I saw this article on the MSN front page the other day, a few hours later it was pushed off and I really had to look to find it again.

Smartphone hacking comes of age, hitting US victims - News - MSN CA

Is BB10 susceptible to this kind of hack?
    03-24-13 09:24 AM
    The main thing with the Android hacking is picking up apps outside of the normal ecosystem. Google Play and Amazon have systems in place to help catch malware.

BlackBerry also has systems in place for anything going through BlackBerry World. If you are side loading apps, it is best to get your files from better known sources, especially if they test the apps they post.

BB10 might not be as susceptible as a normal Android device, since the player is running as a virtual machine on top of QNX. The ability to root the player isn't available, so a lot of the tricks used in hacking an Android device probability will fail on the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    bmwbarrister likes this.
    03-24-13 12:05 PM
    They said in the article that the hacking gained traction in Asia because users there can't access Google and "official" android sites easily so they go to shady or unproven sites for apps. It seems like BB10 could not be hacked in the same way, at least on paper.

I thought it was interesting that this story appeared on the MSN front page, which cannot be good news for samsung, the shining jewel of android, when they're about to release their shiny new flag ship device and so-called security features. But it worked out ok since it was pushed off the front page a few hours later. I have no doubt that if it was Blackberry being hacked, it would still be on the front page today.

sent from my Atari 2600
    03-24-13 03:21 PM