I see a lot of what I guess I'd refer to as BB fanboys on this site and I suppose that's to be expected. I've owned 4 berries myself and recently came back to blackberry with the 9800 from the HTC Desire so I'm familiar with the pros and cons of both devices.

Hardware wise, the HTC runs circles around the 9800. 1Ghz processor, more RAM, nicer screen, etc etc etc. Also being open source you can choose from a myriad of custom roms and customize the OS to how you like it. The HTC is only limited by your imagination. It is a much better multi media machine and has a much wider variety of applications.

The only real cons are the dreadful battery life ( that hardware and screen eat battery life) and the lack of a physical keyboard was hard to live with.

The 9800 has much better battery life and I just am addicted to BBM. As a messaging device the Berries are just hard to top. I do miss the speed of the Android phone but I picked the Berry only for BBM and it's keyboard.

Whenever I see posts slagging Android, it's obvious they've never tried it. RIM ( like Apple) is **** bent on stifling any sort of customization. Why can't I gain root access to my BB and make it the way I like it? It's my phone and if I'd like to alter it, I think I should be able to.
    05-12-11 08:43 AM
    05-12-11 09:25 AM
    Have you tried any Hybrid OSes? This is a good way to customize a BlackBerry.
    05-12-11 09:28 AM
    Why can't I gain root access to my BB and make it the way I like it? It's my phone and if I'd like to alter it, I think I should be able to.
    It has to do with the security of the BB OS. u can customize ur phone however you want but u cant change the OS, unless you use a hybris OS.
    05-12-11 09:41 AM
    That's your justification for choosing BB? FISMA certification!!! Ignore such piddling features like speed, hardware, media playback, app markets etc etc. It sounds like you drank the kool aid

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-11 12:27 PM
    That's your justification for choosing BB? FISMA certification!!! Ignore such piddling features like speed, hardware, media playback, app markets etc etc. It sounds like you drank the kool aid

Uh...not everyone uses their device as a plaything. Didn't you see that she said she tried nearly all the other platforms before she made her decision?
    05-12-11 12:45 PM
    can someone shed some light on the HTC G2?

It has a QWERTY which is what BB users love..looks like a solid device with solid specs...

thinking about picking one up
    The G2/HTC Desire Z

I want one of these to replace my Curve 3G so i have been doing a little bit of research. They are very decent phones but have a very weird hinge. The keyboard is pretty good tho. However you will NOT be using the physical board with one had like you can on a BB. Also, they run stock-vanilla Android, which most users find preferable.
    05-12-11 01:20 PM

Ooooo, a frisky one!!! Cool....

FISMA = important for secure environments, which is where I use my 9650.

Speed = very happy with the speed on my Torch. Bit disappointed that my Atrix has become somewhat laggy.

Hardware = generally go to Lowes or Home Depot.

Media playback = don't play music on my COMMUNICATION device. God created iPods for music playback. I do, however, watch YouTube videos on my Atrix.

App Market = AppWorld has banking apps for my banking, I have Google Maps, MeterBerry, BeBuzz, CNN, Capture It!, Weatherbug, Poynt, and assorted other apps. I could not find a DC Circulator app like the one I had on my iPhone when I looked in either AppWorld or Android Market. Oh, yeah, I also could not find a screen capture app in Android Market for my Atrix or something similar to BeBuzz that didn't require collection of credit card info.

I have drunk Kool-Aid but I prefer Guiness. These days, however, I go for Sobe Life Water because I think it will one day get me to dance Thriller like Naomi Campbell.
    05-12-11 01:36 PM
    I merged the 2 threads!
    05-12-11 01:48 PM
    More baiting = drank the Kool-Aid!

05-12-11 01:58 PM
    Different platforms work for different people! I tend to ignore these this vs that threads, unless summoned.
    05-12-11 02:41 PM
    O thou great arbitrer....we shall summon thee if the need doth arise!!! :-D

05-12-11 03:13 PM
    Different platforms work for different people! I tend to ignore these this vs that threads, unless summoned.
    Slurs against BlackBerry users do not belong on Crackberry! This is going beyond comparing platforms! Sorry Rich, but I feel those type of remarks should be edited out.

05-12-11 05:38 PM
    I saw it more of a joke than a slur! Lets not get carried away here folks! I don't think the "troll crackdown" applies here. I think we just got passionate people arguing in support of, or against the BB & Android platforms.

HOWEVER if I have to I can take a closer look delete a bunch of posts and lock down the thread. Or we can just agree to disagree respectfully, and an honest debate can continue.

Which do you guys choose?
    05-12-11 07:29 PM
    i choose a honest debate ..
    Let me start myself

1.) Hardware ( Processor ) - Blackberries are rubbish hardware wise, but recently we have seen a single core 1.2Ghz deviceS, with 768 ram, duhh thats too small we have the -Samsung Galaxy II with a dual core Exynos 1.2Ghz processor with 1GB ram what is the touch,torch2,bold touch saying ?
    2.) Hardware ( Display ) - well display matters a lot, we have seen devices with the SAMOLED+ Galaxy S II, Droid Charge which is far better than the garbagge of LCD in blackberries
    3.) Hardware ( Cameras ) - 5MP for blackberries? and 720p well we have 8MP with 1080p recording and playback
    4.) Keyboard Well though we have some andrioid phones with good keyboards the blackberry is clearly the winner here
    5.) Keyboard (virtual ) the virtual keyboard in BB's is = Rubbish the ones in andrioid is far superior and then the swype for those that use it
    6.) Software - OS well it depends on the person so not comment here,but the BB OS SUCKS 5,6,7 SUCKS but the OS 8 would change that am sure
    7.) Apps - ELephant to ant, the Appworld is beyond a diaster, while that of andrioid would overtake iOS app store by August, BB OS was there before WP7 but wp7 is ahead now, -this is a shame
    8.) gaming- well i dont play games on my bb because they are rubbish, and a bad experience really i do play games on my iPod touch 4G especially Angry Birds
    9.) Exclusives - the reason am using BB is because of BBM only, the OS sucks am just managing because of the BBM when me and my friend don use BB anymore am going to go get a Pre
    10.) Securtiy - BB OS is very secure if not better than andrioid

TO be honest i try seeing places BB OS excel i couldnt really see any, Email? still no activeSync support
    AbuYazeedUK and LeanNSupreme like this.
    05-12-11 08:54 PM
    can someone shed some light on the HTC G2?

It has a QWERTY which is what BB users love..looks like a solid device with solid specs...

thinking about picking one up
    Overall, I have heard good things. Research the Z-hinge though.
    05-12-11 10:01 PM
    I've never understood the popularity of playing games on phones. I want to make calls, text, email and find info on the internet. I don't want to spend my time playing games that take me away from the world around me. I would rather watch people than throwing birds across a screen, but to each his own. My blackberry is perfect for what I want my phone to do. I'm not trying to diss on anyone, this is just my opinion.
    05-13-11 10:06 AM
    I switched from a Bold 9000 to a Samsung Captivate about 10 months ago. Initially I loved the Captivate. It is a great phone and Android has tons of bells and whistles.

However, the more and more I've actually had to do WORK on my phone, the less and less I've liked my Captivate. Admittedly, a lot of that is personal preference. I much prefer BB mail to the Gmail app and I prefer having the physical keyboard to Swype or any other touchscreen options available through Android. Also, I have had a lot of issues with my phone getting glitchy and having to reboot which I rarely if ever had on any of my BB's. Plus battery time is awful on my phone. On a heavy use day I need to plug it in around 6pm which I find absolutely ridiculous.

The games are nice but I could live without them. The work aspect, however, is essential. My next phone will surely be a BB. Yes I will be giving up some stuff I like on my Android but it's all about give and take with any device.
    05-16-11 11:12 AM
    [QUOTE=Marine One;4908301]I could just as easily say why did I switch to android after YEARS of using Blackberries..

because android is better, that's why.

just because you went back doesn't mean it's better and the fact of the matter is that for every five people that switch to android from bb four will be glad they did.

for you to even claim BB is on par with android is disingenuous at best, misleading at worst.

android is competing with the big boys...the nexus one even beat the mighty iphone on cnet's prizefight. What has any bb done lately to set itself apart from all other mobile devices? nothing. it' an archaic software platform with an archaic infrastructure that keeps failing and causing outages.

Have the BB 9700 Bold for almost a year - not a single failure or outage. Might want to check your equipment.
    05-19-11 06:27 PM
    He's passing himself off as military and thinks he's an authority figure on here. BB owners band together and are not swayed by the blow-hard Androiders. lol
    05-19-11 06:30 PM
    No issue with your post. Just really don't care.
    No issues here with the BB after a year long nightmare with the Android system. If "Andy" works for you, I'm thrilled.
    The BB 9700 is the best phone, bar none, that I've ever had and I've experienced none of the negatives that are mentioned in this post.
    BB rules!
    05-19-11 06:34 PM
    So can anyone tell me what the advantages to Android are? I've heard the whole better processors and everything, but what is it about the OS that makes it better?
    05-19-11 06:51 PM
    I wonder how all the Android users are feeling now with the compromise to their phone security?? I know if I had one I would be a wigged out.

Oh and Xterra2 BBs are only on OS6 there likely won't be any OS 7 or 8 so not sure how you think OS 7 can suck when it's not released After this final OS 6 on the 9900 the next phones will most likely be QNX.
    05-19-11 06:56 PM
    I wonder how all the Android users are feeling now with the compromise to their phone security?? I know if I had one I would be a wigged out.

Oh and Xterra2 BBs are only on OS6 there likely won't be any OS 7 or 8 so not sure how you think OS 7 can suck when it's not released After this final OS 6 on the 9900 the next phones will most likely be QNX.
    I don't quite understand. First off, the 9900 runs OS 7, so I don't know what you mean there. We basically know everything that OS 7 does from faster web browser down to a little more customization. So basically if you think OS 6 is bad, you won't like OS 7 any better. But yes, the next BB's will most likely be QNX.
    05-19-11 09:12 PM
    chiming in on the two sides of the coin:

I have only had two BBs and only in the last 6 months. BOTH of them have been headaches for me. The Bold had a constantly-failing trackball failures and bad battery life. I am on my second 9300 and again having trackpad failure. Thats on top of the fact that the 85xx/93xx Curve is simply SLOW...no two ways about it.

But in the defense of the other side, I have some friends (and some of you guys) who have had ZERO BB problems. But far more that have had problems. In essence i would say that BBs are very hit or miss (like any other electronic if you ask me) but they are also very fragile in my experience.

Finally, it is said alot that a phone is a VERY personal choice. There are some who will find the pluses of their chosen device outweigh the shortcomings. And some will not....It changes between every person
    05-19-11 09:57 PM
428 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD