Hi there!

I came across this topic and I would definitely say BlackBerry Before buying my 9700, I was really tempted to buy an Android. iPhone been too common in my country and even neighboring countries. I am very..very fond of the the open apps thingy that Android had.

I was really that close of buying Nexus but, finally, I sticked to BB as I just love the QWERTY. Never felt better having my BB with me.

However, in the future, I might try out Android as my second phone.
    12-27-10 09:29 AM
    i have used the storm for two years and have had few complaints aside from no wifi,no pdf veiwer, and limited app memory. For me, the ability to receive attachments and easily choose to download them into different folders (even creating a new folders at the time ) has been the greatest asset. Upon playing with the androids and iphone i have yet to find a similar ability. I presume that there is an easily working app to do so, but without owning one i have no way to find out.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems as though most of the pros and cons center around the email push, but the ability to manipulate folders and files would seem the greater concern.

One reason I am looking to switch is that I use autocad and have found that the iphone has an autocad app which would help me immensly in the field (I am a surveyor). However, without the ease to sort various files, what would be the use? On the other hand i have yet to find a similar app for the blackberry.

Also, athough the storm has only a 3.2 megapixel camera, I find it to be comprable to almost all 5 megapixel cameras, another plus for the bb.

Does anyone have experience with using multiple folders and files on other phone?
    02-26-11 07:07 AM
    There were some major service disruptions yesterday on the DC Metro so I went to the Verizon store at Union Station to pass the time. I've developed this intense dislike to Android so I decided to spend some time with what they had there.
    So - picked up the Droid Pro. Terrible keyboard. Looks almost exactly like a BB keyboard but something felt off. I realise this morning that it was flat and straight. Didn't have the angle the BB keyboards have.
    I used a Droid X, a Droid Pro and a Drod R2D2. The jerkiness of going from one screen to the next really bothered me. The Droid X felt cheap, too plasticky. The battery health app (?) didn't tell you half the information you I wanted, such as time/use since last charge. If there was, I couldn't have found it. The iPhone 4 loaded much, much faster and much, much more smoothly than any of Droids. SMS seemed very familiar on the Droids but wasn't anywhere as smooth as iP4.

Really, I return to my impressions of Android that I had from using my family's devices last Easter and during holiday. Hated the experience.

and HATED the feedback when apps launched, I half expected the phone to go BOING!!!!!
    02-26-11 08:09 AM
    Oh, don't compare Android to BlackBerrys, Berrys is far better - you know
    02-26-11 08:40 AM
    i have used the storm for two years and have had few complaints aside from no wifi,no pdf veiwer, and limited app memory. For me, the ability to receive attachments and easily choose to download them into different folders (even creating a new folders at the time ) has been the greatest asset. Upon playing with the androids and iphone i have yet to find a similar ability. I presume that there is an easily working app to do so, but without owning one i have no way to find out.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems as though most of the pros and cons center around the email push, but the ability to manipulate folders and files would seem the greater concern.

One reason I am looking to switch is that I use autocad and have found that the iphone has an autocad app which would help me immensly in the field (I am a surveyor). However, without the ease to sort various files, what would be the use? On the other hand i have yet to find a similar app for the blackberry.

Also, athough the storm has only a 3.2 megapixel camera, I find it to be comprable to almost all 5 megapixel cameras, another plus for the bb.

Does anyone have experience with using multiple folders and files on other phone?

I have been a Blackberry user for 7 years, the last 12 months have been with the Storm 2. Currently my biggest complaint about the Storm 2 is the reboot time.

I asked a lot of questions of Droid Users as well as Verizon store reps and I was still unsure if a Droid phone was for me. I didn’t want to get a phone and waste my time if I turned out I didn’t like the phone. So I made the plunge and purchased a Motorola Droid X. 48 hours later it went back to the store.

My comments about are strictly concerning the Droid X. I realize other phones may have other user options. Blackberry seems to be consistent across the family with their options/customization.

Here is what I liked and disliked:

Reboot time – very fast. Sync with Google account for contacts, calendar – immediate

The shortest option I could find in the Droid X for email reconciliation is 15 minutes. Also deleting email for a yahoo account on the handheld did not delete the email off the server. I have several yahoo accounts and when I set up the account on the phone, the icons were called Yahoo1 Yahoo2 Yahoo3 etc. I had no idea what Yahoo icon was for which email address. I could not rename the icons.

I was able to create folders for the home screen to put similar applications in that folder and to avoid the homescreen from looking less cluttered. In other words shortcuts for ESPN, Fox Sports, MLB, NFL etc etc went into a folder I created called SPORTS.

Blackberry allows you to customize the different profiles such as Loud, Normal, Phone calls only, silent, etc. Customization was not that detailed on the Droid X, so that was a disappointment.

The Facebook app and Twitdroyd did not seem work as smoothly as they do on Blackberry.

My Storm 2 allows me to set up a unique ringtone for email from my favorite contacts – the Droid X did not allow this.

My status indicator turns to red whenever I receive a new email, irregardless of what profile I have activated. I could not repeat this on the Droid X. Also I have heard that the Samsung phones lack a status indicator.

I could not find a Droid equivalent for backing up Memo Pad from MS Outlook.

I use BB desktop manager and Blackberry Master control program for backing up all my content. I asked current users and Verizon reps what is out there to back up my phone in the event I had to replace the phone I could import everything to restore the phone as I last had it. I am still waiting for an answer.

I realize I spent a short time with the Droid but it was enough to convince me that this is not the phone for me. So I will wait and home for a Storm 3 in the not to distant future.

I hope this helps your decision making.
    Last edited by inalambrico; 02-26-11 at 12:55 PM.
    02-26-11 10:52 AM
    The iPhone isn't bad but I just didn't find it impressive enough to want to get one. I got a 9650 and it runs good. If I were you I would wait for the Storm 3 to drop this year.

And if you need a PDF reader, I found a leak of a Docs2Go from beta on this site (Apps section? Do a search!) and I installed it and using my file manager I opened a PDF and it worked! Free!
    02-26-11 01:33 PM
    The one thing I realized when making the switch to Android is that Android is made to be tweaked. It has basic functions out of the box, but gets better with tweaking. There are so many things to tweak, that it can be a little overwhelming. But that is its strength and weakness.

The shortest option I could find in the Droid X for email reconciliation is 15 minutes. Also deleting email for a yahoo account on the handheld did not delete the email off the server. I have several yahoo accounts and when I set up the account on the phone, the icons were called Yahoo1 Yahoo2 Yahoo3 etc. I had no idea what Yahoo icon was for which email address. I could not rename the icons.
    I found the default email app to be so-so. It's fine for simple e-mails, but there are 3rd party apps that work much better. K-9 Mail and MailDroid both handle email better. I use K-9 mail and it handles my Yahoo email very well. if I delete something, it deletes. I didn't like how Yahoo's own email app worked. K-9 Mail is much better.

Blackberry allows you to customize the different profiles such as Loud, Normal, Phone calls only, silent, etc. Customization was not that detailed on the Droid X, so that was a disappointment.
    There are several apps for profiles. I use one called Quick Profiles. You can have Quick Profiles configured to change a lot of settings, from sounds, volumes, vibrations, and even screen brightness.

The Facebook app and Twitdroyd did not seem work as smoothly as they do on Blackberry.
    Facebook on Android is not too bad. It does include some things, like FB Chat, that aren't included in the current BB version.

Just like on BlackBerry, there are several Twitter apps out there. I liked UberTwitter on BB, and really liked SocialScope (preferred SS to access Facebook). On Android, I like TweekDeck better. I hope SocialScope brings their app to Android.

My Storm 2 allows me to set up a unique ringtone for email from my favorite contacts � the Droid X did not allow this.
    I haven't found a way to set tones for email contacts on Android. I do have different tones for each email account (I have 8 email accounts on my SGS). I can also set ringtones for contact categories, which is something I couldn't do on my BB. Family has a set ringtone, friends have their own ringtone, along with clients, and so on. Certain people have their own ringtones as well.

My status indicator turns to red whenever I receive a new email, irregardless of what profile I have activated. I could not repeat this on the Droid X. Also I have heard that the Samsung phones lack a status indicator.
    My Samung Mesmerize (Galaxy S) doesn't not have an LED. But, I have added the NoLED application, which displays dots on the screen for different message types. Since I use K-9 Mail for my email, each e-mail account has its own notification dot. All of them have different colors, so I can quickly look at my screen and see if I have work e-mail messages (differernt shades of blue) or personal email (different shades of purple), missed calls (red), missed SMS (dark red). Other apps (like TweetDeck) show up orange. NoLED also can be set to not display notifications at night.

Just like BB has BerryBuzz for changing different notifications, there are additional apps available for setting Android notifications.

I could not find a Droid equivalent for backing up Memo Pad from MS Outlook.
    I haven't found an option for this either, other than using a 3rd party cloud app.

I use BB desktop manager and Blackberry Master control program for backing up all my content. I asked current users and Verizon reps what is out there to back up my phone in the event I had to replace the phone I could import everything to restore the phone as I last had it. I am still waiting for an answer.
    Mobisynapse will back up applications (I think it will also back up data). If you root your device, there are several apps for making backups of data, including making a backup of your entire system.

I realize I spent a short time with the Droid but it was enough to convince me that this is not the phone for me. So I will wait and home for a Storm 3 in the not to distant future.
    I don't think Android is for everyone - any platform for that matter. I loved my BlackBerry. I still use it for some things. The long reboots, truncated emails, and the SGS larger screen were what made me happy with the switch to Android. Yes, it had to be tweaked (added Quick Profiles, Bedside, NoLED, gTasks, App Folders, K-9 Mail, and TalkNotes), but that is something I expected.
    02-26-11 05:49 PM
    im truthful person ive had android and blackberry but blackberry does the little things better that all the platforms i mean talking and text messaging to me that what counts remember its a phone. andriod and iphone have alot more feature than blackberry but those are not the phones that u would want to be stuck with if u receive lots of phone calls and text messages im telling u with experience if u fit ^that profile blackberry is much better the all platforms. if u want the best of both worlds keep your blackberry and get a andriod/ipad/playbook aka andriod tablet.
    Last edited by n1ck3g; 05-04-11 at 09:45 PM.
    05-04-11 09:42 PM
    If you use google for email and calendar. Both Android and iOS are going to be better than BB for pushing email and calendar updates.
    05-04-11 10:34 PM
    It decided by what you like to used it for, if for job, I think Blackberry phone is better for you, the email function they supported is steady and better than others.But I have changed my phone to HTC HD2, I like Android better, because I like the system,much interesting app,very convenient.
    05-05-11 03:21 AM
    One more master blaster android mobile is coming to break down i phone's tradition. Samsung Galaxy S2 android version 2.3 + 1.2 GHz dual core processor.
    05-07-11 04:06 AM
    Android almost the same capabilities of iPhone. More of a multimedia type. I love BlackBerry. I'm always updated and I can keep in touch through e-mail and social networks! BIS ftw!
    05-07-11 05:40 AM
    These types of threads are entertaining. It's like saying there is only one automobile everyone should buy.
    05-07-11 06:49 AM
    I sell BlackBerry, Droid and most other OS devices; some months ago my wife (who has had a BB for 4 years) asked for a new device and chose Android (a HTC) over iPhone. She had the device 3 weeks and begged me to get her a new BB...

Cant beat BB....

Osh
    05-07-11 09:48 AM
    All I can say is different strokes for different folks. I work for a wireless company and have to sell devices by specs over the phone sometimes. It's hard to tell them which is better because in the end, cellphones whether Android, BB, or iOS powered are all a personal experience. I'm typing this on my Milestone but I have a BB 9650 as my work device and I love both! So it's not that you can't beat BlackBerry, it's just what you like. My 2 � worth.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
    05-07-11 09:54 AM
    Time to upgrade. Has any Blackberry users tried an Android phone? I'd like to know their thoughts if it's just as good as blackberry or do you suggest staying with blackberry?
    I have an Atrix, several personal Blackberries, and a work issued Blackberry. After one month with the Atrix trying to deal with the 13 hour battery, gmail, lack of profiles, lack of notifications and having to remove apps due to security issues the Atrix is now in my kitchen drawer and I'm back to my Torch full time.

The Atrix is a gorgeous device with a multimedia experience that kills my Blackberries. At a cost. That cost is that the battery dies before I get home each day. And no, it is not acceptable to me to have to deal with having to look for a power source everywhere I go.

Apps - there are a million apps in the Android market. Could not find one that could tell me when the next DC Circulator is coming in the same way the iPhone does. I thought it would be there, but not. I thought I could find something similar to BeBuzz and the closest one collected my credit card information....ummm...no.

The Atrix display kills the Blackberry. The messaging options on a Blackberry kill the Atrix.

So...like I said...my Atrix is in my kitchen drawer.

Before I bought it, purely on a whim, I'd found things about the Android platform I didn't like. After buying the Atrix I see that my first impressions were correct. There's a lot of flash to the phone (pun intended) but to me it's simply flash. I prefer the dependability of the BB.
    05-07-11 01:30 PM
    I have an Atrix, several personal Blackberries, and a work issued Blackberry. After one month with the Atrix trying to deal with the 13 hour battery, gmail, lack of profiles, lack of notifications and having to remove apps due to security issues the Atrix is now in my kitchen drawer and I'm back to my Torch full time.
    I think gmail is the best free email service available. What don't you like about it?
    05-07-11 08:03 PM
    Android almost the same capabilities of iPhone. More of a multimedia type. I love BlackBerry. I'm always updated and I can keep in touch through e-mail and social networks! BIS ftw!
    You can do the same with iPhone and Android. I think the email support in iOS is better than BIS ftw.
    05-07-11 08:04 PM
    These types of threads are entertaining. It's like saying there is only one automobile everyone should buy.

I especially love the personal preferences put forth as canonical fact: "Those Ford windshield wipers sure are snazzy, but you can't beat the cup holders on a Chevy!"
    Last edited by trelawrence; 05-08-11 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Telus Toronto likes this.
    05-07-11 08:56 PM
    In terms of specs, gaming and multi-media capabilties andriod devices have an upper edge for now..
    However blackberries in terms of ease of use, email, messaging etc wins in my opinion.

It really depends on what your usage is for it. Are you looking for a mobile device that is great for mainly business/work/school use and that can still do multimedia or are you looking for a multimedia powerhouse phone?

Me personally i love my blackberry.. Its easy to use, does what i need it to do, reliable and quick.. I find andriod devices tend to take too long to just be able to do basic things. And yes ive use andriod devices before..

Again its all a persons perfrences.
    My advice, play around with both BB and andriod in store and see whats good for you.
    05-07-11 10:31 PM

Me personally i love my blackberry.. Its easy to use, does what i need it to do, reliable and quick.. I find andriod devices tend to take too long to just be able to do basic things. And yes ive use andriod devices before..
    I tend to agree with you. I always come back (have both an iPhone and Android device) to the fact of ease of use with my BB 9000. That is important to me as I dislike turning a simple task into a adventure. JMHO.
    05-08-11 08:05 AM
    threads like this will be a thing of the past when QNX BlackBerry phones become available.
    We know that Android apps are coming to the Playbook.. so it's only a matter of time.

Soon it's going to be "Android IN a BlackBerry" thread.
    05-08-11 08:08 AM
    I have tried the iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy phone. Had them for a month and 6 months or so respectively. In the end I was begging for my Blackberry back. The iPhone doesn't sync my tasks and notes from my exchange account. It also doesn't allow word excel and pp docs to be put directly on the device (showing up as a separate drive).

Android did exchange better through an app. I purchased touchdown for the android phone. It worked at first but it started force closing and lagging. The battery life was awful too. It was amazing to have a plasma television in your hand but you needed a portable nuclear power plant because the thing sucked power down.

To each their own buy an android phone and you may like it. I had to pay nearly $500 for my BB because I did not qualify for upgrade at the time. I hated the android device so bad in the end I would have paid a thousand to get a BB back in my hands. My business is back to being organized and that period of my life is now officially known as "chaos" to my employees and clients. Hahaha.

Good luck.
    05-08-11 12:38 PM
    Blackberry is the worlds best messaging phone. It's unbeatable in that category. It will always have a place in my hand for business.

But, a larger majority of the customers want more than that; Android and Apple deliver in that area.

With their OS, and more importantly; the way they release devices on carriers, Blackberry can't and won't match what the other guys offer relative to apps and internet consumption. "this app works on this phone, but not this phone", etc. It's an app developers nightmare.

QNX alone isn't going to solve this problem.

1) Get Android or Windows 7 on the phone. Stop farting around with crap OS.
    2) Weed down the offering of devices and focus on making them EXCELLENT
    3) Set some perimeters with carriers or partner with carriers to better manage the OS.

That's what they got to do or they'll continue to slide.
    05-08-11 03:07 PM
    Blackberry is the worlds best messaging phone. It's unbeatable in that category. It will always have a place in my hand for business.

But, a larger majority of the customers want more than that; Android and Apple deliver in that area.

With their OS, and more importantly; the way they release devices on carriers, Blackberry can't and won't match what the other guys offer relative to apps and internet consumption. "this app works on this phone, but not this phone", etc. It's an app developers nightmare.

QNX alone isn't going to solve this problem.

1) Get Android or Windows 7 on the phone. Stop farting around with crap OS.
    2) Weed down the offering of devices and focus on making them EXCELLENT
    3) Set some perimeters with carriers or partner with carriers to better manage the OS.

That's what they got to do or they'll continue to slide.

I completely agree with #2. Cull and perfect.
    05-08-11 03:16 PM
428 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD