interesting i have never had that Q. Maybe someone else can help you out on that one
    12-19-11 04:56 AM
    QB, not sure. I've never had that issue nor have I seen that issue come up anywhere. I'm not quite sure on not needing a Gmail account. It's my understanding that you do need a Gmail account.
    12-19-11 05:02 AM
    interesting i have never had that Q. Maybe someone else can help you out on that one

Yup, it's frustrating because I was REALLY enjoying it.
    Have you ever seen a little green star show up on the notifications bar? Right next with the number of messages. I'd never seen it before.
    I'll stay away for a time then put the SIM card back.

Hey! CONGRATULATIONS on the mod gig!!!! *hugs Matt*

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-19-11 06:15 AM
    QB, not sure. I've never had that issue nor have I seen that issue come up anywhere. I'm not quite sure on not needing a Gmail account. It's my understanding that you do need a Gmail account.

I thought so too. However, there was a conversation I had a while back where an expert Android user commented that it's needed for the purposes of the Android market, but not for the device itself. And since a major draw to Android are apps, well, it's needed.
    I'm paraphrasing those folks. If I got it wrong I'm open to being corrected.
    Have to say, the Atrix 2 was REALLY calling to me.
    And the Razr...but not with a sealed battery.

12-19-11 06:24 AM
    Yup, it's frustrating because I was REALLY enjoying it.
    Have you ever seen a little green star show up on the notifications bar? Right next with the number of messages. I'd never seen it before.
    I'll stay away for a time then put the SIM card back.

Hey! CONGRATULATIONS on the mod gig!!!! *hugs Matt*

nope that is why i find it odd.

After a quick search look into this app called Airpush or addon detector

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...apush-ads.html

and thanks! we will see how the gig goes lol
    12-19-11 06:35 AM
    nope that is why i find it odd.

and thanks! we will see how the gig goes lol
    Ha! Awesome! I'll look for that....

Thanks, Matt!

12-19-11 07:51 AM
    I still find it extremely hard to believe that because of Gmail, you are being targeted by phish emails. Especially when you are being told it's because you've won something..which is generally what happens when you click on them stupid flash ads.

I've been using Gmail exclusively for a year now..and have NEVER received any spam emails outside of the ones i've signed up for knowingly..nor have I heard of any of my friends/family who use Gmail complaining of this.
    12-19-11 09:23 AM

Hmm..seems like a few junk apps seem to be the root of the problem in most cases for "ad spam"..which isn't surprising.

And congrats Howarmatt on the "gig"..hopefully I won't have to feel the wrath of your ban hammer
    12-19-11 09:27 AM
    Congrats Matt!
    12-19-11 09:54 AM
    I still find it extremely hard to believe that because of Gmail, you are being targeted by phish emails. Especially when you are being told it's because you've won something..which is generally what happens when you click on them stupid flash ads.

I've been using Gmail exclusively for a year now..and have NEVER received any spam emails outside of the ones i've signed up for knowingly..nor have I heard of any of my friends/family who use Gmail complaining of this.
    I'm a bit of a security freak, Rick, as you know. I don't click on flash ads.

I'm narrowing it down to gmail because it is the only thing that is different in my Android and my BB experience. My other email accounts are both on my BB and my Atrix.

My habits are the same.

If you consider me a friend then you know of one.
    12-19-11 10:47 AM
    Hmm..seems like a few junk apps seem to be the root of the problem in most cases for "ad spam"..which isn't surprising.

And congrats Howarmatt on the "gig"..hopefully I won't have to feel the wrath of your ban hammer
    The only apps I run on my phones are straight out of the market, with the single exception of Meterberry on my BBerries.
    12-19-11 10:49 AM
    I compared my BB 9930 vs. Galaxy Nexus.

The Galaxy Nexus had a bunch of slowdowns when paging from screen to screen. Ran a bunch of screen tests, but it is a "typical" Android in all cases.

From an overall performance issue, I think iOS and WP7 are more "clear and present" threats vs Android since their interfaces are much more slick and sophisticated.

Even though I lusted for the Galaxy Nexus from all the press, the in-person part was a little disappointing ...
    12-19-11 10:52 AM
    The only apps I run on my phones are straight out of the market, with the single exception of Meterberry on my BBerries.
    From what i read some of the apps in the market use these strange type of advertising. So sadly you will possible run into these apps from the market. Hopefully not many because if i start seeing this crap I will not be happy at all. So far I have not been bothered by the advertising but this would be blatant spam
    12-19-11 10:56 AM
    I wasn't trying to imply that they weren't off the market..but that doesn't mean there arent' junk apps in the Android Market. There are plenty. My guess is you have something on there that has caused this problem..and perhaps the best thing to do would be to delete them all and see if it still happens (which may or may not be an option..as it is time consuming).
    12-19-11 11:01 AM
    I compared my BB 9930 vs. Galaxy Nexus.

The Galaxy Nexus had a bunch of slowdowns when paging from screen to screen. Ran a bunch of screen tests, but it is a "typical" Android in all cases.

From an overall performance issue, I think iOS and WP7 are more "clear and present" threats vs Android since their interfaces are much more slick and sophisticated.

Even though I lusted for the Galaxy Nexus from all the press, the in-person part was a little disappointing ...
    Does the 9930 run "live widgets" on it's different screens? No? Perhaps that is why this is a "typical android"..because they actually do something other than act as an app launcher. When I scroll thru my apps list..it's funny I don't see any kind of hang ups or slow downs..which is essentially all the iOS and BB screens are (access to apps)

Perhaps if/when BBTen comes out and if it has the ability to have "live data" accessed from any screen..then we will have something to compare it to.
    12-19-11 11:05 AM
    Congrats Matt (or should we say Condolences? )

Never have received spam either... this was a reason I actually stopped using Yahoo and Hotmail. Gmail seemed to be the only webmail with an equitable spam filter. I actually find it a bit tight, in that every now and then, it catches "real" email.
    12-19-11 11:08 AM
    From what i read some of the apps in the market use these strange type of advertising. So sadly you will possible run into these apps from the market. Hopefully not many because if i start seeing this crap I will not be happy at all. So far I have not been bothered by the advertising but this would be blatant spam
    The only thing I've added recently have been themes. I got a couple of Thanksgiving live themes and seveal Christmas ones.
    I'm a theme freak.
    12-19-11 11:09 AM
    I never received spam ads either on my Android devices as well. Very interesting.
    12-19-11 11:10 AM
    I wasn't trying to imply that they weren't off the market..but that doesn't mean there arent' junk apps in the Android Market. There are plenty. My guess is you have something on there that has caused this problem..and perhaps the best thing to do would be to delete them all and see if it still happens (which may or may not be an option..as it is time consuming).

Oh, I've got plenty of time these days!!!! I'll delete the themes I just got. Other than those, the last app I got was the DC Metro/Train/Circulator app.
    12-19-11 11:12 AM
    I never received spam ads either on my Android devices as well. Very interesting.
    Dangnabbit, I wish I had a screen capture app on my Atrix. I'd show you...I'm not on funny air, guys!!!! Really, I'm not!!!!
    12-19-11 11:15 AM
    the "soundboards" seem to be attractive for this advertising so many wallpaper and theme stuff is also.
    12-19-11 11:21 AM
    Soundboards? Eh?!?!?
    12-19-11 12:08 PM
    Soundboards? Eh?!?!?
    yes, like sound themes for your phone. i hate them and never use them although the wife installed an angry bird theme on her laptop and i do admit i laugh when i hear a pig grunt or a bird go weeeeee!
    12-19-11 12:30 PM
    Time to upgrade. Has any Blackberry users tried an Android phone? I'd like to know their thoughts if it's just as good as blackberry or do you suggest staying with blackberry?
    I own a Blackberry Torch and and Samsung Google Nexus. I like both but like the Blackberry less and less everyday.

The Blackberry has marginally better battery life. The Android has way more apps and more features such as wifi hotspot and a front facing camera to run apps such as Skype which the Blackberry can't.

If you have a gmail email, the Android experience is unbeatable. Unless you are on an exchange server, the Blackberry handles email very poorly. It does not have 2 way sync between your handset and PC like an Android does.

The blackberry will not run cool apps such as Netflix, Teamviewer, Skype, VPN software, etc. It is really quite crippled.

I like my Blackberry because of the physical keyboard, but that is even getting to be old. The predictive text and correction software on the Android is amazing. I can type blisteringly fast on it.

I have an iphone too. I like this least. On the Android, I like being able to drop and drag music and videos to it and not having to use itunes.

On the Android, I like the fact that I can carry a spare battery. You can't do this with an iphone.

Sadly, the Blackberry brand has been destroyed.

If you do lots of messaging and are on on exchange server, Blackberry may be worth considering. It is a crippled device though.
    12-19-11 12:59 PM
    I own a Blackberry Torch and and Samsung Google Nexus. I like both but like the Blackberry less and less everyday.

The Blackberry has marginally better battery life. The Android has way more apps and more features such as wifi hotspot and a front facing camera to run apps such as Skype which the Blackberry can't.

If you have a gmail email, the Android experience is unbeatable. Unless you are on an exchange server, the Blackberry handles email very poorly. It does not have 2 way sync between your handset and PC like an Android does.

The blackberry will not run cool apps such as Netflix, Teamviewer, Skype, VPN software, etc. It is really quite crippled.

I like my Blackberry because of the physical keyboard, but that is even getting to be old. The predictive text and correction software on the Android is amazing. I can type blisteringly fast on it.

I have an iphone too. I like this least. On the Android, I like being able to drop and drag music and videos to it and not having to use itunes.

On the Android, I like the fact that I can carry a spare battery. You can't do this with an iphone.

Sadly, the Blackberry brand has been destroyed.

If you do lots of messaging and are on on exchange server, Blackberry may be worth considering. It is a crippled device though.
    ^^^ This. I switched from 9930 to Galaxy S2. I can't imagine I am Going back to BB. I can't speak for any other android phone but no BB phone can hold a candle against GS2 IMO.
    12-19-11 01:53 PM
428 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD