I have gone back and forth in my Blackberry usage over the last few years. There is a part of me that cannot stay away, but a part that recognizes how far behind they they. I am very hopeful Blackberry 10 brings me back as a loyal user. Currently I jump between Android and iOS mostly. However, I have ended up traveling a lot more in a new role and decided I need a Blackberry keyboard for pounding emails out on the road and in airports.

I stopped at a Verizon store yesterday and said I would like to make a retail purchase of a 9930. I have never been pushed against a device more than what I witnessed yesterday. It has "a slow processor, runs on our old network, nobody uses Blackberry, and it has no apps."

Basically she was going to do everything not to sell me the phone. The classic Verizon Droid push was on. I explained I have a GS3 and the iPhone already and I want the Blackberry for the keyboard and communication advantages.

I really hope there is a concerted effort by RIM to overcome the negative marketing push by the people who are supposed to sell their phones. If not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry.

I know this story is replayed here at Crackberry from time to time, but figured I add my first hand experience. The only good thing about it was she mentioned the certified Pre-owned on the website and I just took delivery of a 9930 for $359 that I ordered online instead of from the store.

--Posted via Tapatalk--
    11-07-12 12:24 PM
    Verizon doesn't want to sell anything that isn't LTE other than you get a pass iPhone.
    11-07-12 12:30 PM
    I encountered this when I was simply switching from an HTC Rezound to a 9930. I called up customer care to tell them I wanted to switch my service over (both devices were already paid for, mind you) and the rep was asking me all kinds of questions about why I'd want to go from one of their flagship Android devices (at the time) to a 9930. I mentioned wanting to take it on bikerides and not have to worry as much about dropping it as I would my Rezound. The associate then started saying "Well you could always get a case...blah blah blah." Finally I just had to shut her up and tell her to switch my service over. It was ridiculous. They BETTER the heck change their tune once BB10 comes out.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-07-12 12:34 PM
    Total bs...Well, Its BLACKBERRY againts the world! Everyday at my office co-workers keep making fun of me because i am the only one sticking it out with my 9900 and they are rocking their driod and iphones. I tell them wait till next year then we will see. BB1O please don't dissappoint.
    bb624, eddy_berry, gonz561 and 1 others like this.
    11-07-12 12:42 PM
    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.
    11-07-12 12:49 PM
    There's still some stores that are "anti-BlackBerry". Just a few weeks ago a friend stopped in a store for a billing question, and the rep noted that her and her sister each had a Storm2. He proceded to inform her that BlackBerries would soon no longer work on Verizon since RIM "is in foreclosure and won't be making new phones". My friend doesn't like her Storm2 nor has any love for RIM, but even she thought that was a bit extreme.

On a side note, I do find it quite amusing that even though she claims not to like her Storm2 she's had it since Dec '09, well past her upgrade and MANY new releases.
    kbz1960 and shemaree09 like this.
    11-07-12 12:51 PM
    Well with BB10 you can cross out "has a slow proccessor", you can also cross out, "runs on our old network", but the has no apps is just plain wrong.

But with BB10 the quality of apps would be much better so I guess you can half cross it out.

Now no one using a BB is the only reason left.

Well, it's up to the person to decide to get what everyone else has. Or if they can make up their own mind.

Or better yet, if RIM can market the device well enough for people to want the BB device.
    11-07-12 12:53 PM
    I feel lucky that I have never experienced this at my local AT&T store. They always help me with what I need without bias.
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the 9900 and 9810 proudly on display.
    11-07-12 12:54 PM

Same with me. My AT&T store is awesome.
    Never any problems.

Verizon, on the other hand, always looked down their collective noses at me when I bought my BBs. Or when I got accessories for them. They literally turned off the instant I mentioned BB.
    11-07-12 12:54 PM
    I am sure they do since you have to pay to bridge with them its free elsewhere.
    11-07-12 12:58 PM
    I have gone back and forth in my Blackberry usage over the last few years. There is a part of me that cannot stay away, but a part that recognizes how far behind they they. I am very hopeful Blackberry 10 brings me back as a loyal user. Currently I jump between Android and iOS mostly. However, I have ended up traveling a lot more in a new role and decided I need a Blackberry keyboard for pounding emails out on the road and in airports.

I stopped at a Verizon store yesterday and said I would like to make a retail purchase of a 9930. I have never been pushed against a device more than what I witnessed yesterday. It has "a slow processor, runs on our old network, nobody uses Blackberry, and it has no apps."

Basically she was going to do everything not to sell me the phone. The classic Verizon Droid push was on. I explained I have a GS3 and the iPhone already and I want the Blackberry for the keyboard and communication advantages.

I really hope there is a concerted effort by RIM to overcome the negative marketing push by the people who are supposed to sell their phones. If not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry.

I know this story is replayed here at Crackberry from time to time, but figured I add my first hand experience. The only good thing about it was she mentioned the certified Pre-owned on the website and I just took delivery of a 9930 for $359 that I ordered online instead of from the store.

--Posted via Tapatalk--
    Great post OP and as you said they push against RIM products but we all know that retail sales people are not what you should base your decision on.
    11-07-12 01:01 PM
    Interesting perspective. I haven't got a PB so that additional fee doesn't apply to me.
    11-07-12 01:02 PM
    I'm sorry to say it but I've experienced the same thing when I accompanied my wife to upgrade to a 9790 from her Pearl 3G.

Orange (now EE) UK shop:
    BlackBerry will be no more next year
    They are running out of business
    There are sooo much better phones then any BlackBerry
    You can't use Apple TV with a BlackBerry
    BlackBerrys are crap, I have an iPhone 5 now

Just a few samples of what he said ignoring my wife telling him she doesn't like touch screen and she doesn't do that much with a phone.

What I didn't know, and what you probably don't know yet either, is that you can report these people to Rim that apparently have a team for that.

I told one of the people I know at Rim and she subsequently took his name and said next day he'll get a call. I have no idea what happened after that though.
    11-07-12 03:04 PM
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the...9810 proudly on display.
    I thought that the 9810 was discontinued a while back? I haven't seen one available in any of the T-Mo stores near me
    11-07-12 03:19 PM
    I thought that the 9810 was discontinued a while back? I haven't seen one available in any of the T-Mo stores near me
    Well come to think of it I haven't been there for a few months (this was in July), it just seems like it was sooner than that. So I guess I spoke too soon when I said they "still display" them. I don't know if that's currently true. I just know that there have been reports of Verizon reps badmouthing BB's long prior to that.
    11-07-12 03:52 PM
    It makes me wonder if Verizon plans to carry BB10 at launch.

--Posted via Tapatalk--
    11-07-12 03:53 PM
    Same with T-Mo. They still have the 9900 and 9810 proudly on display.
    Was just in a local Rogers store today picking up my new phone. 3/4 employees in the store were using 9900's.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-07-12 03:56 PM
    Total bs...Well, Its BLACKBERRY againts the world! Everyday at my office co-workers keep making fun of me because i am the only one sticking it out with my 9900 and they are rocking their driod and iphones. I tell them wait till next year then we will see. BB1O please don't dissappoint.
    Rocking to what? Taking pictures of their lunch and posting them on Instagram? Who cares.

Instead you are frantically exchanging messages and consuming valuable information for the next big move in your life. BlackBerry people do.
    leehardballer12 and gonz561 like this.
    11-07-12 06:10 PM
    It seems to me that Verizon is trying to move on from selling older CDMA devices anymore AND BlackBerry, as yet, doesn't have any newer LTE devices for then to sell. Others carriers don't really have that problem seeing as HSDPA is still relatively up to snuff as far as networking technologies go. It so happens, then, that HSDPA BlackBerrys aren't overly obsolete yet. Yes, CDMA is practically as good as dead... There's a reason why all Canadian carriers no longer have anything to do with selling brand new CDMA equipment anymore...
    11-07-12 06:16 PM
    Was just in a local Rogers store today picking up my new phone. 3/4 employees in the store were using 9900's.
    I don't think the bias at carrier stores is as pronounced here in Canada (or at least with the stores I've dealt with in Vancouver); or maybe it could be a Rogers thing. I've not had any sales reps second guess my purchasing decisions, although the last time I bought a phone was over a year ago...
    11-07-12 06:32 PM
    I never go into an actual store to purchase a phone. I am an online purchaser only. I know what I want and need no one to sell me anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-07-12 06:33 PM
    Not if you have the right bridge app.
    hpjrt likes this.
    11-07-12 06:43 PM
    Salesman are human beings and carry all kinds of bias....I don't think there is a salesman code that demands they be impartial LOL. In addition, they of course have business interests in mind (themselves and their stores).

I have no doubt there is a lot of anti-BB bias right now...but then...that also reflects popular opinion. (BB undoubtedly enjoyed pro-BB bias for a long time as well) I certainly don't condone misleading or made-up statements.

Now having said all of that.................................I don't THINK they should encourage anybody to buy a BB right now....especially the newbs or the uninformed! Honestly...why would they? It's a platform that's at a complete end! Few have goodwill towards it now, and there will surely not be much future support/apps for it. Even the most faithful here, who also believe strongly that BB10 will be a rousing success are....indeed....waiting on pins and needles for BB10, and trying to hold off buying another current BB!!

I certainly wouldn't tell the average person (unless they have specific reason for which current BB is advantageous) to buy one! If a friend who didnt' know what he was talking about, or didn't know what she wanted went to the store, and came back with a BB07 device because the salesman convinced them to go that way, I'd consider that guy to be completely irresponsible, unless there was a specific reason why the platform was the only one that could fulfill a need.

Love BB, Hate BB....the fact is, it's the absolute end of the life-cycle for the old platform (at least in North America).
    11-07-12 07:22 PM
    Now having said all of that.................................I don't THINK they should encourage anybody to buy a BB right now....especially the newbs or the uninformed!
    This thread is not about whether salespersons should encourage people to buy BlackBerrys right now, but rather about informed buyers telling salespersons exactly what they want and having to deal with being second-guessed and told to buy something else. "Ethical" or not, if that happened to me, I'd tell them to learn how to better serve the customer and never go to that store again.

As for why anyone would buy a BlackBerry right now, is there any other smartphone on the market that offers unlimited e-mail or instant messaging without having to get a full data plan? Is there any other smartphone with a good physical keyboard? Some people actually have their reasons for buying what they want to buy.
    11-07-12 07:53 PM
    This thread is not about whether salespersons should encourage people to buy BlackBerrys right now, but rather about informed buyers telling salespersons exactly what they want and having to deal with being second-guessed and told to buy something else.
    The following from the OP seem to suggest otherwise to me:

IIf not, BB10 will not succeed. I know enough about mobile devices to make my own decision, but I think most people getting that push simply walk go away from Blackberry. --
    However, if it is ONLY about salespeople second-guessing informed buyers, then that is a bit of a no-go issue in my opinion. They may genuinely be trying to help/guide the consumer, and since many of the people they see will not be informed, it's not surprising that they may try to "warn" the consumer if they see them going for a product they wouldn't recommend. In any case, it's much less of an issue for the informed consumer who is sure about what they want, for them, it is, at worst, a mere hassle. It can easily be ended by simply saying politely but firmly: "no, I've made up my mind, thank for the info, but I'd like _________ please."

"Ethical" or not, if that happened to me, I'd tell them to learn how to better serve the customer and never go to that store again.
    I don't like it either, but I've come to expect it at any retailer I go to...particularly from places like futureshop, where you will find all kinds of bad advice. As to telling them "to learn how to better serve..."....well that would depend on the EXACT circumstance, and nature of the interaction. Again, they may well be trying to help, and I wouldn't begrudge them that, as annoying as can be. In any case, you certainly have the right to not go to that store, and I'd encourage anyone unhappy to do just that!

As for why anyone would buy a BlackBerry right now, is there any other smartphone on the market that offers unlimited e-mail or instant messaging without having to get a full data plan? Is there any other smartphone with a good physical keyboard? Some people actually have their reasons for buying what they want to buy.
    , I'd consider that guy to be completely irresponsible, unless there was a specific reason why the platform was the only one that could fulfill a need.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    11-07-12 09:24 PM
41 12