The whole push email argument is dead. You can get push email from all services on a Droid just like the BB. It works just a well and just as fast. I have 3 accounts setup this way, including a business Exchange server account that was BES 2 months ago. People need to just quit arguing that BB is the only way to go as far as email, calendar and contact synchronization is concerned.

Now, when it comes to tasks and notes, BB is the only platform that syncs properly if you have BES. You can use Touchdown for Android and it works well, but not like the BB solution. If you don't use these much, you won't miss them on Android. I converted to Evernote and never looked back myself.

I think this whole thread can be summed up in that you should try them and decide what you like. It is preference. As far as basic functionality, they both do the basics well. There are other items that each might do better.

The fanboy arguments and hateful exchanges is way, way old. Most of you are totally biased your direction and need to grow up.
    06-21-11 09:19 PM
    I luv my BB Torch and have been a BB user for 5 years and luv the platform. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with what some of the newer Android pones are capable of from tech, media, and apps.

Some Android phones are to the point where they will soon rival current tablets in tech specs, its crazy.

But I will say I have yet to meet a single Android user that likes their battery life or likes constant software updates. These might be nitpicking flaws, but really, carrying a second battery around?

For me, I like the practicality of a BB in its simplicity, it does everything I NEED it to do really well. But, I cannot run flash sites on a 3''-4'' screen, I don't have farting apps, no Angry Birds (kewl game BTW), no rooting with wifi hotspot features, slower browsing, etc.

Some of those features are nice, others don't matter. The WiFi hotspot workaround is great on Android phones. Although, I use the Tether app on my laptop and Bridge on my Playbook, so I still tether for free on my BB too, but Android does it better.
    06-21-11 09:29 PM
    Hummm android vs blackberry.............look inside weedhopper and you will know.
    06-21-11 09:34 PM
    Guys, let's cool down.. Androids and Blackberries are like chalk and cheese, BlackBerry is a platform that focuses on security aspects of communications and android is for social networking, browsing and stuff (not that you cannot do those on your blackberry). It's like people buy a sports car and an SUV, now anyone in their right minds wont expect his sports car to perform like an SUV or the other way around. Same ways, people should understand that a BlackBerry is different from other platforms, and these devices suit people based on their needs.
    06-22-11 12:51 AM
    I luv my BB Torch and have been a BB user for 5 years and luv the platform. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with what some of the newer Android pones are capable of from tech, media, and apps.

Some Android phones are to the point where they will soon rival current tablets in tech specs, its crazy.

But I will say I have yet to meet a single Android user that likes their battery life or likes constant software updates. These might be nitpicking flaws, but really, carrying a second battery around?

For me, I like the practicality of a BB in its simplicity, it does everything I NEED it to do really well. But, I cannot run flash sites on a 3''-4'' screen, I don't have farting apps, no Angry Birds (kewl game BTW), no rooting with wifi hotspot features, slower browsing, etc.

Some of those features are nice, others don't matter. The WiFi hotspot workaround is great on Android phones. Although, I use the Tether app on my laptop and Bridge on my Playbook, so I still tether for free on my BB too, but Android does it better.
    I will say that battery life is a mixed bag. The Droid Incredible 2 that I have it great on battery life. I would say it is slightly better than my Storm2. I get two days use out of it, and I am a heavy data user with moderate phone use. I think you have to be more careful in choosing an Android phone in terms of battery life.

As far simplicity, Android is more complex to get "like you like it". I find iOS actually the easiest, and BB a close second. Setting up email accounts on a BB is harder than iOS to me. The rest of the setup is actually easier. I do miss some of the simplicity and convenience. No phone gives you more universal access to contact than a BB to me. I miss that part.
    06-22-11 03:57 AM
    Black berry Spells class and attitude.........not all use a Black berry.

Any ***** who has extra money can use Android....You can buy a phone not class you *****
    06-22-11 05:58 AM
    Black berry Spells class and attitude.........not all use a Black berry.

Any ***** who has extra money can use Android....You can buy a phone not class you *****
    Wow with all those ****** (inserted by myself) in your post THAT makes you look really classless.
    06-22-11 06:09 AM
    I think the biggest issue I see when someone switches to Android from BlackBerry is thinking of the Android device like a BlackBerry. You have to go at it with an open mind and a different mindset.

On BlackBerry, everything is pretty much integrated into the operating system. Email, BBM, links between PIM and other apps, spell check... It is pretty simple.

On Android, everything is a separate application. Even the launchers that you first see on an Android (TouchWiz, Sense, MotoBlur...) is an application. The bad thing about it is that not every application links to the other (like you would see on a BlackBerry). The good thing is that there are always other applications available, so you can tweak an Android device to suit your needs.

The shortest option I could find in the Droid X for email reconciliation is 15 minutes. Also deleting email for a yahoo account on the handheld did not delete the email off the server. I have several yahoo accounts and when I set up the account on the phone, the icons were called Yahoo1 Yahoo2 Yahoo3 etc. I had no idea what Yahoo icon was for which email address. I could not rename the icons.
    This is a perfect example. Yahoo's mail app sucks. Heck, even the native Email app is not the best. BUT, there are other options out there. MailDroid, K-9 Mail, Touchdown. I use K-9 Mail. With K-9 Mail, you can have it sync email every minute if you want. I have a Yahoo Mail account set up in K-9 Mail and when I delete messages from within K-9, they are deleted online as well.

Blackberry allows you to customize the different profiles such as Loud, Normal, Phone calls only, silent, etc. Customization was not that detailed on the Droid X, so that was a disappointment.
    BlackBerry comes with profiles integrated into the OS. On Android, it is just another app. There are several apps you can use to change profiles. I use QuickProfiles, which will let me set volumes, sounds, screen brightness, turn wifi and bluetooth on and off, and several other settings. I have profiles for Daytime, Meetings, Sleep, Desk, Movie, and Driving.

The Facebook app and Twitdroyd did not seem work as smoothly as UberSocial for Blackberry and Facebook for Blackberry.
    I do miss SocialScope from my BB. For the most part, I now use TweetDeck, since it integrates Facebook and Twitter (as well as FourSquare) into one interface. What I don't like about the Facebook app (for BB or Android) is no Page integration. That is something where SocialScope really shined.

My Storm 2 allows me to set up a unique ringtone for email from my favorite contacts � the Droid X did not allow this.
    Not as important to me, but there are apps for customizing notification tones.

My status indicator turns to red whenever I receive a new email, irregardless of what profile I have activated. I could not repeat this on the Droid X. Also I have heard that the Samsung phones lack a status indicator.
    I'm not sure about the Droid X, but I do have a Samsung SGS. It does not have a status LED, but there are apps which do notifications. NoLED can actually do quite a bit., You can set up different color dots on the screen for different email accounts, google talk, sms, calendar, and so on. All my personal email accounts display notifications in different shades of blue, work accounts in purple, sms in yellow, and so on. When I get a notification, I can just look at the screen and see if it is important (red dots), or something I can wait on later.

There is even an application that will blink your soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (might have to be rooted).

I could not find a Droid equivalent for backing up Memo Pad from MS Outlook.
    I haven't found on either, but there are several note apps that work via cloud. EverNote, Catch Notes, SpringPad. Many of them have desktop options, as well as viewable via web, so (for me) it is much more accessible than Outlook memos.

I use BB desktop manager and Blackberry Master control program for backing up all my content. I asked current users and Verizon reps what is out there to back up my phone in the event I had to replace the phone I could import everything to restore the phone as I last had it. I am still waiting for an answer.
    Titanium Backup will backup all your applications and settings to SD card. My Backup Pro will also do this. You can backup the data files created by either application to PC. The nice thing is that once you install the application back onto your device, it can restore everything else without ever having to connect it to a computer. Plus, since all of your apps are part of your Google account, you can log back into the Marketplace and install everything fresh.

I think one of Android biggest flaws is also its biggest asset. It is tweakable. You can configure the device to pretty much do whatever you want it to do. Screens can be changed, launchers can be switched, widgets galore. In my experience, it means that you have to tweak everything. Right out of the box, it may not have everything set up the way you want. That is where BlackBerry can shine, since there is pretty much just one email app, built in unified inbox, and everything linked. There is pretty much one way to do things on BlackBerry, so you teach yourself to do it the BlackBerry way.

With Android, you pretty much have to tweak. Add apps to do what you want it do, check out different apps to see which works best (like choosing an email client), and setting up your home screens. It can take a little time to get an Android device set up the way you want it. You can even change keyboards and find the one that is easiest for you to use. Tweak, tweak, tweak..... The benefit is the added capabilities. VOIP, video chat, better streaming video, Flash capabilities, faster boot times, better web browsing, more application choices.

What it comes down to is what you like best. I like BlackBerry. I like Android. I carry both. They both have different approaches to their systems. You just can't look at an Android device and think of it like a BlackBerry (and vice-versa).
    K Bear likes this.
    06-22-11 08:05 AM
    And how much does all of this cost to get the same functionality on a droid that comes stock at no extra cost on a bb? Or are all of them free?
    06-22-11 08:28 AM
    I think the biggest issue I see when someone switches to Android from BlackBerry is thinking of the Android device like a BlackBerry. You have to go at it with an open mind and a different mindset.

On BlackBerry, everything is pretty much integrated into the operating system. Email, BBM, links between PIM and other apps, spell check... It is pretty simple.

On Android, everything is a separate application. Even the launchers that you first see on an Android (TouchWiz, Sense, MotoBlur...) is an application. The bad thing about it is that not every application links to the other (like you would see on a BlackBerry). The good thing is that there are always other applications available, so you can tweak an Android device to suit your needs.

This is a perfect example. Yahoo's mail app sucks. Heck, even the native Email app is not the best. BUT, there are other options out there. MailDroid, K-9 Mail, Touchdown. I use K-9 Mail. With K-9 Mail, you can have it sync email every minute if you want. I have a Yahoo Mail account set up in K-9 Mail and when I delete messages from within K-9, they are deleted online as well.

BlackBerry comes with profiles integrated into the OS. On Android, it is just another app. There are several apps you can use to change profiles. I use QuickProfiles, which will let me set volumes, sounds, screen brightness, turn wifi and bluetooth on and off, and several other settings. I have profiles for Daytime, Meetings, Sleep, Desk, Movie, and Driving.

I do miss SocialScope from my BB. For the most part, I now use TweetDeck, since it integrates Facebook and Twitter (as well as FourSquare) into one interface. What I don't like about the Facebook app (for BB or Android) is no Page integration. That is something where SocialScope really shined.

Not as important to me, but there are apps for customizing notification tones.

I'm not sure about the Droid X, but I do have a Samsung SGS. It does not have a status LED, but there are apps which do notifications. NoLED can actually do quite a bit., You can set up different color dots on the screen for different email accounts, google talk, sms, calendar, and so on. All my personal email accounts display notifications in different shades of blue, work accounts in purple, sms in yellow, and so on. When I get a notification, I can just look at the screen and see if it is important (red dots), or something I can wait on later.

There is even an application that will blink your soft buttons on the bottom of the screen (might have to be rooted).

I haven't found on either, but there are several note apps that work via cloud. EverNote, Catch Notes, SpringPad. Many of them have desktop options, as well as viewable via web, so (for me) it is much more accessible than Outlook memos.

Titanium Backup will backup all your applications and settings to SD card. My Backup Pro will also do this. You can backup the data files created by either application to PC. The nice thing is that once you install the application back onto your device, it can restore everything else without ever having to connect it to a computer. Plus, since all of your apps are part of your Google account, you can log back into the Marketplace and install everything fresh.

I think one of Android biggest flaws is also its biggest asset. It is tweakable. You can configure the device to pretty much do whatever you want it to do. Screens can be changed, launchers can be switched, widgets galore. In my experience, it means that you have to tweak everything. Right out of the box, it may not have everything set up the way you want. That is where BlackBerry can shine, since there is pretty much just one email app, built in unified inbox, and everything linked. There is pretty much one way to do things on BlackBerry, so you teach yourself to do it the BlackBerry way.

With Android, you pretty much have to tweak. Add apps to do what you want it do, check out different apps to see which works best (like choosing an email client), and setting up your home screens. It can take a little time to get an Android device set up the way you want it. You can even change keyboards and find the one that is easiest for you to use. Tweak, tweak, tweak..... The benefit is the added capabilities. VOIP, video chat, better streaming video, Flash capabilities, faster boot times, better web browsing, more application choices.

What it comes down to is what you like best. I like BlackBerry. I like Android. I carry both. They both have different approaches to their systems. You just can't look at an Android device and think of it like a BlackBerry (and vice-versa).
    Wow, you sound like someone that trully understands both, and if one has to carry 2 devices it would be stupid to carry 2 blackberrys lol.

One thing, BBOS6 now has a native app called social feeds that integrates all social networks, all IM clients and RSS feeds into one app. You can post status updates to all of them in one go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 08:31 AM
    Wow, you sound like someone that trully understands both, and if one has to carry 2 devices it would be stupid to carry 2 blackberrys lol.
    Not really. I carry two blackberrys, one for work and one for personal use. What I wouldn't do is also carry a Playbook (I use an iPad instead).
    06-22-11 09:11 AM
    Not really. I carry two blackberrys, one for work and one for personal use. What I wouldn't do is also carry a Playbook (I use an iPad instead).
    That's different, I assume the work blackberry is not actually yours? Playbook or ipad, it's all the same and I think that's the future, as tablets get more popular and more people will carry them, phones will get dumber again, or let's just say they'll stop advancing so fast.

06-22-11 09:31 AM
    I found Android to be far too unstable. Constant reboots on its own and tracking the problem is impossible. This is happening on many different devices but is rarely discussed. If I had to move from BB it would be to Windows.
    06-22-11 09:32 AM
    And how much does all of this cost to get the same functionality on a droid that comes stock at no extra cost on a bb? Or are all of them free?
    Most of those apps are free: Tweetdeck, K-9,(comes in the paid and free version-I used the free version) No-led, Simple sound widget, etc...

Also of you have a device that comes with a luncher: Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur and LG's (forgot the name) integrates a lot of the basic interactive functions. That is why for a lot of android devices are bought by regular consumers have launchers since it pretty much allow them to use the device as is.

But of course for a hardcore user such as myself, I want more control over my device so the first thing I did is to install a custom rom. Pretty much the same reason as to why I use hybrid OS's when I used my BB.
    06-22-11 10:16 AM
    I am sure you are right about the battery life. However the email capabilities of an Android phone are excellent if you are a gmail user and buy into the google way of doing email.
    Which I didn't. I don't like email. I don't trust Gmail or Google.

I'd never had a phishing scam and during the time I had a gmail account I had two incidents. Maybe a coincidence. In a million years of email it had never happened.

Hasn't happened again since I closed my gmail account after getting rid of my Atrix.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-22-11 at 10:44 AM.
    06-22-11 10:22 AM
    Most of those apps are free: Tweetdeck, K-9,(comes in the paid and free version-I used the free version) No-led, Simple sound widget, etc...

Also of you have a device that comes with a luncher: Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur and LG's (forgot the name) integrates a lot of the basic interactive functions. That is why for a lot of android devices are bought by regular consumers have launchers since it pretty much allow them to use the device as is.

But of course for a hardcore user such as myself, I want more control over my device so the first thing I did is to install a custom rom. Pretty much the same reason as to why I use hybrid OS's when I used my BB.
    Do apps like K9 or profile/led light apps etc have to be open in the background to work or do they integrate completely in the OS?

06-22-11 10:35 AM
    Do apps like K9 or profile/led light apps etc have to be open in the background to work or do they integrate completely in the OS?

These apps are cached in the background. But android always have a portion of an app running in the background, much like a guard dog is asleep with one ear perked up. I always describe it as how the BB OS has always has to have 5 apps that are always running in the background (Browser, Mail, BMM, SMS, Telephone).
    06-22-11 11:05 AM
    That's different, I assume the work blackberry is not actually yours? Playbook or ipad, it's all the same and I think that's the future, as tablets get more popular and more people will carry them, phones will get dumber again, or let's just say they'll stop advancing so fast.

True, the work BB is not mine.

I don't think Playbook or iPad are the same. A keyboard equipped BB is an excellent messaging device and also a decent phone. As an application platform is sadly lacking. An iPad provides an excellent complement for a BB because it is strong in areas where a BB is weak (including providing non-BIS access to email). A Playbook still ties you to BIS and a crappy app catalog.
    06-22-11 11:15 AM
    True, the work BB is not mine.

I don't think Playbook or iPad are the same. A keyboard equipped BB is an excellent messaging device and also a decent phone. As an application platform is sadly lacking. An iPad provides an excellent complement for a BB because it is strong in areas where a BB is weak (including providing non-BIS access to email). A Playbook still ties you to BIS and a crappy app catalog.
    Well, I meant tablets in general, if you would have one with you all the time you wouldn't need such a smart phone anymore.

Apps, I've done the apps thing, probably spent a small fortune for nothing, look at my appworld. Messaging and good quality calls is what I need.
    06-22-11 11:28 AM
    One consistent flaw I have noticed in everyone I know that uses an Android is its weak battery life. I even know people that carry an additional spare battery!!! WTF?

Some of the Bold and Curve models have simply the best QWERTY Keyboards ever to grace smartphones, IMHO.

Well I definitely agree with you about the QWERTY keyboards, as the only problem I've ever had with my Blackberry is the trackball getting dirty and needing to be cleaned, which is easily done with an alcohol swab. The only other problem or issue have noticed is that one or two certain keys will have a difficult time being pressed. On my Blackberry Bold 9000 it is the letter B. on my other phone it was also a key around the space-bar, maybe it's because I use the exclamation point quite a lot in my text messages!!! Ha!

But as far as battery life, in the recent Consumer Reports article, the Inspire (Android) was rated the highest for battery life. If I'm talking on the phone and I have my WiFi on and using a Bluetooth, the battery life of my Bold 9000 just drains to the point where I may get two and half hours without having to recharge. The reviews from CR state that the Inspire 4G can give you a day and half without needing to recharge. I know my girlfriends 9700 and my father's Torch completely outperform the older version of my Bold, but if you look at the reviews of the Inspire 4G on CNet, it has a huge battery even with the capabilities of recording in High Def, and performing multiple tasks.

I cannot speak from personal experience, just going on reviews from other websites. I know that if I'm going to be talking to somebody for more than an hour, I turn off the data and my wireless and any other applications that are not in use in order to maximize battery life, but this has always been a problem for my Blackberry. Maybe it's just the model.

But thanks for your input and I still think I will hold off until the 9900 or the 9930 are unveiled I have a chance to check them out. It looks like a great combination of still having the QWERTY pad but allowing you to use a touchscreen like the Torch or iPhone but not having to slide anything in and out. I was very impressed after googling the 9900 and going to the Blackberry website. I think they said the release date is August which is not too far away, so for right now I guess I will hold off.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-22-11 11:47 AM
    Well I definitely agree with you about the QWERTY keyboards, as the only problem I've ever had with my Blackberry is the trackball getting dirty and needing to be cleaned, which is easily done with an alcohol swab. The only other problem or issue have noticed is that one or two certain keys will have a difficult time being pressed. On my Blackberry Bold 9000 it is the letter B. on my other phone it was also a key around the space-bar, maybe it's because I use the exclamation point quite a lot in my text messages!!! Ha!

But as far as battery life, in the recent Consumer Reports article, the Inspire (Android) was rated the highest for battery life. If I'm talking on the phone and I have my WiFi on and using a Bluetooth, the battery life of my Bold 9000 just drains to the point where I may get two and half hours without having to recharge. The reviews from CR state that the Inspire 4G can give you a day and half without needing to recharge. I know my girlfriends 9700 and my father's Torch completely outperform the older version of my Bold, but if you look at the reviews of the Inspire 4G on CNet, it has a huge battery even with the capabilities of recording in High Def, and performing multiple tasks.

I cannot speak from personal experience, just going on reviews from other websites. I know that if I'm going to be talking to somebody for more than an hour, I turn off the data and my wireless and any other applications that are not in use in order to maximize battery life, but this has always been a problem for my Blackberry. Maybe it's just the model.

But thanks for your input and I still think I will hold off until the 9900 or the 9930 are unveiled I have a chance to check them out. It looks like a great combination of still having the QWERTY pad but allowing you to use a touchscreen like the Torch or iPhone but not having to slide anything in and out. I was very impressed after googling the 9900 and going to the Blackberry website. I think they said the release date is August which is not too far away, so for right now I guess I will hold off.
    The 9000 is quite an old device by now, are you still on the original battery? It's been around for 3.5 years.
    The 9700 and 9780 managed to last a lot longer with exactly the same battery.

06-22-11 12:05 PM
    The 9000 is quite an old device by now, are you still on the original battery? It's been around for 3.5 years.
    The 9700 and 9780 managed to last a lot longer with exactly the same battery.

Yes, same battery...probably the problem.
    06-22-11 06:56 PM
    Yes, same battery...probably the problem.
    I would say that is the problem. I switch to a new battery every 12 to 18 months. I could be wrong but I think a new battery would do you some good at minimal expense.
    06-22-11 07:10 PM

Thanks I didn't know. I'm pretty much a tweeker with my computer but not so much with my phone.
    06-22-11 07:29 PM
    Thanks I didn't know. I'm pretty much a tweeker with my computer but not so much with my phone.
    Np, as for myself I never tweeted using my computer, I always seem to reach for my phone when I get a tweeter message.

"Be as smart as you can, but remember that it is always better to be wise than to be smart. Alan Alda"
    06-22-11 08:07 PM
428 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD