This has been mentioned before, but you are throwing around blanket statements such as "Android does not have a built-in file manager" based on 5-10% of all Android devices out there.

Maybe you should say "Nexus devices don't come with a file manager"?

And even then, I still don't see an issue there. It takes 1 minute tops to get a file manager downloaded.
    Bekkay, I have zero experience with Android devices so I can't comment on whether they do or don't come with a version of what we know as File Manager.

What I would say, from what you said there, is that my issue with Android in the past has been the 'there's an app for that' type fill in.

Now, I'm not saying that BB10, or any platform is not guilty of needing 'an app for that ', just that as soon as you have to go find you need to know what you are looking for!

One of the things I loved about BB10 from the off is everything I needed, for me, was in it and done and has been improved upon since.

I'm not saying that Android is a bad choice, just that sometimes it's easier for the thicker amongst us (that's me, btw) to have what we need there and then.

As long as that meets our personal needs, of course.

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-03-14 05:52 PM
    Unless you own your own business,why would the average smartphone user need a file manager?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Ok....I'm late to this thread...but this has to be the craziest post in here...I'm sure even ios and android fans will ask what the heck are you talking about :s

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    01-03-14 06:04 PM
    Have to say I absolutely love BlackBerry Maps. Didn't think I would, but the more you play with it, the more it grows on you. The updated traffic info is spot on in the UK (can't speak for elsewhere) and has proven an invaluable quick check before heading out as to which route to take.

That and the new Share Location feature which I have to say is brilliant with BBM (can't get it to work with SMS mind), very simple, very effective.

Posted via CB10
    It's funny, on Android it's the other way around. You can share location via text but not BBM.

As for file managers, check my last post. I wasn't lying I swear lol.

The whole premise of the thread was that the native BB10 file manager was reason alone for Android users to switch to BB10. In my experience and opinion, that isn't the case. There are other reasons why an Android user would switch to BB10 (unique OS, hub, familiar keyboard if they had been using SwiftKey, more secure, etc) but most OEMs include a file manager baked into the OS through their custom UI and those that don't can be remedied by many great 3rd party options, so BB10's stock file manager alone isn't a reason to switch. I think the one exception would be if a particular user was looking for native remote access to their PC. AFAIK none of the stock file managers come with that feature.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-03-14 06:33 PM
    What a silly thread this became.

All smartphones can do pretty much the same things. It's how they do it (ease of use, UX) and how well they do it (depth of features, reliability) that sets the great (BB10, IMO) from the good (high-end Android, iOS). Then there's Windows phone which doesn't really seem to be very good, frankly, locking basic features like a notification center and VPN.

I think Android is great for a certain kind of tinkerer. For someone who wants to get a lot done quickly and wants to spend as little time as possible fiddling with their phone, BB10 is probably a better choice. At least that's been my experience.
    01-03-14 07:10 PM
    Well yes. What else would it be? But it was an opinion in response to the false claim that Samsung Galaxy devices lack a file manager, and the highly dubious claim that the absence of a file manager on Nexus phones (assuming that to be true) is "enough reason for people to switch to BlackBerry." It might be a reason for a few people, especially if there were no decent free file managers available for download, but it strains credulity to think that this could be "enough reason" for very many (given free file managers in Google Play). No, you didn't say everyone will switch to BB10 because of the file manager, but you did say, right in the title, that this is enough reason for people to switch. "Enough reason" means sufficient reason, or all the reason they would need to make the switch. "People," I suppose, could mean simply at least one human being. Should the thread perhaps be retitled "Lack of a pre-installed file manager provides sufficient reason for at least one person to switch from Android to BB10"? That appears to be what you're getting at.

As for BB Maps and Google Maps, I'm well aware that Google is by far the more popular choice. And if BB Maps were enough reason to switch back to BB10, I'd be there now. So I'll happily concede that the number of people who would switch to BB10 for BB Maps is probably in the single digits. It's just about as likely as switching for the file manager.
    Be maps is awesome all I need until 10.2.1 comes

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:12 AM
    Be maps is awesome all I need until 10.2.1 comes

Posted via CB10
    I really wish I had gotten to try be maps.
    01-04-14 03:24 PM
    What a silly thread this became.

All smartphones can do pretty much the same things. It's how they do it (ease of use, UX) and how well they do it (depth of features, reliability) that sets the great (BB10, IMO) from the good (high-end Android, iOS). Then there's Windows phone which doesn't really seem to be very good, frankly, locking basic features like a notification center and VPN.

I think Android is great for a certain kind of tinkerer. For someone who wants to get a lot done quickly and wants to spend as little time as possible fiddling with their phone, BB10 is probably a better choice. At least that's been my experience.
    Well said, the difference is not whether all OS's seem to be able to do 'x', the it's more how you get to do it.

I think that last paragraph sums it up for me. Tinkering seems to be the fun side of Android for those that want to tinker, and fair play to them, if that's what you want.

I haven't even changed the wallpaper on my Z10 but through CB I've learned more baked in features on my phone than I ever knew existed, it's been great learning them and finding how they can benefit me.

BUT I'm a busy man! It was only once I'd shown an interest in finding out that I started to work out what it could do. How many people really use even 10% of their phone of whatever hue? Most aren't that interested in learning. They just buy what they feel they should based on what they are told by marketing and/or reps as it is 'the latest thing' or 'what they are used to.'

In fact, I still love the look on a colleagues face (we're a BB company) when I show them that by slapping 2 phones back to back you can transfer a photo via NFC.

Me and Mrs Biggly did this also the other day in front of (careful now!) some friends and they were amazed and asked what phones we had.

They both had NFC enabled Androids.

And I am happy to say I just told them it was available on BB10.... and stopped there.

Naughty, I know, but I couldn't help myself and still feel a little guilty...
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-04-14 05:45 PM
    Well said, the difference is not whether all OS's seem to be able to do 'x', the it's more how you get to do it.

I think that last paragraph sums it up for me. Tinkering seems to be the fun side of Android for those that want to tinker, and fair play to them, if that's what you want.

I haven't even changed the wallpaper on my Z10 but through CB I've learned more baked in features on my phone than I ever knew existed, it's been great learning them and finding how they can benefit me.

BUT I'm a busy man! It was only once I'd shown an interest in finding out that I started to work out what it could do. How many people really use even 10% of their phone of whatever hue? Most aren't that interested in learning. They just buy what they feel they should based on what they are told by marketing and/or reps as it is 'the latest thing' or 'what they are used to.'

In fact, I still love the look on a colleagues face (we're a BB company) when I show them that by slapping 2 phones back to back you can transfer a photo via NFC.

Me and Mrs Biggly did this also the other day in front of (careful now!) some friends and they were amazed and asked what phones we had.

They both had NFC enabled Androids.

And I am happy to say I just told them it was available on BB10.... and stopped there.

Naughty, I know, but I couldn't help myself and still feel a little guilty...
    So....you are basically bragging?there are things that my note 3 can do but the blackberry can't but you don't see me around bragging although I still have 2 blackberry products.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    TgeekB and mornhavon like this.
    01-25-14 10:51 AM
    Bekkay, I have zero experience with Android devices so I can't comment on whether they do or don't come with a version of what we know as File Manager.

What I would say, from what you said there, is that my issue with Android in the past has been the 'there's an app for that' type fill in.

Now, I'm not saying that BB10, or any platform is not guilty of needing 'an app for that ', just that as soon as you have to go find you need to know what you are looking for!

One of the things I loved about BB10 from the off is everything I needed, for me, was in it and done and has been improved upon since.

I'm not saying that Android is a bad choice, just that sometimes it's easier for the thicker amongst us (that's me, btw) to have what we need there and then.

As long as that meets our personal needs, of course.

Posted via CB10
    How can someone have an issue with something he's never used?

mornhavon likes this.
    01-25-14 10:55 AM
    So....you are basically bragging?there are things that my note 3 can do but the blackberry can't but you don't see me around bragging although I still have 2 blackberry products.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a BlackBerry fan espousing the features of a device or OS that he/she loves and suits his/her needs. I do it myself. And after all, this is a BlackBerry-oriented site. Such enthusiasm is welcome and appreciated here.

And yes, I know that the Note 3 has a different feature set that suits some users better than a BlackBerry might -- I see those discussed (and even "bragged about") on Android Central all the time. I'm thinking about grabbing one for myself.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    01-25-14 11:19 AM
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with a BlackBerry fan espousing the features of a device or OS that he/she loves and suits his/her needs. I do it myself. And after all, this is a BlackBerry-oriented site. Such enthusiasm is welcome and appreciated here.

And yes, I know that the Note 3 has a different feature set that suits some users better than a BlackBerry might -- I see those discussed (and even "bragged about") on Android Central all the time. I'm thinking about grabbing one for myself.
    I rarely see an android user bragging on crackberry.

01-26-14 10:54 PM
586 ... 222324