Dear all,

I have to admit, it's a looong time since i came to that forum. I ditched backberry after the Passport which could not keep up with the other phones interms of apps.

I can't stand these big phones anymore, it's just too much, that's why i have a question about it. I want to get back to Blackberry, especially the Bold 9900 but i am not ready to give up the apps i use everyday, especially Whatsapp, Waze...

Isn't there anyone in these talented forum that can create a 2019 android phone in a bold 9900 phone?
    And why, for the love of god, Blackberry isn't creating a powerful successor of the bold 9900?? Same hardware, new software? Is that too difficult?

Anyone using a Bold 9900 in 2019 with all the 2019 major apps working on it?

Thanks
    Calvincton Bailey likes this.
    07-16-19 08:42 AM
    BlackBerry hasn't made phones at all for a couple of years already. All recent BB-branded phones have been manufactured by other companies under license, and those companies have been struggling (2 of the 3 are defunct, and the biggest, TCL, has nearly sold through its entire stock of last year's models and if a new model comes at all, it won't be until next year, which means 6 months with no products on the market at all.

And TCL is only interested in selling phones if they can be profitable - which means relatively popular.

The Bold is far too small for an operating system that is primarily touch-based, and there are no modern mobile smartphone OSs that aren't touch-based, and no interest in making any by manufacturers.

The Bold was from a different era, and the world has moved on. The Key series phones are as close as you are likely to ever get, and they are almost gone and it's very questionable if there will ever be another. So if the Key series doesn't do it for you, then a slab is in your future.
    07-16-19 01:49 PM
    Dear all,

I have to admit, it's a looong time since i came to that forum. I ditched backberry after the Passport which could not keep up with the other phones interms of apps.

I can't stand these big phones anymore, it's just too much, that's why i have a question about it. I want to get back to Blackberry, especially the Bold 9900 but i am not ready to give up the apps i use everyday, especially Whatsapp, Waze...

Isn't there anyone in these talented forum that can create a 2019 android phone in a bold 9900 phone?
    And why, for the love of god, Blackberry isn't creating a powerful successor of the bold 9900?? Same hardware, new software? Is that too difficult?

Thanks
    Ouch. Enjoy your 1.6"x1.1" screen using an OS designed for touch.

07-16-19 01:58 PM
    Dear all,

Thanks
    It's looking like a 1x1 screen might be possible.... but not sure how many apps support it.

Sadly it's not a form factor that the market in general seems interested in, so no one is catering to it. If you need a PKB phone the KEY devices from BBMo is your best option in today's market and for full 2019 app compatibility. Might be a little larger than that 9900 and maybe the keyboard isn't as great. But it is better than nothing...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-19 03:21 PM
    Or you use your whatsapp and waze on a passport until it can run it. A classic would do the job for whatsapp I guess (I use telegram and messenger lite daily), but it's too weak to run waze I'm afraid.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-19 04:29 PM
    Get the KEYone and be done....No one is going to revamp the old 9900.
    Laura Knotek and Tsepz_GP like this.
    07-16-19 06:12 PM
    Get the KEYone and be done....No one is going to revamp the old 9900.
    This. Indeed.

Key 2 Red Edition is the best you’ll get at this point.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-16-19 11:29 PM
    This. Indeed.

Key 2 Red Edition is the best you’ll get at this point.
    The only problem it is most likely not available.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-17-19 12:22 AM
    The fact is, what sells drives the market. What doesn't will eventually fade away. Touchscreen phones have steadily whittled away at any potential keyboard market, and will continue to do so. Even many of us older farts finally reached the point the physical keyboard isn't really a factor anymore. My touchscreen keyboard does things a physical one can't, like adjustable key layouts, one-hand layouts, resizable keys, key sensitivity, swipe typing, extra-functional keys, a dedicated number row, etc, etc, etc.

The touchscreen has made the physical keyboard an anachronism. I'm not discounting personal preferences, but there hasn't been a truly successful physical phone since what, 2010, 2011? They have all filled a niche. Some have a following. But there is another factor. Tech itself is evolving. Added antennas for rapidly changing networks, changes in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile networks, etc.

When I signed into CB, 3G was the latest wave. I felt lucky my Curve 8330 was a 3G phone, when many networks were still 2G. The way I used my phone was different in those days, too. I used it like a computer/communications device. But, my needs evolved, as communications expanded into media content, entertainment, most of which is serviced by apps. And lack of apps was a massive shortcoming. BlackBerry couldn't secure its place in that world, and it became change to what will work, even if it isn't the 'in' thing with your supporters, or fold the tent and go home.

Small phones are a niche, these days. I'm older now, and to me, a smaller phone is about as attractive as an unsedated colonoscopy. I use it for so many things, that I didn't before. . Mediocre processors won't cut it, basic RAM won't do. And a physical keyboard just takes up screen real estate. Omigosh, even iPhone finally went to a bigger screen! You get three sizes there, medium, large, and Go to Android.

BIS will soon be gone, as will OS 10. These are facts. They are immutable. Adults accept when it is time to move on. Acceptance means you realize no one is going to give you the candy you've been screaming about, you get up off the floor, wipe away the tears and trail of snot, hitch up your britches, and go eat your broccoli at dinner tonight.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-17-19 at 11:53 AM.
    07-17-19 12:58 AM
    Small phones are a niche, now. I'm older now, and to me, a smaller phone is about as attractive as an unsedated colonoscopy.
    You're spot-on here. Now that I'm older, I prefer a larger screen. I'd probably have a hard time reading anything on a screen the size of that of the 9900, even with my progressive lens spectacles.
    BergerKing likes this.
    07-17-19 03:14 AM
    I frequently jump to this 9930 just so I CAN see to read some stupidly tiny font pages & pdfs. Zoom & pan & font optimization on 99 are still many light years beyond silly "pinch zoom" on "modern" giant screens. Imo. MY eyes are well into 7 decades of well abused service! So are my arthritic hands! Using giant "hand"sets is genuinely a pain in the hand! Lol.

Tiny don't work without toolbelt, tho. (Neither does giant, imo. Lol.) My android stuff frequently get linked to a bluetooth mouse. Button selection needs re-mapping but android handles mouse cursor control nicely. Why can't it handle a trackpad & toolbelt? ??
    07-17-19 04:39 AM
    I still use the Bold and the font sizes are not at all tiny. The interface is well designed and the Bold home screen makes use of fonts that are just a touch smaller in size compared to those on my 5.5" Android's notification screen. The difference is barely distinguishable when you hold the devices side-by-side.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    07-17-19 08:32 AM
    I still use the Bold and the font sizes are not at all tiny. The interface is well designed and the Bold home screen makes use of fonts that are just a touch smaller in size to those on my 5.5" Android's notification screen. The difference is barely distinguishable when you hold the devices side-by-side.
    But we're talking about running Android on the Bold.
    07-17-19 08:32 AM
    Well, actually, that's debatable, given the wide-ranging comments above, which make reference to BIS and BB10.

But in any case, with a well-designed launcher, the fonts on a small phone don't have to be small. Since launchers are easily customized on Android and aspect ratios are not limited in the way that you insinuated via the picture in your earlier post, decent font sizes are possible.
    07-17-19 08:55 AM
    Well, actually, that's debatable, given the wide-ranging comments above, which make reference to BIS and BB10.

But in any case, with a well-designed launcher, the fonts on a small phone don't have to be small. Since launchers are easily customized on Android and aspect ratios are not limited in the way that you insinuated via the picture in your earlier post, decent font sizes are possible.
    Pre-Q, 4:3 (height:width) is the maximum aspect ratio allowed.

I think you are underestimating the difficulties in displaying a full Android OS implementation on a postage stamp.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-17-19 09:06 AM
    Afaik, we're talking about running android on a "Bold" inspired form factor. Android will zoom. It will pan and scroll. It's just too miserable to do without toolbelt, imo.

Even K series could benefit from TB, imo. Making that happen in android space is a whole nother subject. Lol.

Does illustrate, tho, ... the biggest limitation of Bold's 2.8" screen is mostly Android's limitations. afaik.
    07-17-19 09:15 AM
    I have an old Motorola Flipout. They seemed to be able to put Android on a small screen back in 2010. I'm sure those capabilities have not disappeared.

The aspect ratio discussion is reminiscent of all the comments about the impossibility of a 1:1 screen ratio respecting Android on the Passport. It's only impossible when Google arbitrarily sets such a limit. The (ill-fated?) Galaxy Fold was running Pie, so 1:1 must be possible on devices prior to Q. It will definitely be available in Q.

But of course, the Bold 9900 is 3:2 4:3 (landscape), not 1:1.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-17-19 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Cause my head's not screwed on right.
    07-17-19 09:23 AM
    We should not be talking about the Bold we should talk about Android on a PKB with the width of a Q10. The font would be equal to the size used by a iPhone 8. I think it is possible to make a PKB phone using a Q10 Keyboard. If you can use a Q10 then a smaller PKB phone is feasible.

The LE is basically the very same size as the S10, one of the worlds most popular phones. If BlackBerry could make a better LE and sell it at the same price or lower they would probably be able to make a profit.

BlackBerry should not be in the phone OS business. They should just licence out the keyboard and root of trust security. A reduced licensing fee would not affect the profitability for BlackBerry because they would no longer have the costs associated with providing an operating system.

A narrower shorter LE is feasible as is a new Passport version but both would just cannibalize sales from the LE model not an overall increase in sales.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-17-19 at 02:05 PM.
    07-17-19 09:29 AM
    I have an old Motorola Flipout. They seemed to be able to put Android on a small screen back in 2010. I'm sure those capabilities have not disappeared.

The aspect ratio discussion is reminiscent of all the comments about the impossibility of a 1:1 screen ratio respecting Android on the Passport. It's only impossible when Google arbitrarily sets such a limit. The (ill-fated?) Galaxy Fold was running Pie, so 1:1 must be possible on devices prior to Q. It will definitely be available in Q.

But of course, the Bold 9900 is 3:2 (landscape), not 1:1.
    Galaxy Fold is 1.4:1.
    07-17-19 09:39 AM
    So it is. My error.
    07-17-19 09:42 AM

But of course, the Bold 9900 is 3:2 (landscape), not 1:1.
    Pretty sure 9900 is 4:3. . Never understood who'd asked for 1:1 on the Q? Maybe to fill the toolbelt space once the qnx devs realized how many years they'd need to code toolbelt into BB10? Lol.

Android mouse pointer functionality still works nicely, tho. Never know just when Android might decide to dump the capability, tho. ??
    07-17-19 09:47 AM
    Hello,

I understand what you all say, i guess i am just nostalgik of the bold era.
    I have an iPhone 8 and find it very big. Size is my only problem. I used to have an iPhone SE but it eventually became a little weak after 3 years.
    I checked the key 2, loved the screen, loved the keyboard, but again the size is just impossible for me.

I do strongly believe that if Blackberry comes up with a bold form factor (or Q10 like) with an updated and powerful enough software, it can gain back the love of all the people that loved that era of perfect balance size-efficiency the bold was all about.

I am just hoping Apple will come with an updated version of the SE at this point...

Thanks for the discussion...
    07-17-19 09:49 AM
    Galaxy Fold is 1.4:1.
    That currently only a dream new Titan phone with it's 1x1 screen, they couldn't find an Android image to Photoshop, so they used a BB10 image for it's desktop.

Have to wonder if engineering for the phone has even started yet....
    the_boon likes this.
    07-17-19 09:51 AM
    Pretty sure 9900 is 4:3. .
    Jeez, I'm off this morning. Ignore me and talk among yourselves!
    07-17-19 10:10 AM
    Jeez, I'm off this morning. Ignore me and talk among yourselves!
    Haha... no worries. . We all have our days. Hasn't gotten any better with age, in my case tho... lol.
    07-17-19 10:16 AM
36 12