That was pretty much my own personal feelings when I was shopping around. My exploration revealed some things about the Droid OS that did not appeal to me, but was not necessarily a deal breaker. But, when I visited the store (multiple times) and played with the units, the Droid was NOT feeling very good in my hands, nor did I like the display.

As for Opera Mini, I've tried it three times and removed it three times, I simply do not like it, there were too many compromises. So, for the time being, I will continue to use the default browser.

I have a relative that has a BB and her boyfriend has a Droid. They have a debate about who phone is better. She is staying with her BB cause she like the feel of the Bold and she does not like the keyboard/touchscreen on the Droid. The only advantage that Droid has over BB to me is browser is faster but I use Opera Mini Browser.
    04-15-10 07:06 PM
    I have a storm2 and my wife has a motorola droid. The 2 major advantages I see in the droid are the lightning fast web browsing and the availability of good apps (many of them free).
    04-15-10 07:08 PM
    That was pretty much my own personal feelings when I was shopping around. My exploration revealed some things about the Droid OS that did not appeal to me, but was not necessarily a deal breaker. But, when I visited the store (multiple times) and played with the units, the Droid was NOT feeling very good in my hands, nor did I like the display.

As for Opera Mini, I've tried it three times and removed it three times, I simply do not like it, there were too many compromises. So, for the time being, I will continue to use the default browser.
    Out of habit, I still use the bb browser but I just let Opera Mini stay up for back up...
    04-15-10 08:15 PM
    I had a 9700 and have a Droid. Hands down, the Droid woops the crap out of any BB. The only thing the 9700 had over the Droid was battery life but that's it. Still was a decent phone though.

Android > Blackberry
    04-15-10 08:41 PM
    I will give my first hand experience as I have been using a BB for 2 years but made the switch to a Droid about three months ago. I like my Android system MUCH BETTER than the BB in just about every aspect. The droid fits my lifestyle much better than the BB. I broke my droids screen yesterday at work, second floor scaffolding and dropped it straight onto its face on the concrete, and had to reactivate my Tour, Im on VZW, and I see why I left the BB. I shouldn't have to download 3rd party applications to make the browser on par with other phones, it should be included. I am a plumber and constantly driving from location to location and NOTHING on the BB beats the Google Maps turn by turn navigation. I have had so many bad experiences with Google maps on the BB and the BS loading screen that wastes me time while looking for a address. I don't have corporate email as I only have my GMail and my private account for work so the email from the droid is more than adequate. The camera is better even though I don't really ever take pictures but when I do they look good. I do agree that the market is full of stuff, but most of the stuff is crap. On my droid, I don't think I've waited longer than 2 seconds for any program that I have to open. On my BB, I just sit and watch the loading animation for time and time again, which got annoying. There are many programs that are available for both the Droid and the BB but everything seems to run smoother and faster on the droid, hands down. ON ANOTHER NOTE, I love listening to music while I am at work, nothing makes me work better. Pandora/Slacker radio have issues on the android system and have for a long time. The songs aren't crisp and clean like they are when listening on the computer/a blackberry. It is one of my biggest gripes that I have with the phone as it produces a distorted bass line on most songs. It is still doable but certain songs make it sound like you are trying to play music on blow speakers. Facebook, which I use a lot, is a joke on the BB but is even a BIGGER joke on the droid. I don't think Ive used it more than 5 times since it lacks everything and redirects you to the mobile version web site for just about every action. Like mentioned by someone previously, the calendar system on the droid is right up to par with the BB. Never one problem and everything on my Windows box, my iMac, gmail, and Facebook all sync flawlessly. The battery does run down faster but I don't expect any phone to navigate me through 2 hours worth of traffic, I commute to Santa Monica area for work, than play Pandora for 6 hours through my bluetooth headset and not need another charge before the end of the day.
    Now that I am on my tour again while I wait for my droid to be repaired, I see why I left and have been happy with the switch. The bb is dirt slow, plain and simple. Everything takes me longer to do than on my droid. DROID DOES.
    04-16-10 10:48 AM
    I signed up with androidcentral. Why? I am interested in the os.

Here is a ?. my curve 8330 constantly lags and at times locks up with bbm 5.0.
    I have third party apps and 20 mb free.
    I think my wanting to leave BB is because of my antiquated device and the glitz of android.
    Do you think the cdma bold will alleviate a lot of bp issues, etc.?
    04-27-10 10:07 AM
    I signed up with androidcentral. Why? I am interested in the os.

Here is a ?. my curve 8330 constantly lags and at times locks up with bbm 5.0.
    I have third party apps and 20 mb free.
    I think my wanting to leave BB is because of my antiquated device and the glitz of android.
    Do you think the cdma bold will alleviate a lot of bp issues, etc.?
    I'm hoping the new CDMA Bold will alleviate those issues as well.
    It's a great device, but it's very slow. Updates are few and far between now.
    I also hope that VZnavigator runs better on the new Bold. I pay Verizon $9.99/mo to use their GPS navigation because it's locked. The version of VZnavigator is outdated and runs slow. They have an update but it's for newer devices. My only other option is BlackBerry Maps. I rarely use BlackBerry Maps because it can never seem to pickup a good satellite signal, unless you wait for minutes at a time.
    04-27-10 06:11 PM
    Blackberry for me.
    04-27-10 06:33 PM
    I'm hoping the new CDMA Bold will alleviate those issues as well.
    It's a great device, but it's very slow. Updates are few and far between now.
    I also hope that VZnavigator runs better on the new Bold. I pay Verizon $9.99/mo to use their GPS navigation because it's locked. The version of VZnavigator is outdated and runs slow. They have an update but it's for newer devices. My only other option is BlackBerry Maps. I rarely use BlackBerry Maps because it can never seem to pickup a good satellite signal, unless you wait for minutes at a time.
    exactly...why should bb users pay for a service that google offers android users for free?
    I get flamed for saying I think all RIM is doing is a refresh of an antiquated system while others seem to be innovating......
    Everything you read is about what is under the hood. That's good, but it's also what's utilizing that processor, etc. that makes a difference.
    04-27-10 06:40 PM
    Having both devices (Bold 9000 and CDMA Hero) I can say that for my personal usage, android is a much better system. The biggest thing I consistently see in these blackberry vs *insert other OS* threads is:

Blackberry users wont leave because of BBM, need corporate (BES) access, security, and the preference for bar style phones vs slider vs touchscreen.

Breaking that down:
    -BBM - One messaging app that links berry heads worldwide. But Google Talk, does most of the same stuff now, and is available to all platforms iirc.

-BES + Security - No choice there. But also not what I consider a "consumer" user. (Vs. corporate)

Phone style - Well thats a manufacturer issue.

One other thing people often say is that BB is superior in email/messaging. But for most consumer users, there is enough email access (accounts wise) it's fast enough (instant push for gmail, 5 min pull for others) And the typing is a matter of proficiency with the keyboard.

My 2 cents
    04-27-10 09:18 PM
    I just ditched my BB Storm for the HTC Droid Incredible and Android has Blackberry beat hands down, a thousand times.

It's just unbelievable the night and day difference between these phonse. The DInc is sexy, lightning fast and can do tremendous things.

It runs HTC Sense which is a UI overtop base Android, but it seems fairly integrated. Highly customizable, live wallpaper, great app support...

Apple and RIM should really start fearing Google, they're spreading Android like a virus. Because it is based on Linux, lots of developers already have a head start on building apps with their SDK. Future is bright for Android.
    04-28-10 10:51 AM
    One other thing people often say is that BB is superior in email/messaging. But for most consumer users, there is enough email access (accounts wise) it's fast enough (instant push for gmail, 5 min pull for others) And the typing is a matter of proficiency with the keyboard.

My 2 cents
    BBs being better for email is an urban myth. They can't even do IMAP subfolders.
    04-28-10 10:54 AM
    BBs being better for email is an urban myth. They can't even do IMAP subfolders.
    Yes they can on BES. On BIS is better if you want your emails fast, as in instant. This should be part of the homework anybody should do before they buy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 12:52 PM
    04-28-10 01:54 PM
    Having both devices (Bold 9000 and CDMA Hero) I can say that for my personal usage, android is a much better system. The biggest thing I consistently see in these blackberry vs *insert other OS* threads is:

Blackberry users wont leave because of BBM, need corporate (BES) access, security, and the preference for bar style phones vs slider vs touchscreen.

Breaking that down:
    -BBM - One messaging app that links berry heads worldwide. But Google Talk, does most of the same stuff now, and is available to all platforms iirc.

-BES + Security - No choice there. But also not what I consider a "consumer" user. (Vs. corporate)

Phone style - Well thats a manufacturer issue.

My 2 cents
    For me it's the whole idea of data sharing. I don't find email on BB much different from other platforms. I put in the address, type a message and send it. Not a big deal.

But the ability to switch between multiple messaging applications almost instantly is a real bonus. I don't need to search menus or anything, two button presses and I am anywhere i want to be. I have yet to find another phone that's so fast and easy.
    04-28-10 01:58 PM
    ON a serious note, compared to my graphic...sorry, was too tempting.

I think ,it comes down to preferences. I know for myself, Ive tried touchscreens, and played around with a couple of HTC phones. The androids are hot...but they're not what I want in a phone.

I wouldn't mind using an ipod touch for somethings these other phones can do, but with my bb, my emails are cranked out faster, my texting is all too quick, no touchscreen errors and it does what I need an organizational and messaging tool should do for me....FOR ME.
    04-28-10 02:05 PM
    I personally own both the HTC Hero, and the Curve 8530 on the Sprint network. Currently I am using the Curve, and trying to decide which to keep, and which to sell. They are both great phones and both have advantages, and disadvantages. What I like about the android platform are the thousands of free apps that would otherwise cost you for your BB, and the dozens of custom ROM's available, way better browser too.
    What I love about the BB is obviously BB Messenger, and the BB calendar for setting reminders, appointments etc., and I only need a reboot about once a week. The Hero tends to lag after about 2 days use and needs a reboot. I also like the BB keyboard better over the touchscreen.
    They are both equally as fast on Sprint for processor speed, and internal memory. Both phones/platforms are great, and I don't think anyone can go wrong with either. Right now I am leaning towards keeping my BB just because I am so used to it since that's all I owned before the Hero.
    04-28-10 03:16 PM
    Yes they can on BES. On BIS is better if you want your emails fast, as in instant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's crippled on BES too. You can only have one BES account per phone, meaning that if you have two email accounts and want to see subfolders on both, you're screwed.

I have three where subfolders would be very helpful. Even if I paid a considerable amount extra per month, I would still be crippled.

You'll pay an extra $35/mo for exchange email hosting, and BES through your carrier, and still be stuck with one account.

This should be part of the homework anybody should do before they buy.
    That's the thing, people who do their homework read a near unanimous verdict of people screaming "BLACKBERRIES ARE THE BEST FOR EMAIL" from independent bloggers to big time tech review companies. If someone told me "this is the best bluetooth headset ever" and it wound up having a range of 18", I would be surprised. If it were truly the best, this would be covered.

When one says something is the best at X, it is implied that a basic feature of X is included or supported.

People do not expect such pathetic limitations on basic features on devices universally touted as the best for a given job.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 04-28-10 at 04:48 PM.
    04-28-10 03:18 PM
    Android and Blackberry are both good platforms for what they offer. I've owned a BB Curve and sold it a few months ago to get a Droid because it just wasn't for me.
    04-28-10 03:22 PM
    Blackberry's use to have an edge with email systems and some other features that where appealing to cooperate users. However, this is not the case any more, Android phones have just as good email systems and a way better browser. If RIMM does not hurry up with OS6 they will continue to lose market share to Apple and Android phones. Plus, they need to stop adding features to old phones and focus on innovating new ones.
    05-01-10 10:13 AM
    One other thing, It is much easier to develop apps for Android phones as opposed to Blackberry. The Android OS was built from ground up to support easy development of apps. Blackberrys on the other hand was not, and that is why they have limited app developers.
    05-01-10 10:17 AM
    I'd say android is a great phone OS.
    Most of the phones on the market now are pretty powerful in terms of specs - 5MP+ cameras, really big screen resolutions, some have 720p video recording, some have OLED or AMOLED displays, there are a ton of amazing Apps (many of which are free - compared to iPhone and Blackberry where the free ones are only 25% of the total!), it works great with your google accounts as mail, calendar, contacts all automatically sync wirelessly.

The only downside to android is that I feel (at least, due to my own experiences with the Droid) it is still very much a work in progress. My phone has applications that delete themselves, sometimes the touchscreen malfunctions and I can't swipe to pick up incoming calls or my check will somehow end a call when the phone is against my face (so the proximity sensor is bad, I guess).

Compared to the iPhone, which has a lot more polish, Android is still Subpar. I think the best thing to do with Android would be to wait until this summer or next summer when it has hopefully gained more marketshare and more people are serious about it. Then maybe it will get the developer attention to perfection like iPhone has.

Anyway, to answer your question - I love my Android phone - it's really awesome because it can do so many things, and the blakcberries that my provider was selling were really crappy compared to the Droid (the best phone was a storm 2 and the curve 8530, which really have nothing hardware-wise on the droid!).
    But, I really want a blackberry again because everyone I know has blackberries now. I'm left out of the loop again. First, it was because I was the only one with a blackberry. Now, it's because everyone else has one and I don't.
    05-01-10 10:22 AM
    I'm going to be moving onto the nexus one once my current contract runs out.

I love my blackberry but i've had it for 2 years now and i think that android is more my style and i like the eye candy that comes with it, its just much more appealing to me with the features it brings.

It really depends on what you want from your phone.

Blackberry is really more business orientated i think.
    05-01-10 11:05 AM
    My Eris has almost flawless ActiveSync with my work account (highly secure Exchange server) I have all my folders, my personal contacts & my calendar. I don't have tasks. I do have access to the email addresses of those people in the Exchange GAL (Global Address List) - it just takes a couple extra screens to find it.

I have had battery life issues, but by following tips from various other forums, I can generally last an entire work day. Might need to start charging it about 8pm or so.

I switched from an 8310 on the ATT network to Verizon. I know there are a few things that bother me, but if I spent a little extra time tweeking the phone (like I did with my 8310) I would be even happier with it.

The apps I really miss from my BB - SocialScope. There is not a good blended Twitter/Facebook Android App. I was just starting to use BBM - though I do use Google Voice for texting.
    Last edited by momsmobilecamaro; 05-01-10 at 07:02 PM.
    05-01-10 06:58 PM
    BB/RIM needs to stop insulting our intelligence by repackaging the same phone with minimal upgrades to the specs and calling it a brand new device, I was a bb advocate for the longest time, and to be honest with you, i truly only stay with bb because of bbm and group chat which i use daily, however I will be switching to android after this latest tour2/bold3 fiasco?? really u switched out the trackball added a lil more oomph in the processor speed and want me to spend how much to upgrade??? screw you RIM I will soon be incredible!
    05-19-10 05:55 AM
428 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD