BlackBerry Android Phone with classical design.

As I already mention in my last post I highly admire the size and shape of the classic BlackBerry devices like the Bold, the Curve etc.

I loved the Q10 and used it as daily driver. It troubled me when WhatsApp shut down it´s support for BBOS10 but I convinced enough friends to install BBM on their Android/iOS devices so I could still text with most of my contacts.

Now BBM is gone (BBM is not identical with the existing BBMe) and a smartphone unable to use a (free) internet based texting messenger in my eyes is not suitable as a daily driver.

So, why won't nobody release a BlackBerry that uses Android OS and comes with a classical BlackBerry Design.

For my taste it should look like the "Q10" but if it was more like the "BlackBerry Classic" I would still buy it.

Why isn't there something like that? Don´t we BlackBerry Fans / customer base love a classical BlackBerry design?
    01-03-20 12:09 PM
    BlackBerry Android Phone with classical design.

As I already mention in my last post I highly admire the size and shape of the classic BlackBerry devices like the Bold, the Curve etc.

I loved the Q10 and used it as daily driver. It troubled me when WhatsApp shut down it´s support for BBOS10 but I convinced enough friends to install BBM on their Android/iOS devices so I could still text with most of my contacts.

Now BBM is gone (BBM is not identical with the existing BBMe) and a smartphone unable to use a (free) internet based texting messenger in my eyes is not suitable as a daily driver.

So, why won't nobody release a BlackBerry that uses Android OS and comes with a classical BlackBerry Design.

For my taste it should look like the "Q10" but if it was more like the "BlackBerry Classic" I would still buy it.

Why isn't there something like that? Don´t we BlackBerry Fans / customer base love a classical BlackBerry design?
    The entire Android ecosystem is designed for a large touch-screen interface. It simply does not port well to a tiny square screen.

The KEY² was about as small as Android can be and remain functional.

Maybe something like the heavy-modified KaiOS version of Firefox OS would fit better with your imagined form-factor. It's designed more as a dumbphone+.
    01-03-20 12:32 PM
    The entire Android ecosystem is designed for a large touch-screen interface. It simply does not port well to a tiny square screen.

The KEY² was about as small as Android can be and remain functional.

Maybe something like the heavy-modified KaiOS version of Firefox OS would fit better with your imagined form-factor. It's designed more as a dumbphone+.
    You're right with that. Android wouldn't make a lot of sense on something like the Q10.

Dumbphones in general are a cool concept but on the other hand I do want to check my emails, look up a Map and definitely use a messenger.
    I thought of this as a "slim smartphone", dumbphone+ would also make a lot of sense though.
    As far as I know KaiOS doesn't have support from WhatsApp yet even though it has been announced repeatedly.

Couldn't they modify Android instead. They already modified it to work with the Keyboards etc.

If there was a device that had:

- a physical Keyboard
    - classic BlackBerry Design
    - access to the most common messengers

that would be pretty much enough for me to buy it. This is btw pretty much what any BlackBerry device was before WhatsApp ended support for BBOS and before BBM dissapeared (Yes I'm saying it dissapeared bcs BBMe is not BBM)
    01-03-20 01:11 PM
    You're right with that. Android wouldn't make a lot of sense on something like the Q10.

Dumbphones in general are a cool concept but on the other hand I do want to check my emails, look up a Map and definitely use a messenger.
    I thought of this as a "slim smartphone", dumbphone+ would also make a lot of sense though.
    As far as I know KaiOS doesn't have support from WhatsApp yet even though it has been announced repeatedly.

Couldn't they modify Android instead. They already modified it to work with the Keyboards etc.

- a physical Keyboard

that would be pretty much enough for me to buy it. This is btw pretty much what any BlackBerry device was before WhatsApp ended support for BBOS and before BBM dissapeared (Yes I'm saying it dissapeared bcs BBMe is not BBM)
    There’s simply not enough users for the PKB form or you’d already see it offered here as KaiOS as cheap non smartphone here. It’s ok to start the grieving process.
    01-03-20 01:26 PM

- a physical Keyboard

In order to get those messaging apps officially, an OEM needs the Play Store / Google Services Framework. In order to get Google certified, you'd need a 100% compatible version of Android (meeting ALL of Google's requirements). There is no half-way.
    01-03-20 01:27 PM

- a physical Keyboard

KaiOS is somewhere between Dumbphone and Smartphone....
    It does basic email, it has a browser and it has apps.

Those that use BB10 because of the productivity they feel only it offers... might not like KaiOS at all. But those BB10 users that just need a basic phone might find it does all they need. But generally that hardware is pretty limited as is the availability in different markets. You live in India you might find a few option, you live in the USA.... not so much.
    01-03-20 02:10 PM
    Welcome to the club. A compact Bold style messaging appliance like you and I want just isn't in the foreseeable cards. Neither of the two dominant platforms is even slightly compatible with the concept. What possible incentive would Google, for example, derive from optimizing MY personal efficiency? For minimizing MY handset time and distraction? Tamagotchi pets thrive on maximum attention after all... Lol.

If you or I don't like it, it's not like there's a truly competitive option... ? I'm still squeezing the last minute of use out of my Bolds but far from fully functional, at this point.
    R1R likes this.
    01-03-20 02:32 PM
    Well maybe Unihertz can make something like the Classic for their next phone.
    R1R likes this.
    01-03-20 02:50 PM
    Well maybe Unihertz can make something like the Classic for their next phone.
    Sure. But look at the dumpster fire that the Titan turned out to be.
    01-03-20 02:58 PM
    Sure. But look at the dumpster fire that the Titan turned out to be.
    Is that like at West Virginia football games when the fans burn old couches??
    01-03-20 03:31 PM

If that is really your only issue, you can download and use the Android version on your Q10 just fine. Get it here;
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android
    01-03-20 05:10 PM
    If that is really your only issue, you can download and use the Android version on your Q10 just fine. Get it here;
    https://www.whatsapp.com/android
    I'll try... I tried that before with whatsfixer but it didn't really work good
    01-03-20 05:27 PM
    I'll try... I tried that before with whatsfixer but it didn't really work good
    Circumstances have mysteriously changed, there is no need for WhatsFixer anymore. Merely download directly from the link I provided and it'll work fine.
    R1R likes this.
    01-03-20 05:45 PM
    Circumstances have mysteriously changed, there is no need for WhatsFixer anymore. Merely download directly from the link I provided and it'll work fine.
    Good Sir, this was the single best advice in 2020! That makes my request and this tread basically obsolet.
    Didn't expect that at all but it works perfectly. What a crazy world.

Thank you!
    01-04-20 02:05 AM
    KaiOS is somewhere between Dumbphone and Smartphone....
    It does basic email, it has a browser and it has apps.

Those that use BB10 because of the productivity they feel only it offers... might not like KaiOS at all. But those BB10 users that just need a basic phone might find it does all they need. But generally that hardware is pretty limited as is the availability in different markets. You live in India you might find a few option, you live in the USA.... not so much.
    It is very interesting to see apps on KaiOs! I do have the "new" Nokia 8110 4G banana phone, although I haven't really used it. It's be fun to see however how apps worked there! Thanks for the heads-up!
    01-04-20 07:53 AM
    Good luck trying to get a carrier to provision a KaiOS phone for VoLTE and visual voicemail.
    01-04-20 12:17 PM
    Are you able to get sound notifications?
    I'm running android whatsapp on my Passport SE and I can only get it to vibrate and flash the led, but no ringtone at all. And I'm only able to set notifications on the OS settings, the App settings don't change anything.
    01-04-20 06:15 PM
    Are you able to get sound notifications?
    I'm running android whatsapp on my Passport SE and I can only get it to vibrate and flash the led, but no ringtone at all. And I'm only able to set notifications on the OS settings, the App settings don't change anything.
    I've played around with those notifications for quite a while and never really reached a satisfactory conclusion. You have to set half of the notifications on the OS settings and the other half through the app settings. I think how I had it set last was; on the OS side, set notification light and vibration to on, then on the app settings choose your notification tone. It's not very consistent though, because sometimes the OS will interrupt the app when it's playing the tone, and other times vise-versa. I also found that after a hard reboot it would sometimes revert back to the default tone. That's what I ending up leaving it at, after even going as far as reloading the OS to try and get it to work as I'd have liked it to. Hopefully someone comes along with a real solution...
    01-04-20 06:54 PM
    Yes, I'm having the same results. Sometimes it work (kinda), most of the time it doesn't. It works when you have the app open and the device waked up though.
    01-04-20 06:59 PM
    I've played around with those notifications for quite a while and never really reached a satisfactory conclusion. You have to set half of the notifications on the OS settings and the other half through the app settings. I think how I had it set last was; on the OS side, set notification light and vibration to on, then on the app settings choose your notification tone. It's not very consistent though, because sometimes the OS will interrupt the app when it's playing the tone, and other times vise-versa. I also found that after a hard reboot it would sometimes revert back to the default tone. That's what I ending up leaving it at, after even going as far as reloading the OS to try and get it to work as I'd have liked it to. Hopefully someone comes along with a real solution...
    Really?!? You two ?!? I expect more from BB10 pros and we’ll have to review credentials.... LOL ..... Happy New Year !!!!
    01-04-20 08:12 PM
    It really works.. still can't believe it. I wonder how long it will go on like this but for now everything is fine. Q10 is daily driver now. WhatsApp account on Key2 has been delated.
    Btw, there's no way to keep one WhatsApp account on two devices is there?
    01-05-20 07:52 AM
    In my case, I run WhatsApp on my PP Se and haven't even looked at settings. Every time I have a WhatsApp message, or whatever, I hear the sound I have set for notifications from WA (Ok, correction here; I did set a new ringtone form the WhatsApp settings...) and the notification is there on the Hub.
    01-05-20 09:34 AM
    Really?!? You two ?!? I expect more from BB10 pros and we’ll have to review credentials.... LOL ..... Happy New Year !!!!
    LOL, you have yourself a fantastic New Year as well!
    01-05-20 04:32 PM
    Btw, there's no way to keep one WhatsApp account on two devices is there?
    Nope.
    01-05-20 04:33 PM
    In my case, I run WhatsApp on my PP Se and haven't even looked at settings. Every time I have a WhatsApp message, or whatever, I hear the sound I have set for notifications from WA (Ok, correction here; I did set a new ringtone form the WhatsApp settings...) and the notification is there on the Hub.
    It's when you want to have sound, vibration, and the LED flash that the conflict appears - or so I have found.
    01-05-20 04:34 PM
26 12