After owing many BB devices and now on my second Android device, the only 2 negatives of Android compared to BB I've found are

1) Battery life
    2) Variety of email accounts. You can have any POP email pushed instantly to your BB. With Android it's only Gmail or Exchange, all the rest are minumum 5 minutes to pull the email. Although, the Messaging apps on Android are far superior to BB.
    03-30-10 11:18 AM
    I agree that there are some things that the Android does better, but there are clearly things the Blackberry does better too. Also, for those that hate the stock bb browser, use Opera Mini, its leaps and bounds better than stock and comparable to the Android and iPhone browsers.

Given the fact that in the coming months, OS 6.0, Flash, and webkit will be out, I'm willing to stick with RIM. If after all that stuff comes out, I feel RIM is still in the past, then I will consider a change, but I'm very satisfied with how things work on my Storm2 right now.

Things i use my phone for:
    Email, texting, bbm, skype (Blackberry is the best)
    Internet browsing (Android and Apple are better, but Opera levels it a bit)
    RSS Feeds (Don't know the comparison, but Viigo does everything I'd ever want, so I'm more than happy)
    Sports (ScoreMobile give me what I need, but BB is lacking in this department)
    Phone (Blackberrys are the best of the big 3)
    Games (Lacking BIG time, but I have found some gems in the Blackberry App World)
    Clicky Screen!!!! Basically adds a whole nother dynamic to using a touch screen. Non clicky screens feel very outdated, kind of like a mouse without a right click.

All in all, I am sooooo happy with my Blackberry and have NO interest in changing to anything else at this point.

I agree flash/webkit would help me stay. But that is iffy with RIM.

Ken
    03-30-10 11:50 AM
    Wow! Marine One responded to a thread titled "Android vs. BlackBerry" by a person who ASKED for people's opinion on which platform is better and you call him a Troll because he has a different opinion of you? Very lame, dude
    well for the sake of getting along maybe i was being a little mouthy with my criticisms, and if I went a little too far I apologize.

I have affection for RIM.. I was with them for years. I also tho feel some resentment that they sat on their hands for so long and allowed everyone to run right by them while telling us loyal users that everything is fine. They promise things and then yank them away using our loyalty against us to keep us hooked in.

now I know some are reading this and thinking RIM and BB does all they want. That's cool! But there are also BB users who stay because of loyalty. These users trust RIM to innovate and justify their decision to stick with BB. These are the users i think are getting screwed. I was one of them.

and as far as the troll comments from a certain user, well I would never troll crackberry.com. I love this site. I remember when it first got started and how much it has now grown. I've won crackberry contests(tetherberry) and have been immensely helped by this site and I wouldn't disrespect it that way. Like I said earlier the thing I miss most about BB is this site and the BB community.
    03-30-10 11:59 AM
    I love my BlackBerry and would not change at this time...
    03-30-10 12:13 PM
    I love my BB but when I am up for an upgrade, I will most likely be switching to the an Android phone
    03-30-10 12:37 PM
    I absolutely love my blackberry, but it gets boring. I also enjoy my iPhone, but it too bores me. I've realized once the excitement of having a new device wears off, I begin searching for another as I've probably had about 10 different models of phones in the last two years. However, I haven't tried an android phones as of yet. Honestly, I don't find android all that enticing, but I felt the same way about blackberries before I had one. At this time, I'm trying to be content with what I have so I can truly appreciate something new...and I'm waiting for the output of android devices to slow down so I can get the one that holds the title of "the best android phone" for longer than a month.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 01:41 PM
    I have a part time job selling cell phones thru a 3rd party retailer, thru which we offer phones on three different carriers, so I've had some hands on experience with various different Android devices, mostly the Droid, but also the new Backflip, Cliq, and MyTouch. For this I'll focus mainly on the Droid, as that's the one I have the most experience with.

Please take into consideration that I've never setup a Droid with my account, never logged into FB with the app, never loaded my contacts, etc, but I have used their SMS messaging, their Gmail, Android Market, Browser etc...

My problem with the Droid is I just don't really like the UI. Whenever I power the thing up and I get to the homescreen, I just don't really like what I see, for some reason it doesn't really do it for me. Now on something like the Cliq or Backflip with MotoBlur, that would make things marginally better with the Widgets and such, but the standard UI just doesn't do it for me. I personally like the layout of the BB OS, I make folders to organize my applications, hide things that I don't want to see, it's highly customizable, and don't get started with the thousands of different themes available.
    The other big thing that I don't like about the Android platform is the lack of the push notifications. I think that without those I would get bored really fast with the Droid. I love getting my FB notifications immediately, along with the push e-mail. Battery life is also a big selling point for me. Where the Droid excells in my opinion is the web browsing. It's an AMAZING device for web browsing, and Google Maps is nice on there as well.

What I always tell the customers I deal with is that if you're looking for a strong messaging device, where e-mail is one of the main things you're wanting to do, then the BlackBerry is the best choice available, but if you're looking for something more geared for the multimedia experience, then go with the Android.

I'm a BlackBerry guy 100%, I don't see myself changing anytime soon.
    03-30-10 02:44 PM
    [QUOTE=Marine One;4908334]
    I hang out here because i feel like it

the irony being that i've been a member here longer than YOU

i've probably been rocking blackberries longer than you too

im sorry you are getting butthurt...maybe you shouldn't look in bb vs. android threads if it upsets you so much.
    Hey, you got a nice phone for sure, I was a hair away from getting a Nexus One, however stuck with the 9700 and don't regret it one bit.

Also about browsing speed compared to the two, I am not sold on Andriod...at all. I know 3 other people that are close to me in my wife, sister-in-law and best friend all have Andriod devices from a mytouch, Droid and Cliq and I browse as fast as them if not faster on my 9700 using Opera5 and my Bolt 2.0 isn't far behind. Now compared to the stock BB browser, year you are right, it isn't close. Nothing a DL didn't fix.

Only thing Andriod has on BB is the app market share, which I can care less about as I have the ones I need. There are so many pointless apps on the Andriod market and iPhone it isn't even funny.

Not knocking your phone as it is nice, really nice. Just that it isn't that much better than say my phone. If you want a nicer UI and different OS with plenty of apps and browses nice and types well for a touchscreen, then it is more for you as a change, but not any better. Trust me, I used it quite often as I kept going back to try it out, just couldn't justify a new line.
    03-30-10 03:16 PM
    From what I've experienced the Android has a really nice browser. It's a lot faster than the stock browser on my BlackBerry, which I rarely use. The speed of the Android browser was similar to that of Opera Mini on my device.
    The browser is a selling point to a phone, but for some reason when I'm on my BlackBerry I always find myself visiting the same sites all the time. Most of the sites I visit load pretty fast, and they also have mobile versions that are just as nice. If I have to do a lot of web browsing, I'm usually at a PC. Since the Android is unable to load Flash sites, it's no different than me using Opera Mini on my BlackBerry.
    I agree that the BlackBerry does not compare to the amount of apps available for the iPhone an Android. Many of those apps are games, which I do not even use. Since Email and Messaging is my thing, I'm starting to feel as though my BlackBerry can still serve me good use. It's hard not to second guess my BlackBerry based on the many rave reviews about the other devices. Makes me wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side.
    03-30-10 06:58 PM
    I just got my Droid four days ago and have been playing with it the entire time. This is what I have come up with from my storm 1.

The web browsing, maps, navigation and no lagging. That's it. Now I know that those are big things and these are big things for me ( I just spent over $300 for it. The storm had a better calendar, task reminder, alarm clock, memo, Microsoft doc reader and stuff was where you thought it should be and everything felt cleaner.
    When Blackberry can fix the web browsing, maps, navigation and lagging (I no this is not a problem on other BB's) I will go back to Blackberry because I like the whole feel of my storm 1 better.

Oh on the Droid the physical key board is worthless!
    03-30-10 10:18 PM
    I have the Curve 8900, upgraded to the Moto Cliq (Im with Tmobile) and within a few weeks, I was bored with it. Its heavier, battery runs dead so fast and the touchscreen can be unresponsive at times. Sure, the free apps on the market seem appealing but everything I wanted and needed for my phone, I get on my much lighter and better battery life 8900, plus more (the OS version of the Androrid doesnt even support an animated wallpaper). Im now back with my BB 8900 and couldnt be happier. Also, the speed of the internet isnt any faster or slower on this 3G phone than my 8900. I never noticed a difference at all.
    04-09-10 08:58 AM
    I have had blackberries and I have also had android phones. The droid I took back after 2 weeks of wanting to pull my hair out. When I switched to sprint I originally had the hero and I ended up throwing it out my car window. I HATE that phone. Apps would constantly foreclose or not even open at all. I was always having to rest it. The lag was SO terrible. I went back to a blackberry after that. For me android phones that I have used were a complete fail (I said it! I know I am probably going to **** now!) and blackberries I have WAY less trouble with. If in the future one comes out that doesn't have all those problems (on a network I can use) then I would not be opposed to trying it again. But for now I am a blackberry girl.
    04-09-10 11:17 AM
    I have a Droid, Storm 2, and Bold 2.

Honestly, the Droid is better than both devices by far. The only reason I have the Storm 2 is because it has BBM (all my friends have BBs) and it was basically given to me as a gift. I like the phone but it's not as good as the Droid.

Everything on the Droid is faster and smoother than the BBs. And the web browser and app market on Droid blow away the ones on BB.

I have both devices because I like both but if I had to stick with one, it would be the Droid. Both Android and BB are good though.
    04-09-10 11:58 AM
    Android phones all seem to be either slider (I HATE SLIDER KEYBOARDS!) or fully touchscreen (I HATE TOUCHSCREENS).. So I just don't see one in my future unless they can shrink em into a BB style body........ I also love the shape of my BB.. It just feels right.. My friends droid feels like trying to use a brick and the UI seems rather blah (to me). BB def has their shapes and curves done right.... I can also respond to Email/SMS/ETC way faster than she can as the BB keyboard is perfect for speed..
    04-09-10 12:35 PM
    Android phones all seem to be either slider (I HATE SLIDER KEYBOARDS!) or fully touchscreen (I HATE TOUCHSCREENS).. So I just don't see one in my future unless they can shrink em into a BB style body........ I also love the shape of my BB.. It just feels right.. My friends droid feels like trying to use a brick and the UI seems rather blah (to me). BB def has their shapes and curves done right.... I can also respond to Email/SMS/ETC way faster than she can as the BB keyboard is perfect for speed..

I totally agree about the keyboard/shapes, etc. IMO, the BB form factor is as good as it gets for typing. Not too big, not too small. I can type with one hand if need be... perfect for me.

For me to leave BB, the phone has to have a similar form.
    04-09-10 01:01 PM
    I love the BB format (nothing beats a BB keyboard IMO), but the Market on Androids blows App World out of the water.
    04-09-10 01:04 PM
    I think if your an average consumer you will prefer, and Android phone over a Blackberry due to its consumer friendly interface and social networking abilities. Also the android Marketplace.
    04-09-10 01:09 PM
    i tried the mytouch, and it sucked.
    lag, cheap feel
    just turned me off completely.
    The Nexus One on the other hand could be a different story.
    Never seen one up close.
    04-09-10 02:18 PM
    i'm in the same boat as a few people here. i need a physical keyboard but one that doesn't slide out and one that's not virtual.
    with that being said, i'm thinking about jumping ship this summer because t-mobile is becoming a disappointment (seriously, they're not even trying anymore). i've already decided to go with cdma, so now i'm trying to choose verizon (incredible) or sprint (evo 4g).
    04-09-10 02:41 PM
    I''ve been making the rounds with smartphones for a few months. Went from a WinMo phone and tried BB. Liked it for the most part, but ditched it and tried an Android phone. Used the BB a full month, and hesitated on returning it. Used the Android for a week, and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

While Android did some things great (as many have said), I think it lacked in other areas. I had serious issues with email, especially attachments. It also had issues with MP3s, particularly with reading tags and identifying all the songs on a media card. But it browsed the web very well and had some good apps available.

The Blackberry is a solid phone, first and foremost. For basic PDA functions, it works fairly well depending on what your used to. For email it's untouchable in the smartphone world.

It really comes down to your priorities. Do you want a solid phone with some PIM features, and good email. Or do you want good multimedia, good browsing, and lots of apps, with an "ok" phone?

I eventually went back to WinMo, and am now on the hunt again to go back to a Blackberry Tour. I won't consider an Android for another year or two, hopefully, after the email has been improved. Oh, and I'm not as big on touch screens as I used to be. In fact, they are kind of a pain.

And the truth is, you're comparing apples to oranges. Both are built with different specifications, and different target markets in mind. It's not terribly fair to compare the two.
    Last edited by opskmallory; 04-09-10 at 04:36 PM.
    04-09-10 04:33 PM
    Some of the features on the Droid are nice but it looks cheap to me. I am on my second BlackBerry and there is no looking back at any other phone. I get a new BB every year. I love the keyboard on the BlackBerry. When Verizon gets the Bold, I will be getting that one as well....

Oh yeah, how could I forget about BBM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by naturalbeauty334; 04-09-10 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Stucking to my BlackBerry
    04-09-10 07:30 PM
    In the last month or so I have noticed that more and more negative comments directed at RIM and BB's in general. And this is on a site dedicated to Blackberries! They keep bringing out "new" models that look and operate pretty much the same as all their previous models. The biggest joke is when they actually make announcements that they are making one of their phones in white.

I think many are starting to feel that RIM is getting left behind in the wake of other smartphones, and so do I . And now with more Android phones coming out, especially the HTC's coming to Verizon this month, I see many saying that they are going to dump their BB's. I am one of them because I have what is probably their worst phone, the Storm1. God I hate this phone and I really can't wait to get rid of it.

To the OP, I'd say to wait till the end of this month for the HTC Incredible and/or the Nexus to come to Verizon and try one out. It sounds like both are going to be really great phones. I'm going with the Incredible because their UI seems to be more appealing than the N1.
    04-10-10 09:52 AM
    In the last month or so I have noticed that more and more negative comments directed at RIM and BB's in general. And this is on a site dedicated to Blackberries! They keep bringing out "new" models that look and operate pretty much the same as all their previous models. The biggest joke is when they actually make announcements that they are making one of their phones in white.

I think many are starting to feel that RIM is getting left behind in the wake of other smartphones, and so do I . And now with more Android phones coming out, especially the HTC's coming to Verizon this month, I see many saying that they are going to dump their BB's. I am one of them because I have what is probably their worst phone, the Storm1. God I hate this phone and I really can't wait to get rid of it.

To the OP, I'd say to wait till the end of this month for the HTC Incredible and/or the Nexus to come to Verizon and try one out. It sounds like both are going to be really great phones. I'm going with the Incredible because their UI seems to be more appealing than the N1.
    Very true in saying you can see many users of this site jumping ship. We honestly don't need analyst to tell us blackberry owners are leaving RIM you can just see how the tone of this site has changed in recent years. I can also see RIM taking steps to keep up with the time (webkit browser somewhere, threaded SMS, open gl, also a newly acquired company I can't remember the name right now) there just not keeping up fast enough. So if I were RIM I wouldn't even try I would just hone my business skills, because the consumer market is moving at a faster rate then they can run with.
    04-10-10 10:35 AM
    Originally Posted by AJFSTORM

RIM is not losing Customers. RIM is gaining more and more Customers, which has been proven in the last quarter sales from RIM.

a lot of people complain no matter what site your on, what product you own ect... go into a Iphone forum, lots of people complaining in there.. go to a Android fourm, once again people are complaining still. People will always complain no matter how good a product is. Its always been like that, and always will be like that. Its not even with just phones, its the same with any forum, cars, trucks, computers ect.... you will never go onto any forum and not read about complaints over and over again.
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 04-10-10 at 11:21 AM.
    04-10-10 11:18 AM
    Wow that's the most unfanboy comment I have ever seen you post.

You also have to remember June is coming along with the new iPhone there will be a wave of android devices. I'm sure all of these devices will take a nice chunk out of the RIM customer base.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-10 11:25 AM
428 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD