Hi,

I am a college student currently using a Droid Incredible. I am looking to switch to a Blackberry because of issues I've been having with Android. Namely, random "perks" like getting all my contacts and txt messages deleted. It also has a tendency to get bloated quickly and the battery life is horrendous. I used to own a Motorola Q9c and that was my fav phone by far. It's just too old now.

My question is if I should change to a Blackberry(or root my Incredible). I don't web browse much, mainly txt, send emails, social networking. And if I do change, what is the best Blackberry for my needs, Bold or Curve? And will I be able to upgrade the OS to BB 6?

Thanks for your time.

And I am on Verizon.
    Last edited by exceta; 05-28-11 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Carrier
    05-28-11 01:25 PM
    BlackBerry excels at communications, and the battery life will definitely be better than your Incredible. BlackBerry has one of the best keyboards as well, so if you are mostly sending emails, SMS, and chatting, you'll find it pretty easy to do.

You can find themes to help with getting the look you want (not as quickly customizable as Android, but still flexible). I always tell people when switching from BlackBerry to Android, don't expect Android to be like BlackBerry. The same is true going the other direction. Switch with an open mind and get used to the way BB does things.
    05-28-11 01:38 PM
    My question is if I should change to a Blackberry(or root my Incredible). I don't web browse much, mainly txt, send emails, social networking. And if I do change, what is the best Blackberry for my needs, Bold or Curve? And will I be able to upgrade the OS to BB 6?
    I'd say maybe go to a Verizon store and play with a BlackBerry a bit. It definately is a different experience. See if you like it

Keep in mind new BBs are due out in a few months. If you can wait, you might like them better since most have touchscreens.

Still, I'm like you, I use mine mostly for calls, texting, emails and tracking news and things via Twitter. My Bold 9650 is pretty primitive I suppose, but it does happen to do those things very well, and easily too
    05-28-11 01:55 PM
    If you don't really use applications on your Incredible, then go ahead with purchasing a Blackberry.
    I'm also big on social networking, Twitter and Facebook for Blackberry work perfect.
    I would suggest going straight to purchasing a Bold 9650, the Certified Pre-Owned ones are $30 from Verizon.
    Unless you would want to wait for one of the new BB devices to be released, but it might be awhile...

As for OS6, it's pretty much mixed for everyone.
    For me and my 9650, OS6 works perfect and has very few bugs/glitches.
    You just need to find the most stable OS version for your device.
    05-28-11 01:56 PM
    Hi,

I am a college student currently using a Droid Incredible. I am looking to switch to a Blackberry because of issues I've been having with Android. Namely, random "perks" like getting all my contacts and txt messages deleted. It also has a tendency to get bloated quickly and the battery life is horrendous. I used to own a Motorola Q9c and that was my fav phone by far. It's just too old now.

Thanks for your time.

And I am on Verizon.
    My son (18) went from HTC Dream to BB Bold and has not looked back since. He keeps his iTouch for entertainment and use his BB for everything else. He was having the same problems with with HTC as you were having, and it also randomly fade in and out during phone calls.

Most of his friends are also now on BBM so they've arrranged group contacts as well as individual contacts and I think if any one of them lost their BBs it would be like fish out of water.

Majority of the parents also have BBs for this group of kids and for us it's comforting to be able to BBM our child and know that he/she picked up the msg right away and can get back to us. I know it's not so much a concern for you in college...

However my son swears up and down that he would never go back to any other phone now that he's used the BB. In fact the old BB Bold he had finally and inconveniently went to BB Heaven and we had to go get another BB Bold for him. It was an opportunity for him to get any of the new droid phones out at the moment, but he said he couldn't live without the keyboard and his BBM.
    05-28-11 02:05 PM
    If browsing is not high on your list a blackberry will be much better for you. If you text a lot you will love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 02:30 PM
    [QUOTE=Xopher;6366458]BlackBerry excels at communications, [/ QUOTE]

This is a bogus statement. Android, iOS, and WinMo all have excellent push services.

To the op, blackberries are nice devices. But you might find yourself going backwards with apps and screen resolution. Not to mention your DInc is screaming fast compared to current blackberry phones

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    05-28-11 04:00 PM
    Hi,

I don't web browse much, mainly txt, send emails, social networking.
    If this is your primary use; you are a perfect candidate for Blackberry. Nothing is better than the bb keyboard for communication apps.

Get the 9780 Bold. Or if possible, wait for the 9900. You'll probably appreciate the extra screen size coming from where you are coming from.
    05-28-11 04:04 PM
    From someone who has done exactly what you are doing (college student, went form using a Captivate and iPhone to BB):

Right now you "think" you dont do much web browsing. What you will find out is that those few times when you really need the web browser, you will likely find it very lacking. Also, BBs (current BBs) are SLOW and extremely fragile. I would root the Incredible first and see how that works out before putting money into a new device that you have no experience with. And if its just a keyboard you want why not a Droid 2 or upcoming Droid 3? After you go that route THEN you should consider making a switch to a device like a BB. And even then do NOT get one of the current BBs. Wait for the 9900.
    05-28-11 05:28 PM
    From someone who has done exactly what you are doing (college student, went form using a Captivate and iPhone to BB):

Right now you "think" you dont do much web browsing. What you will find out is that those few times when you really need the web browser, you will likely find it very lacking. Also, BBs (current BBs) are SLOW and extremely fragile. I would root the Incredible first and see how that works out before putting money into a new device that you have no experience with. And if its just a keyboard you want why not a Droid 2 or upcoming Droid 3? After you go that route THEN you should consider making a switch to a device like a BB. And even then do NOT get one of the current BBs. Wait for the 9900.
    Newer blackberrys are only fragile cosmeticay, they can withstand many many drops and even pieces come off them and still work. OS6 has improved browsing a lot, been browsing quite a lot today on EDGE and it's very fast.

05-28-11 05:36 PM
    Newer blackberrys are only fragile cosmeticay, they can withstand many many drops and even pieces come off them and still work. OS6 has improved browsing a lot, been browsing quite a lot today on EDGE and it's very fast.

Yea my experience is purely anecdotal. I personally find the OS6 Browser as improved but still lacking. And I am on my 3rd Curve 3G due to failed trackpads + really bad memory leak.
    05-28-11 05:50 PM
    Yea my experience is purely anecdotal. I personally find the OS6 Browser as improved but still lacking. And I am on my 3rd Curve 3G due to failed trackpads + really bad memory leak.
    Sorry but did you really return phones for memory leak?

05-28-11 06:08 PM
    Guess he hadnt figured out that his memory leak is an app he downloaded yet.

To the OP, I am partial to Blackberry because of the physical keyboard and besides that I am a pretty simple guy and if it works no need to change it, and BB works for me. To address the slow browser though, their are other options such as Opera Mini, and Bolt that run on the BB and speed things up quite a bit.
    Last edited by bigdaddyII; 05-28-11 at 09:28 PM.
    05-28-11 09:26 PM
    Sorry but did you really return phones for memory leak?

x1 for your selective reading. I sent the phone back for a faulty trackpad. And i noted the memory leak because it is more noticeable on this device than my last three berries.
    05-28-11 10:49 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up rooting my DInc and Wireless Tether is gonna keep me occupied for a bit I'll most likely try one of the new Blackberry's when they come out though and prob switch. Touch typing isn't covering for me. But the phone speed points was very valid.

Thanks again everyone!
    05-29-11 05:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD