Time to upgrade. Has any Blackberry users tried an Android phone? I'd like to know their thoughts if it's just as good as blackberry or do you suggest staying with blackberry?
    03-29-10 04:09 PM
    IMO, it depends on what is important to you. I don't think you can be the email and messaging capabilities of a BlackBerry. On the other hand, the web browsing on Android is light years ahead of BlackBerry.

I've had a BlackBerry for past 2 years. I picked up a Droid Eris back in January and used it for about 3 months. Ended up coming back to my BlackBerry. The main reason was my work email through BES. Android just doesn't do a good job of synchronizing with Exchange, yet.
    03-29-10 04:17 PM
    You can personalize anroids just as much if not a little more then you can with the blakcberry OS. It mainly depends on which model of anroid you are looking at. I have used the new Motorola Backflip and take that, compare to the Eris or the Droid, there is a big difference in how it feels and performs.

Just have to go play with some live phones and get a feel for yourself
    03-29-10 04:23 PM
    I had the driod for one week.. returned it. nothing beats a blackberry. even the Iphone I had, I couldnt stand it.. back to Blackberry it is for me!
    Mrlovkim likes this.
    03-29-10 04:25 PM
    I have had the Moto Droid and the HTC eris and i keep coming back..Love my Berry...Its all up to you try the droid and if you dont like it you have 30 days to return it....
    wclark5 likes this.
    03-29-10 04:39 PM
    I went from a BB 9000 to the Nexus One and I will never go back to RIM/BB.

The twitter delay announcement on the crackberry front page is just another reason I left. The joke of an upgrade called BIS 3.0 is just another reason I left. The crappy BB software that never changes is just another reason I left. The same old hardware basically since the original Pearl 8100 is just another reason I left.

Android is so far ahead of BB it TRULY is not funny.

The only thing I miss about BB is Crackberry.com and thankfully they have an Android forum section.

I loved BB at one point but cannot imagine going back after having experienced cutting edge software and hardware(Android).

Email for me is even better. GMAIL pushes right to the device with no lag just like BB and I do not have to worry about the regular RIM outages anymore!!! Yay!!!
    ufiwi likes this.
    03-29-10 04:53 PM
    I went from a BB 9000 to the Nexus One and I will never go back to RIM/BB.

The twitter delay announcement on the crackberry front page is just another reason I left. The joke of an upgrade called BIS 3.0 is just another reason I left. The crappy BB software that never changes is just another reason I left. The same old hardware basically since the original Pearl 8100 is just another reason I left.

Android is so far ahead of BB it TRULY is not funny.

The only thing I miss about BB is Crackberry.com and thankfully they have an Android forum section.

I loved BB at one point but cannot imagine going back after having experienced cutting edge software and hardware(Android).

Email for me is even better. GMAIL pushes right to the device with no lag just like BB and I do not have to worry about the regular RIM outages anymore!!! Yay!!!

Android is NOT a cutting edge, not even close, believe me, I owned them. Why do you think I'm back into Blackberrys after owning androids?
    03-29-10 05:48 PM
    Android is NOT a cutting edge, not even close, believe me, I owned them. Why do you think I'm back into Blackberrys after owning androids?
    I could just as easily say why did I switch to android after YEARS of using Blackberries..

because android is better, that's why.

just because you went back doesn't mean it's better and the fact of the matter is that for every five people that switch to android from bb four will be glad they did.

for you to even claim BB is on par with android is disingenuous at best, misleading at worst.

android is competing with the big boys...the nexus one even beat the mighty iphone on cnet's prizefight. What has any bb done lately to set itself apart from all other mobile devices? nothing. it' an archaic software platform with an archaic infrastructure that keeps failing and causing outages.

Nexus One vs. iPhone 3GS - CNET Prizefight - CNET.com
    03-29-10 05:55 PM
    [QUOTE]
    What has any bb done lately to set itself apart from all other mobile devices? nothing. it' an archaic software platform with an archaic infrastructure that keeps failing and causing outages.
    your clueless. why do you think the Curve is still the number 1 selling phone in the world yet? Followed by the Iphone, then Storm?? RIM has 2 out of 3 of there phones in the top 3 best selling phones in the world

and sicne you hate blackberry, why do you hangout in a blackberry fourm??
    Last edited by mjbesen310; 03-29-10 at 06:02 PM.
    Swoll Pirate and Mrlovkim like this.
    03-29-10 06:00 PM
    [QUOTE=mjbesen310;4908321]

your clueless. why do you think the Curve is still the number 1 selling phone in the world yet?

I hang out here because i feel like it

the irony being that i've been a member here longer than YOU

i've probably been rocking blackberries longer than you too

im sorry you are getting butthurt...maybe you shouldn't look in bb vs. android threads if it upsets you so much.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-29-10 at 08:03 PM.
    03-29-10 06:05 PM
    [QUOTE=mjbesen310;4908321]

your clueless. why do you think the Curve is still the number 1 selling phone in the world yet? Followed by the Iphone, then Storm?? RIM has 2 out of 3 of there phones in the top 3 best selling phones in the world

Because of BOGO's and the fact that they are sold by 5,345,648 carriers.
    03-29-10 06:06 PM
    Marine One;4908334][;4908321]
    and I hang out here because i feel like it
    you hang out here becuase you like trolling. That would be like me going into the Andriod forum and telling them how much I think they suck, and say, "well, i hang here becuase I like it" your trolling dude
    03-29-10 06:08 PM
    I too switched from BB (8900) to Android (Droid) and will probably never go back to BB. Just the simple fact that I was paying $30/month for slow, unreliable BIS was enough to finally make me sell the BB and jump onto the Android bandwagon. Now I'm paying the same amount for much faster and reliable data. Android and iPhone are the way to go for me as I can care less about RIM/BBs now.
    you make a great point!

In the last 4 days I have downloaded 4.19 GB of data on my nexus

Can you imagine how long and how many battery pulls it would take to squeeze 4 GB of data thru a BB?
    jonathon.94 and ufiwi like this.
    03-29-10 06:11 PM
    03-29-10 06:13 PM
    you hang out here becuase you like trolling. That would be like me going into the Andriod forum and telling them how much I think they suck, and say, "well, i hang here becuase I like it" your trolling dude
    like I said if you're going to get butthurt don't read android vs. BB threads.

If I were trolling I would be going in to specific device forum sections and talking smack and I am not doing that. I post in the appropriate threads.

and quit playing moderator. there are real ones here and if you have an issue then report my posts.
    Maliberti, ufiwi and samodelkin like this.
    03-29-10 06:13 PM
    On a more positive note.....

I've been contemplating on whether my next phone will be an upgraded BlackBerry model or the Android. I went to my local Verizon store to test it out. The browser on the Android is awesome. It's far better than the default BlackBerry browser, but Opera Mini and Bolt helps to ease the pain.
    The one thing I had a problem with, was trying to copy and paste. A ran into a few customers in the store that already had an Android, and they told me it was somewhat awkward and difficult to master. I copy and paste quite a bit, so I feel that BlackBerry will be a better suit for me now. I also love the AutoText feature on the BlackBerry. I'm still unsure as to what my next phone will be. I would like to go Android, but I have a feeling that it'll be a BlackBerry for me. People are always bashing how the BlackBerry OS is old. It's funny how features that other phones have recently added, BlackBerry has been doing those same things for years. It's not the flashiest of OS out there, but it works....and works well.
    03-29-10 06:25 PM
    it is true copy and paste is better on blackberry. for instance you cannot copy from gmail on android. there are work arounds but it's a pain not being able to easily copy and paste say a new crackberry password from gmail if you happen to forget it and have a new one sent.

I also loved bolt when i was rocking bb. it's a fantastic alternative to the stock browser, imo.

but yeah if you are HUGE in to copying and pasting BB might be the better fit. It was a downer for me but then again I found it easier to wait for decent C&P than waiting for a good browser.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-29-10 at 06:32 PM.
    03-29-10 06:29 PM
    I use both an Android and a BlackBerry. Why? Because both devices have their strengths and weaknesses. I use BlackBerry for email, phone calls and organiser, while I use Android for web browsing, videos, third-party apps and a bit of testing (I'm also a software developer).
    Seriously, this combination gives me the best of both worlds. If I am forced to use only a single smartphone, I would probably go with the BlackBerry just because it satisfies my core needs better (well, to tell the truth, I've got addicted to BB push email).
    From user's standpoint, any BlackBerry device can be described as "great phone and emailing device with extended functionality", while an Android device is best described as "powerful handheld computer with phone functionality as an afterthought". So, choose what functionality do you need most, and make a decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 06:31 PM
    i have the 9700 and the nexus one... and to tell u the truth.. only reason i havent fully jumped ship is cuz of bbm and my company using bes... but Android is RAPIDLY growing.. and soon ....blackberry will need to get it together in order to compete.
    03-29-10 06:38 PM
    I hear a lot of people raving about how wonderful the browser is. If and when the BlackBerry get the WebKit browser, will it be in the running again?
    I also hear a lot about the Android Market Place, but what kind of apps do they have that may sway BlackBerry users to jump ship?
    03-29-10 09:30 PM
    I've been with BB for about three years or so, and I love it. I've used my wife's MyTouch 3G on and off (usually to help her understand what she's doing), but I'm happy with my 9700. I have no plans on switching away from BB Nation any time soon.
    03-29-10 09:36 PM
    I have to admit those Android phones are mighty tempting.
    But they have got to do everything my BlackBerry can do before I'd ever give them a real serious thought. Also, come out with a phone that at least looks like a BlackBerry! Need that keyboard....
    03-30-10 12:25 AM
    Wow! Marine One responded to a thread titled "Android vs. BlackBerry" by a person who ASKED for people's opinion on which platform is better and you call him a Troll because he has a different opinion of you? Very lame, dude...

It's Fanboy's like mjbesen310 who will be happy with generation after generation of RIM releasing the same ole stuff in a slightly different case. You asked why the Curve 83xx is the best selling smartphone? It's available everywhere. You can get 'em for free just about everywhere. If not free, they're usually BOGO. Even giving away free handsets counts as a "sale" in those meaningless numbers of "best selling smartphone".

To jjvnc:

I love my BlackBerry because I have yet to find a Smartphone with a better keyboard. I don't like/want a touchscreen device. Hopefully, the WebKit browser puts a little life back into the aging BlackBerry platform. Unfortunately, like Marine One said, who the heck knows when they'll actually release it? Throw us a bone RIM...at least let a beta version leak out to the masses soon!!

I've done a bit of comparing with different Android handsets to my BlackBerry (as I did with the iPhone) and I feel sort of the same way... If you're looking for a device that does messaging first and foremost then get a BlackBerry. Between the insanely awesome keyboard on the 9700/9630, the killer speed at which Gmail/Yahoo accounts hit your device and the wonderful BlackBerry Messenger - messaging on a BlackBerry is unequaled.

If you're looking for a slightly more "well-rounded" device. Kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none", then I would go the Android route. I can't really speak intelligently on all of the different Android devices, but I can tell you that I really liked the Nexus One and the Droid (minus my longing for a physical keyboard). If you're going to be using the device to entertain yourself often (browsing the web a lot or playing games) the BlackBerry doesn't equal Android (or iPhone) in my opinion.

Seriously, you really have to ask yourself: What is the most important function of my smartphone to me? If the answer is messaging, go with BlackBerry. If its anything else - BlackBerry is still good...but other devices are definitely better.

Good luck!
    Last edited by alb123; 03-30-10 at 03:10 AM.
    03-30-10 03:08 AM
    You guys are funny and helping me get to quitting time at work.

An old subject, that I see all over. My take is BB's WORK and very well. Business focused, practical, and with some fun features. The number one reason for me to have blackberries over the past five or six years is the calendar. Smooooth as butter. And MyCaption (Voice to Text) only for BB's is great.

I like the Nexus One, but can't find one to play with. Not ordering site unseen. I want a bigger screen for my aging eyes and flash. When android gets that I will switch. I can now give up the BB calendar since I switched to gmail and google sync for mobile. It has been flawless. Android 2.1 has voice-to-text and free turn-by-turn nav. With google sync and a web based calendar, not as much typing gets done on the BB, so an "inferior" calendar will suffice. The touch screens have kept me away form nice phones like iphone and android. That is now becoming less of an issue.

To the OP, try them out. You will get 100 different opinions on sites and hands-on is the only way. A number of people have both. BB for the work week, Android etc for the weekend.

I don't know that length of time on a forum matters. I have been on other BB forums for years and still know very little compared to most posters.

My humble opinion,

Ken
    Last edited by rugmankc; 03-30-10 at 10:35 AM.
    Daisy1960 likes this.
    03-30-10 10:33 AM
    I agree that there are some things that the Android does better, but there are clearly things the Blackberry does better too. Also, for those that hate the stock bb browser, use Opera Mini, its leaps and bounds better than stock and comparable to the Android and iPhone browsers.

Given the fact that in the coming months, OS 6.0, Flash, and webkit will be out, I'm willing to stick with RIM. If after all that stuff comes out, I feel RIM is still in the past, then I will consider a change, but I'm very satisfied with how things work on my Storm2 right now.

Things i use my phone for:
    Email, texting, bbm, skype (Blackberry is the best)
    Internet browsing (Android and Apple are better, but Opera levels it a bit)
    RSS Feeds (Don't know the comparison, but Viigo does everything I'd ever want, so I'm more than happy)
    Sports (ScoreMobile give me what I need, but BB is lacking in this department)
    Phone (Blackberrys are the best of the big 3)
    Games (Lacking BIG time, but I have found some gems in the Blackberry App World)
    Clicky Screen!!!! Basically adds a whole nother dynamic to using a touch screen. Non clicky screens feel very outdated, kind of like a mouse without a right click.

All in all, I am sooooo happy with my Blackberry and have NO interest in changing to anything else at this point.
    03-30-10 11:10 AM
428 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD