If you like more on multimedia then go with the Android. If you love being online wherever you are and need more battery life, stick with the BlackBerry.

I'm an ex-iPhone user. Now I use BlackBerry.
    05-10-11 02:00 AM
    WOW

I was thinking of getting the new Bold 9900 (my last few phones and current phone ahave been Androids but maybe not now ive read a few pages.

i always assumed (maybe wrongly) that the BB service (internet) was rock solid but after reading the first few pages of this thread it seems not.

is this correct that the BB isnt as reliable as i may have thought ??
    05-10-11 05:47 AM
    The system sometimes goes down, however, it's not a frequent event.
    I've used BBerries on BIS for several years now. I prefer BIS over anything else.
    05-10-11 07:29 AM
    I think gmail is the best free email service available. What don't you like about it?
    First off, I distrust it. I don't trust Google generally, and unfortunately they've become a giant.

Secondly, I don't like the way the mail comes in, threaded by sender.
    05-10-11 07:33 AM
    The system sometimes goes down, however, it's not a frequent event.
    I've used BBerries on BIS for several years now. I prefer BIS over anything else.
    Haven't had an outtage in over two years and that was because of somebody cutting trough a fiber optic cable and everybody was affected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 07:36 AM
    I think BIS is fairly reliable.

With regards to email, I have used Google products FOREVER. Even with BB, I ran my emails (all powered by Google, even work) through BIS. Removing the middleman wasn't really a sacrifice.

Qbnkelt, threaded emails was something I DISLIKED immensely... I feel ya there. That was one reason I used K9... but I am used to it now. It took me a while to get used to it, but apparently, I was in the minority.
    05-10-11 08:28 AM
    Yes, people seem to love it. I want to create my own folders if I want them separated that way.
    Say you have a conversation going with several parties....the email would be threaded by sender, so you'd have to hunt down who said what in order to answer someone's point, and if that person has sent you several emails over the course of one day the message would be buried under his name. It gave me a headache...

This was one of the reasons I said, many moons ago, that I didn't like the way email is managed on an Android. I should have said the way email is handled in GMail, so I wasn't clear.

I prefer to have conversations threaded by subject.
    05-10-11 10:06 AM
    Yes, people seem to love it. I want to create my own folders if I want them separated that way.
    Say you have a conversation going with several parties....the email would be threaded by sender, so you'd have to hunt down who said what in order to answer someone's point, and if that person has sent you several emails over the course of one day the message would be buried under his name. It gave me a headache...

This was one of the reasons I said, many moons ago, that I didn't like the way email is managed on an Android. I should have said the way email is handled in GMail, so I wasn't clear.

I prefer to have conversations threaded by subject.
    Gmail does not come through as threaded on my iMac or iPad and only comes through as threaded on my BB 9700 if I veiw via the rather buggy Gmail plugin. The main message view is not threaded either.
    05-10-11 02:21 PM
    I wish I could add to this discussion but my Torch being my first bb and I think it RULES!!! my last cell was an HTC Diamond Touch so never owned these new Androids phones. I have no hate for any type phone so buy what you want and enjoy it.
    05-10-11 03:14 PM
    can someone wh a 'droid' answer these questions

1- is there a limit to sending and receiving emails on your droid device?
    2- how easy is it to share a video taken wh your device with someone else?
    3- how is the media player?

anyone have the droid pro?
    05-10-11 03:16 PM
    Gmail does not come through as threaded on my iMac or iPad and only comes through as threaded on my BB 9700 if I veiw via the rather buggy Gmail plugin. The main message view is not threaded either.
    I didn't know that.

They don't get grouped by conversation? Yours are grouped by time of receipt?
    05-10-11 03:18 PM
    It comes threaded on my Atrix. By sender.
    I don't use it on my desktop, I go to hotmail.
    05-10-11 03:31 PM
    can someone wh a 'droid' answer these questions

1- is there a limit to sending and receiving emails on your droid device?
    2- how easy is it to share a video taken wh your device with someone else?
    3- how is the media player?

anyone have the droid pro?
    1. None. No truncated emails.
    2. Ridiculously easy.
    3. Phenomenal.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-10-11 03:35 PM
    I am waiting to see what other qwerty candy bar phones come out for the android platform. I may jump ship, EVENTUALLY. Always nice to try something new .

Hopefully a Droid Pro 2 will come out that's better than the first. I am also hoping that more companies jump on the bandwagon with these form factors.
    05-10-11 03:49 PM
    1. None. No truncated emails.
    2. Ridiculously easy.
    3. Phenomenal.
    my sister in-law has one...going to fiddle around wh it over the next few days

I am waiting to see what other qwerty candy bar phones come out for the android platform. I may jump ship, EVENTUALLY. Always nice to try something new .

Hopefully a Droid Pro 2 will come out that's better than the first. I am also hoping that more companies jump on the bandwagon with these form factors.
    If the DP2 comes out for ATT I may jump ship too....i wonder why they havent came out wh one yet?
    I for one, am a BB user BECAUSE of the QWERTY keyboard... i hate touch screen phones, but love the large displays
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-10-11 04:18 PM
    I don't use it on my desktop, I go to hotmail.

Goodness, I was just messing with my Gmail settings and discovered a "new" setting. You can toggle "Conversation View" to thread messages or let them appear singly in order of receipt.

I checked out Google's blog, and this had been introduced in September! I feel foolish.

So, for folks like me that cut their teeth with Hotmail and Outlook Express, this makes my email feel more natural to me. The kicker is that the changes do not reflect on your Android device (seriously?).

Anyhoo, thought I'd share, since I was whining about it just today.
    05-10-11 06:59 PM
    Each has its charms. I hate the running aplication managment on android. That's why I gave up on it. I do like the screen estate and actually prefer touch screen keyboard, its a lot faster to use... But something about blackberry bold and its charm I like! So I will get bold touch, just becuase it will be upgradable to QNX . That's what's trully will be the king. Android is good, but it doesent feel like "home" when using it. I tried making one my main phone but I keep going back to iphone or blackberry.

05-10-11 08:19 PM
    So I will get bold touch, just becuase it will be upgradable to QNX . That's what's trully will be the king.

Source? Id love if this were true but it sounds too good..
    05-10-11 11:54 PM
    Goodness, I was just messing with my Gmail settings and discovered a "new" setting. You can toggle "Conversation View" to thread messages or let them appear singly in order of receipt.

I checked out Google's blog, and this had been introduced in September! I feel foolish.

So, for folks like me that cut their teeth with Hotmail and Outlook Express, this makes my email feel more natural to me. The kicker is that the changes do not reflect on your Android device (seriously?).

Anyhoo, thought I'd share, since I was whining about it just today.
    Yeah, I wish it would. I would feel so much better.
    05-11-11 05:01 AM
    In terms of specs, gaming and multi-media capabilties andriod devices have an upper edge for now..
    However blackberries in terms of ease of use, email, messaging etc wins in my opinion.

It really depends on what your usage is for it. Are you looking for a mobile device that is great for mainly business/work/school use and that can still do multimedia or are you looking for a multimedia powerhouse phone?

Me personally i love my blackberry.. Its easy to use, does what i need it to do, reliable and quick.. I find andriod devices tend to take too long to just be able to do basic things. And yes ive use andriod devices before..

Again its all a persons perfrences.
    My advice, play around with both BB and andriod in store and see whats good for you.
    Totally agree. One thing, though, is that playing with it at the store may not be long enough. When I picked up my Atrix I was *sure* that I'd put my Torch away and I did, for a few days. Then reality slowly started to creep in and my love turned out to be a very strong infatuation. I returned to the Torch eventually, and kept the Atrix as a secondary device.
    05-11-11 05:05 AM
    I didn't know that.

They don't get grouped by conversation? Yours are grouped by time of receipt?
    Unless I use the gmail plugin, yes they are listed by time of receipt.
    05-11-11 08:32 AM
    That is because you are using the gmail app on Android. Does the Atrix have an EAS email client?
    05-11-11 08:34 AM
    my experience has been +/- 22 months iPhone, +/- 2.5 months Android, +/- 8 months with BB.

It all started in Jan 09 when some guy on my campus was selling his OG iPhone for $120. I couldnt believe it!! So i got this thing to replace my Treo 700p. and if you guys have ever owned OG iPhones, you know that the back of them can get tarnished in like a month. This one was just like that. I had it for about 2 months before it had a major and (according to Apple) unfixable firmware malfunction. I called in and they mistakenly (on their part) decided to send me a new device for free. That one over heated alot tho and they sent me yet another a few days later. I actually STILL have that device. Me and my iphone had a deep love-hate relationship for the next year. It was more love than hate tho. But, after a while i got tired of it and apple all together (i HATE using iTunes).

So, i decided to try something new and realized that i was way past due for an upgrade. I researched for many moons and decided to try out the Motorola Backflip. That was in like June/july 2010. For reference I cross shopped it with the Curve 8900, Curve 8520, and Aria. I decided on the Backflip because it was the cheapest and it had 3G. Honestly, I would have gotten the 8900 back then if it had 3G. Anyway, I had the Backflip for two days before i "flipped it back" to AT&T. It is the only phone i have ever had where every bad thing that was said in the reviews happened to me personally.

So I used my iPhone OG for a little while longer before I decided to get a "Real Android" and sprung for a Captivate ($199 at the time). But, after a while i had buyers remorse and found that i did not like TouchWiz and there were other issues that i will cover. So I took it back and got an iPhone 3GS. I lasted with the 3GS for about 2-3 months before I got tired of AutoCorrect and its determination to prove that it was smarter than me at ALL the wrong times. So i decided to spring for a Blackberry, with plans to sell my iPhone.

I researched for about a month trying to decide between the Bold 9700 and the Bold 9000. It came down to the fact that the 9700 was more expensive than the Bold by $100 and i liked the 9000 keyboard better. So my Bold 9000 arrived right around Thanksgiving 2010. My iPhone ended up with my grandmother (she pays my bill so i cant say no). She NEEDED to replace her Shine!!

Fast forward to March and my trackball gave up on me AGAIN and money was tight. I had a choice between paying $35 to get it fixed or getting a refurb Curve 3G for free with grandma's upgrade. I chose the latter. Alas, i pretty much hate the Curve. Yes, I like OS6 but this phone is not "smart" enough for me. It is SLOWER THAN MOLASSES, the web browser has a 15% success rate with opening pages (versus 85% "page too large to load" message), and it just feels plain cheap compared to every phone i have had since my Moto v325. (that includes an LG VX8500).

So, currently i am debating putting it up for sell on eBay and getting a Nexus One (there is still a possiblity that I will wait for the Bold 99xx). Also considering a Droid 2 Global if it is possible to use it in the US now.

Cliffs Notes/Pros and Cons:

OG iPhone: Great device, terrible phone.
    +Loved the screen
    +Web Browser was way ahead of its time
    +Music Interface was awesome
    +Easy to start using
    +Pretty good battery life at first...got way worse over time
    +ALLthe apps
    +EDGE loaded web pages plenty fast
    -iTunes
    -Bad reception
    -Very restrictive OS
    -No multitasking whatsoever (cant even listen to Pandora and do other things)
    -Stupid recessed headphone jack!!!! (cant use ALOT of headphones)
    -the very short charger cord it came with
    -Very easy to crack the screen

Moto Backflip: Awesome external Hardware surrounding terrible internals and even worse OS (Cupcake + MotoBlur = EpicFail)
    +Cool in concept
    +great keyboard
    +GREAT camera
    +Cool Social networking
    -[Cool in concept] bad in execution
    -Android 1.5 Cupcake was already outdated when the phone was released (The Moto Devour and Cliq XT, which were released around the same time had better specs and had Donut-1.6)
    -MotoBlur is very buggy
    -I was lucky to get 8 hours out of the battery
    -MotoBlur would overpopulate your addressbook if you synced twitter and facebook through the native apps (I used tweetcaster for those two days)
    -this was a SLOW phone....i mean SLOW

Captivate: Again, GREAT device but terrible phone and iPhone ripoff
    +Best display to grace my eyes, EVER
    +Swype was pretty cool
    +almost never lagged
    +there are ten different way to do any- and everything with Android
    +SkyFire was a great browser IMO but it crashed alot.
    +Better camera than even the backflop
    -TouchWiz is a total iPhone ripoff and looks very child-y in my eyes
    -poor reception
    -GPS issues (but EVERYone knows this)
    -Music player was quite as good as iPhone
    -no camera flash (both GSM versions lack this)

3GS: OG iPhone plus more goodies and minus Battery life - autocorrect made me want to kill myself. This is the phone that made me (now temporarily) swear off virtual keyboards

9000: Good at messaging, bad at everything else
    +Best keyboard that any mobile device can ever hope to have
    +Email stuff is great
    +Ok battery life (but i did get a used model)
    -everything else about the phone

9300: Quite Possibly my least favorite of every phone that I have ever owned
    +OS6
    +Fantastic battery life
    +pretty decent keyboard
    -everything else

Operating Systems:

iOS: App and multimedia powerhouse. It has ok battery life and all. I dont like that i cant have a physical keyboard even if I want. I still think that Apple should have 2-3 versions of this phone (but NO MORE). The OG, a candybar (BB-esque) and a slider. Also, i still think it is dumb and money-hungry of them to not allow memory expansion or the ability to change one's own battery.

BB: BEST for my main needs (messaging, email, social networking). That is the main reason I am still semi-loyal to BB. However, want more from my phone than the 9300 can offer me. I am still considering the 99xx as my next phone. I like docstogo and its abilities. I also value BBM quite a bit.

aOS: I think it is a nice medium between the two. However, every android I have had extended contact with (through myself and friends with Evos, DXs, Vibrants, D1s) has had HORRIBLE battery life. But, I like the amount of FREE apps they have versus BB and the widgets and the better multitasking ability. Overall, if I could have an Android with a good keyboard and better battery life, I wouldnt even care about the existence of BB. But, at this point BB is the best ive got.

Sorry for the LONG read, BUT I hope it will help someone in the future.
    05-11-11 01:39 PM
    I use a blackberry for the same reason i use a Thinkpad instead of an alien ware.

It's reliable, durable and the absolute best tool for communication due to it's excellent keyboard and business oriented features.

Blackberry's have excellent battery life, have the best communication capabilities and excellent apps for what is important(Weather, maps, banking, news, accounting, docs, ect). The internet browser is plenty good enough to execute simple searches or view regular pages as needed.

If i want to game, i have a homebuilt powerful desktop that can throw down some real games. If i am going to waste my time gaming and farting around the internet, its going to look and sound damn good. Something no 4" phone can do.
    05-11-11 03:34 PM
    can someone shed some light on the HTC G2?

It has a QWERTY which is what BB users love..looks like a solid device with solid specs...

thinking about picking one up
    05-11-11 10:03 PM
428 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD