You are funny. Saying that I am talking about stuff I don't know about when you can't give anything in the way of facts.
    Do you know how much Verizon paid Motorola for each Moto G that they sold to their prepaid customers? No? You don't know? Okay, you don't know what you are talking about then.

Have fun assuming though.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-16-14 07:41 PM
    Do you?
    Nope, but you are the one who claims to know that Motorola is losing money on the $50 VZW Moto G. If you don't know what Verizon paid Motorola for the phones, then you don't know if they are making money off of them or not.

On a side note, the price is $79.99 now anyway. Is Motorola still losing money on them? Who knows? But I'm sure you'll assume.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-16-14 07:43 PM
    Blackberry has excellent value for their handsets, at least here in Canada.

$150 for Q5. ($135 US)

$200 for Z10. ($180 US)

I own both excellent phones and haven't had any issues with either. I know that the Q10 and Z30 are more expensive, but I don't own either so I won't comment on their value.

Hard to beat that although that $50 Moto G mentioned earlier does (it beats everything out there I would say), but that may have been a limited time only special to get you on verizon.
    09-16-14 07:47 PM
    Nope, but you are the one who claims to know that Motorola is losing money on the $50 VZW Moto G. If you don't know what Verizon paid Motorola for the phones, then you don't know if they are making money off of them or not.

On a side note, the price is $79.99 now anyway. Is Motorola still losing money on them? Who knows? But I'm sure you'll assume.
    Why don't you look at the financial statements? Motorola lost money (lots of it) every quarter that it was under the ownership of Google. Google lost billions on Motorola. Please dispute that..
    09-16-14 07:48 PM
    Why don't you look at the financial statements? Motorola lost money (lots of it) every quarter that it was under the ownership of Google. Google lost billions on Motorola. Please dispute that..
    And that has what to do with wether or not they made money off of the Moto G?

You do realize that a product can be profitable even if its manufacturer isn't right?
    09-16-14 07:51 PM
    Most of that money lost was in mature markets where the Moto X failed to gain traction and advertising/related promotion is very expensive. Moto doesn't even advertise the G here and probably does very little of it where it does well now like in India. It relies on online stores like FlipKart to sell most of its phones in that country.
    09-16-14 07:56 PM
    On a side note, the price is $79.99 now anyway. Is Motorola still losing money on them?
    Probably, but remember that Phone hardware is not the core business of Google, and it seems that Motorola is just a tool that is allowed to lose money in order to get hardware into people's hands to support their core business. Both Verizon, and Motorola (Google) can make money on their services after allowing a loss on the hardware. Like selling a printer below cost and destroying people on ink refills. BB has not maneuvered themselves into such a position at this point in time. They need to have added value. They do for some people (me), but not yet for enough people. I hope they survive. Not a big fan of Android, and even less so of iPhone. I was going to go into what Google really sells, and how you really subsidized those phone purchases (what is the "ink refill" component here - what is Google's core business), but I don't think you would agree and I don't think we should argue it here.
    09-16-14 08:00 PM
    And that has what to do with wether or not they made money off of the Moto G?

You do realize that a product can be profitable even if its manufacturer isn't right?
    Since the article states that the Moto G was about 5 percent margin and in Q4 2013, Motorola as a mobile division lost 23%, then everything else they sold lost a lot more than 23% to have the Moto G profitable. Considering this was a low margin item to begin with and lots of loses, you can still keep thinking that the Moto G was their best phone. Actually it was considering how much they lost on everything else. LOL
    09-16-14 08:05 PM
    I was going to go into what Google really sells, and how you really subsidized those phone purchases (what is the "ink refill" component here - what is Google's core business), but I don't think you would agree and I don't think we should argue it here.
    I'm well aware of what makes Google money. I get a nice fat Google AdSense check every single month, just like the owners of this and millions of other websites do. So believe me, I've got no problem with Google creating a very successful and effective ad platform. The more they know, the more likely others are to click my ads and the more my AdSense checks grow.

Thing of it is, I put adaway on all the Android devices in my household. Ad Blocker is on all my PCs also. One big reason I do that is so that I don't accidentally click my own ads, but it also prevents Google from profiting off those phones. I can promise you, Google has made more money off of my BlackBerry than they have any of my Androids. Crazy
    09-16-14 08:11 PM
    I'm well aware of what makes Google money. I get a nice fat Google AdSense check every single month, just like the owners of this and millions of other websites do. So believe me, I've got no problem with Google creating a very successful and effective ad platform. The more they know, the more likely others are to click my ads and the more my AdSense checks grow.

Thing of it is, I put adaway on all the Android devices in my household. Ad Blocker is on all my PCs also. One big reason I do that is so that I don't accidentally click my own ads, but it also prevents Google from profiting off those phones. I can promise you, Google has made more money off of my BlackBerry than they have any of my Androids. Crazy
    How much money has Google made off your Blackberry? You seem to challenge other peoples statements, so please back up your own.
    09-16-14 08:19 PM
    How much money has Google made off your Blackberry?
    A heck of a lot more money than BlackBerry has made off of BlackBerry 10. Lol

I said that as a joke at first, but it is kind of crazy that Google has made more profits off of BB10 devices than BlackBerry has.
    sentimentGX4 and techvisor like this.
    09-16-14 08:21 PM
    Well its not about the internal profitability of the companies. We should see what value customer is getting at.

BlackBerry was hugely popular with Os 7 and physical qwerty, and at that time they have their pricing right.

But after the era of all touch phones, BlackBerry never dropped their prices, and they started loosing their market share.

In India they were having more than 10 percent market share with Os7, and now 0.5 percent.

All companies have reduced their prices except BlackBerry over years.
    If I have to purchase any Os7 devices now also, they are of same rates as 5 yrs ago.

In India they have introduced Z10 and Q10 at Rs 45000, appx 700 Usd for unlocked devices. They were hardly selling, and they have piled up lot of inventory.

Now they are selling Z10 and Q10 here at Rs 19000 or 300 Usd.

So they never get their pricing right.

Even they will reduce the price of Z3, when no one will be buying it.

Here in India, BlackBerry has lost all its buzz, market share bcoz of wrong pricing.

I dont like android or I phone.
    I am a loyal BlackBerry fan, but I am not at all satisfied with people managing BlackBerry
    09-16-14 08:33 PM
    A heck of a lot more money than BlackBerry has made off of BlackBerry 10. Lol

I said that as a joke at first, but it is kind of crazy that Google has made more profits off of BB10 devices than BlackBerry has.
    How much? Oh right. You don't have a clue.
    09-16-14 09:33 PM
    How much? Oh right. You don't have a clue.
    Well, I typically make anywhere from 18 cents to $6 every time someone clicks one of my ads. So let's say it was on the low side and my click from my BlackBerry device only earned Google a dime in profit. Well, that's more profit than BlackBerry has made off of BB10. That one dime is enough.

Tell me, do you ever use the browser on your BB10 devices? Did you know that Google gets paid even when no ads are clicked? So just loading up a website on a BB10 device, earns google money if the website uses adsense. BB10 has cost BlackBerry billions of dollars, but at least someone is making money off of it.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-16-14 09:49 PM
    Android apps on amazon store are of low quality.
    I dont find them as good as they are in google playstore.
    low quality, oh so lower than the million or so low quality apps on google play?
    09-16-14 10:51 PM
    low quality, oh so lower than the million or so low quality apps on google play?
    The beef with the Amazon Appstore is that the apps are not updated as often as Play Store versions.
    09-17-14 01:12 AM
    Android on BlackBerry is already causing damage by cheapening the blackberry experience

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    Fatboy40 and sentimentGX4 like this.
    09-17-14 01:15 AM
    Only reason I even bothered getting me a BB is THE QWERTY KEYBOARD. It's hardware.
    I hate those huge shiny slabs that require constant finger f**ing to get anything done. PERIOD!

My point is, that BB has superior hardware but they have failed to communicate the importance of it to large crowds - fashion victims and other brainless "oh, it's black and shiny, I must have one too!"
    Apple has managed to brainwash huge crowds and every bimbo and mouthbreather out there thinks now, if he/she has a iSomething, they are special - iSheep.
    What is even more important, iSomething works in every country while getting a Blackberry phone to work correctly in a country, where it's not officially sold, is close to impossible. (do not get me started on this sad comedy aka APN bug, BBM WiFi only and several others)

If Z* what ever price is outside of your comfort zone, get a overpriced iTakeYourMoney and be a part of the clueless herd like it's appropriate to a well behaving iSheeple. (Urban Dictionary: iSheeple)

Remember, there is a danger of turning into a b-Sheeple too
    09-17-14 02:41 AM
    Only reason I even bothered getting me a BB is THE QWERTY KEYBOARD. It's hardware.
    I hate those huge shiny slabs that require constant finger f**ing to get anything done. PERIOD!

My point is, that BB has superior hardware but they have failed to communicate the importance of it to large crowds - fashion victims and other brainless "oh, it's black and shiny, I must have one too!"
    Apple has managed to brainwash huge crowds and every bimbo and mouthbreather out there thinks now, if he/she has a iSomething, they are special - iSheep.
    What is even more important, iSomething works in every country while getting a Blackberry phone to work correctly in a country, where it's not officially sold, is close to impossible. (do not get me started on this sad comedy aka APN bug, BBM WiFi only and several others)

If Z* what ever price is outside of your comfort zone, get a overpriced iTakeYourMoney and be a part of the clueless herd like it's appropriate to a well behaving iSheeple. (Urban Dictionary: iSheeple)

Remember, there is a danger of turning into a b-Sheeple too
    I also like the BlackBerry hardware.
    And I am again going back from z10 to a physical keypad device.
    09-17-14 02:51 AM
    And what's even better? Get a Passport!
    All your iSheeple friends will wet their panties in envy driven rage
    09-17-14 03:03 AM
    The guy's point is that the compition is quite aggressive when it comes to specs versus price.. There is no doubt that the security driven buyers of handsets are less than the ones who would just say why I shall pay as such amount of money for this handset when I can buy that handset that gets the job done for half price and with same specs, or for same price for double specs.

I'm not saying BlackBerry midrange handsets and lower are not or won't sell, of course they will but a wee bit less spicy pricing should boost the sales
    09-17-14 04:25 AM
    This has turned into a very painful and typical BlackBerry 'fanboy' thread, some people are very deluded or maybe chose to ignore the truth ?.

I use and support BlackBerry in an Enterprise environment (have done for years and years), and nothing beats them there, full stop. But the Z3 is intended as a consumer device first and foremost, and it doesn't have a chance in hell when competing against Google and the Android One / Android Silver projects.

A 'consumer' genuinely couldn't care whatsoever about security and QNX, all they want is a device that runs all the current apps and costs a fair amount. Until the time, if it ever comes again, when BlackBerry can afford to make a loss on hardware then they are completely irrelevant in the consumer smart phone market.
    sentimentGX4, Witmen and techvisor like this.
    09-17-14 07:33 AM
    This has turned into a very painful and typical BlackBerry 'fanboy' thread, some people are very deluded or maybe chose to ignore the truth ?.

I use and support BlackBerry in an Enterprise environment (have done for years and years), and nothing beats them there, full stop. But the Z3 is intended as a consumer device first and foremost, and it doesn't have a chance in hell when competing against Google and the Android One / Android Silver projects.

A 'consumer' genuinely couldn't care whatsoever about security and QNX, all they want is a device that runs all the current apps and costs a fair amount. Until the time, if it ever comes again, when BlackBerry can afford to make a loss on hardware then they are completely irrelevant in the consumer smart phone market.
    Who's deluded?

I completely agree that BlackBerry can't afford to sell millions of devices at a loss, and therefore cannot compete effectively at the bottom end (or any end) of the consumer market.

Chen's sights are set on selling a small number of devices sufficient enough to keep the device market in play for them (he states 10 million a year). He hopes that a good mix of mid to high end devices will generate enough sales from those who value what a BlackBerry can offer. This will allow them to stay in the handset business if only to be able to offer devices to enterprise as part of an overall service solution.

Consumers are not intended to be the end game in the short to medium term - only a means to an end in enterprise.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1xxx
    Bluenoser63 and LuvULongTime like this.
    09-17-14 08:02 AM
    I am talking in terms of use fullness and handy.

And let me tell you BlackBerry has built all its loyal fans from Os7 only.

There are many flaws in Os10

I am using Z10, and its just make the incoming calls silent in pocket, no ring, no vibration.
    I have missed a lot of calls, when u will face this, then u will know.

Another issue is signal strength. Between the calls the signal goes, and call drops.

And even BlackBerry is playing smart for Indian markets, they are selling here the lowest version of Z10 - Stl-1, which always face issues.

BlackBerry service centres here takes more than 10 days even to rectify a small issue.

All these things make me feel sad, that after going for Z10 and Os10 with so much hopes nothing is coming out.
    You seem like you are going to bash BlackBerry no matter what anyone here says.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it!!

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-17-14 08:08 AM
    I also like the BlackBerry hardware.
    And I am again going back from z10 to a physical keypad device.
    Buy blackberry classic with physical keyboard and trackpad if you don't like full touchscreen. Os bb10 is better than os7 dude.

BlackBerry Z3 OS 10.3.0.1154
    09-17-14 08:17 AM
195 ... 34567 ...