I landed here as I am desperate, I made the big mistake to buy an android powered SE XPERIA X10 (coming form a bold 9000) ; honestly now that I have it I cannot understand why anybody would buy this crap; ugly GUI.. OK I could live with it, unorganized and space consuming email interface... maybe I get used to that; but this crappy software does not synchronize with Outlook!! It does not natively allow tethering! I wasted the whole day in setting it up and I had enough; tomorrow I am switching and just getting an old fashioned BB 9700 - for me android does not work at all, for a kid who likes to play it may be a different story, but to do that i rather have a second dedicated device like an itouch or ipod. No offense, if you need your device for work, forget android
    08-12-10 08:41 PM
    No comment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 01:58 AM
    I was a blackberry user for about 7 years and just recently switched to Android and the possibilities with the Droid X are endless.
    08-30-10 01:09 PM
    I was a blackberry user for about 7 years and just recently switched to Android and the possibilities with the Droid X are endless.
    U were a BB user for 7 years and waited to join CB after you buy a droid to put BB down? Crazy? Put a good browser on my bold 9650 and it would be hard to beat! I just feel the droid's way of making calls or sending texts are more of a pain than on my bold. I mean alot of my phone calls I make I don't even go through contacts just use speed dial. Things like that just seem a little easier. But at the same time I have not used an android long enough for a true test.
    08-30-10 01:31 PM
    U were a BB user for 7 years and waited to join CB after you buy a droid to put BB down? Crazy? Put a good browser on my bold 9650 and it would be hard to beat! I just feel the droid's way of making calls or sending texts are more of a pain than on my bold. I mean alot of my phone calls I make I don't even go through contacts just use speed dial. Things like that just seem a little easier. But at the same time I have not used an android long enough for a true test.
    why are you flaming him because he joined just to say he switched to android.... childish. maybe its because he didn't know about the site? but like Avt said in the android forums and i will quote what he said just so you could understand it better
    avt123: You cannot compare Bolt or Opera mini to a WebKit browser. Bolt and Opera Mini compress the website before it even hits your device, that's why it loads faster. WebKit browsers render everything on the device itself. With Bolt and Opera mini, your device basically does no work besides hold a connection and display the page. This has been talked about so many times when people we saying BB doesn't need a Webkit browser and that they were fine with Bolt/Opera. It's a totally different ballgame.

Bolt and Opera Mini also do not have the same quality rendering, because everything is compressed.
    dont get me wrong the webkit browser by RIM does look nice but its not as good as apple or android browser.
    08-30-10 03:22 PM

dont get me wrong the webkit browser by RIM does look nice but its not as good as apple or android browser.
    Aaaaaactually... the webkit browser in BB 6 beats the iPhone and Android browser in performance

New BlackBerry Browser Beats iPhone and Android Performance
    08-30-10 03:57 PM
    The title of the thread is Android vs. BB... A quick google search can bring up this thread. There are many long time BB users switching that happen to not be a member of this forum before they did.

Aaaaaactually... the webkit browser in BB 6 beats the iPhone and Android browser in performance

Put the browser on some good hardware. Until then, Android and iPhone browsers load pages faster than BBs Webkit browser on its current device.
    08-30-10 05:36 PM
    I just feel the droid's way of making calls or sending texts are more of a pain than on my bold. I mean alot of my phone calls I make I don't even go through contacts just use speed dial. Things like that just seem a little easier. But at the same time I have not used an android long enough for a true test.
    We have speed dial too, and I can add individual contacts for one button dialing on any home screen I choose. I can also add individual ring tones for each contact so I know who they are before calling. Texts are a breeze, and I have a multitude of IM clients to choose from to suit my needs.
    08-30-10 08:03 PM

On the Torch? Uh, no, it isn't. It's slow and laggy.
    08-30-10 08:11 PM
    I rarely post but I always look to CB for some pretty good info. I've had an Incredible since it first came out on Verizon. Regardles what people say it's a very good phone and one that is more like an iphone than a typical blackberry so I find it amusing when people rip on the BB comparing them to an andriod when they're completely different products. I switched to the HTC because I wanted something different. The phone's OS and screen (indoors) is awesome. I use a gmail acct. and hotmail they both worked fine although the hotmail acct. was delayed, not a big deal to me. Gmail, contacts and calendar works fine for me. Typing in landscape mode to me was as easy my old BB. Battery life wasn't an issue because between, home, the office and my car a charger was always around. The screen is brutal in the sun so you'll have to find shade to be able to see it. The camera and the other features you can find out in other posts. That being said I'm coming back to BB and my Bold should be here tomorrow. I'm switching for several reasons. I'm tired of the touch screen because I've got big hands so I'm constantly hitting something on the screen that I didn't intend to. Using the phone to surf the internet is not something I need to do on my phone. I'm outside all the time so not being able to read the screen is a big deal. I want a phone so I can make calls, text and get my emails and the blackberry suits me better. I'm not a fan of the BB OS but I can live with it and hopefully the 6 will be avail. soon. I also want the option to be able to the phone on a gsm network and the tour allows me to do that. I would suggest you play around with the andriod and see if you like it. The BB's are great phones and so are the andriods it boils down to what your needs are. BB's work for me.
    08-30-10 09:10 PM
    On the Torch? Uh, no, it isn't. It's slow and laggy.
    "The comparison was made with the Acid3 test, which is used industry-wide to rate browser performance. The new BlackBerry WebKit browser (running on a BlackBerry 9800) got a score of 208, which is far better than the performance of previous BlackBerry browsers... The same test was done on the iPhone 4 running iOS4, which got 185 points, and the HTC Incredible running Android 2.1, which only received 151 points."

08-31-10 01:16 PM
    "The comparison was made with the Acid3 test, which is used industry-wide to rate browser performance. The new BlackBerry WebKit browser (running on a BlackBerry 9800) got a score of 208, which is far better than the performance of previous BlackBerry browsers... The same test was done on the iPhone 4 running iOS4, which got 185 points, and the HTC Incredible running Android 2.1, which only received 151 points."

Any video you watch comparing the three, BB still gets its **** kicked big time! I hope I am wrong and I know I shouldn't be so negative but I have a feeling that all these "where is os6 threads" are going to turn to the new web browser is still a joke! IMO the people that are looking for a good web browsing experience will keep leaving BB for android phones. Myself included if the new os isn't a long ways in the right direction. Bad thing is android is so far ahead of the game even if RIM catches up they will go another two years without improvements. RIM will always be left in the dust!
    08-31-10 01:32 PM
    I rarely post but I always look to CB for some pretty good info. I've had an Incredible since it first came out on Verizon. Regardles what people say it's a very good phone and one that is more like an iphone than a typical blackberry so I find it amusing when people rip on the BB comparing them to an andriod when they're completely different products. I switched to the HTC because I wanted something different. The phone's OS and screen (indoors) is awesome. I use a gmail acct. and hotmail they both worked fine although the hotmail acct. was delayed, not a big deal to me. Gmail, contacts and calendar works fine for me. Typing in landscape mode to me was as easy my old BB. Battery life wasn't an issue because between, home, the office and my car a charger was always around. The screen is brutal in the sun so you'll have to find shade to be able to see it. The camera and the other features you can find out in other posts. That being said I'm coming back to BB and my Bold should be here tomorrow. I'm switching for several reasons. I'm tired of the touch screen because I've got big hands so I'm constantly hitting something on the screen that I didn't intend to. Using the phone to surf the internet is not something I need to do on my phone. I'm outside all the time so not being able to read the screen is a big deal. I want a phone so I can make calls, text and get my emails and the blackberry suits me better. I'm not a fan of the BB OS but I can live with it and hopefully the 6 will be avail. soon. I also want the option to be able to the phone on a gsm network and the tour allows me to do that. I would suggest you play around with the andriod and see if you like it. The BB's are great phones and so are the andriods it boils down to what your needs are. BB's work for me.
    Would love to hear what you think once you are up and running with your BOLD. I tell myself everyday not to leave my BOLD for android because I will miss my BB!
    08-31-10 01:35 PM

208? Isn't the test based on a score from 1-100?

The Acid3 Test

If I remember correctly, the browser got 100/100. Currently Android 2.2 devices are getting 93/100 and I believe the iPhone is the same.

That still doesn't change the fact that we need to see the browser on better hardware, because as good as it performs on this acid test, speed wise Android and iPhone browsers are faster.
    08-31-10 03:16 PM

And now to compare it to real world testing, on actual production hardware. It slow, and lags, alot. Put a 9800, iPhone 4, and one of the new Droids next to each other, and I bet you the 9800 finishes last each and every time.

That is RIM's fault though, who ever had the bright idea of using a processor that's a year outdated should be fired.
    08-31-10 04:55 PM
    jebulls I got the Bold yesterday and very happy I'm back. For me everything is better the feel and weight of the phone and it's functions. My gmail account is working perfect and all other email accounts. I like the typing on the bold better eventhough I had no problem with the incredible in landscape mode. The one thing I missed was the messages coming into one box not muliple ones like the incredible and forwarding messages is better on the bold. I really hated the fact I couldn't see the screen on the incredible in the sunlight,the bold is better. Another huge thing for me was I got tired of the touch screen, it's not for me. I think after a few months the wow factor wore off and I was ready to get back to work type smartphone. I've noticed in the short time it's been on, even with wifi, the battery on the bold is better. I hope this helps.
    09-01-10 08:22 PM
    jebulls I got the Bold yesterday and very happy I'm back. For me everything is better the feel and weight of the phone and it's functions. My gmail account is working perfect and all other email accounts. I like the typing on the bold better eventhough I had no problem with the incredible in landscape mode. The one thing I missed was the messages coming into one box not muliple ones like the incredible and forwarding messages is better on the bold. I really hated the fact I couldn't see the screen on the incredible in the sunlight,the bold is better. Another huge thing for me was I got tired of the touch screen, it's not for me. I think after a few months the wow factor wore off and I was ready to get back to work type smartphone. I've noticed in the short time it's been on, even with wifi, the battery on the bold is better. I hope this helps.
    Yep that does help thanks! Now lets hope when os6 comes our way we get a little better browser and the BOLD will be hard to be. All the reasons you mentioned where the things I was worried I wouldn't like so I am going to hang on to my BOLD and hopefully 6 brings us a little better experience!
    09-01-10 08:36 PM
    I felt exactly the same but I came from a Storm 2 to a Bold 9700. Initially I thought it was a bit small and maybe I would still prefer the size of the 9000 but this thing is so light, powerful and immensely pocketable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 09:56 AM
    I always end up back with a BlackBerry. The reason is quite simple... the BlackBerry works AS A PHONE.

The communication functions (in my opinion) are second to none. I rarely have no signal. Unless I'm in a woodland area (which I have been) and the signal has been rather poor, I've never lost a signal.

I receive emails, and can edit documents on the go. The IM functions are brilliant and I am happy with the basic web browsing that I need to do.

If I wanted 1000+ fart apps, I'd have an iPhone. If I wanted to totally reprogram my phone and fully customise it beyong recognition, I'd have an android.

I want to call, text and email - i've got a BlackBerry.
    09-02-10 10:23 AM
    I always end up back with a BlackBerry. The reason is quite simple... the BlackBerry works AS A PHONE.

The communication functions (in my opinion) are second to none. I rarely have no signal. Unless I'm in a woodland area (which I have been) and the signal has been rather poor, I've never lost a signal.

I receive emails, and can edit documents on the go. The IM functions are brilliant and I am happy with the basic web browsing that I need to do.

If I wanted 1000+ fart apps, I'd have an iPhone. If I wanted to totally reprogram my phone and fully customise it beyong recognition, I'd have an android.

I want to call, text and email - i've got a BlackBerry.

fart apps... hehe that always cracks me up
    09-02-10 07:45 PM
    Time to upgrade. Has any Blackberry users tried an Android phone? I'd like to know their thoughts if it's just as good as blackberry or do you suggest staying with blackberry?
    Hi, when I changed my old BB Bold 9000, I got the Nexus One, it was really nice, BUT, (that what you are waiting for), I turned back to the BB.

I didn't feel like it, I missed the push tech of BB, facebook alerts, emails..blablabla..

Also, I suffered from the week battery, if you intended to get an android, keep the charger close.

It's true Android has a huge lib of software comparing to blackberry, BUT, why for ??? it's all useless, BB has all what I need.

Every time I got a new phone I turned back in less than a month.

BB Bold 9000 --> Nexus --> storm 1 --> storm 2 -->hTc HD --> Bold 9700

As a conclusion, I prefer to get a good peace of a machinery instead of a plastic toy.

Take care,

Sherif
    10-12-10 05:00 PM
    Sherif,
    I can understand your wanting to stay with BB, but Droids are not cute toys.
    My Incredible runs circles around my BB.

Push email does exist for Android, as does FB alerts, blablabla.

Battery is weak because they are drawing more power and this is a problem that I agree with you on..

No truncated emails!!! WHOOHOO!!!!

Software has good and bad titles and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to get them.

MUCH more memory than BB and much more customizable. No more battery pulls!

BB has a sleeper magnet which I do miss, A LOT!

There isn't a single platform for everyone so each has to figure out what they want and or need and go from there.
    For you it's BB, for me it's Android.
    10-13-10 07:29 AM
    I own Blackberries and have owned Androids, I use a 9650 as my daily carry. I recently bought myself and my wife a couple of Torch phones and IMHO it is my favorite phone to use. Now if VZ would come out with something similar I would be all over it. BB just Gets ur Done.
    10-13-10 11:53 PM
    "Android phones all seem to be either slider (I HATE SLIDER KEYBOARDS!) or fully touchscreen (I HATE TOUCHSCREENS)..."

Nuff said for me.
    10-14-10 04:33 AM
    "Android phones all seem to be either slider (I HATE SLIDER KEYBOARDS!) or fully touchscreen (I HATE TOUCHSCREENS)..."

Nuff said for me.
    ya thats part of the problem I've had. I have an evo now which is great but i was missing the keyboard and goofy things from my BB. So right now i went and added a line and picked up a 9330 since it didnt cost anything. I just dont know if I can see the point of having 2 phones to carry around. At least I have my 30 days to decide, it just sucks I can't find a phone with browsing like the android, but with the keyboard and indicator light etc like the blackberry. Decisions decisions! :-)
    10-20-10 01:15 PM
428 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD