After seeing these giant phones coming out, I feel nostalgic for my passport. I miss that wide screen that gave me so much more real-estate to view content and actually be productive on tasks outside of just email. I would love to see a passport running Android, even if that means sacrificing the physical keyboard and making the entire front a glass screen. It would be an insta-buy for me.
    03-10-19 09:36 PM
    I think the closest thing to a wide screen phone is the Galaxy Fold, taller and much more expensive as it may be. Using some back of a napkin math with a 4.2:3 ratio and a 7.3" diagonal it should be about 4.24" wide and 5.94" tall. While that is wider than the Passport (which is 3.56" wide and 5.04" tall), it's also much wider than the KEY2 or any other Android phone. There is also the F(x)tec 1 at 6" wide and with a QWERTY keyboard (when extended), should that ever get off the ground.
    03-10-19 10:46 PM
    I think the closest thing to a wide screen phone is the Galaxy Fold, taller and much more expensive as it may be. Using some back of a napkin math with a 4.2:3 ratio and a 7.3" diagonal it should be about 4.24" wide and 5.94" tall. While that is wider than the Passport (which is 3.56" wide and 5.04" tall), it's also much wider than the KEY2 or any other Android phone. There is also the F(x)tec 1 at 6" wide and with a QWERTY keyboard (when extended), should that ever get off the ground.
    That is the closest thing to the passport as you'll ever get.

Submitted via blackberry passport on freedom mobile HSPA+ or LTE
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-10-19 11:21 PM
    After seeing these giant phones coming out, I feel nostalgic for my passport. I miss that wide screen that gave me so much more real-estate to view content and actually be productive on tasks outside of just email. I would love to see a passport running Android, even if that means sacrificing the physical keyboard and making the entire front a glass screen. It would be an insta-buy for me.
    Sacrificing the physical keyboard?

Helllll naahh
    03-11-19 11:50 AM
    glad I'm not the only one thinking this... I loved the passport.
    03-12-19 03:57 AM
    even if that means sacrificing the physical keyboard and making the entire front a glass screen. It would be an insta-buy for me.
    I share your nostalgia, but disagree with this one small part. If anything, I'd like to see MORE PBK. For one, I'd love to have a fourth row. When I very happily owned my beloved Passport, I enjoyed its being a dedicated productivity machine. The screen width allowed for a much more enjoyable reading experience, especially with journal articles and large .pdf files. Without the PBK, I fear that there are other devices on the market who would be able to do what BlackBerry can do, except better.

One of the strengths of a PBK in my line of work is the ability to program non-English special characters and phonetic symbols which can be accessed much more easily than just the software keyboard. For me, the argument for Android BlackBerry loses a good deal of strength when we nerf it by removing the PBK
    03-12-19 06:51 AM
    I do not understand. Just make a slightly taller Passport but keep everything else the same. The screen quality was The Passport’s strength. Perhaps a flagship screen , processor, camera and price.
    03-12-19 07:20 AM
    I do not understand. Just make a slightly taller Passport but keep everything else the same. The screen quality was The Passport’s strength. Perhaps a flagship screen , processor, camera and price.
    If we remove the BB logo on top of the PP's screen and stretch the screen all the way up top, I'm not even sure we'd achieve a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio.
    03-12-19 09:57 AM
    For me, the argument for Android BlackBerry loses a good deal of strength when we nerf it by removing the PBK
    The awful sales numbers of the BlackBerry Motion agree with you!

And by "PBK" (physical boardkey) you mean "PKB" lol
    03-12-19 09:58 AM
    And by "PBK" (physical boardkey) you mean "PKB" lol
    Ouch... that's embarrassing. After reviewing my post it looks like I did that twice, too! Clearly, I wasn't typing on an accurate and intuitive physical keyboard, such as the one on a BlackBerry Passport...

...actually, I'm on my laptop... so I really don't have an excuse there. Well spotted, Boon.
    03-12-19 10:05 AM
    I too would love to keep the keyboard as it adds utility and differentiation. The difference between a passport shaped all-touch and say the motion is the form factor. But either way, I am happy that I am not alone in wanting this. I am hoping that bbmobile is listening!
    03-18-19 11:56 AM
    BB Mobile isn't in any position to take risks. That's why they have kept to the most universally-accepted portrait Android PKB form factor. And even then, they are lengthening the time between model refreshes to save money and increase the chances of profits.

The best thing you can do is buy a K2 model, because if the Key-series isn't financially successful, it is likely to be the end of BB phones entirely.

TCL isn't in the game to build up the BB brand name if it means losing money - profits are highest priority, and PKB smartphones are already a very small niche.
    03-18-19 02:25 PM
    No Android Passports will come, and I honestly would not want to see one anyway.
    03-18-19 08:12 PM