Sorry if there are lots of other threads already about this, but I just don't get why BlackBerry wouldn't make Passports with Android loaded on?
    If they are still manufacturing them, surely releasing them with Android gives them a better chance of selling them.
    So my question is, what would be BlackBerry's reasons NOT to release an Android Passport SE?

on my Priv
    10-08-16 06:18 AM
    Maybe because of google screen ratio rules.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-08-16 06:19 AM
    One would think they would at least try releasing one with a taller screen (around a 3:4 aspect ratio) with either a Snapdragon 808 or 820 processor to give it a try since it's super unique in a way the Priv doesn't even come off as in the marketplace. That said I guess BlackBerry is done taking any risks.
    10-08-16 03:48 PM
    Why not make an Android Passport Slider? I would buy it .
    With laptop and Secutab specs.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-08-16 03:54 PM
    Sorry if there are lots of other threads already about this, but I just don't get why BlackBerry wouldn't make Passports with Android loaded on?
    If they are still manufacturing them, surely releasing them with Android gives them a better chance of selling them.
    So my question is, what would be BlackBerry's reasons NOT to release an Android Passport SE?
    No Passports have been manufactured for over a year already. And Android does not support 1:1 screen ratios (and as a licensee, BB is required to follow such guidelines).

But as this thread proves, BB fans don't even agree with each other - everyone wants a different device than everyone else. That's one of the reasons BB struggled so much with their hardware business in the first place.
    10-08-16 04:53 PM

on my Priv
    This Is Why There Wasn?t An Android Version Of The BlackBerry Passport
    10-08-16 05:04 PM
    Thanks for this.
    Shame a workaround was so hard to find

on my Priv
    10-08-16 08:24 PM
    No Passports have been manufactured for over a year already. And Android does not support 1:1 screen ratios (and as a licensee, BB is required to follow such guidelines).

But as this thread proves, BB fans don't even agree with each other - everyone wants a different device than everyone else. That's one of the reasons BB struggled so much with their hardware business in the first place.
    I agree. Us BlackBerry fans seem to feel a right of entitlement that BlackBerry should be making us each our dream devices. And we love to moan and despair when they don't.

That said, an Android Passport SE would please a lot of people IMO

on my Priv
    10-08-16 08:33 PM
    I agree. Us BlackBerry fans seem to feel a right of entitlement that BlackBerry should be making us each our dream devices. And we love to moan and despair when they don't.

on my Priv
    Fan tastes are disparate and picky enough that most people will be disappointed regardless what BlackBerry does.
    10-08-16 09:26 PM
    Maybe because of google screen ratio rules.
    Wrong because the Passport SE android prototype has it running apps perfectly. It's running Android flawlessly, from what I've read and seen in videos.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 01:46 AM
    Wrong because the Passport SE android prototype has it running apps perfectly. It's running Android flawlessly, from what I've read and seen in videos.

Posted via CB10
    you just gave urself the answer .... "Passport SE android prototype"
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-16 05:37 AM
    No, it's not "wrong". That prototype runs many apps poorly. Some apps don't have important controls on the screen due to cropping, or the apps have to be "letterboxed" with black bars on the sides. As the article states, even BB gave up on the idea - for good reason.
    10-09-16 11:09 AM
    Developers don't test on 1:1 screens. Google specifies rules for android certified devices because those are the rules for which their developers and 3rd party developers are designing and testing.
    10-09-16 12:00 PM
    you just gave urself the answer .... "Passport SE android prototype"
    I thought Google and BlackBerry were working on making the Passport an android device? I read an article recently that Google made exceptions for BlackBerry to run a 1:1 ratio of their apps. Hence why the prototype exists. One of CB user bought the prototype and reported everything was running fine and every app he tried worked well with the 1:1 ratio.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-16 05:31 PM
    I thought Google and BlackBerry were working on making the Passport an android device? I read an article recently that Google made exceptions for BlackBerry to run a 1:1 ratio of their apps. Hence why the prototype exists.
    Where did you read this?

One of CB user bought the prototype and reported everything was running fine and every app he tried worked well with the 1:1 ratio.
    "App worked well" and "App worked perfectly" are phrases which often have a different meaning here at CB then they would outside of CB. I've seen cases where all that meant here is that the app launched without immediately crashing.
    DrBoomBotz and anon(5597702) like this.
    10-09-16 06:13 PM
    Where did you read this?

"App worked well" and "App worked perfectly" are phrases which often have a different meaning here at CB then they would outside of CB. I've seen cases where all that meant here is that the app launched without immediately crashing.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1087045

Here is where I read about the article regarding an Android Passport SE:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1087513

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-09-16 09:14 PM
    Where did you read this?

Oh just like good old days, Instagram work great on BlackBerry 10 but I can't upload pic or video ..yeah 'work great' lol
    Bla1ze likes this.
    10-09-16 09:34 PM
    If they made a Passport Slider it would be around the 3:4 ratio and had the keyboard slide to the left instead of on the bottom like the Priv. I have the Priv and I hardly use the keyboard for communicating, I use it mostly for the mouse and Internet.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-11-16 05:23 PM
    My ideal would be if they reduced the Passport dimensions by half an inch all round. Kept the touch sensitive keyboard but made it the old 4-row style, sacrificing a bit of screen space to do, thus making the screen a bit wider than it is tall. Internal specs would be whatever they could fit in there without going backwards. I considered the addition of a toolbelt instead of restoring a 4-row keyboard but I think a toolbelt would look naff on a passport. Doubt it would happen but it's nice to dream...

Dispensed via Q10 ----{\\\\|=[
    11-12-16 03:47 AM

on my Priv
    Proof?

Your idea of 'a lot of people' greatly differs from BlackBerry's idea of 'a lot of people'
    11-12-16 04:19 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...sport-1087513/

If you're still interested.
    02-04-17 06:06 AM
    As the excitement is building around the release of mercury, I do believe if mercury does well there's a huge chance we could see priv or a passport successor.

As for passport running Android, if they want to do it they'll adjust the screen size or ratio to make it work, nothing's impossible in today's technology. Blackberry n Google were already working on passport se running android but they dumped the idea because they thought it's not worth the effort probably looking at the sales of passport n passport se. Blackberry mobile's future depends a lot on mercury's success or perhaps the future of pkb.

BabbuMaan_fanclub
    02-04-17 08:36 AM
    Mercury is the closest thing you'll ever see to a Passport or Classic type device. It's the only thing that works with Android. Lol. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-04-17 09:48 AM
    Mercury is the closest thing you'll ever see to a Passport or Classic type device. It's the only thing that works with Android. Lol. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
    It's the screen ratio, ... :-(

Oh well, a little stretch upwards might not hurt! ;-D

•   Mercurial greetings , hopefully coming soon to Planet Earth... :-D   •
    02-06-17 01:22 AM
    They could make a Passport ,Q10, Classic and even a 9900 with a Android compliant taller screen but the market is probably too small for each format.
    02-14-17 08:40 AM
41 12