It is fun anyway!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-08-15 03:31 PM
    I'm sure that John Chen would LOVE to resurrect BIS... it's now pretty apparent that BIS was worth much, much more to BlackBerry than BES is.

But I doubt carriers or customers would be all that impressed to see BIS come back.....

What the "blogger" wrote doesn't even make sense. How would BIS make Android secure?

This guy makes it sound like we aren't getting Google Services, we are getting BlackBerry Services to fill the gap. If that is the case.... this is going to be da BOMB.

And I don't mean that in a good way.
    09-08-15 03:35 PM
    how much mileage are we gonna get from this fake-azz pic anyway?
    Taking into account the recent precedent,.. we still have a few more pages to go.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 03:36 PM
    That's because the image is a fake. Bring it into an image editor (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.) and you'll easily see the cut & paste job.

Anyway, for those who don't yet know it, BIS doesn't bring any additional security to BBOS, except in that it enables BBM, and BBM has some low-grade encryption on it (with the same key for every device). It's not like BES, which makes BBM much more secure by using a unique-to-the-company encryption key, enabling much more secure communications within the company.

BIS was primarily a proxy server for your internet connection that added compression techniques to reduce the amount of data used to transmit web traffic, at the expense of quality for things like pictures and videos. It was designed to make 2G networks, which were the standard when BIS was designed, usable for limited mobile web browsing and email. By routing web traffic and email through BB's servers, it enabled push email and reduced data usage when those things were important.

But this is 2015, (and soon 2016), and 4G LTE networks are the norm in the developed world (and coming to developing countries quickly), and BIS would only slow down a modern connection, not speed it up. Push email is also standard today with IMAP.

BIS had real value when it was originally released, but it is obsolete today and won't be coming back. Most importantly, it did NOT bring the additional security features like some seem to believe - those folks must be confusing BIS with BES; while the acronyms are similar, the products are very different.

Sorry to brake it to you but you're wrong, if you ever set foot inside a NOC you would know BIS was far more then data compression.

For a start you had a unique PIN number that couldn't be faked, only one device with that PIN could exist on the BIS network at one time. Basically you couldn't clone it.

You had one secure email address that could only exist on your device. You couldn't see the emails anywhere else, just on one device with one unique PIN.

There was also a way to send encrypted PIN messages with with the encryption key created by the users.

It was clear during the London riots that BBM on BIS couldn't be monitored in real time by the police.

Dismissing the benefits of BIS you're doing BB a huge disservice.
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-09-15 03:11 AM
    In the early days BIS was available for other platforms, Symbian, WinMo and Palm as far as I know, I personally used in on a Nokia Symbian for a while.

BIS on Android wouldn't be anything new, it's probably quite easy.
    09-09-15 03:14 AM
    All your data goes trough the new BIS and thats how BlackBerry made Android secure!!...just sayn

Posted via Q10Bold
    09-09-15 09:39 AM
    Sorry to brake it to you but you're wrong, if you ever set foot inside a NOC you would know BIS was far more then data compression.

For a start you had a unique PIN number that couldn't be faked, only one device with that PIN could exist on the BIS network at one time. Basically you couldn't clone it.
    OK, you couldn't clone your phone.

You had one secure email address that could only exist on your device. You couldn't see the emails anywhere else, just on one device with one unique PIN.
    Which, at best, means you were "secure" as long as you only emailed someone else with a blackberry.net email address. As soon as an email left BB, it was using the same security as everyone else.

There was also a way to send encrypted PIN messages with with the encryption key created by the users.

It was clear during the London riots that BBM on BIS couldn't be monitored in real time by the police.
    That's because city cops aren't exactly equipped for that sort of thing, typically, even in a major capitol city like London. The national government (MI5?) almost certainly could have.

Dismissing the benefits of BIS you're doing BB a huge disservice.
    No, I'm helping people understand that BIS is not BES, and that having BIS does not magically make your entire phone "secure" or "private". The vast majority of users are using common services, whether free web mail (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), shopping services (Amazon), and so on, giving tons of data about themselves, and BIS would do nothing to prevent that. It would do nothing to protect your SMS or MMS messages from being read/intercepted. It would do nothing to prevent someone reading your (non-internal to bb.net) emails. It wouldn't prevent an app from "phoning home". It wouldn't save you from having your cloud-backed-up photos stolen in a server breach. It wouldn't secure your credit card numbers that some ecommerce site doesn't encrypt.

Yet, lots and lots of people clearly believe that BIS can and does do all of those things, and that somehow, without BIS, that their BB10 devices are "much less secure." That's simply false.

Real security is understanding both your strengths and your weaknesses, and not assuming you are protected from a threat vector that you are not, in fact, protected from. And on a smartphone, there are literally dozens if not hundreds of threat vectors.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not running down BB - BB does security better than anyone when you look across the board. But there's still a false perception that BB phones are FAR more secure than the actually are, and that they somehow secure many more things that users do all day long than they actually do. False security isn't your friend.
    09-09-15 09:39 AM
    ... or maybe BIS would mean BlackBerry Individuals Services aka BES for Joes ...
    (again, 100% fun & speculative thoughts)
    KingOfQwerty and gfondeur like this.
    09-09-15 10:09 AM
    ... or maybe BIS would mean BlackBerry Individuals Services aka BES for Joes ...
    (again, 100% fun & speculative thoughts)
    BOOM..and that Individuals can switch between BB10 and ART like Balance on BES!
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-09-15 01:27 PM
    Well BIS is being shutdown, and won't be on BB10.

What we see above is another screenshot of the same Switch to Android button we've seen a few times in other screenshots.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven

Who said BIS is being shut down?
    09-10-15 02:50 AM

Which, at best, means you were "secure" as long as you only emailed someone else with a blackberry.net email address. As soon as an email left BB, it was using the same security as everyone else.

That's because city cops aren't exactly equipped for that sort of thing, typically, even in a major capitol city like London. The national government (MI5?) almost certainly could have.

No, I'm helping people understand that BIS is not BES, and that having BIS does not magically make your entire phone "secure" or "private". The vast majority of users are using common services, whether free web mail (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), shopping services (Amazon), and so on, giving tons of data about themselves, and BIS would do nothing to prevent that. It would do nothing to protect your SMS or MMS messages from being read/intercepted. It would do nothing to prevent someone reading your (non-internal to bb.net) emails. It wouldn't prevent an app from "phoning home". It wouldn't save you from having your cloud-backed-up photos stolen in a server breach. It wouldn't secure your credit card numbers that some ecommerce site doesn't encrypt.

Yet, lots and lots of people clearly believe that BIS can and does do all of those things, and that somehow, without BIS, that their BB10 devices are "much less secure." That's simply false.

Real security is understanding both your strengths and your weaknesses, and not assuming you are protected from a threat vector that you are not, in fact, protected from. And on a smartphone, there are literally dozens if not hundreds of threat vectors.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not running down BB - BB does security better than anyone when you look across the board. But there's still a false perception that BB phones are FAR more secure than the actually are, and that they somehow secure many more things that users do all day long than they actually do. False security isn't your friend.

To sum it up, you said this:

"Anyway, for those who don't yet know it, BIS doesn't bring any additional security to BBOS"

And you were wrong, there were real security benefits to using BIS, and I'll take a little security over no security any day.

However, I consider the data compression the real benefit of BIS
    Q10Bold and gfondeur like this.
    09-10-15 02:55 AM
    Who said BIS is being shut down?
    More likely its resources to be "reallocated" for the IoT/project Ion as Saunders said last year (? - sorry can't find the quote can be earlier/later).
    Interesting to remind, though, in OP's context.

"Each household will have at least 30, 40, 50 different connected devices. In the historical context, that's a pretty decent-sized SMB customer . . . It's not inconceivable that you might have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) for each household,"

http://www.afr.com/technology/complex-platforms-to-manage-home-devices-20150904-gjf3bd#ixzz3lKSA7BH8
    09-10-15 05:00 AM
    More likely its resources to be "reallocated" for the IoT/project Ion as Saunders said last year (? - sorry can't find the quote can be earlier/later).
    Interesting to remind, though, in OP's context.

Samsung and BlackBerry see future in securely managed connected home | afr.com
    That's another DOA project, nobody wants IOT, well, very few geeks. The vast majority doesn't want that crap in their cars or houses.

"That's according to Samsung and BlackBerry, which teamed up in 2014 to build an enterprise-grade device management platform for Android devices, and which are readying themselves for the deluge of smart "Internet of Things" consumer appliances, which in the next five years will result in ordinary households having up to 50 devices that all need enterprise-style management."

Oh how delusional can they be? Up to 50 devices in an ordinary household that will need "enterprise style" management?

Keep dreaming.
    09-10-15 07:12 AM
    "The vast majority doesn't want that crap in their cars or houses"
    They won't even KNOW it. That statement will rule for the "vast majority" as you name them.
    I can enjoy a ride in a 1970 911S 2.4 Porsche, in fact, I do enjoy it (not mine, unfortunately) as you like camera films.
    Android and BIS?-capture.png
    But, hey, do you really mean what you wrote ? You need to wake up: it's 2015.
    09-10-15 08:29 AM
    So when do the threads start?

BIS down in........

Same here.

3 days later..... BIS still down in.....
    09-10-15 09:10 AM
    So when do the threads start?

BIS down in........

Same here.

3 days later..... BIS still down in.....
    Not like there is much else to talk about other than to speculate on what the future holds.
    09-10-15 09:15 AM
    "The vast majority doesn't want that crap in their cars or houses"
    They won't even KNOW it. That statement will rule for the "vast majority" as you name them.
    I can enjoy a ride in a 1970 911S 2.4 Porsche, in fact, I do enjoy it (not mine, unfortunately) as you like camera films.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	309 
Size:	815.4 KB 
ID:	370714
    But, hey, do you really mean what you wrote ? You need to wake up: it's 2015.
    Here's the main reason IOT is DOA, the vast majority has been told for years now to unplug to save energy.

For IOT to work you have to leave all those supposedly 50 connected devices powered up.

Unless you suddenly get electricity for pennies it will simply not work.

Tread lightly: Pull the plug on standby | Environment | The Guardian

It's not that I don't like technology, but everything except my fridge gets unplugged when I leave the house
    09-10-15 02:53 PM
    It's not that I don't like technology, but everything except my fridge gets unplugged when I leave the house
    Well, not for me. I'm greatfull my PS4 can DL massive files even on "hold" mode and all my wires and plugs are hidden and tighten ... so that it'll take litterally minutes to plug/unplug them all. Same goes for my computers (that's my work), furthermore knowing that every power off/on is a life duration killer. But maybe this will be a trend, or should be for earth safety reasons (obviously, yes) ... Must say I don't know anyone around me doing this.

P.S: BTW "your" frige will be connected sooner than later ...
    09-10-15 03:06 PM

Please! There is a market for BIS as someone pointed out in the real world we need compression for roaming. The carriers may not be happy but there is a place for it. As for the rest of your comments that BIS isn't more secure I suggest that you revise your opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 03:12 PM
    Well, not for me. I'm greatfull my PS4 can DL massive files even on "hold" mode and all my wires and plugs are hidden and tighten ... so that it'll take litterally minutes to plug/unplug them all. Same goes for my computers (that's my work), furthermore knowing that every power off/on is a life duration killer. But maybe this will be a trend, or should be for earth safety reasons (obviously, yes) ... Must say I don't know anyone around me doing this.

P.S: BTW "your" frige will be connected sooner than later ...
    Of course might be different where you are but as far as I'm concerned I've been educated to unplug (and turn lights out when I leave a room) not only to save energy but also to reduce the risk of fire.

Fire departments make visits to schools and teach kids from an early age here.

London Fire Brigade - Electrics
    09-10-15 04:02 PM
    As for the rest of your comments that BIS isn't more secure I suggest that you revise your opinion.

Posted via CB10
    No. Troy is absolutely right about that. As he said earlier, you may be confusing BIS with BES:

BES and BIS: What's the Difference? | CrackBerry.com

And, from BlackBerry's own knowledge base:

Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

Pay attention to the item about security. For BIS, it states the following...

Email messages sent between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Internet Service subscriber's BlackBerry smartphone are not encrypted. When transmitted over the wireless network, the email messages are subject to the existing or available network security model(s).

When you log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service, the data is transmitted over a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection.
    Basically, with BIS, you get no more security than your carrier or ISP provides anyone else. You get some, and it is basically a VPN through BlackBerrys NOCs, but once any info goes outside of that, it's on its own.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-10-15 04:31 PM
    No. Troy is absolutely right about that. As he said earlier, you may be confusing BIS with BES:

BES and BIS: What's the Difference? | CrackBerry.com

And, from BlackBerry's own knowledge base:

Comparing BlackBerry Internet Service and BlackBerry Enterprise Server features

Pay attention to the item about security. For BIS, it states the following...

Basically, with BIS, you get no more security than your carrier or ISP provides anyone else. You get some, and it is basically a VPN through BlackBerrys NOCs, but once any info goes outside of that, it's on its own.
    You and him are both wrong sorry . It's a common misconception. Ask the authorities. The London riots were the turning point especially for the carriers.
    And NO.I am on BES from way back when. The "new" BIS won't be as secure I assure you.
    Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 04:42 PM
    You and him are both wrong sorry . It's a common misconception. Ask the authorities. The London riots were the turning point especially for the carriers.
    And NO.I am on BES from way back when. The "new" BIS won't be as secure I assure you.
    Posted via CB10
    While it is true that BBM is encrypted, it's not the same thing, and does not apply to BIS as a whole. And that was addressed already too. The police didn't have what they have now. BIS hasn't changed. The tools used by police have, as has the access they are given.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-15 06:05 PM
    Please! There is a market for BIS as someone pointed out in the real world we need compression for roaming. The carriers may not be happy but there is a place for it. As for the rest of your comments that BIS isn't more secure I suggest that you revise your opinion.
    Very little of the data you use these days is able to be further compressed, at least without quality loss. What makes up the bulk of your data usage is pictures (compressed JPEGs or PNGs), audio (compressed MP3s, AACs, M4As, or FLACs), and video files (compressed MP4s, MKVs, etc.). Compressible data is a tiny fraction of what we use on a daily basis. That's one of the reasons that BIS is irrelevant today.

Another reason is that the volume of data is far larger than current BIS infrastructure can handle, and you'd need huge server farms working to (try to) compress all of that data, or you'd need to have it bypass all of the files it can't compress (which would largely make it irrelevant anyway).

Third, carriers hated paying for BIS, and they're thrilled to be able to shut down their servers and stop paying BB.

I've already gone over the limitations of the "security" of BIS. The fact is that BIS is going away, and nothing is going to change that.
    09-10-15 09:06 PM
    I've already gone over the limitations of the "security" of BIS. The fact is that BIS is going away, and nothing is going to change that.
    You'e speaking to a brick wall, you know...
    09-10-15 09:35 PM
65 123