I am still hoping and waiting to finally make use of my Passport's NFC feature!

What are the plans for BlackBerry? Any news?

Valid Passport!
    09-16-15 03:15 PM
    Android pay on the Slider.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:23 PM
    Yes. The news is no one wants to work with BlackBerry.
    eggman1987 likes this.
    09-16-15 03:32 PM
    The feature is actually working in Canada, maybe not in the USA?

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 03:49 PM
    Rogers Suretap and other NFC pay options (Ugo Wallet, CIBC Mobile Payments) work fine on BlackBerry in Canada
    09-16-15 03:53 PM
    Blackberry wallet

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have been BlackBerry smartphone user since the year 2006 and continued upgrading consistently every year and buy a SIM free device only when my network provider won't stock it! I was loyal to Nokia's symbian till the END and moved to BlackBerry! I HATE Android OS and iOS passionately(not the actual devices that runs Android OS or iSO) I do have mixed feelings about Microsoft OS because I have been using Windows PC all my life and yet their Smartphone division is still not clear about what to do!
    That would be the END of my relationship with BlackBerry if they decided to kill BB10 OS and moves to Android, I would feel devastated but I would support them if it means saving the company.

Valid Passport!
    will308 likes this.
    09-16-15 04:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    This. BB way of implementing NFC payments is too complicated for the end user [certain sim card to delegated carrier/bank] and BB has no way to get cooperation for all the pieces for a payment solution outside of Canada.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    09-16-15 04:14 PM
    The feature is actually working in Canada, maybe not in the USA?

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Working at what capacity??? transport services? Paying for goods?

Valid Passport!
    09-16-15 04:16 PM
    The bottom line is that this is not about technology but about the market clout required to move in on the territory of banks, retailers, and other financial intermediaries. The carriers don't have any place participating in this system which may be one of the reasons why BlackBerry's method didn't work out. Apple was late to NFC technology but unquestionably moved along electronic payments in a way that made things very easy for the consumer. 80% of my credit cards were loaded into Apple Pay just by scanning the card, entering the expiration date, security code, and verifying my identity to the bank via the app.
    09-16-15 04:39 PM
    Forget it with BB10. As long as there is no unified open source form of NFC payment, BlackBerry is way too small to push something through with the retailers. The Slider is where BlackBerry will be back in the game, hopefully.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and rthonpm like this.
    09-16-15 04:45 PM
    You have high hopes. Every slider they released was a major flop. Venice will already be DOA as long as it has the stamp of Blackberry on it. The android os alone and slide out keyboard won't matter in the NICHE market.

Apple pay will be the standard as they have the most push with big banks and retailers.
    09-16-15 05:39 PM
    You have high hopes. Every slider they released was a major flop. Venice will already be DOA as long as it has the stamp of Blackberry on it. The android os alone and slide out keyboard won't matter in the NICHE market.

Apple pay will be the standard as they have the most push with big banks and retailers.
    I do. If the Slider does not sell decently, I think it might be one of the last BlackBerry devices we will see.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 05:44 PM
    Hi All.

In Canada there is a really powerful network in place which allows for secure mobile payments. It is a joint venture between the Carriers (primarily Rogers, Bell and Telus and their subsidiaries). Rogers pioneered this system and named it "SureTap". suretap | Home

It is only available on BlackBerry and some Android devices after a LOT of testing. It works on my Passport, too, although it is not listed on the devices page yet. It requires a special SIM card (which is normally given and provisioned with all new phones, now). This SIM card has a special secure digital wallet component built into it which handles the secure exchange of payment data from the BlackBerry to the payment network using NFC. Other things can be stored in that digital wallet, too, such as loyalty cards, gift cards, whatever.

Another fun fact: To make that payment system bullet-proof and un-hackable the alliance uses EnStream for their network needs. | A Bell TELUS and Rogers joint venture based in Toronto Canada Now - who do you think has the biggest world-wide bullet-proof secure network available? With amazing bandwidth that can handle petabytes per day for absolutely millions of connected devices? Hopefully you're guessing the BlackBerry NOC which has some spare capacity since BB10 devices don't need it like BBOS devices did.
    ALToronto and 00stryder like this.
    09-16-15 06:32 PM
    While we're on the topic of NFC, Mobile Payments - Please check out this video clip and note the gentleman being interviewed: Frank Maduri of BlackBerry is a heavy hitter in the Mobile Payments world and a good guy to watch.

PS: One of the major issues for American adoption of Mobile Payments is that there are several thousand different banks in the USA. In Canada there are just a few major banks (5) and a few credit unions. It's much easier to get consensus because of this.

Previously Verizon tried to get a consortium going back in 2012 (AT&T And Verizon In A Mobile Payment Alliance. Yeah, That'll Last - FierceRetailIT ) but, again, there was no way to get a standard going with Apple vs the rest of the world and again - so many banks to deal with. That alliance became known as "SoftCard" and it did, in fact, fail.

Recently Google purchased the IP and other assets of SoftCard (Google buys Softcard, will have Google Wallet pre-installed on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile Android phones - FierceWireless ) and we'll see how that turns out. There is not a lot of room for Google to have its very own Wallet other than on Android phones. This may be an American only deployment which is fatal for a technology that could go world-wide if it was well implemented. Remember that the American market only just recently started to adopt "Chip & Pin" debit and credit cards - something which the European market has had for many years already and which Canada adopted a few years ago. Again - this is probably due to the fragmentation in the USA which other marketplaces don't suffer from.

As a further note; Nowhere else in the world is there a Country who supports so many different radio standards for mobile phones as there are in the USA. Sprint and Verizon support competing CDMA technologies and AT&T and T-Mobile have completely different GSM technologies. Trying to get a single unified payment system to work over all carriers, some with SIMs, some without, over thousands of banks and payment networks is going to be a royal challenge no matter what.

Stay tuned, however: The market is demanding an answer and perhaps the American's will adopt something which really works, like SureTap.
    09-16-15 08:13 PM

Stay tuned, however: The market is demanding an answer and perhaps the American's will adopt something which really works, like SureTap.
    Down in the Lower 50, a solution that relies on sim to carrier switching will never gain traction, Softcard went that way an failed. Its why Apple NFC solution doesn't and why Google doesn't. Users don't want to go outside of their phone to activate NFC payments and a hardware solution via sim gives power of the carrier over the OS/phone provider as they can lock out OS NFC payment solutions like Softcard did with Google Wallet pre Android 4.4 .
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-16-15 08:24 PM
    I have been BlackBerry smartphone user since the year 2006 and continued upgrading consistently every year and buy a SIM free device only when my network provider won't stock it! I was loyal to Nokia's symbian till the END and moved to BlackBerry! I HATE Android OS and iOS passionately(not the actual devices that runs Android OS or iSO) I do have mixed feelings about Microsoft OS because I have been using Windows PC all my life and yet their Smartphone division is still not clear about what to do!
    That would be the END of my relationship with BlackBerry if they decided to kill BB10 OS and moves to Android, I would feel devastated but I would support them if it means saving the company.

Valid Passport!
    So then you'll be buying the slider with Android.
    09-16-15 08:48 PM
    I have been paying with my Q10 and now my Passport via a Telus NFC sim card for over a year. I even accept payments via Square (android app). Some retailers needed to update their debit machines in order for it to work. Alot of employees were misinformed on how to accept the payment at first. Most Tim Hortons now have it in place. I just drink more coffee now, not the best scenario, especially late at night

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    09-16-15 09:19 PM
    Canada is one small country with relative small local banks. In the rest of the world, getting mobile payments to work for billions of people takes a massive coordination of payment networks, many issuers, and needs to be compatible with so many hundreds of thousands of POS'. Google and Apple barely have the ability to do this well. It's unreasonable to expect BlackBerry to be able to do this at that scale.

So of course Android Pay and Apple Pay are more successful. They have hundreds of millions of users with which to entice banks. Plus, as others have said, they cut out the carriers who had absolutely no business in this business. BlackBerry was unwilling or unable to do this when they were the dominant player.
    09-16-15 10:03 PM
    BBM Money.... just fling some cash somewhere! :-)

�   Leakers' gonna leak... :-)   �
    09-17-15 12:13 AM

you may be right and as much as I HATE the iPhone i think you have hit the mail on the head
    09-17-15 12:47 AM

I think you may be wrong about this. Have you seen the Android sub at Reddit? That's where the hardcore Android guys go for information and to chat. Everytime something about the Venice gets posted, it blows with people drooling over it. You get enough people to accept it now that's it's Android I believe minds will change. Also the build quality of this looks amazing, especially that camera.

Will they sell as many as the Curve 83xx, probably not. But they don't need to sell that many to be successful. The bar for acceptable success at BlackBerry is much lower than in years past. John Chen was ready to say the Passport was a success, but sales slowed down after the initial wave of BlackBerry loyalists purchased it.

As far as Apple Pay vs Android. Any intelligent retailer will install both and they are. Both use NFC, so the hardware is the same. It's just the backend software that will need to support both.

I don't think Apples days are numbered, but I do think that Android will begin to increase users and Apple will slowly decrease. People just aren't as interested in Apple anymore. Things just don't feel the same anymore, kinda similar to BlackBerry in 2008-10.

Two cases come to mind. My Boss, an Apple fanboy, just stated the other day that Apple is getting boring and he's thinking about something else (Android device). This was a guy who waited in line on launch day for iPhones/iPads. Second case is my wife, I never push BlackBerry on to her, I just let her do her own thing. She has had iPhone(s) for awhile and when I showed her the Slider she was interested and said she would be interested in that when her contract is up.

I really think if BlackBerry nails the hardware and runs a fairly vanilla Android OS, with some BlackBerry productivity applications integrated, it will be a success for BlackBerry and Android. (also carrier marketing/support needs to be strong)

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    09-17-15 05:57 AM
    Canada is one small country with relative small local banks. In the rest of the world, getting mobile payments to work for billions of people takes a massive coordination of payment networks, many issuers, and needs to be compatible with so many hundreds of thousands of POS'. Google and Apple barely have the ability to do this well. It's unreasonable to expect BlackBerry to be able to do this at that scale.

So of course Android Pay and Apple Pay are more successful. They have hundreds of millions of users with which to entice banks. Plus, as others have said, they cut out the carriers who had absolutely no business in this business. BlackBerry was unwilling or unable to do this when they were the dominant player.
    Canada and Canadian Banks are rated in the top GLOBAL Financial institutions please check your facts. During the financial crash of 08 they were the few who weren't impacted as south of their border. The US financial system is in dire need of overhaul. They are also the US banks behind in implementing new technology such as mobility payment.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 09-17-15 at 07:37 AM.
    09-17-15 06:04 AM
    I'm about ready to set up NFC payments,going to the Bank today,I hope it's going to be easy,TD is my bank,I think I might have to open an account at another bank,Royal seems to be better equipped for this ,lol
    09-17-15 06:19 AM
    Ya! The most secure platform known can't cover the market of mobile payment! Come on guys that's money you are not earning

Z10
    09-17-15 06:31 AM
48 12