You'e speaking to a brick wall, you know...
    I know Troy comes off as the most patient, factual guy around but... I actually think that shows he is the most deranged lunatic roaming about the CrackBerry forums.

I mean... how else can you explain doing something over and over and over and over again, and somehow expecting different results?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 09:55 PM
    We'll get a couple more clicks outa it

I think the NSA put it there....

Posted via CB10 and the BlackBerry Passport
    09-10-15 10:47 PM
    Of course might be different where you are but as far as I'm concerned I've been educated to unplug (and turn lights out when I leave a room) not only to save energy but also to reduce the risk of fire.

Fire departments make visits to schools and teach kids from an early age here.

London Fire Brigade - Electrics
    I do turn off the lights and basically anything that I don't need
    But the "standby mode" has nowadays both better energy performance and added functionalities.
    Most of my electronic devices are "last gen" ("next gen" for some) and we have a related overall level of performance (mandatory in Europe/France) I do consider as the final key of choice when selecting what fits me most. As of date, the worst level I have is "A" (P.S: this is for washing machines, but just as an illustration for N.A guys, I don't believe this is mandatory there).
    Android and BIS?-etiquette_lave-linge.jpg

I believe, sooner than later, the electrical network will also handle data (PLC) providing the next-gen network wake-up capabilities for generic goods and, of course, data/updates handling.
    May seem far fetched, but hey, "mother nature hates empty spaces" and there's a lot of room for data here ...

edit : OMG, we're way OT ! Sorry ...
    09-11-15 02:34 AM
    I do turn off the lights and basically anything that I don't need
    But the "standby mode" has nowadays both better energy performance and added functionalities.
    Most of my electronic devices are "last gen" ("next gen" for some) and we have a related overall level of performance (mandatory in Europe/France) I do consider as the final key of choice when selecting what fits me most. As of date, the worst level I have is "A" (P.S: this is for washing machines, but just as an illustration for N.A guys, I don't believe this is mandatory there).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	etiquette_lave-linge.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	370825

I believe, sooner than later, the electrical network will also handle data (PLC) providing the next-gen network wake-up capabilities for generic goods and, of course, data/updates handling.
    May seem far fetched, but hey, "mother nature hates empty spaces" and there's a lot of room for data here ...

edit : OMG, we're way OT ! Sorry ...
    That's all very nice but it doesn't address the fire hazard.
    09-11-15 03:29 AM
    No. Troy is absolutely right about that. As he said earlier, you may be confusing BIS with BES:

BES and BIS: What's the Difference? | CrackBerry.com

And, from BlackBerry's own knowledge base:

Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

Pay attention to the item about security. For BIS, it states the following...

Basically, with BIS, you get no more security than your carrier or ISP provides anyone else. You get some, and it is basically a VPN through BlackBerrys NOCs, but once any info goes outside of that, it's on its own.
    You're contradicting yourself, at the start you say Troy is absolutely right and at the end you say you do get some security.

Well which is it? Make up your mind.

There were a lot of services that never left that VPN as you put it, BBM, BB email, PIN messaging, BB Maps, BB Protect, even the BB Browser never left the BIS network.

Bottom line, BIS did offer some security benefits as well as data compression and true push
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-11-15 at 03:45 AM.
    09-11-15 03:35 AM
    Please! There is a market for BIS as someone pointed out in the real world we need compression for roaming. The carriers may not be happy but there is a place for it. As for the rest of your comments that BIS isn't more secure I suggest that you revise your opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I wish we could use Opera Max on BlackBerry for compression

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 04:03 AM
    You'e speaking to a brick wall, you know...
    Better believe that

Posted via CB10
    09-11-15 05:49 AM
    That's all very nice but it doesn't address the fire hazard.
    I can live with that
    09-11-15 08:14 AM
    You're contradicting yourself, at the start you say Troy is absolutely right and at the end you say you do get some security.

Well which is it? Make up your mind.
    Stop being so black and white about it. I recognize the shades of gray in this discussion.

I was merely acknowledging that while within the BIS framework, the compression and the protocols of the mobile network itself gave you some security - if the network it ran over actually used it as the knowledge base article alluded to.

At the time BB10 was first coming out, I too was hoping for some continuation of BIS within the new system. I do still think there could be a place for it in certain circumstances. I just found that over the past two years, I haven't missed it.

There were a lot of services that never left that VPN as you put it, BBM, BB email, PIN messaging, BB Maps, BB Protect, even the BB Browser never left the BIS network.

Bottom line, BIS did offer some security benefits as well as data compression and true push
    I never used BBM, BB email, or PIN messaging. And the browser just plain sucked.

Unfortunately, I also never experienced this "true push". I know it was a feature and was available for some email services - just not the ones I used.

I had a Pearl 8100 and a Torch 9800, and during those years my email consisted of my home ISP POP3 account, and my work Exchange account. When I first got my 8100, my work was still using BES over the Exchange server. I wasn't going to pay for my own BES service, so I stuck with the regular AT&T $30 BlackBerry unlimited data plan which included (as was usual for U.S. carriers) BIS at no additional cost. If you had a BlackBerry, you got a BIS plan - period.

That's the plan I'm still grandfathered into today - although without the BIS part since I now have a Z10.

Anyway, I could only access my work email using the ability BIS has to tie into an Exchange account's Outlook Web Access. So, I had both home and work email on my Pearl (and later, on my Torch, of course). But push? No. I had the 15 minute polling thing - which was that it polled the accounts every 15 minutes and only push to my phone if anything was there. Of course, if something was there, it would poll again in 3 minutes. If nothing was there, it would go back to 15 minutes. That was my experience.

Again, I know that only certain accounts did get actual push, but I was not using any of the "pushable" accounts.

BTW, my work got rid of BES totally when the iPhone began offering Exchange ActiveSync (in '08 or '09 - I forget when).

Now, on my Z10, I can set up EAS and I get my emails on my phone 5 seconds before they show up on my work PC. Finally I got push. And it syncs my contacts and calendar directly. Something I could never do on my Pearl or Torch without hooking it up to my PC and using the Desktop Manager to sync.

My home email service has since upgraded to offer IMAP, and I have converted my account to it. But, Cox's IMAP service apparently still doesn't actually offer the push protocol (IMAP:IDLE), so it is still reliant on the polling period I set - 15 minutes in my case, because that's what I'm used to with BIS.
    09-11-15 09:50 AM
    I can live with that

Are you sure you're not putting other people at risk for your convenience?
    09-11-15 10:06 AM
    1/ We've crossed the line of the outermost OT
    2/ No, I live in a house and if ever, I'm the one at risk : my office's at the basement so I'm here pretty much 24/7
    smart548 likes this.
    09-11-15 12:38 PM
    1/ We've crossed the line of the outermost OT
    2/ No, I live in a house and if ever, I'm the one at risk : my office's at the basement so I'm here pretty much 24/7
    My point exactly, only geeks in their basements want IOT
    09-12-15 01:38 AM
    LOL, that was the mindset of majority when Android was revealed.

IMHO, IOT is actually the natural evolution of Internet. I work in Industrial Automation field and we are working hard to bring everything talks to everyone so something is useful to someone. A compressor sends mails to mechanical engineer daily informing its health. A chemical engineer gets a text if something goes weird in process. Logistic guys gets notified if a Special delivery tanker stuck up somewhere in highway.

I don't know how it will be executed in consumer/domestic front. As usual it will be executed stupidly, inconveniently, irrelevantly, and finally some company will figure out the winning formula. BOOM, it will be everywhere. Every one will chase that. It's a cycle.

But in industrial side, it is already on the upswing.

My 2 cents.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-12-15 04:31 AM
    Somebody might want it and they may be money. If it isn't financially profitable it should disappear, not just profitable to the end user but others involved in the data connection or collection

Posted via CB10
    09-12-15 07:31 AM
    You should really enroll in politics...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-12-15 07:49 AM
65 123