12-05-13 08:51 PM
172 12345 ...
tools
    Now this is a perfect example of apps adding extra functionality to a phone. Signed up now waiting for my invite.
    Tre Lawrence and cwalt2166 like this.
    10-25-13 04:18 AM
    Wow looks amazing.
    I really wish BlackBerry had gone Android, they could have made fantastic keyboarded phones, use the same email as everyone else, move BBM to cross platform like they did, and benefit from Android innovation and devs like this.
    I like the keyboard of BB10, but the phone itself running Android with this as a launcher and all Androids apps available natively? Mmmmmm.
    10-25-13 05:07 AM
    Looks slick. It definitely gets my attention to Android now.

Cover aims to be a smarter lock screen, is invite-only for now | Android Central

I think if BB10 featured this, we'd have a really powerful tool to work with. The idea of peeking and swiping into any app, not just notifications or unified inbox, seems more useful.
    10-25-13 06:09 AM
    This is insanely cool stuff indeed. The only downside seems to be that this isn't LOCKscreen anymore. The phone, although LOCKED seems to be full featured. But anyway it's very cool und hyper useful.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 06:14 AM
    Geo location everything probably. Also by tracking how quickly you're going they could tell if you're in the car or not.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about other devices but when i had geo fencing on my iPhone it cut my battery life in half
    Last edited by Enzetsu; 10-25-13 at 08:36 PM.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-25-13 07:48 AM
    Its a app! we can sideload it!!! :P
    all jokes aside, this looks awesome! How would it know if I'm in the car though? NFC Tags maybe? If it's using GPS would that not suck up a ton of battery life?
    It knows you are in your car by the phones gyroscope and accelerometer sensors which uses much less power than something like your GPS would.
    21stNow likes this.
    10-25-13 08:03 AM
    Ouch... For once I'll give this to Android, really damn cool and frankly... why have not seen this before? This thing looks so natural it seems it'll become a key fixture in the future of all platforms.

Also, is it just me or does it look like a more elaborate version of the ideas introduced with Moto X? Looks like a direct descendant of what was started with Motorola's ideas.
    10-25-13 08:40 AM
    Again an app that steals information and add things that android don't do by default, and ofc something running in the background.
    Like android is not slow enough
    Posted via CB10
    What a useless comment and written without putting a little bit of thought into it.

This enhances the experiences for people using an Android device. Sure" Coverscreen" might have been inspired by some features but how can it be bad for the consumer.
    Last edited by Bsbudd; 10-26-13 at 01:22 PM.
    10-25-13 08:46 AM
    For starters: very well designed and pretty to boot.

What I saw in the video: a location-aware app launcher that uses a "slide to open" rather than "touch to open" metaphor. I expect that there would be the same delay when the app needs to be launched as any other launcher, so what we saw mostly were apps that were already running i.e. chewing through battery reeeeal good.

The "smart settings" feature should be easy to implement in BlackBerry 10... Samsung has a lot of these in TouchWiz but in my limited experience with the Galaxy Note III I found the sheer scope to be overwhelming... they seem to have pared it down to the sensible "common denominator" (note I didn't say "lowest" because I find these kinds-of automated settings can be irritating, because you have to be mentally in sync with the device and I think that real-life is too unpredictable and you'd have to routinely go 'outside' their recommendations) but I've signed up for the beta so hopefully I'll get a chance to try for myself.

The switching app gesture (drag down from the top right corner) kind-of rules out single-handed operation (the videos were done with two hand not-just-the-thumb operation) so there are compromises to be made there. If it could be configured to be "smaller icons lower down" and optionally left- or right-handed layout, and the "switch apps" was not drag down from the top but rather drag up from the bottom, a lot of those one-handed operation issues could be resolved, I think.

I think we've seen the future of BB10.3 :-)

EDIT I also think it's quaint how all the You Tube 'related videos' grid (that is displayed after the video is complete) consists exclusively of mostly-amateurs doing "covers" of popular songs. Oh Google... when will you get that artificial intelligence related content algorithm to be as smart as a 4 year old?

Ouch... For once I'll give this to Android, really damn cool and frankly... why have not seen this before? This thing looks so natural it seems it'll become a key fixture in the future of all platforms.

Also, is it just me or does it look like a more elaborate version of the ideas introduced with Moto X? Looks like a direct descendant of what was started with Motorola's ideas.
    Who wants to place bets on them being acquired by HTC or Samsung pretty much instantly?
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-25-13 at 09:14 AM.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    10-25-13 08:56 AM
    This is intriguing. It happens to have a "Peek" feature, but it's different than BB10. BB10 has it integrated throughout the whole OS where this is just on the lock-screen.

That doesn't make it any less cool though. I'd be interested to see real world performance. The part that I really like is the quick change app bar. That would be a really cool feature to see brought into BB10 so we could quickly switch apps without having to leave what we're currently doing! Maybe have two bars, one for running apps and one as a quick launch the user could customize. Maybe we will see that in 10.3?
    10-25-13 09:52 AM
    Anyone who doesn't acknowledge a feature that users love and not try to copy/improve on it will find themselves in the same place BBRY has found themselves in.
    10-25-13 09:59 AM
    This is actually Ubuntu Touch.
    10-25-13 10:56 AM
    How can you determine it's better? Looks similar, very similar. Looks like it is still app dependent however.
    10-25-13 11:03 AM

What I saw in the video: a location-aware app launcher that uses a "slide to open" rather than "touch to open" metaphor. I expect that there would be the same delay when the app needs to be launched as any other launcher, so what we saw mostly were apps that were already running i.e. chewing through battery reeeeal good.

The "smart settings" feature should be easy to implement in BlackBerry 10... Samsung has a lot of these in TouchWiz but in my limited experience with the Galaxy Note III I found the sheer scope to be overwhelming... they seem to have pared it down to the sensible "common denominator" (note I didn't say "lowest" because I find these kinds-of automated settings can be irritating, because you have to be mentally in sync with the device and I think that real-life is too unpredictable and you'd have to routinely go 'outside' their recommendations) but I've signed up for the beta so hopefully I'll get a chance to try for myself.

The switching app gesture (drag down from the top right corner) kind-of rules out single-handed operation (the videos were done with two hand not-just-the-thumb operation) so there are compromises to be made there. If it could be configured to be "smaller icons lower down" and optionally left- or right-handed layout, and the "switch apps" was not drag down from the top but rather drag up from the bottom, a lot of those one-handed operation issues could be resolved, I think.

I think we've seen the future of BB10.3 :-)

EDIT I also think it's quaint how all the You Tube 'related videos' grid (that is displayed after the video is complete) consists exclusively of mostly-amateurs doing "covers" of popular songs. Oh Google... when will you get that artificial intelligence related content algorithm to be as smart as a 4 year old?

Who wants to place bets on them being acquired by HTC or Samsung pretty much instantly?
    Chewing through battery hmm?
    This is android we're talking about,not bb10!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 11:18 AM
    What do you guys expect. Android copies everything that's great.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, like the notification shade, widgets, live wallpaper, changeable keyboards. Android really does a lot of copying.
    Berry_Pink and cwalt2166 like this.
    10-25-13 11:28 AM

This looks like a blend of many different things. Tasker did some of these elements, vanilla Android has some of these elements and Touchwiz has some of these elements. You can throw in Meego, BB10 and Nokia's take on launching the camera on Lumia devices to find even more similarities.
    10-25-13 11:35 AM
    All I want is something that will adjust my password lock interval from 5 minutes to 30 minutes (or even disabled) automatically based on my location. I don't need my phone password locked while I'm home, would like it around 15 mins when in the office, and then perhaps 5 minutes when out in public/new locations.

Some one make this for BB10, thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Assuming you are not rooted (Tasker + Secure Settings), here is a non-root option that works great:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yedlock2.trial
    10-25-13 02:39 PM
    sorry but i dont see how this copies BB10 at all. This is pretty damn good stuff IMO.
    It's in the same 'territory' as BB10's lockscreen but goes much further. I'd certainly like to see that functionality come to BB10.

What's kinda ballsy is that they're calling one of the features Peek...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-25-13 03:14 PM

My money is on Samsung or Google. But it would be kind of hilarious if Apple or BlackBerry or Microsoft acquired them the way Google scooped up Sparrow Mail (a very popular email app on iPhone).
    10-25-13 03:17 PM
    Apple is rumored to be working on their lock screen which when swiped down will result to world peace.
    kbz1960 and cwalt2166 like this.
    10-25-13 03:44 PM
    Actually it does not look made by android but it's an app instead. I think that blackberry could easily put this on BB 10.3. Really cool features and the peek gesture reminds me the peek on BB10.
    I think this should be integrated into the calendar app: Let me explain...

1) Create Location/Activity Profiles which set your notifications(vibrate,led, etc), wallpaper, bluetooth/wifi/etc, and also a CUSTOMIZIBLE first page (just to the right of the active frame page)

2) When you create an event, you can choose which profile to run during the event.

3) When no event in the calendar is running, you switch to a default profile (or disable the customized page)

4) Profiles can also be set via NFC, or from a drop down menu through the top menu screen.

What do you think?
    10-25-13 03:46 PM
    I think we should take this whole "They stole from BB10" thing lightly.

As someone commented above, BB10 "stole" from Nokia's Meego UI. And I almost forgot about Meego, but after remembering it and Googling/Youtubing it's features, BB10 is almost a straight rip off of Meego. If anything, BB10 stealing Meego makes Cover's "stealing" look like nothing.
    Yeah yeah but 'peek and flow' wasn't copied from Meego. BB10 has the Hub; Meego has Notification Center. BB10 has 8 Active Frames at a time; Meego has more than 8 at a time. Only thing I say BlackBerry copied is the swiping gestures which originally came from WebOS so everybody copied WebOS plus BlackBerry already had swiping gestures with the PBOS which was released not too long after Palm.

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-25-13 05:52 PM
    The only way to innovate now is to take ideas from the other and improve on it. As Picasso once said "Good artist copy, Great artist steal".

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-25-13 05:56 PM
    Just like on IOS it's useless in landscape mode.
    10-25-13 05:58 PM
    Apple is rumored to be working on their lock screen which when swiped down will result to world peace.

Yes, that will be on the iPhone 10s. You can have a similar feature on the iPhone 10c for a cheaper price, but instead of world peace you get Justin Bieber's latest album.

What can I say? Apple knows how to up-sell consumers...
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-25-13 06:36 PM
172 12345 ...