Productivity-wise, I find BB lacking for me at this time. Not enough functionality for what I need to do. Email and communication on BB are kind of rudimentary in that it is not intuitive (in all fairness, I use Google-based email for work and personal).

I smile when folks say, empirically, "if you want a communications device, get BlackBerry." Depends on the user; that axiom isn't true across the board anymore. For simplistic communications, I find BB adequate, but in mobile world where advanced, varied communication is crucial, I find Android significantly better.

Simply put, I am far more productive on an Android device than on a BB, but that's me. YMMV.

And, while I know this will shatter the facade of BB security, no one's BB is more secure than my device. 400%? LOL, sure, Norton/Wavescure.
    QFT.

10char
    12-18-11 12:28 PM
    Can someone explain to me what 400% even is?

This always reminds me of when my wrestling coach would say "Josh, you get out there and give me 110%!" How exactly do I give more than 100%?

Anyway, to show what I've done with my LG today...

Answered some emails, sent and received texts, played some Shadowgun on my TV using hdmi from phone to TV, browsed the net, edited a couple documents on Google docs, edited a spreadsheet using docs to go, price checked some prices using barcode scanner while shopping to see what the products were typically selling for in other stores locally, scanned some documents which then converted them to pdf files and emailed them off. I think that covers it. And, no, I haven't had to charge my phone yet.

I think the only thing I haven't done is actually use my phone to make a phone call.
    Last edited by kilted_thrower; 12-18-11 at 01:05 PM.
    12-18-11 12:33 PM
    well both android,and ios are bandwidth hogs,very bad memory management,and very shallow with there security,especially androids,also yes there just awesome multimedia devices,I played yes played with the nexus phone,and yeah very nice screen size etc but nah i will keep my bb torch 9810 with a yes 1.2ghz processor which just fiiiiiiine good day
    12-18-11 01:59 PM
    please explain bad memory management?
    12-18-11 02:07 PM
    BlackBerries are much more secure. RIM does not bake spyware like Carrier IQ into its handsets the way htc has done with many of its. Also, BlackBerry has the AES level of encryption -- not crackable unless one knows the device's password even when connected to a CelleBrite device. Other devices' passwords can be easily circumvented and data accessed by police and others using CelleBrite devices:

"A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

'Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags,' a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. 'The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps.'"

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

The quote applies to iPhone, but the same goes for Android. Only BlackBerry is truly secure.
    12-18-11 02:13 PM
    BlackBerries are much more secure. RIM does not bake spyware like Carrier IQ into its handsets the way htc has done with many of its. Also, BlackBerry has the AES level of encryption -- not crackable unless one knows the device's password even when connected to a CelleBrite device. Other devices' passwords can be easily circumvented and data accessed by police and others using CelleBrite devices:

Only BlackBerry is truly secure.
    I'm curious. I keep hearing about this security issue. Exactly how many of us on here are housing super secret government information?
    12-18-11 02:31 PM
    I'm curious. I keep hearing about this security issue. Exactly how many of us on here are housing super secret government information?
    Gotta keep those nudie pics safe, you know how it is.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-18-11 02:34 PM
    I just reported your antagonistic and otherwise useless post.
    It was a question.. it was only antagonistic in your opinion.

And a question I can relate to, simply because .. I think RIM relies too much on their confidence of security not only in their speaking of BlackBerry but in their marketing of it -- truth is, a lot of customers couldn't care less about the security used on BlackBerry devices.

I personally don't -- I don't even use a password, encrypt my device or anything else so when RIM is constantly touting security when all I care about is whether or not a video file with AC3 audio will be supported they've long since lost my interest.
    12-18-11 02:35 PM
    lol so true,memory management allows necessary apps to work which in return does not allow any memory leaks,in other words apps running in the background.Listen a bit more marketing for Rim,and the blackberry has a lot of potential to endure satisfaction.
    12-18-11 02:37 PM
    Yea, I was hoping Branta would tend to it.
    12-18-11 02:37 PM
    Gotta keep those nudie pics safe, you know how it is.
    Right right. But I like syncing them to the cloud for everyone to enjoy.
    12-18-11 02:43 PM
    I went from a BB 9000 to the Nexus One and I will never go back to RIM/BB.

The twitter delay announcement on the crackberry front page is just another reason I left. The joke of an upgrade called BIS 3.0 is just another reason I left. The crappy BB software that never changes is just another reason I left. The same old hardware basically since the original Pearl 8100 is just another reason I left.

Android is so far ahead of BB it TRULY is not funny.

The only thing I miss about BB is Crackberry.com and thankfully they have an Android forum section.

I loved BB at one point but cannot imagine going back after having experienced cutting edge software and hardware(Android).

Email for me is even better. GMAIL pushes right to the device with no lag just like BB and I do not have to worry about the regular RIM outages anymore!!! Yay!!!
    I find a lot of people say this that had older berries. the 9900 is a much faster phone and keyboard is awesome...
    12-18-11 02:48 PM
    It was a question.. it was only antagonistic in your opinion.

And a question I can relate to, simply because .. I think RIM relies too much on their confidence of security not only in their speaking of BlackBerry but in their marketing of it -- truth is, a lot of customers couldn't care less about the security used on BlackBerry devices.

I personally don't -- I don't even use a password, encrypt my device or anything else so when RIM is constantly touting security when all I care about is whether or not a video file with AC3 audio will be supported they've long since lost my interest.
    Thanks, Bla1ze. In all of my posts, I have yet to actually insult another poster. I might post a question with a semi-sarcastic tone to it. But I have much better things to do than run around insulting others or being insulted by people I've never met on the net.

The only security I employ is keeping my phone on me when I'm at school so my students don't get their grubby hands on it. Seriously, you put your phone down for a second and they're grabbing it and trying to take pictures and go through your contacts. I made that mistake once. I've learned that a lot of adolsecents lack boundaries. Of course I led a nice long discussion on the values of keeping your hands off other peoples property.
    12-18-11 02:49 PM
    Yea, thanks. But it was only a question -- an opinion. I edited my post after the moderator edited his.
    Understandable. I just found it funny that you would post what you did, and then make a comment like that afterwards. lol

And to answer that question, I doubt an overwhelming amount really cares about Angry Birds anymore. They do however probably care about being able to use the majority of popular apps other platforms have.
    12-18-11 02:55 PM
    My useful post -- did you even read it before you replied to it? -- already pointed out that a properly encrypted BlackBerry's files can not be decrypted even if passoword protection is somehow circumvented and phone data accessed by using a CelleBrite device. Can the same be said for an Android device? No. That's how Android's security is not enough.
    Sigh. So you feel insulted by me but you want to reply to me? If you're going to report me for being antagonistic, then please just report me and put me on ignore.

If I hadn't read your post, how could I have replied to it? I understand what you're saying. Blackberry is super secure that hackers can't break into and steal your information. I got it. That and the battery life issue is what gets thrown around all the time when Blackberry vs any other platform comes up.

My response still stands. If I was really that concerned about security, then I wouldn't be using my phone for certain email accounts and whatnot. Or I'd have tighter security software on my phone. And I'd be shredding everything I throw in the trash rather than crumbling and tossing it.
    12-18-11 02:58 PM
    Understandable. I just found it funny that you would post what you did, and then make a comment like that afterwards. lol

And to answer that question, I doubt an overwhelming amount really cares about Angry Birds anymore. They do however probably care about being able to use the majority of popular apps other platforms have.
    Good point. Ugh. Angry birds. I liked that game for about a day. Speaking of games, the biggest thing I missed about my Blackberrys was Brickbreaker. I spent stupid hours on that game.
    12-18-11 03:02 PM
    I think the security issue is lost in the eyes of a lot of consumers(here in the US at least) as they seem to be leaving RIM, probably knowing/hearing how much better their security is.

I also think the average consumer probably thinks to themselves, "do I really need Fort Knox type of security for my smartphone?

War Is All We Know
    12-18-11 03:02 PM

A short while ago the overwhelming amount was crying about the absence of Angry Birds. Now no one cares about Angry Birds? Why not???
    Last edited by Adam Zeis; 12-19-11 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Content
    12-18-11 03:08 PM
    A short while ago the overwhelming amount was crying about the absence of Angry Birds. Now no one cares about Angry Birds? Why not???
    Actually the bs question is how important is security to the average consumer? We're talking an average person not downloading pirated apps, not having security clearance type documents, etc. The average person that responds to emails, makes phone calls, uses the calendar, sends texts, plays a couple games, maybe some Youtube occassoinally, etc.

YOU perceived the post to be useless. But is that not a viable question when talking about the needs of the consumer vs what device they should buy? And if security is that big of an issue, then they are prob not going to be just carrying around a personal stock device they purchased at the AT&T or Verizon store.

My question (and I don't really care if you answer or not) is are you reporting all the posts you find to be useless or just mine because I asked a question in response to your security comment? There are quite a few posts on here where one poster is directly insulting another poster...I'm going to assume you're reporting those also.
    Last edited by Adam Zeis; 12-19-11 at 08:12 AM. Reason: content
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-18-11 03:19 PM
    I don't know, maybe Angry Birds isn't as popular anymore. I have seen plenty of threads about it in the PlayBook forums, especially trying to get it through the Android Player.

It is still one of the most popular apps on iOS. That is because it probably gets updated a lot and has many versions. Also the fact that the developers can deliver in a timely fashion on iOS and Android. The people who REALLY wanted the game probably left BlackBerry already. Not to mention the fact the developers know BB10 is going to be the main focus.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-18-11 at 03:37 PM.
    12-18-11 03:35 PM
    The govmt wants to have tabs on everyone ie carrier iq,and also lets not forget the riots in england supposedly caused by bbm,this is why uae,india,pakistan,englad,and indonisia is pressuring Blackberry to allow the govmt access to vital information,so the way i look at is that the media plays a big role for over emphasizing blackberry's negativity,i personally will not go to android and especially to ios
    12-18-11 03:45 PM
    Guys, not to go all backseat mod on y'all, but can we leave out the personal insults please? I really don't want to see this thread locked.
    12-18-11 03:51 PM
    I believe security is something we should at least think about. As smart phones become more powerful, people are doing personal banking and other private matters on their phones. Certain people who know this are becoming more adept at stealing this type of information. It shouldn't be the only selling point, but should be an important one.
    12-18-11 03:54 PM
    Okay, all getting upset at people we've never and will never meet aside

Two things that are better on Blackberry vs other platforms-
    Security and battery life (both could be non-issues)

And if you just like BB better than other platforms

I suggest spending a few weeks with a new platform and see if you like it. If you don't, then use the buyers remorse and go back to BB. But if you're seriously considering trying another platform, give it an honest check out. Some people try Android with a negative attitude towards it and their proved right. Some go with an open mind and they love it and stick with it or they don't and go back to BB.
    12-18-11 05:19 PM
    Yah, I'm security crazy. Could be because I live it at work and it carries it into my personal life. Could also be that as I get older I become more interested in keeping my personal information intact....which is the reason I do my banking on my BBerries.

Yes, I can put an Android password lock on my Atrix and I can put a password lock on my media card. But I was informed when I bought the device that I had to have a gmail account. Some helpful folks here have told me that wasn't necessary but hey.....I followed the customer rep's instructions. It just happens that each time I use my Atrix for any length of time I find myself getting spammed....latest was a spear phishing incident where I was asked to put in my phone number in a site to be able to win an iPad. That did not come through to my phones that don't have the associated gmail account, it came through as a direct broadcast to my Atrix. By the way, after several days of just ignoring the little green star after I'd opened it the first time I did put down a phone number - the one to the FCC.

My browsing habits are exactly the same on all my phones. Yet when I use my Atrix I get spammed. Would have to be an enormous coincidence or it would have to be something related to the platform itself or related to gmail.

So....for the third time, I've put the Atrix away. I will wait a bit of time until I bring it out again. I love the device, but I don't love the way in which each time I use it I get spammed or there is a spear phishing incident.

And no, I don't frequent questionable sites. I have no use for them.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 12-19-11 at 03:28 AM.
    newcollector likes this.
    12-19-11 03:24 AM
428 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD