for some reason, all the kiddies at my daughters school went BB (for BBM go figure) my family are split half and half between iPhone and BB. I'm the tech geek of the family and I use an Android. I'll break it down for you this way:

Are you into tech and enjoy tweaking and optimizing a lot? try an android. I will tell you as an android user that I'm not really impressed how Android OS optimizes dual core phones.

do you want a total hands off easy out of the box experience for web surfing, games and fun stuff type smartphone? Go Iphone.

Not care about those kinds of activities and mostly want a phone for voice, tesxing and social networking with just a little light web surfing? Stick with BB (I love my playbook but BB phones don't seem up to snuff for the heavy surfing, media, and other internet based activities I do on my phone)
    12-19-11 03:32 PM
    Really android is better then bb os7??I have used the nexus,and ya screen is nice browsing,not a huge difference then the 9810,and email push come on bb is not a cripple no ffff way,I here we go again with the selling point of the apple and androids the APPS wow I really hope bb doesn't die,I can't stand these multimedia toys,and then people get pissed when there private info are exposed go figure????
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    12-19-11 03:51 PM
    for some reason, all the kiddies at my daughters school went BB (for BBM go figure) my family are split half and half between iPhone and BB. I'm the tech geek of the family and I use an Android. I'll break it down for you this way:

Are you into tech and enjoy tweaking and optimizing a lot? try an android. I will tell you as an android user that I'm not really impressed how Android OS optimizes dual core phones.

do you want a total hands off easy out of the box experience for web surfing, games and fun stuff type smartphone? Go Iphone.

Not care about those kinds of activities and mostly want a phone for voice, tesxing and social networking with just a little light web surfing? Stick with BB (I love my playbook but BB phones don't seem up to snuff for the heavy surfing, media, and other internet based activities I do on my phone)
    Yes, BB is popular with kids because of BBM. Blackberry should lower their prices and be more competitive.
    12-19-11 03:59 PM
    Really I have used the nexus,and the apple,and I really don't see wht the hype is all about,I mean yes nice screen,apps (big deal),bells a whistles,but to actually use the voice on the phone not the greatest,batt is terrible I mean dual core on a smartphone what the heck,now the bb 9810 is not a oh my god what a total garbage very far from that,the email push,bbm,security I'm sorry,but people have to realize that bb is not going to die,there bb10 phone will be just fine,the analists just have to reeeeeelax.
    12-19-11 04:02 PM
    I have been a BB diehard for quite some time, 8300>9000>9700>9800>9900. I even paid $630 to get an unlocked 9900 early (couldn't wait for AT&T). I do like the 9900 alot, but not having access to apps (Netflix, Words with Friends, Instagram, etc.) and with ICS being rolled out for Android, I think I will be switching. Also the fact that it looks like we will now have to wait for BB10 devices until late next year is too long for me. I think Android is getting more stable & reliable, and the devices are even getting better battery life than the early ones, as far as I have read.

My biggest concern is size. I love the bigger screen, and have played with the Galaxy S2, but I am worried that it will be too big for everyday use. Can anyone that has switched comment on this, especially a Galaxy S2? Thanks.
    12-19-11 04:24 PM
    How reliable is the nexus?what about malware?can it be used to receive corporate emails,and what about top notch security does the nexus have it??
    12-19-11 04:31 PM
    Really android is better then bb os7??I have used the nexus,and ya screen is nice browsing,not a huge difference then the 9810,and email push come on bb is not a cripple no ffff way,I here we go again with the selling point of the apple and androids the APPS wow I really hope bb doesn't die,I can't stand these multimedia toys,and then people get pissed when there private info are exposed go figure????
    Really I have used the nexus,and the apple,and I really don't see wht the hype is all about,I mean yes nice screen,apps (big deal),bells a whistles,but to actually use the voice on the phone not the greatest,batt is terrible I mean dual core on a smartphone what the heck,now the bb 9810 is not a oh my god what a total garbage very far from that,the email push,bbm,security I'm sorry,but people have to realize that bb is not going to die,there bb10 phone will be just fine,the analists just have to reeeeeelax.
    How reliable is the nexus?what about malware?can it be used to receive corporate emails,and what about top notch security does the nexus have it??
    You don't like the Nexus or 'analists' at all, do you?
    12-19-11 05:50 PM
    I have been a BB diehard for quite some time, 8300>9000>9700>9800>9900. I even paid $630 to get an unlocked 9900 early (couldn't wait for AT&T). I do like the 9900 alot, but not having access to apps (Netflix, Words with Friends, Instagram, etc.) and with ICS being rolled out for Android, I think I will be switching. Also the fact that it looks like we will now have to wait for BB10 devices until late next year is too long for me. I think Android is getting more stable & reliable, and the devices are even getting better battery life than the early ones, as far as I have read.

My biggest concern is size. I love the bigger screen, and have played with the Galaxy S2, but I am worried that it will be too big for everyday use. Can anyone that has switched comment on this, especially a Galaxy S2? Thanks.
    Coming from a Curve, size was a concern for me. I am quite happy with a 4.3 screen. It works better for me.
    12-19-11 05:52 PM
    If I could have gotten the battery life on the LG G2x that I'm now (finally) getting on my 9900, I'd still be using it.

And for all I know, if I'd been as stubborn about finding a way to get that battery life on the G2x, I'd probably have succeeded. I threw in the towel after eight days. My first eight days with the 9900 were a train wreck, battery-wise.

I don't have a problem with Android, but I'm doing fine with the 9900 for now.
    12-19-11 07:25 PM
    Using it is not the same as owning it. The sales numbers sadly speak for themselves. Blackberry is losing market share, and fast.
    12-19-11 08:44 PM
    Blackberry is losing market share, and fast.
    Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I get rid of my BlackBerry and get an android?
    12-19-11 09:22 PM
    Android is NOT a cutting edge, not even close, believe me, I owned them. Why do you think I'm back into Blackberrys after owning androids?
    Just noticed this guy who dogged me for choosing Android in this thread on page one is now, a year and a half later, an Android user himself(Droid Bionic).
    12-19-11 10:12 PM
    Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I get rid of my BlackBerry and get an android?
    Depends on what you want out of a phone.
    12-20-11 12:39 AM

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. At first I thought it was too big. Now I think my other phones are too small. All that real estate makes viewing web pages and emails all the more enjoyable.

It is a little big for one handed operation. You won't be able to handle this phone while driving which is a very good thing.

When walking down the street and using it one hand, be careful that you don't bump into someone because with one hand, you never have a strong grip on the phone and it will fly out of your hand in a pedestrian collision.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the best Android OS ever. I absolutely love this phone.
    12-20-11 12:44 AM
    If you don't like multimedia, skype, apps, emailing from a gmail account, a wifi hotspot, netflix, etc., get a blackberry. They are good for texting and talking.
    12-20-11 12:47 AM
    I totally agree. I actually feel safe on my BB. My Android was always asking for permisions that it should not of. It was creepy.
    12-20-11 12:48 AM
    I totally agree. I actually feel safe on my BB. My Android was always asking for permisions that it should not of. It was creepy.
    Blackberries look good. They feel good. Are you going to get the 9900? That is a nice looking Blackberry.
    12-20-11 12:54 AM
    Apps ask for permission so you know what to expect before installilng an app. It's not creepy at all. What would be creepy is if you had to install apps without knowing what services it would access.
    12-20-11 01:09 AM
    I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. At first I thought it was too big. Now I think my other phones are too small. All that real estate makes viewing web pages and emails all the more enjoyable.

It is a little big for one handed operation. You won't be able to handle this phone while driving which is a very good thing.

When walking down the street and using it one hand, be careful that you don't bump into someone because with one hand, you never have a strong grip on the phone and it will fly out of your hand in a pedestrian collision.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the best Android OS ever. I absolutely love this phone.
    Vlingo while you're driving. It's one thing to dial a number while you're at a stop light. It's another to text or shuffle through your music while you're driving.

As far as bumping into people and losing grip on the phone, I'd say that's the fault of the device user for not paying attention to where they're going and holding their phone limp wristed.
    12-20-11 01:14 AM
    Apps ask for permission so you know what to expect before installilng an app. It's not creepy at all. What would be creepy is if you had to install apps without knowing what services it would access.
    I've wasted hours rebuilding the OS on my Blackberries because some app from App World corrupted the OS and caused my Berry to freeze 20 times a day, requiring battery pulls. What a waste of time. How can an installed app corrupt an OS?????
    12-20-11 01:51 AM

I do a lot of web surfing on my BBerries. Shopping. Loads of shopping. I don't mind ordering online on my BB because I feel safe about using my credit card on it. As far as media, nothing beats my iPod....not the Atrix and not the BB. So I use my iPod. YouTube works extremely well on my BB, although the Atrix handles it better. So...I agree with your description....to a point.
    12-20-11 03:36 AM
    If I could have gotten the battery life on the LG G2x that I'm now (finally) getting on my 9900, I'd still be using it.

And for all I know, if I'd been as stubborn about finding a way to get that battery life on the G2x, I'd probably have succeeded. I threw in the towel after eight days. My first eight days with the 9900 were a train wreck, battery-wise.

I don't have a problem with Android, but I'm doing fine with the 9900 for now.
    You know, I gave up on my Atrix the first time I ran it, in great part because of battery life. Then I learned about Task Manager, which was already on the device. It made an enormous difference. When I picked it up again and tweaked my Task Manager settings, I found that the battery life was almost the same as my BB.
    12-20-11 03:40 AM
    You know, I gave up on my Atrix the first time I ran it, in great part because of battery life. Then I learned about Task Manager, which was already on the device. It made an enormous difference. When I picked it up again and tweaked my Task Manager settings, I found that the battery life was almost the same as my BB.
    I was aware of Task Manager, but I probably didn't stick with it as long as I should have. No doubt it was partly due to being beguiled by the bad reputation that Android devices already have for battery life. When I got the 9900 I was more stubborn because I felt I was running out of options. But in retrospect, I'm pretty sure I could have done better with the G2x. In fact, of the eight days I had it, I had one day of outstanding battery performance, despite rather heavy use. I couldn't repeat that, however. But the fact that I did it once means that it could be done.

On the whole, it was a pretty good experience. Since I do a lot of text entry, it was/is important to me to find an efficient keyboard solution. TouchPal was, for me, better than Swype, but still nowhere near what I can do with a physical keypad and auto-text. Even so, I know I would have gotten better at it over time.
    12-20-11 06:22 AM
    If you don't like multimedia, skype, apps, emailing from a gmail account, a wifi hotspot, netflix, etc., get a blackberry. They are good for texting and talking.
    � I don't like multimedia (not on a phone anyway).

� Skype is okay on my laptop, but I don't need it on handheld device.

� Gmail is just one of my email accounts and works fine on my Bold 9650 non-camera.

� I don't need a wifi hotspot because I have a USB modem from my wireless carrier.

� I don't need Netflix on a handheld device. In fact I don't know why anyone would want to watch a movie on a handheld device.

� Yes, voice capability on my handheld is important. I just can't deal with the bs of poor call quality, dropped calls, and reboots/freezes during calls. How are 'droids in that department?

I guess at this point I'm still not sure what to do. The market share thingy could still sway me one way or the other. I just don't know which way yet. I do need something that doesn't have spyware baked into the os. Do 'droids come with that spyware I keep seeing mentioned in news reports called Carrier IQ? (I heard the htc ones do.)
    12-20-11 06:36 AM
    it depends on the carrier. No VZW phones have the carrier IQ, so their HTC devices would not have them. tmobile HTC devices and sprints i think do
    12-20-11 06:50 AM
428 ... 1415161718
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD