Yes I said it.

I think the Android move is genius. Success in the Android market isn't guaranteed to bring a profit. In fact the odds are against Blackberry, but maybe immediate profit is not the goal. Stay with me....

Maybe the goal is simple, sale a phone that people will buy-profits be damned. What if the goal here is not profit-based, perhaps the goal is BRAND REPAIR. What if the goal is simply to have the 'Blackberry' name on a successful phone-regardless of profit.

Change people's perception and profits will follow. I think Chen is thinking for the future. And I think using Android as a tool to advertise the Blackberry brand is slick-if that's the purpose. I personally look forward to the hybrid. Just my take.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-13-15 08:52 PM
    There was just an report on NPR about how HTC is on the verge of Bankruptcy because the Android Phone Market is fickle. Buyers look for the least expensive phones with the most features, and PRICE WINS 90 percent of the time, trumping brand. There is very little loyalty to brand other than Samsung's highest end phones. But that's only 5 percent of the world market on Droid. The other 95 percent is price price price.

Entering the Droid market for the sake of selling a phone is not a wise move. This is a product flooded market, and If I were holding the Berry Reigns, I'd be slowing the mule team big time before jumping on the Droid market. If HTC is on the verge of chapter 7, any newcomers has better have a feature rich and very inexpensive phone to TRY and compete. Doesn't sound like a BlackBerry Sales Model to me.
    08-13-15 09:01 PM
    There was just an report on NPR about how HTC is on the verge of Bankruptcy because the Android Phone Market is fickle. Buyers look for the least expensive phones with the most features, and PRICE WINS 90 percent of the time, trumping brand. There is very little loyalty to brand other than Samsung's highest end phones. But that's only 5 percent of the world market on Droid. The other 95 percent is price price price.

Entering the Droid market for the sake of selling a phone is not a wise move. This is a product flooded market, and If I were holding the Berry Reigns, I'd be slowing the mule team big time before jumping on the Droid market. If HTC is on the verge of chapter 7, any newcomers has better have a feature rich and very inexpensive phone to TRY and compete. Doesn't sound like a BlackBerry Sales Model to me.
    I can also add customers want Android updated on their phones as Google releases them. I know more than a handful of my friends leaving Samsung just because of this, things not updated as quickly as they should.
    thymaster and cribble2k like this.
    08-13-15 09:04 PM
    Who really knows what BlackBerry's road map really is.

There has not been a clear statement in nearly 2 years beyond the "enterprise" and even that strategy is severely fragmented.

BB10 is extraordinary. What is extraordinary about Android beyond the fact that it, too, suffers from fragmentation in its deployment across versions, carriers, and manufacturers?

BlackBerry Q10 driven by 10.3.2.2339 on T-Mobile
    08-13-15 09:05 PM
    Yes I said it.

I think the Android move is genius. Success in the Android market isn't guaranteed to bring a profit. In fact the odds are against Blackberry, but maybe immediate profit is not the goal. Stay with me....

Maybe the goal is simple, sale a phone that people will buy-profits be damned. What if the goal here is not profit-based, perhaps the goal is BRAND REPAIR. What if the goal is simply to have the 'Blackberry' name on a successful phone-regardless of profit.

Change people's perception and profits will follow. I think Chen is thinking for the future. And I think using Android as a tool to advertise the Blackberry brand is slick-if that's the purpose. I personally look forward to the hybrid. Just my take.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BlackBerry is expensive for old product like Z30 and expensive for BlackBerry Leap with specs dual-core Qualcomm processor Snapdragon. Beside, the apps are less compared Google Play Store. Let's what will happen next.

Posted via CB10
    Robert Roger likes this.
    08-13-15 09:09 PM

Actually this is exactly why BlackBerry may actually have a chance at selling something in there, simply because people seem to not stick to what they have and are willing to try something new.

Who cares if they don't stick around after they buy the slider, if BlackBerry could get 0.1% churn rate out of the 1 Billion users floating around. Then that's better volume of sales than BB10.

I know that's a low bar,.. but.. they set it.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt, mset and DueNorthBB like this.
    08-13-15 09:12 PM
    You have to remember, HTC's only means of business is through handsets. Evidently, that's not the case with BlackBerry, or we wouldn't be having this discussion today. Furthermore, HTC's downward spiral has more so to do with their Apple like approach to their flagship device in the HTC one. Minimal changes from the M7 till now to the M9 on all fronts, not to mention a camera that's supposedly regressing? Yeah, not exactly something you would expect to help out sales in any form, unless your selling the iPhone which despite being a decent device, would sell if they rebadged the 4S as the iPhone 7. Anyway, that's not to say BlackBerry will find success with android, but really never hurt to try. A well equipped device, with a unique form factor compared to other devices should help differentiate it a little bit.Quite frankly at this point with hardware, what exactly does BlackBerry have to lose?
    08-13-15 09:13 PM
    Yeah people needs apps (ecosystem), I think if you can't beat them then join them

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    08-13-15 09:19 PM
    Android is not guaranteed success I wish people would stop believing this. HTC has android along with Sony and they're not doing good. BB's problems is that they're not marketing and advertising. Nobody will buy your product better yet even know about if you don't market and advertise.
    MikeX74, acovey and FF22 like this.
    08-13-15 09:41 PM
    LG isn't in great shape either... LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter.

8.1 Million phones sold and net profit of $172,000 isn't something to be proud about. They spent so much money on marketing in the US and look at the results.

How much do you think BlackBerry is going to spend on their advertising? LOL

Android is not guaranteed success I wish people would stop believing this. HTC has android along with Sony and they're not doing good. BB's problems is that they're not marketing and advertising. Nobody will buy your product better yet even know about if you don't market and advertise.
    Jazuyo I agree with you, some people are short sighted and don't see the big picture here.
    gvs1341 likes this.
    08-14-15 02:21 AM
    Blackberry will never regain the market share they once had because the dynamics have drastically changed since they where the kings of the market.

I think if they where to release an Android based device with a Blackberry skin, it would bring some folks back to the brand because they could use their paid Android apps and have Google play service support.

As much as I like OS10, they are still not updating the core apps such as Facebook and Twitter as quickly as they should and once folks start having problems with them, your done, period.

At least with IOS and Android, the core apps are updated more frequently and in today's world where social media and Apps drive the marketplace, folks are not going to sit around waiting for critical updates to fix ongoing problems and that's just the way it is.
    Last edited by bakron1; 08-14-15 at 05:33 PM.
    08-14-15 05:01 AM
    I would agree with the OP. BlackBerry is suffering from their reputation of being outdated and manufacturing throwback devices for diehard BBOS holdouts.

People are either not aware of their progress or they're not willing to give up their choice of apps and services for the few advantages that a BlackBerry can give.

If BlackBerry can prove that they can build a successful device for the big markets, they could win back some trust.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 06:28 AM
    I'm excited for the android device as well. At this point BlackBerry doesn't have much to lose.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 06:31 AM
    I'm excited for the android device as well. At this point BlackBerry doesn't have much to lose.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, it's not as those BlackBerry 10 was a ground breaking success. If they're able to find it with Android so be it, if not well at least they gave something different a go.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 07:30 AM
    LG isn't in great shape either... LG made 1.2 cents in profit for every phone it sold last quarter.

8.1 Million phones sold and net profit of $172,000 isn't something to be proud about. They spent so much money on marketing in the US and look at the results.

How much do you think BlackBerry is going to spend on their advertising? LOL

Jazuyo I agree with you, some people are short sighted and don't see the big picture here.
    So what's the big picture? Keep trying at BB10? Not even Enterprise companies are buying it because they can get less and less of the enterprise apps that are being deployed.

The real big picture is that BlackBerry should just stop making mass market mobile phones, and should scale down to just offering a specialized handset for very closed environments,.. at about $3000 a piece. You don't hear of Cisco making wireless phones, yet they are used in hospitals for their intercom systems. I'm sure they aren't sold at walmart for $29.99.

But... since they see that there is some small number of consumers that feel some non-logical emotional attachment to their brand,.. they are probably making a not completely logical decision to give us something, and also rolling the dice hoping that, by it being Android, it a miracle may happen.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 07:48 AM
    It looks like the last ever attempt to sustain device segment. Do or Die. Best Wishes to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    08-14-15 07:51 AM
    The definition of a successful device is what seems to escape BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 07:55 AM
    We have BlackBerry and iOS devices in our company. No Android. BlackBerry goes Android, then no more BlackBerry phones for us. This is the same for a large segment of the Enterprise. Going Android will just make things. Consumers buy on price (BlackBerry loses), Enterprise buys on security (BlackBerry loses).
    08-14-15 07:57 AM
    They do not have resources allocated to this cause as focus shifts to software marketung.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 08:03 AM
    Here is a concept, how about non-Google, native andrioid just develope for BB10 since clearly it is a superior OS?

SE Passport
    08-14-15 09:15 AM
    Here is a concept, how about non-Google, native andrioid just develope for BB10 since clearly it is a superior OS?

SE Passport
    It is either Android OS or BlackBerry OS, it cannot be both. Forking Android is a disaster.
    08-14-15 09:17 AM
    Actually this is exactly why BlackBerry may actually have a chance at selling something in there, simply because people seem to not stick to what they have and are willing to try something new.

Who cares if they don't stick around after they buy the slider, if BlackBerry could get 0.1% churn rate out of the 1 Billion users floating around. Then that's better volume of sales than BB10.

I know that's a low bar,.. but.. they set it.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    0.1% of a Billion is a Million, about what they are at now. Also BlackBerry is not going to be a budget device and we see that premium Android users stick with Samsung, and everyone else is fighting over the budget users, who will not be paying premium for BlackBerry.

Posted via Z30
    08-14-15 09:59 AM
    I have to agree with some of the comments made in here, but also I belive going Android is dead for the smartphone division. I don't think BB would profit from selling Android phones, HTC clearly is a case that having good hardware and Android is not the key for success. Yes, HTC only depends on its hardware to do business, but tells you that your hardware department wont have a good future.

If BB goes with Android, it would only mean they don't want anything to do with the hardware business anymore, in which case I believe is better to stop it and continue with its software and security strategy to avoid any more looses.

On the other hand, BB10 OS rigth now is a differenciator, which I belive, helps them sell better the security strategy they are having on the enterpise side. They could offer a special Android OS with the security enchancements, but I believe it wont be easy to sell, and you are not going to have the same adoption on the market because it would also mean not all google updates would be received and would be a few steps down from the normal version.

So, I believe an hybrid version would be the best for BlackBerry, but would be confussing to execute (imagine dalily routin with two OS). We would have to wait to see what BlackBerry has to show us, personally it goes Android, for me then would be better to change to a Samsung or Sony phone instead of a BlackBerry even if I loose the security layer. Those smartphones have better hardware specs and features than what i believe BlackBerry could offer.

Cheers,
    08-14-15 11:22 AM
    They can't do worse than they are doing now. They need something to differentiate themselves from the other Android phones. The BB10 UI is a good start. Build some better integration with BES12 in their implementation. That will go a long way to re-capture the Enterprise.

Be very reactive to new versions of Android. If they can be first amongst OEMs with new versions, that would go a long way towards capturing the enthusiast consumer market.
    08-14-15 11:37 AM
    They can't do worse than they are doing now. They need something to differentiate themselves from the other Android phones. The BB10 UI is a good start. Build some better integration with BES12 in their implementation. That will go a long way to re-capture the Enterprise.

Be very reactive to new versions of Android. If they can be first amongst OEMs with new versions, that would go a long way towards capturing the enthusiast consumer market.
    The amount of money, resource and time to make a fork of Android and make it secure 1. Won't sell expensive phones. 2. Won't get you Google Services or Play Store. 3. Kill off BB10

This is a very stupid action that BlackBerry is taking.
    thymaster and lnichols like this.
    08-14-15 11:43 AM
167 123 ...