Editorial: RIM seems to be as lost as my BlackBerry -- Engadget

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 07:19 PM
    I currently have an iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire and a Blackberry 9700. I've gone through stages of trying to adjust to each one as they all have characteristics that I find attractive in a device but I continually find myself returning to the Bold 9700.

Why? I want a permanently exposed qwerty keyboard on a device that will not go flat on the second day if I don't charge overnight. I might go camping, fishing etc... and it just isn't possible or convenient.

I want a device that will deliver push email for multiple addresses and that I can operate moderately efficiently with one hand.

I also want an operating system that elegantly connects the variety of communications platforms. For example, in the Facebook app on the Desire (Android) it actually adds a xml tag to the address book contact notes field when you connect them to your facebook entry resulting in ugly data viewed on anything that doesn't support the tag.

The only device I can think of that might tick a few of the above would be a Motorola Droid Pro but will it last two days with decent use? I doubt it. Does it integrate linking multiple contacts from facebook, twitter, googletalk to the address book without touching my master contact record. Not that I know of.

Does it provide even a basic notes and task application with sync functions out of the box? Nope, don't think so.

The other day I fired up the Desire, ran Google Talk and went to find a setting to hide offline contacts or even group them so I could collapse the group. No can do!

So, the Bold 9700 lives on... Those flash big screens are nice but at the cost of finger prints, unsuitable battery life and a sort of a nearly there operating system? Nope ...

Bold 9700 with a slightly larger screen would be perfect and keyboard shortcuts rock! The columnist will return to the fold one day
    Last edited by flibbulator; 12-15-10 at 10:12 PM.
    12-15-10 10:10 PM
    I can't seem to find the video link. Would be interesting to see. Can anybody post the link?
    12-15-10 10:51 PM
    Looks to be just a link to the engadget article that has quite a few threads already.
    12-15-10 10:58 PM
    Sad but true. I dont think we'll see QNX on a phone anytime soon.
    12-15-10 11:02 PM
    Ya know, in defense of RIM, it's not like they're asking a fortune for any of the new devices. My Torch was $99. Just saw an ad for the new Style from sprint for $99 - or was it two for $99. I realize price isn't everything, especially considering the commitment. Still...some of us can't afford the $200 + $50 case + tax equaling $300-$400 for the new iPhone 4 or some of the high end Android devices.
    12-15-10 11:08 PM
    Ya know, in defense of RIM, it's not like they're asking a fortune for any of the new devices. My Torch was $99. Just saw an ad for the new Style from sprint for $99 - or was it two for $99. I realize price isn't everything, especially considering the commitment. Still...some of us can't afford the $200 + $50 case + tax equaling $300-$400 for the new iPhone 4 or some of the high end Android devices.
    the upfront cost is a minor part of the cost of ownership. you can also get an iphone 3g for $99.
    12-15-10 11:20 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/eng...kberry-567239/

This is posted in the News section guys...
    12-15-10 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD