I was reading an article yesterday in USA Today that was talking about how there is a real influx of scams and cell phone attacking going on with the android medium. It was saying that they are now finding that the identity thief's have moved on from the computer and on to the cell phones. It has been discovered that there is a dramatic rise in the hacking going on in the past while as compared to almost 0% just 1 year ago.

I guess ya have to really watch...as with anything...as to which "freebies" your really getting. My only hope is that whoever approves apps in the BB App World, is giving them a good check over before approving them.
    03-06-12 08:21 AM
    I don't know man. I mean the apps that are going through seem to be graded by some very strict people, then by some very lenient people. Its kinda annoying.
    03-06-12 08:23 AM
    I think Android is still a very good phone choice; but as with any phone choice, there are drawbacks. That's too bad that the hacking is getting to be like that. I've never understood hackers, virus developers, and now phone hackers... I dunno, why can't people just not have hobbies that are built on screwing other people over?
    BB10FTW likes this.
    03-06-12 10:38 AM
    Viruses are gonna happen and cell phone targeting was just a matter of time. BlackBerry however is less likely to have such problems as security is #1. Not saying something couldn't happen, just less likely. I believe I read somewhere that apps get a certain level of encryption before being available for download in App World. Correct me if I am wrong
    03-06-12 10:46 AM
    Viruses are gonna happen and cell phone targeting was just a matter of time. BlackBerry however is less likely to have such problems as security is #1. Not saying something couldn't happen, just less likely. I believe I read somewhere that apps get a certain level of encryption before being available for download in App World. Correct me if I am wrong
    That's what the linux crew said. Till that had its share of hacks and issues. We don't make perfect OSes that are 100% inpenetrable. The hackers go where they can do the most damage, reap the most rewards. Right now, that's Android phones, because of their popularity. A year from now, it might be QNX or BB10. Two years from now, it could be back to Windows.

No matter what the OS, there are ways to prevent 99% of the hacking. Antivirus, antitrojan, firewalls, etc. But there's one piece of the equation that always needs to be diligently watched -- US! Social engineering is the most valuable tool a hacker has. Getting us to help him do what he does. No operating system can make us as users more invulnerable. We have to do that ourselves.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-06-12 11:58 AM
    I believe its all about the permission given. An app is downloaded with fixed set of permission. You either allow all requested permission, or don't download the app at all. And.. if you update the app when new permission intoduced, you can only upgrade if you agree to the new set of permissions... And I believe the apps in android is not as strictly monitored as in iOS or BB coz there were few instances of virus that's in the Market for a long time, not to mention breaches of privacy because of legitimate permission given
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-06-12 12:09 PM
    Will OS10 offer the ability to enable/disable permissions for applications like previous versions of BlackBerry OS offer? Also, does the Playbook allow this?
    03-06-12 04:45 PM
    Will OS10 offer the ability to enable/disable permissions for applications like previous versions of BlackBerry OS offer? Also, does the Playbook allow this?
    Yes it does. Any installed app that requires access to other parts/functions of your Playbook will ask for permissions upon its first run.
    03-06-12 04:50 PM
    Yes it does. Any installed app that requires access to other parts/functions of your Playbook will ask for permissions upon its first run.
    Can I enable and disable each permission individually or is it an all or none type of situation like it is with Android?
    03-06-12 05:26 PM
    "Open source". That's why.
    03-06-12 05:31 PM
    the device/system itself can't do much if you keep installing tons of apps/software that you don't know what they do. Ofc you can encrypt and lock your data with 1000 passwords and force ur phone to ask you for permission every time it does something. But then you will lose too much time. Better keep track of what kind of data you have on your phone and always be prepared for the worst case. We as users are responsible for our actions and security, not the phone, not the OS and not the companies that make them.
    03-06-12 06:42 PM
    The issue with Android is that there are a lot of apps that can be downloaded outside of the Android market. Some of those apps can cause problems. When I had an Android device, I didn't download any apps that didn't come from the Android Market.
    03-07-12 04:42 AM
    No! Of course, if you don't care about the data on your phone then it really isn't relevant which is why most kids are carrying phones. At least with RIM, there is an expectation of security.
    03-07-12 06:30 AM
    The issue with Android is that there are a lot of apps that can be downloaded outside of the Android market. Some of those apps can cause problems. When I had an Android device, I didn't download any apps that didn't come from the Android Market.
    You can download outside of AppWorld for Blackberries, too. If you couldn't, Crackberry wouldn't be able to sell apps. The trick isn't to avoid everything that isn't in the app market. It's to pay attention to where you get the app and who produced it. Look at the Jared Company stuff that actually is STILL IN AppWorld. None of us who know would install their stuff on our BBs, but they made it into AppWorld and no one has removed them. So much for the app markets being safe.
    03-07-12 08:53 AM
    It always comes down to the owner. A security aware person with an Android phone will be safer and better off than an Blackberry owner who doesn't pay attention to security.

And while the media loves to scare people with stories about viruse and hackers, there still hasn't been any major incidents besides some Chinese apps, that got pulled one time.
    03-07-12 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD