and highlight the deficiencies of other devices when questioned about BlackBerry's I will be forthcoming, but I am not unless questioned, though it isn't my business to sell mobile devices, in a perfect would the sales people at carrier stores would be educated and non biased, but that never will happen.
    03-13-12 02:30 PM
    I do not think that it is just Canada; but I do live there and not in the U.S. so I don't have concrete objective data of that from first-hand experience. But these things do happen here; and it's upsetting, since people within these types of career fields should be doing their research/homework and should be honest when they're trying to sell a product.
    03-13-12 02:34 PM
    Certainly isn't just Canada, when trying to buy a BB device in the US I get accosted with questions as to "why would you want that?"

in Canada I tend to do much better combating the sales people because of our data caps, many of them have no clue that Blackberry Compresses data, which I Blame RIM for, man of them have never even used a Blackberry, or haven't had one since the Storm series so again they have such old views of the BlackBerry, saying the BB7 browser sucks is a disservice to how far it has come, and that often times I am milliseconds different that an iPhone device in rendering a webpage, but I was fortunate enough to only use 1/2-1/4 the data to do so, which is worth the half second.

When I purchased my 9790 at the Rogers Store in Barrie, On. I asked for the 9790 when I walked in, the guy went and got it for me, and when I asked about the return/repair policy he said, you have 15 days to bring it back and I'll swap it for an iPhone. with out ever questioning my needs he basically assumed the iPhone would fit, which it by far would not.

though I am the same, while at a conference I will show the advantages of BlackBerry's to other people and highlight the deficiencies of other devices when questioned about BlackBerry's I will be forthcoming, but I am not unless questioned, though it isn't my business to sell mobile devices, in a perfect would the sales people at carrier stores would be educated and non biased, but that never will happen.
    I only say this because I have never encountered this phenomena. If fact at Sprint. They have the 9900(or whatever those numbers mean) right up front with it's own display. And when I picked up a second PB from Sprint the tech guy displayed his own PB and not only explained how to load the android player, but offered to do it for me.

I just haven't run in to these people that want to see RIM fail the way others say they have.
    03-13-12 02:43 PM
    I only say this because I have never encountered this phenomena. If fact at Sprint. They have the 9900(or whatever those numbers mean) right up front with it's own display. And when I picked up a second PB from Sprint the tech guy displayed his own PB and not only explained how to load the android player, but offered to do it for me.

I just haven't run in to these people that want to see RIM fail the way others say they have.

The Sprint / RIM relationship didn't get put under the same stress that the Verizon / RIM and the AT&T / RIM relationship did.

Verizon Reps seem to be the most Anti RIM of all Reps, in Canada Bell Reps seem to be most Anti RIM, Mind you Bell's Corporate REP's seem to be the most knowledgeable about RIM products compared to Rogers Corporate REPS.
    03-13-12 02:48 PM

Data compression is the first point I make when I am comparing the operating systems - that if budget is a concern they can go with the lower cost plans because of the compression.

Oh, deRusett, I thought you'd be curious. I picked up the purolated battery yesterday. Charged it up and started running 9900 again last night. I've been of charger since 1am yesterday. It's now 4:53pm and I did heavy browsing or about 4 hour this afternoon along with about 25-50 texts and I'm at 53%.

Looks like I'm the unlucky schmuck who got two, count em two, bad batteries.

We shall see how long I stay on the 9900 before the screen size tempts my back to my iPhone full time again now that I have almost equal battery life (iPhone still outperforms it so far as far as battery even with battery saver on all the time on the 9900 and no battery saving measure on my iPhone).

Thought you'd be curious.

Oh, I'm Bell Corporate and I can say our site is very, very pro RIM. Like I said, 7 employees and 6 BBs and 2 playbooks between us (7 BBs if you count the company provided BB my manager runs on top of his Torch).

Last edited by reeneebob; 03-13-12 at 03:58 PM.
    03-13-12 03:56 PM
    Data compression is the first point I make when I am comparing the operating systems - that if budget is a concern they can go with the lower cost plans because of the compression.

Oh, deRusett, I thought you'd be curious. I picked up the purolated battery yesterday. Charged it up and started running 9900 again last night. I've been of charger since 1am yesterday. It's now 4:53pm and I did heavy browsing or about 4 hour this afternoon along with about 25-50 texts and I'm at 53%.

Looks like I'm the unlucky schmuck who got two, count em two, bad batteries.

We shall see how long I stay on the 9900 before the screen size tempts my back to my iPhone full time again now that I have almost equal battery life (iPhone still outperforms it so far as far as battery even with battery saver on all the time on the 9900 and no battery saving measure on my iPhone).

Thought you'd be curious.

Oh, I'm Bell Corporate and I can say our site is very, very pro RIM. Like I said, 7 employees and 6 BBs and 2 playbooks between us (7 BBs if you count the company provided BB my manager runs on top of his Torch).

YA!!! glad you finally joined the rest of us and are using a good battery!

as for Data compression only being for the people on a budget, I would ask people if they travel a lot, So many users buy these high end Android phones or iPhones, and then have to shut them off or ONLY use wifi while traveling if a user travels a lot, even if they aren't worrying about data plan costs, The iPhone users I've moved to the Bold 9900 all spend upwards of 2 months a year outside of Canada, and can't believe how affordable it is to own a BlackBerry while traveling.
    03-13-12 04:41 PM
    I went on an expedition to find a working (not dummy) 9930 demo today. Verizon didn't have a dummy or working unit, and didn't care to talk about BlackBerry. RadioShack employee said BlackBerry is going to discontinue their US products :roll eyes:.

Best Buy had a dummy unit, so I could at least get an idea of the size. But as I was checking out a Sprint 9850 Torch, a rep came over started talking to me. Skipping the cordials:
    Best Buy Rep: So why do you want a Blackberry?
    Me: I've had this one for around 3 years, and after some issues at first, I got a solid device and it's worked really well for me. I'm sort of between this one and the 9930.
    BB Rep: Oh I like this one much better. Bigger screen, all touch screen, and it's smaller. Which carrier do you have?
    This is fine, he's not feeding me BS...yet.
    Me: This is true. But I think I'm going to just stick with a keyboard I guess. I'm on Verizon.
    BB Rep: Well this one's only on Sprint
    Me: Uh, you sure? I just saw the 9850 on Verizon's site last night.
    BB Rep: Yep. And why do you need a keyboard?
    Me: Huh. I just prefer having a keyboard.
    BB Rep: Well you'll have to come around to a touchscreen at some point. They won't always have keyboards.

This is when I just walked away thinking talk to ya' later, junior.

I did stop at a Sprint store before I went to Best Buy. The rep gets major props, as he was very courteous. I asked to see the dummy unit 9930 he had locked up in the glass case. He handed it to me and mentioned it was just a dummy unit, but one of his coworkers just got one and she seems to like it a lot and mentioned when she works next. He didn't throw any other devices at me and say "This ones better!" or try to sell me anything else. He mentioned those who like BlackBerry tend to stay with BlackBerry. He also gave me a flyer for the used phone buy back program. He was very helpful and only showed me what I was looking for. I didn't mention I was with Verizon, but if I was looking for a new carrier, I probably would have switched.

I ended up with a 9930 from Best Buy (from a DIFFERENT rep ) for $100

TL;DR: Verizon & RadioShack don't want to sell BlackBerry, Best Buy reps are ill-informed but act like they aren't, and at least one Sprint rep knows how to sell their products.

Oh yeah, I still didn't find a working 9930 Mine is being shipped.
    03-13-12 06:50 PM
    4G Androids are known as the worst battery drainers on the market. What a terrible recommendation.
    You got that right. My Bold 9900 lasts three times as long as a coworkers Razr Maxx on a single charge in the same conditions.
    03-13-12 07:12 PM
    My friend went into Rogers the other day to upgrade his 9700 to a 9900. Sales rep says this: "You may as well be putting a gun to your head if you buy a BB. RIM is dead."
    yeah I got more or less that same message when I got my 9900 in Dec. when to a Roger's store in a mall and the two reps there were both trying to pressure me into an Iphone. needless to say I didn't buy anything there.
    So went to a Rogers Video store and there was a girl there that was very pro Blackberry. She had a 9810 Torch, and said if she didn't have it, she would be all over the 9900. I am used to physical keyboards, and the fact the 9900 was going back to a more 9000 type keyboard made me very happy. Sadly that Rogers Video is closed now, and not sure where I'm going to get my BB10 phone when they come out now. But I do know this, where I do buy it had better keep their droid/ifan opinions to themselves.
    03-13-12 07:25 PM
    I went on an expedition to find a working (not dummy) 9930 demo today. Verizon didn't have a dummy or working unit, and didn't care to talk about BlackBerry. RadioShack employee said BlackBerry is going to discontinue their US products :roll eyes:.

Best Buy had a dummy unit, so I could at least get an idea of the size. But as I was checking out a Sprint 9850 Torch, a rep came over started talking to me. Skipping the cordials:
    Best Buy Rep: So why do you want a Blackberry?
    Me: I've had this one for around 3 years, and after some issues at first, I got a solid device and it's worked really well for me. I'm sort of between this one and the 9930.
    BB Rep: Oh I like this one much better. Bigger screen, all touch screen, and it's smaller. Which carrier do you have?
    This is fine, he's not feeding me BS...yet.
    Me: This is true. But I think I'm going to just stick with a keyboard I guess. I'm on Verizon.
    BB Rep: Well this one's only on Sprint
    Me: Uh, you sure? I just saw the 9850 on Verizon's site last night.
    BB Rep: Yep. And why do you need a keyboard?
    Me: Huh. I just prefer having a keyboard.
    BB Rep: Well you'll have to come around to a touchscreen at some point. They won't always have keyboards.

This is when I just walked away thinking talk to ya' later, junior.

I did stop at a Sprint store before I went to Best Buy. The rep gets major props, as he was very courteous. I asked to see the dummy unit 9930 he had locked up in the glass case. He handed it to me and mentioned it was just a dummy unit, but one of his coworkers just got one and she seems to like it a lot and mentioned when she works next. He didn't throw any other devices at me and say "This ones better!" or try to sell me anything else. He mentioned those who like BlackBerry tend to stay with BlackBerry. He also gave me a flyer for the used phone buy back program. He was very helpful and only showed me what I was looking for. I didn't mention I was with Verizon, but if I was looking for a new carrier, I probably would have switched.

I ended up with a 9930 from Best Buy (from a DIFFERENT rep ) for $100

TL;DR: Verizon & RadioShack don't want to sell BlackBerry, Best Buy reps are ill-informed but act like they aren't, and at least one Sprint rep knows how to sell their products.

Oh yeah, I still didn't find a working 9930 Mine is being shipped.
    Go Sprint!!!
    Mr.Monty likes this.
    03-13-12 09:06 PM
    Again, shove crackberry in their ***

They will love to see their doubts fixed.
    03-13-12 09:10 PM
    You got that right. My Bold 9900 lasts three times as long as a coworkers Razr Maxx on a single charge in the same conditions.
    No it doesn't.
    03-13-12 09:14 PM
    Again, shove crackberry in their ***

They will love to see their doubts fixed.
    Perhaps with one of my older computers, but I'm not sending one of my Blackberries up there!

I bet they won't compare the larger screen sized phones to blackberry with a computer monitor up there
    03-13-12 09:42 PM
    So my sister has an OLD Storm 1..yea that thing. She has had some problems with the device over the years�She had the screen RMA�d about a year after she got it, & now her BB button doesn�t work. Now she is having her 3rd issue with the multi-year old phone. It�s battery no longer lasts very long�I would not call this an issue, as it happens with older batteries, all you do is replace the removable battery. Anyway, she went to Bell (Bell Canada) to look at a replacement & the sales girl tried to sell her an Android. She did this by repeating every bit of negative & untrue anti-RIM news out there. The one that stands out, is that BB has issues with their batteries, & a new battery will soon go just like her current one. IF she wants better battery life SHE SHOULD BUY A 4G ANDROID! Seeing as those are KNOWN for their bad battery, I cant believe a sales person would have the nerve to state they have better batteries then BlackBerrys.

Anyway, so now I have my sister seriously considering buying a 4G Android phone, thx to the lies fed to her from the sales person. All this bad press ect. About RIM is a self fulfilling prophesy. If you keep lying about RIM & saying that no one is buying them, people are going to listen to you, & eventually no one will buy them
    The battery life on new Blackberries is really bad now. Every new Blackberry model has progressively worse battery life. Battery life on my 8300 and 8310 were incredible. The 9700 battery life was fine, but my 9810 battery life is disgustingly bad. I have an extra battery that I carry.

RIM has been pushed to have larger and brighter screens and a faster processor that struggles still on the archaic BB OS7.

That sales person is right. Battery life on a blackberry is not great.

Battery life on my Google Nexus One and Google Nexus S was on par with my 9810. The battery life on my Google Galaxy Nexus is better than my 9810.

I have tried various leaked OS on my 9810 and it even made it worse.
    03-13-12 09:50 PM
    My 9900 came with a faulty battery. Rogers is replacing all 9900 batteries no questions asked. Even my non faulty battery has awful life on it. I took it off charger again 2 hours ago, with battery saver on, it sat on my desk for an hour idle, I started using it about 45 minutes ago and it's down to 78%.

While I would never, ever tell a customer that the 4G Android have better battery, they are pretty close to equal to my real world experience with my 9900. Even compared to the Storm, the battery is awful.

To be fair, though, I could get up to 36 hours on my SGS and the SGS2 has pretty decent battery life - the one I used for 3 days was getting 12-18 hours moderate use. Better than the 9900.

So while the salesperson may have been a bit over the top about the battery, I fail to see where there was any misinformation about the BB battery.

EDIT

For what it's worth, it may have been a dealer store, not corporate. Some dealer stores are famous for some very, very sleazy sales practices that make Bell Corporate look bad (like promotions on small business plans sold as consumer plans fraudulently). Generally this kind of sales talk is a dealer not corporate. I know in my corporate location, we have 7 reps. In that group there are 2 Playbooks, 6 BBs, iPhone (mine since I dual handset) and one Android. We are a very, very BB friendly location. Please don't make it sound like all of Bell behaves that way, it is quite likely it's a dealer. You can tell by the sign - the Bell sign on the store will be blue bordered white, and corporate is white bordered blue. Very different rules - I loathe fixing the issues caused by a dealer location. They generally have poor product knowledge on the handsets and send them to us for any help after they eff it up badly.

DISCLAIMER - not all Bell dealer non corporate are bad. Not all corporate are good. We have had to report some of the advertising though, particularly in the GTA.
    Exactly!!! Battery life on my 9810 is abysmal compared to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

And I am always using my Samsung,. I never do anything with my 9810. It sucks a lot of juice just idling.
    03-13-12 09:53 PM
    Well, it sure is good that I DO know what I'm doing.

Hmm, let's see.

1) Running the .267 leak
    2) Battery saver always on
    3) calibrated battery as per instructions on this very site (in had been a while since I had to calibrate a RIM battery and the iPhone calibration is different)
    4) no auto updates run in the background.
    5) only apps I have installed are facebook, twitter and tapatalk. I only reinstalled tapatalk 1 hour ago because I saw no difference in battery in the week I had it uninstalled
    6) on wifi when available.
    7) close out of everything so as to not leave anything running in the background

I put my 9900 down about 15 minutes ago on my desk. When I did, it was at 72%. I just picked it up and in the last 15 minutes it's now at 68%. Idling. Clearly I must have put it on the desk wrong, according to you.

I love it when it's obviously operator error. I mean, surely RIM can't ever be criticized. Kudos on your mythological 16 hour battery life, BTW. Your condescenscion works both ways. Frankly I'm starting to think that there may be a difference between the CDMA version and the GSM version. Remember - we DON'T HAVE THE SAME MODEL NUMBER.

I regret taking you off ignore. Putting you back as we speak.
    Sounds like my nightmare exactly with my 9810.

Buy a second battery. What pisses me off about RIM is they will sell me a second battery but not a battery pod charger like what is available for the 9900.

It is like the 9810 is an orphan. Not impressed RIM!!!
    03-13-12 09:56 PM
    My 9810 has been off the charger since 530am and now I still have 55% battery life. Regular usage. Bbm a few calls social feeds and wifi and bluetooth on when home for the past 6 hours. Bridged to playbook. Running 7.1 258. Goodnight
    03-13-12 10:58 PM
    My 9810 has been off the charger since 530am and now I still have 55% battery life. Regular usage. Bbm a few calls social feeds and wifi and bluetooth on when home for the past 6 hours. Bridged to playbook. Running 7.1 258. Goodnight
    Can you take a screenshot of your battery usage app for us?

It is a pure fallacy that the new Androids have poor battery life. My Android battery far outperforms the battery on my Torch 9810. When using my 9810 I am forced to carry an extra battery if I don't want to get caught short.

I could tell you that my Android has put in a 12 hour day for me and still has 75% left, but you would probably think I was lying. So I will just show you instead. After a long day at work I still had lots of juice left for going out that evening.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 03-14-12 at 03:57 AM.
    03-14-12 02:49 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD