So I went phone shopping with a friend of mine. He is a 9900 user and a confirmed BB fanboy but he had the itch of having a plaything.
    Long story short we centered on Androids.
    Saw the Droid Razr and a HTC and was blown away. The graphics, transitions etc were sweet. The 8MP camera was awesome. Macro shots were like a pro camera.
    I can totally see the love for Android by its users. My mouth was watering on the sheer gadget value of the device.

One thing I noticed was that it took a 1.5Ghz dual core Android to match the scrolling and flicking of the 9900.
    Would I leave my BB? NO. The phone dialling, notifications, etc were nowhere near the BB. The BB gets things done quickly and in a no-nonsense manner.
    It takes a couple of taps to dial a number.
    Android is like a woman, it takes lot of rubbing to get it working . BB is like a guy, press a button and its good for action.
    Do I want to buy the Droid Razr as a second device ..YESSS....
    Will I leave my BB 9900, not a chance in he!!.

Long story, but I must admit that as a confessed BB fanboy, I get the Android and the fan following. The iPhone not so much.
    Guatiao and bbui4 like this.
    12-10-11 12:20 PM
    I have an Android. And I want to get rid of it. It was good at first. Now its glitchy and I hate it. Android does have a lot of games. But they are only fun for a day or so. Then I just get bored of them. I dont know if its cuz im getting older or what. I would rather turn on my ps3 and play call of duty lol.
    12-10-11 12:45 PM
    AsBloodRunsBlack
    I felt the same way with my old Android. I was downloading games like crazy
    then I got bored of them and didn't find any else to download and realized I was
    now stuck with a Big phone with a small battery.
    I do like the new Droid Razr it's a great looking phone and really thing
    just not for me.
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    12-10-11 12:53 PM
    Don't get me wrong guys. I loved the Droid Razr's kevlar back and the 8 MP camera and the whole UI.
    I didn't like the fact that it took me a couple of swipes to get the phone app on and dial a number.
    As a communication device, I still maintain that the BB is beyond par.
    The OS 7 multimedia features are also very good. And just the way the BB is layed out, from managing connections, ringer profiles is simply awesome.
    I wouldn't trade my BB for anything.
    However the Androids have the appeal factor. The Droid Razr was delicious. It can't be my primary device, but I can see why the Android fams love it.
    12-10-11 01:29 PM
    Believe me, Androids can be customized to be just as fast and efficient (and even more so) than BB's for most functions. Trying a phone in the store is just the tip of the iceberg, as once you really sit down and explore the phone, you'll see it's much more than just a good looking "gaming" device.

I'm not here to try to "promote" or to "sway" people..because I could honestly care less. BB's are great at some things, and Androids and iPhones others. It's completely preference. I LOVE to customize and tweak my phone. This started with BB's and some of the customization I could do on it, but ultimately it wasn't enough, and I wanted even more things to play with.

But trust me when I say, I can bring up the phone launcher in one "tap", and can also direct dial anyone I have set up with on "tap". No multiple swipes or taps needed..and I can set this up from any Android..not just specific ones.
    12-10-11 01:36 PM
    @ RickRoller,
    Point taken. My wife has an Android and I love fooling around with it.

But for me BB is still tops. I totally get when you say that you want more customisation, I like that too. But the BB way of doing things works for me so well that I can't bring myself to have the Android as a primary device.

As an aside, while I was there there were two couples (with hot wives, hence my interest ), who were looking at phones and I did my bit for the BB.

This one couple had a list of phones they had shortlisted and the BB was amongst that list. The guy had a question regarding FM app for BB. The sales person said that there is no app. I couldn't help but showoff Nobex radio to the guy. It even had local Indian channels. I told the guy that Nobex was free till 31st Dec. Even the sales people crowded around me for the demo.
    The guy eventually picked up the new Curve Touch. I notched that one up for Crackberry
    12-10-11 02:14 PM
    @ Rickroller. I agree that u can do alot of customizing. But after u customize and download everything u want, your Droid runs slower and becomes more glitchy. I get so frustrated with the text msging on them. I tried so many keyboards and they all suck. And the graphics for all the games are not that great. This is just my opinion though. And maybe it was just the phone i got. But at first it ran so smooth and great. But after I downloaded a few apps and games i ended up with problems. Not trying to start anything, its just what i found with my droid. And actually my gf has a Droid too. Its the galaxy S I believe. Same thing with hers. Amazing at the start now it so slow and glitchy. If u want something for games get a ps3 or xbox360. If u want something small get a PSP.
    12-10-11 02:30 PM
    Gotta say, enjoying BBM. My family's kind of "locked in" on it now, and it's great for sharing calendars, tasklists, etc.

Yes, I know I could replicate it with Google apps on an Android (or even *gasp* iPhones), but I'd have to replace all my family members phones at the same time.
    12-10-11 02:37 PM
    I don't mind gaming on my Android (though I just don't have the time). Games play quite well. But to your point (#7), no, not all Android devices are created equal.

I guess the reason I had to change was I just was not as productive on my BB anymore. Not enough functionality with regards to the things I need to do.
    12-10-11 02:38 PM
    @ Rickroller. I agree that u can do alot of customizing. But after u customize and download everything u want, your Droid runs slower and becomes more glitchy. I get so frustrated with the text msging on them. I tried so many keyboards and they all suck. And the graphics for all the games are not that great. This is just my opinion though. And maybe it was just the phone i got. But at first it ran so smooth and great. But after I downloaded a few apps and games i ended up with problems. Not trying to start anything, its just what i found with my droid. And actually my gf has a Droid too. Its the galaxy S I believe. Same thing with hers. Amazing at the start now it so slow and glitchy. If u want something for games get a ps3 or xbox360. If u want something small get a PSP.
    I got the same response from the guy from whom I buy my phones from.
    After we demoed the phones in a chain store, my friend and I went to our regular phone supplier as he gives us a bigger discount.
    He had the latest Sony Ericsson Android (he gets demo pieces from all the manufacturers). He showed it to my friend and immediately we noticed that lag and hiccups. When I pointed it out to him, he said that the lag and sketchy scrolling was because he had downloaded a lot of Apps and his base memory of 8 GB was almost full and he had a 32 GB card on that.

When I pointed out that my BB 9900 was also as much full but showed no lag, his response was, and I quote " Don't compare the 9900 with Androids. Its a class apart". his words not mine.
    And he gets all demo phones to use as his personal phone, from SE, Moto, BB, Samsung, HTC etc. He basically told us that we shouldn't expect BB level of performance if we want to use the Android features, for whatever that's worth.

However, I still maintain that Androids have their own appeal. If I wasn't so much into the BB way of things, I can totally see myself getting an Android.
    Again the iPhone 4S was a disappointment. The Androids do everything so much better than the iPhone 4S, I was just wondering why would someone buy the iPhone over the Androids.
    Yes the BB's are different and the Androids have a different priority, but the Androids and iPhone have the same selling points and the Androids are just better at whatever the iPhone does. This explains why Androids have been outselling the iPhones.
    12-10-11 02:47 PM
    Again, not arguing (I like the civil debate), but the reason I and a few "techie" friends left BB was the lag. I couldn't use my phone, and memory drain was ridiculous.

Not having to do battery pulls is gold in and of itself; I don't have to kill programs or the like.

I do clear cache every no and then, but in my limited experience, BBs do not handle as smoothly as even older Android devices (admittedly, I have not spent extended time with an OS7 device).
    12-10-11 03:01 PM
    I got the same response from the guy from whom I buy my phones from.
    After we demoed the phones in a chain store, my friend and I went to our regular phone supplier as he gives us a bigger discount.
    He had the latest Sony Ericsson Android (he gets demo pieces from all the manufacturers). He showed it to my friend and immediately we noticed that lag and hiccups. When I pointed it out to him, he said that the lag and sketchy scrolling was because he had downloaded a lot of Apps and his base memory of 8 GB was almost full and he had a 32 GB card on that.

When I pointed out that my BB 9900 was also as much full but showed no lag, his response was, and I quote " Don't compare the 9900 with Androids. Its a class apart". his words not mine.
    And he gets all demo phones to use as his personal phone, from SE, Moto, BB, Samsung, HTC etc. He basically told us that we shouldn't expect BB level of performance if we want to use the Android features, for whatever that's worth.

However, I still maintain that Androids have their own appeal. If I wasn't so much into the BB way of things, I can totally see myself getting an Android.
    Again the iPhone 4S was a disappointment. The Androids do everything so much better than the iPhone 4S, I was just wondering why would someone buy the iPhone over the Androids.
    Yes the BB's are different and the Androids have a different priority, but the Androids and iPhone have the same selling points and the Androids are just better at whatever the iPhone does. This explains why Androids have been outselling the iPhones.
    I agree with this when it comes to stock iPhones, but with a jailbroken iPhone you can do everything Android can do and more. The iPhone's UI is also a lot smoother than Android's.
    12-10-11 03:14 PM
    I agree with this when it comes to stock iPhones, but with a jailbroken iPhone you can do everything Android can do and more. The iPhone's UI is also a lot smoother than Android's.
    That is so true.
    I checked out the Samsung Galaxy Note. First off, that phone is neither a proper tablet nor a phone. Its too big for a phone and too small for a tablet.
    Having said that, the specs on paper are just awesome. 1.5 ghz dual core, etc etc.... but the UI is so laggy and has so much jitter. In comparison the iPhone is VERY smooth.Almost at par with the 9900 UI ( flame suit on ).

I tried the HTC Sensation XE with 1.5 Ghz dual core and 1GB ram, and that was just as good in smoothness as the iPhone 4s. But then the battery on that thing is appalling. Even the salesman admitted that. The iPhone 4S achieves the same smoothness with a 1Ghz dual core and better battery performance. But the Camera on the HTC Sensation XE...wow....the iPhone camera is nowhere near that one. Even though both are 8MP. Again there is a lot of give and take between the devices.

All round performance.....has to be the 9900. Sorry but my bias for BB comes through again and again.
    12-10-11 03:33 PM
    Interesting conversation in here. Just here to see the opinions.
    12-10-11 03:45 PM
    One thing which impressed me about the iPhone was Numbers, Pages and Presenter.
    That is wow. But here again the Moto Droid RAZR trounced the iPhone with the MsOffice suite preloaded on it.
    I used DocsToGo, which comes preloaded on the 9900, for the first time yesterday. I was in a pinch and I had to send an Excel sheet to my customer. I tried with my PB first and the DocsToGo on that was just frustrating. I finally switched to my 9900 and I was able to make the spreadsheet, format it for fields etc and sent it. All done on my 9900.

But the Msoffice on the Droid RAZR brought a smile to my face.
    BBX phones better have MsOffice on it or it would be in for a world of pain.
    12-10-11 03:56 PM
    I'm on my third Android phone and I have yet to deal with these 'hiccups'. I have 172 non-system apps (or whatever you'd call them...the ones not native to the phone) installed on my phone. I still have plenty of app storage open. I like to check out other peoples Android phones and I typically don't see a lot of storage space issues even with a lot of installed applications.

Even out of the box, none of my phones have ever taken more than 1 click to get to my dialer or 1 click to get to my texting. When playing with display models, I can't remember an Android device that didn't have a one click shortcut to the texting and calling. It's weird that some of y'all are finding it taking so many steps just to make a phone call.

I'm with Rick Roller and it matters not to me what people use (well, I forbid the purchasing of Apple products in my house until they stop suing everyone). And I'm with Tre in that after using Blackberry for years, I got very frustrated with lag, freezing, battery pulling, and a majority of my emails truncated. There's nothing more frustrating than having to pull out your laptop to read most of your emails in their entirety. I'll admit that Quicklaunch made my Berry quick but I have folders or Circle launcher that makes my Android phone just as quick to get to anything as my Blackberry was.

Anyway, it's strange how two people get a completely different experience with a phone brand.
    12-10-11 04:52 PM
    I have 172 non-system apps (or whatever you'd call them...the ones not native to the phone) installed on my phone..
    Off topic for a sec. 172 apps? Do you even know what they all are or do?

Not trying to start anything just curious LOL. That is a lot of apps!
    12-10-11 04:58 PM
    I miss the customization of Android. I wish I could move the clock, date, battery icon etc around on my BlackBerry.

I tried to make a theme but I'm such a beginner and I don't have time to learn it. Ugh.

I like the stock theme but I hate the dark banner at the top!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-10-11 at 05:19 PM.
    12-10-11 05:15 PM
    Again, not arguing (I like the civil debate), but the reason I and a few "techie" friends left BB was the lag. I couldn't use my phone, and memory drain was ridiculous.

As mentioned not all Android phones are created equal. Same is true with BlackBerrys now to a larger degree with the OS 7 devices. I had a Tour and there is a night and day difference in that and the new Bolds. It would be like comparing a Droid Bionic to the old Droid Eris. Not even close.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-10-11 05:20 PM
    Off topic for a sec. 172 apps? Do you even know what they all are or do?

Not trying to start anything just curious LOL. That is a lot of apps!
    lol, that's exactly what I thought too when I went to see how many apps I had. I just went through a cleaning after realizing how many apps I had installed. I'm down to 112 now. A lot of them were games I don't play anymore, different calendars, different launchers.

So a big thanks to this thread...I just got some phone spring cleanin done
    12-10-11 05:45 PM
    lol, that's exactly what I thought too when I went to see how many apps I had. I just went through a cleaning after realizing how many apps I had installed. I'm down to 112 now. A lot of them were games I don't play anymore, different calendars, different launchers.

So a big thanks to this thread...I just got some phone spring cleanin done
    LOL well at least you got your say and motivation to clean some off.
    12-10-11 05:48 PM
    love my droid, I live near RIM and the majority of people I know have blackberry's so Ive gotten to play with a lot of the different models and I just never liked the keyboard, I also dont like the small screen on most of the phones. I decided to go with a droid because it's purely for my entertianment lol, I have the Nexus S so the basics with no proprietary apps or anything. Ive never had any lag issues, I can get to my phone and any app very simply, i also customized the crap out of it. Neither android or BB are better then the other, they just have different setups and slightly different focuses. It's all subjective.
    12-10-11 09:18 PM
    "Android is like a woman, it takes lot of rubbing to get it working . BB is like a guy, press a button and its good for action."

"I was downloading games like crazy then I got bored of them and didn't find any else to download and realized I was now stuck with a Big phone with a small battery."

"As a communication device, I still maintain that the BB is beyond par."

Pretty much sums it up and LOL at the second quote haha.
    12-10-11 10:14 PM
    love my droid, I live near RIM and the majority of people I know have blackberry's so Ive gotten to play with a lot of the different models and I just never liked the keyboard, I also dont like the small screen on most of the phones. I decided to go with a droid because it's purely for my entertianment lol, I have the Nexus S so the basics with no proprietary apps or anything. Ive never had any lag issues, I can get to my phone and any app very simply, i also customized the crap out of it. Neither android or BB are better then the other, they just have different setups and slightly different focuses. It's all subjective.
    Don't know that I could disagree.
    rquinn4 likes this.
    12-10-11 10:34 PM
    Believe me, Androids can be customized to be just as fast and efficient (and even more so) than BB's for most functions. Trying a phone in the store is just the tip of the iceberg, as once you really sit down and explore the phone, you'll see it's much more than just a good looking "gaming" device.

I'm not here to try to "promote" or to "sway" people..because I could honestly care less. BB's are great at some things, and Androids and iPhones others. It's completely preference. I LOVE to customize and tweak my phone. This started with BB's and some of the customization I could do on it, but ultimately it wasn't enough, and I wanted even more things to play with.

But trust me when I say, I can bring up the phone launcher in one "tap", and can also direct dial anyone I have set up with on "tap". No multiple swipes or taps needed..and I can set this up from any Android..not just specific ones.
    My brother has the samsung galaxy and i love what he did to it. awesome tweaking and i think that's the winning edge of most androids (i think). i once considered an HTC as my next phone although i'm leaning more towards the iphone.

the way i see things, Blackberry phones are catching up and maybe with the BB10 coming up, RIM can patch a couple of missing holes here and there (sort of a conventional thing to say these days i know) but as of the moment, id say:

communication = BB (far superior)
    communication (not too bad, and it's not like it's completely incapable of communicating), sepcs and most especially with apps and tweaks = iphone and some android phones
    12-10-11 10:54 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD