Wassup guys. Recently I've been interested in BlackBerrys for some reason, although I've never actually owned one before. I'm a T-Mobile user and this year I've had an '08 Sidekick, MyTouch Slide, and Samsung Vibrant. The MTS was definitely the most functional out of the bunch; super quick, gps was flawless, everything just worked. The Vibrant was a different story though. The gps did not work, period. The phone suffers from random freeze-ups and lag spikes which are very very annoying. And it does not have a keyboard which is a downer for someone like me. My phone is a tool, not a toy. The Vibrant is a little kids toy; it's made for people who want to watch hi-def videos on their phone and play games. Not the phone for me. These android phones with 4.3inch screens don't increase my productivity at all. I simply don't need a giant brick sitting in my pocket. I watch HD video on my TV and use my computer for heavy web browsing and video feeds, period.

A few weeks back I saw the first pictures/footage of the BlackBerry Torch. Oh my goodness, that would be my perfect phone! It is very small, has a full keyboard, and touch screen. Sadly, I do not think it will come to T-Mobile. I looked at T-Mobiles lineup and saw the BlackBerry Bold 9700.

I am very new to BlackBerry so help me out a bit. Is the Bold 9700 one of the better BlackBerry's? It releases in 2009 though. The last thing I want is to spend $500 on a phone and a better version comes out in a month or two. How often does BlackBerry usually release new models? I seriously want something like the Torch. The touch screen really comes in handy sometimes and ithe screen looks to be nearly twice a big as other BlackBerry phones. What do you guys think of the Bold 9700?

I'm not sure what I should do. I was going to wait for the G2 and already have it pre-ordered. Android is a great OS, it's the hardware that is lacking. I like BlackBerry's because they are small and sleek. These Android phones seem to be getting bigger and bigger, most of them without a keyboard and sub-par build quality. Not to mention the battery life on Android phones is terrible. My Samsung Vibrant would be dead in 6 hours whether I used it or not. That's simply unacceptable. However, the G2 will have much better battery life, but the phone is a brick.

Any advice guys? The G2 is a better overall device than the 9700, but BlackBerry is seems functional and reliable. Are there any new killer BlackBerry phones coming out for T-Mobile soon? (preferably like the torch)
    09-28-10 01:16 AM
    You can use a torch on tmo, but no 3g.

The 9780 is rumored to come out soon, so I would wait for that....2x the memory of a 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 01:18 AM
    +5MP on the 9780 vs 3.2MP camera on the 9700. But if that doesn't matter, just get the 9700 and wait for an official OS 6 for the 9700. You could also try out a leaked version of OS 6 for the 9700.

BTW, I am currently contemplating going to Android. I would like to be away from my (or any) computer. A 4.3" screen, 16GB internal memory, HDMI out, 5MP/720p camera, significantly better browser, games (I would like to play them from time to time) etc.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-28-10 at 01:52 AM.
    09-28-10 01:48 AM
    Well, you can't go wrong with the 9700, it's so small and light many times I can't feel it in my pocket, yet powerful enough to run my business on it.

09-28-10 02:13 AM
    The 9700 is definitely a good choice, but the 9780 is around the corner so you may want to wait. I hear you on the Android devices. They are good phones, but they don't last long and I had found that my productivity on Android devices have been lower because they aren't as intuitive when it comes to messaging or PIM functions. If you don't need a spectacular web browser on your phone and don't really care too much to watch movies or play 3D games on your phone, the 9700 will be a dream for you. The battery life is the best in business and the keyboard is great.

09-28-10 04:23 AM
    The 9700 is definitely a good choice, but the 9780 is around the corner so you may want to wait. I hear you on the Android devices. They are good phones, but they don't last long and I had found that my productivity on Android devices have been lower because they aren't as intuitive when it comes to messaging or PIM functions. If you don't need a spectacular web browser on your phone and don't really care too much to watch movies or play 3D games on your phone, the 9700 will be a dream for you. The battery life is the best in business and the keyboard is great.

I actually do need a fully function web browser. I looked at some 9700 footage and the browser looks pathetic. On android phones I get a full web experience, and the touch screen makes it so much easier to navigate. I could not imagine navigating heavy websites with only a track pad.

When will the 9780 come out?
    09-28-10 11:15 AM
    I actually do need a fully function web browser. I looked at some 9700 footage and the browser looks pathetic. On android phones I get a full web experience, and the touch screen makes it so much easier to navigate. I could not imagine navigating heavy websites with only a track pad.

When will the 9780 come out?
    You can try Bolt and Opera browsers, also, you don't have to use the trackpad all the time in browser, you can press T-top B-bottom Space-page down R-reload and many other shortcuts.

09-28-10 11:23 AM
    What I really want is something like the Torch, a device with a full touchscreen and slide out keyboard.
    09-28-10 11:25 AM
    If you want web browsing, stay away from the 9700. I got the 9650 which is somewhat similar but the 9650 has twice the memory over the 9700 and the browsing experience is awful and you will be disappointed. OS6 webkit an improvement but there are still a few bugs that kept me from keeping the leaked OS6 version on for now. I want full functionality of my phone so i'll check the next leak or wait til it's released I'm kind of sorry I didn't get a smartphone with a bigger screen and a touch screen option since multimedia and surfing are more important to me than instant emails pushed or BBM.

I'd like to try the Torch but I'm not switching carriers now. Plus, Verizon has the best coverage of all the carriers out there.
    09-28-10 11:35 AM
    What I really want is something like the Torch, a device with a full touchscreen and slide out keyboard.
    Then get a Torch unlocked to use on T-Mobile, problem solved, just won't have 3G....

Plus gonna have to pay outright for the device which is some cheddar to not fully function...some people need 3G...don't really need it, but can't live without it, lol!

Honestly I browse perfectly fine on the browser...and my home computer is lighting quick, but can still do with this web experience on a phone.

Might not even like the web experience on OS6...better go test drive before making an expensive experience you are not happy with...just sayin'.

09-28-10 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD