Despite the PRIV appearing to be very close to stock Android from a look and feel standpoint, it's possible that there was a lot of customization done to accommodate the PKB and other BlackBerry features. It's possible that these have to be re-engineered for Nougat.

This is just speculation, but we really can't assume that it's a simple process that BlackBerry has neglected.

Most of Blackberry's failures have come from over promising things before they were fully scoped. The PlayBook is a classic example. They fully intended to have it run BB10, but BB10 turned out to require more RAM than expected, and they couldn't deliver.

I don't own a Priv, but if I did, I would be content that it received the upgrade from L to M so long as the monthly patches and app updates were delivered. One version upgrade is typical for most Android manufacturers. I don't see Samsung upgrading their L phones to Nougat.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    What you said is totally true with the exception of the Samsung part, you Will be surprised to know that the S6/S6 edge/S6 edge + and the Note 5, which all of them came with L as OS (I don't actually Remember about Note 5 to be honest, I think it came with M, but Will die in N for sure so my example remains) along with the A series of 2016 (yeah, launching a Android L device and sell it as latest with L in 2016, It still amazes me), Will (At least for the S6/note combo) get updated to N, and they are older devices than Priv, as Dunt Dunt Dunt says, It would amaze me if BlackBerry doesn't release N for Priv, I asked CBK for what he knowed about this topic, I don't expect him to answer, not because he doesn't want to, but because BlackBerry is probably going to cut his balls if he does so
    05-04-17 11:35 AM
    I don't think its ever happening. We'll see new models with N before we see N updates to Priv and Dtek/x0.

I've got the 60 and I'd rather see a new all touch device with N to replace it.
    We can't demand BlackBerry to do so, but if they take that decition (I'm not holding breath, I have lived BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry PlayBook by myself, and I knew that buying my Priv would have these kind of "risks", however I also know that you actually said happened already, being the Aurora and K1 the new Android N devices), but, as much People have said, we can live without N, as long as BlackBerry give us security patches for the next two years (as Google do with their devices, 2 years (sometime 3) of Major updates and 1 more year of security patches) for Priv, we can say that BlackBerry is commiting support to our devices, not negating that New OS versions would be perfect, but At Last, if BlackBerry gives us regular updates to the kernel and security patches, I Will be happy
    05-04-17 11:59 AM
    With all respect, I have the latest security patch on my Priv, unlocked and bought from BlackBerry (kinda because it was the GSM " worldwide" version on Amazon), the App suite gets updated monthly and it has been becoming good and good these time, and not Just that, read the news again, the set of beta apps Just received a New beta build, so BlackBerry Android set of apps Will be getting updated this month too, see my point? There has been commitment to BlackBerry Android, I can live with my Priv if it receives security patches for the next 1 or 2 years, M is a good version, yeah N has good things but better than nothing, I prefer security patches that nothing else then
    You are correct, BlackBerry has continued to update, improve, and expand their app suite and have provided one full OS update from L to M (on PRIV only). Two issues: they have never made any official commitment in this regard, and they canned their Android OS beta testing. Any assumption about PRIV or even the DTEKs getting an update to N simply cannot be justified.

I am sure any of us who have invested in a BlackBerry Android product are fully expecting to continue to receive (at minimum) monthly security patches, but we just don't know how long even those will continue.

So while their solid track record is certainly encouraging, it provides no logical basis for making any assumptions about future support and updates. For that matter, given that BlackBerry is now officially out of the hardware business, there is no reason for us to believe ShopBlackBerry could not be shut down at any time and BlackBerry declare all their hardware products EOL.
    05-04-17 12:31 PM
    You are correct, BlackBerry has continued to update, improve, and expand their app suite and have provided one full OS update from L to M (on PRIV only). Two issues: they have never made any official commitment in this regard, and they canned their Android OS beta testing. Any assumption about PRIV or even the DTEKs getting an update to N simply cannot be justified.

I am sure any of us who have invested in a BlackBerry Android product are fully expecting to continue to receive (at minimum) monthly security patches, but we just don't know how long even those will continue.

So while their solid track record is certainly encouraging, it provides no logical basis for making any assumptions about future support and updates. For that matter, given that BlackBerry is now officially out of the hardware business, there is no reason for us to believe ShopBlackBerry could not be shut down at any time and BlackBerry declare all their hardware products EOL.
    BlackBerry can't Just come and say no more updates for DTEKS, K1 and Aurora because the manufacturers paid them because their software, sure, with Priv they can come and tell no more updates because it is their device, but with TCL and BlackBerry Merah Putih or like it is writen, they can't because they signed a contract or something like that, People like @conite or @thurask should be able to give a better response about how the licencing process affects all the update lifecycle
    05-04-17 02:31 PM
    BlackBerry can't Just come and say no more updates for DTEKS, K1 and Aurora because the manufacturers paid them because their software, sure, with Priv they can come and tell no more updates because it is their device, but with TCL and BlackBerry Merah Putih or like it is writen, they can't because they signed a contract or something like that, People like @conite or @thurask should be able to give a better response about how the licencing process affects all the update lifecycle
    BlackBerry would definitely have a contractual obligation to support the three licencees with guaranteed updates/patches. For how long, or whether or not major OS updates are included in the arrangement, is unknown.
    05-04-17 02:37 PM
    BlackBerry would definitely have a contractual obligation to support the three licencees with guaranteed updates/patches. For how long, or whether or not major OS updates are included in the arrangement, is unknown.
    What I though, I only can imagine about 2 or 3 years of Major updates, but they have an obligation with TCL and they CAN'T cut the support as nothing, well considering that no one on CB knows a thing about N for already "existing" devices, we can Just wait in silente until CBK or Bla1ze talks about
    Last edited by JohnKCG; 05-04-17 at 04:55 PM.
    05-04-17 03:36 PM
    Not too reassuring, is it?
    05-04-17 04:20 PM
    wouldn't expect any news until next month. According to reviewers, BB was pushing OS updates for the KeyOne up to yesterday so they are still figuring things out there. Nougat for other devices won't come until they think everything is working smoothly.
    05-04-17 04:29 PM
    Kinda hard to claim you're the 'most secure' Android phone when you are not even on the latest version of the OS.

https://source.android.com/security/...enhancements70

Key1 is not even shipping with 7.1.2. Only 7.1.1 based on reviews so far.
    05-04-17 04:54 PM
    Kinda hard to claim you're the 'most secure' Android phone when you are not even on the latest version of the OS.

Even my old note pro running Lineage OS handled by Just one developer have 7.1.2 with april patch (the 5th april, not the 1st one), and Keyone not being with 7.1.2 out of the box, that is a problem
    05-04-17 05:10 PM

That said, plenty of Nougat devices have been rooted, but not BlackBerry Android hardened-M.

Specifically the Pixel for Verizon was intentionally shipped with a locked bootloader. This was hacked almost immediately.
    Last edited by conite; 05-04-17 at 05:21 PM.
    05-04-17 05:10 PM
    That said, plenty of Nougat devices have been rooted, but not BlackBerry Android hardened-M.

Specifically the Pixel for Verizon was intentionally shipped with a locked bootloader. This was hacked almost immediately.
    Google doesn't care about security that much as BlackBerry tries to do, about K1 on 7.1.1, well then, my guess is that is going to be updated to 7.1.2 with May patch or subsequent patch after that one if K1 is already on May, as for BlackBerry Android not getting rooted, I would dare to say that it hasn't been rooted because of the low to inexistent interest on BlackBerry, always when I read about security of Android on Latin and spanish web blogs and BlackBerry isn't even listed, maybe if BlackBerry devices were more popular there would be more People triying to root BlackBerry Android devices and Who knows, maybe a even rooted one
    05-04-17 07:21 PM
    Even my old note pro running Lineage OS handled by Just one developer have 7.1.2 with april patch (the 5th april, not the 1st one), and Keyone not being with 7.1.2 out of the box, that is a problem
    I'm running Pure Nexus for 6p (April 5th security patch, Android 7.1.2)

I believe 7.1.2 added the gestures on the fingerprint sensor.
    05-05-17 01:06 AM

I see (systemless rooting) as a feature.

If rooting was removed, I'd probably be on iOS.

Not many people root anyway.
    05-05-17 01:09 AM

Lovely. But that's not the point.
    05-05-17 06:42 AM

Most power users would agree.... and they are the ones that everyone else follows.

But for TCL's & BlackBerry's focus on Enterprise.... locking down the bootloader was key to differentiating themselves from everyone else. That's still what will be the make or break point.... enterprise.
    05-05-17 07:11 AM
    I'm running Pure Nexus for 6p (April 5th security patch, Android 7.1.2)

I believe 7.1.2 added the gestures on the fingerprint sensor.
    Actually it did, I Wonder how fingerprint gestures would be added to the space bar finger print
    05-05-17 07:21 AM
    It's a different world today now that BlackBerry is out of the device business.

As of now, there is no indication from inside of BlackBerry that a Nougat beta is even being worked on for the Priv/DTEKs.
    I have reason to believe a Nougat beta has been worked on.. Not sure if it goes farther than that...
    05-05-17 09:52 AM
    That would break my heart a lot, on a side note, why Bla1ze or crackberry Kevin haven't made a review of it yet? And if Aurora is on sale and in consumers hands, then lets wait for the K1 to release and wait a month after the launch, then we can be totally upset about Android N update, in Priv's RAW problem, what should be the limitation that doesn't allow RAW? I mean, see At the Sony and LG Phones of previous years, there are older and weaker Phones than Priv with a complete and functional Manual camera and RAW
    Aurora is only for Indonesia.
    05-05-17 09:58 AM
    Aurora is only for Indonesia.
    But Priv and Dteks aren't in Indonesia too? I mean, if you throw N on existing devices Aurora Will lose sales, and that is bad isn't it? So with Aurora on sale Since 1 month and K1 being on sale soon I can assume we can expect news of nougat for Priv, also Remember I readed that June was a possible month for Priv N update, I Remember in one thread that someone said that an employee of BlackBerry tilde them that, @conite , @thurask , I think if there is people to track that message or people able to track some info about N for existing devices, those people are you, from now, lets Just sit and wait until the CB trinity (Bla1ze and company) talks about it
    05-05-17 11:01 AM
    But Priv and Dteks aren't in Indonesia too? I mean, if you throw N on existing devices Aurora Will lose sales, and that is bad isn't it? So with Aurora on sale Since 1 month and K1 being on sale soon I can assume we can expect news of nougat for Priv, also Remember I readed that June was a possible month for Priv N update, I Remember in one thread that someone said that an employee of BlackBerry tilde them that, @conite , @thurask , I think if there is people to track that message or people able to track some info about N for existing devices, those people are you, from now, lets Just sit and wait until the CB trinity (Bla1ze and company) talks about it
    Well, they weren't officially launched by BlackBerry but the Priv and DTEK50 can easily be purchased from Indonesian retail outlets.

The prices are going to be higher than what you would pay in North America (currency conversion aside) but they are sort of quasi-official.

If you are buying the KEYone, you are not going to be swayed by the Aurora and vice versa. They are two fundamentally different devices.

The Aurora itself is an Indonesian exclusive BlackBerry.

Made in Indonesia, for Indonesians: Our Partner BB Merah Putih Launches BlackBerry Aurora, Our Newest Secure Android Smartphone | Inside BlackBerry

Will other markets get a similar BlackBerry handset? Possibly, it was hinted at earlier. Although it would not be from BB Merah Putih as their agreement is to produce the units for the Indonesian market. Although it is feasible for a similar device (similar to like a DTEK50 refresh) to be produced by TCL for the global market.

There are a small number of people, Indonesian's included who will pick up the Aurora. There are far more choices and Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Huawei are rapidly gaining popularity in Indonesia.
    05-05-17 11:10 AM
    Well, they weren't officially launched by BlackBerry but the Priv and DTEK50 can easily be purchased from Indonesian retail outlets.

The prices are going to be higher than what you would pay in North America (currency conversion aside) but they are sort of quasi-official.

If you are buying the KEYone, you are not going to be swayed by the Aurora and vice versa. They are two fundamentally different devices.

The Aurora itself is an Indonesian exclusive BlackBerry.

Made in Indonesia, for Indonesians: Our Partner BB Merah Putih Launches BlackBerry Aurora, Our Newest Secure Android Smartphone | Inside BlackBerry

Will other markets get a similar BlackBerry handset? Possibly, it was hinted at earlier. Although it would not be from BB Merah Putih as their agreement is to produce the units for the Indonesian market. Although it is feasible for a similar device (similar to like a DTEK50 refresh) to be produced by TCL for the global market.

There are a small number of people, Indonesian's included who will pick up the Aurora. There are far more choices and Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Huawei are rapidly gaining popularity in Indonesia.
    I agree with all of that, but, isn't the K1 a sucessor to the DTEK50? Don't come At me with the fact that is a high range, 3gb of ram and a 625 (which isn't bad on every sense) already makes the K1 mid range, a very competitive mid range in 2017 with an uncompetitive price, but that is how BlackBerry works so not a newcomer in game, but I don't get why people calls K1 a high range, It reminds me more the 8520 to be totally honest than, lets say, a bold 9900
    05-05-17 11:17 AM
    I agree with all of that, but, isn't the K1 a sucessor to the DTEK50? Don't come At me with the fact that is a high range, 3gb of ram and a 625 (which isn't bad on every sense) already makes the K1 mid range, a very competitive mid range in 2017 with an uncompetitive price, but that is how BlackBerry works so not a newcomer in game, but I don't get why people calls K1 a high range, It reminds me more the 8520 to be totally honest than, lets say, a bold 9900
    It is the successor to all BB10 pkb devices and the Priv. One pkb device to rule them all.

For its designed purpose, battery life is more important than squeezing out a bit more performance from a better SoC.

The terms flagship, mid-range, and high-end are just words. Not everything fits into simple categories. The KEYone just is what it is, and remains unique.
    05-05-17 11:35 AM
    It is the successor to all BB10 pkb devices and the Priv. One pkb device to rule them all.

For its designed purpose, battery life is more important than squeezing out a bit more performance from a better SoC.

The terms flagship, mid-range, and high-end are just words. Not everything fits into simple categories. The KEYone just is what it is, and remains unique.
    That sounds better, pretty better, you know, Mobile industry is like taking industry nowadays, in past gamers Just seek for fun, now they seek for graphics, not caring about fun or history, BlackBerry cares about people Who Just want to have a good cellular Who can fullfill all their media and business needings, which is most likely BlackBerry approach target, or that is what it seems At Last, on topic, lets just wait until someone talks about the update, I see that we can be talking and talking and no official news are surfacing so, I think we Just have to wait and enjoy what we already have (which isn't bad actually)
    05-05-17 11:44 AM
    No one was saying it was a high end device. My post also did not mention this. Reading into the lines a bit

I was implying it's a mid range device, the Aurora is an entry level device. Take a look at the specifications and you will see the divide.

Furthermore, the keyboard is a big selling point. If someone wanted to buy the Aurora, they would do so, the physical keyboard may not be so important to that potential buyer and therefore they will purchase that particular device (if they wanted to) regardless of the KEYone.

Same is true in the other direction. I would not be purchasing an Aurora if I wanted the physical keyboard, it simply wouldn't make sense.

Contracts are still the norm in North America, there is a push to try and get that to change, however the truth of the matter is that phones are expensive, contracts alleviate these upfront costs, although with increasing contract prices, there will be an uptake of contract free devices being purchased in North America. Also, working at two of the largest carriers in Canada, there are a lot of discounts that can be given to "seal the deal" for a new customer. So I wouldn't be surprised if you hear that people are getting KEYone units for less than 100 dollars on a two year term (a 50-75 dollar hardware discount is not unheard of, it's also pretty common to see).

It's not a successor to the DTEK50, more like a Q10/Classic successor if anything.
    05-05-17 11:53 AM
128 1234 ...