An Os pushing it's multitasking should be able to do more than bb10.
    These limitations are all fixable. They are currently imposed to prevent overzealous apps and app developers from going rogue and killing the overall user experience. This is something that BlackBerry might not get right first try, but the core capability is baked into the OS, but BlackBerry does have to improve the logistics for headless apps and reduce developer overhead.

We've all seen windows computers that non-techies own, with a dozen or more system tray apps clogging up the machine, with stupid browser toolbars etc. that they didn't know enough to not install... bad enough on expandable systems with direct power, but a real liability on a mobile device. BlackBerry has to prevent chaos.You may prefer Android or iOS because they strike what is for you and many others the "right balance" but I appreciate BB10's multitasking as it is today, but what really excites me about BB10 is the potential with the invocation framework.

Also, I have to say that comparing android and iOS limited multitasking to BB10 and complaining that BB10 "only" allows 8 apps to run at a time is a bit rich.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 08:16 AM
    These limitations are all fixable. They are currently imposed to prevent overzealous apps and app developers from going rogue and killing the overall user experience. This is something that BlackBerry might not get right first try, but the core capability is baked into the OS, but BlackBerry does have to improve the logistics for headless apps and reduce developer overhead.

We've all seen windows computers that non-techies own, with a dozen or more system tray apps clogging up the machine, with stupid browser toolbars etc. that they didn't know enough to not install... bad enough on expandable systems with direct power, but a real liability on a mobile device. BlackBerry has to prevent chaos.You may prefer Android or iOS because they strike what is for you and many others the "right balance" but I appreciate BB10's multitasking as it is today, but what really excites me about BB10 is the potential with the invocation framework.

Also, I have to say that comparing android and iOS limited multitasking to BB10 and complaining that BB10 "only" allows 8 apps to run at a time is a bit rich.

Posted via CB10
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I still prefer the multitasking by far on other oses I've used.
    Bb10s multitasking looks very nice. It really does.
    Fluidly swiping out of an app is handled great.

But for function? With the app limits, the auto closing of active frames, the lack of headless and widget functionality, and the poor implementations of communication multitasking with everything going through the hub so you can only have one email or text message open at a time, I think it's easily the poorest multitasking Os I've used, ever.

Posted via CB10
    droiddude likes this.
    10-29-13 09:27 AM
    Posted via CB10
    With the news that the Android YouTube app will allow background playing, that leads me to believe that it's not the Android OS posing multitasking limitations, but rather limitations set by app developers. I've posted a lot in this thread about how I've used both BB10 and Android and as far as day to day multitasking in terms of the ability to quickly switch between apps and pick up where I left off, both were about equal. The 8 app restriction didn't really restrict me at any time. What I took issue with was how the OS handled incoming notifications. BB10's "peek" answer just wasn't as intuitive as what I was used to with the Android notification bar/shade. Again, if I still had my Z10, 10.2 would be a welcome update with the inclusion of toast notifications.

But as far as my current device, it has the ability to switch between apps quickly, right were I left off in them. It has the ability to run things in the background like GPS navigation, video calls, uploads/downloads, etc. And, I can only see it getting better, just as I'm sure BB10 will continue to evolve. Competition is a good thing!
    10-29-13 09:42 AM
    So, to you, an OS which is meant for multitasking, that can't run more than 8 apps, and also doesn't have proper headless app support, is the pinnacle of innovation.
    That's basically what the wall of text said.

Most of the world will disagree with that, because it makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    No that's not what my wall of text was supposed to say and I never claimed BB10 was the "pinnacle of innovation". Since this is what you understood and still claim the "meant for multitasking, that can't run more than 8 apps..." bull**** I conclude that you either didn't read my post completely or you still don't get what I'm saying. My claim still stands: BB10 does a better job at multitasking for me personally within my day to day usage pattern than any Android device, because it's lighter, faster and more convenient to navigate for me.

You instead claim that an OS that isn't able to run 8 apps at a time simultaneously will never be good at multitasking, since obviously, by your logic, the more apps can be run simultaneously the better the multitasking. OK. I understand. Now troll off buddy.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 01:08 PM
    An Os pushing it's multitasking should be able to do more than bb10.
    As I said a long time ago, without headless app support, if you wanted to use your phone for communications and productivity, you'd have an led changer app, viber, Skype, whatsapp, BBM, the phone app, a note app running active framed for your tasks, you have the music player running and suddenly if you open the browser there's your ninth app. Or the camera. Or the pictures app.
    Some of those are integrated into the hub. But they don't provide all alerts into the hub. For example channels updates won't come through to the hub, whatsapp sometimes cuts out completely.
    So yeah, an 8 app background limit that still allows the battery life to be impacted as much as bb10, it's not ideal.

Posted via CB10
    Oh my god dude I have multiple apps that still push notifications to the HUB although they're not open in Active Frames, even since 10.0. What are you even talking about, your whole use case scenario makes no sense to begin with in BB10. My gosh. Why would I run Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, BBM, the phone app (the phone app! I mean really?? The PHONE APP?) and a nite talking app (again: a note taking app??) in Active Frames all day? I don't use Skype and I don't use Viber. But I do use the phone, a note taking app, BBM and WhatsApp. All I can say is that you will NEVER see any of these apps opened in an Active Frame when I pull the phone out my pocket. Try to make at least a bit sense please.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 01:18 PM
    Oh my god dude I have multiple apps that still push notifications to the HUB although they're not open in Active Frames, even since 10.0. What are you even talking about, your whole use case scenario makes no sense to begin with in BB10. My gosh. Why would I run Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, BBM, the phone app (the phone app! I mean really?? The PHONE APP?) and a nite talking app (again: a note taking app??) in Active Frames all day? I don't use Skype and I don't use Viber. But I do use the phone, a note taking app, BBM and WhatsApp. All I can say is that you will NEVER see any of these apps opened in an Active Frame when I pull the phone out my pocket. Try to make at least a bit sense please.

Posted via CB10
    I'll keep this simple since you don't seem to understand long sentences.
    BBM channels doesn't feed updates into the hub. You won't know unless the app is open. Pre 10.2, pics added to groups also don't come into the hub.
    Whatsapp occasionally stop integrating with hub completely because the hub is slow and buggy as per whatsapp Dev. So unless the app is open you won't know if you have new messages.
    People like to have schedules or to do lists. A note taking app works like this, many have made the active frame functional for specifically this reason.
    If you use the phone, it counts as an app, so could potentially close another if you're over 8.
    Hopefully you understood some of the above cos you're making yourself look silly.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 06:28 PM
    I'll keep this simple since you don't seem to understand long sentences.
    BBM channels doesn't feed updates into the hub. You won't know unless the app is open. Pre 10.2, pics added to groups also don't come into the hub.
    Whatsapp occasionally stop integrating with hub completely because the hub is slow and buggy as per whatsapp Dev. So unless the app is open you won't know if you have new messages.
    People like to have schedules or to do lists. A note taking app works like this, many have made the active frame functional for specifically this reason.
    If you use the phone, it counts as an app, so could potentially close another if you're over 8.
    Hopefully you understood some of the above cos you're making yourself look silly.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, it's still you're take on it that looks silly. I will go through your list:

# BBM channels
    BBM channels is in BETA state and I didn't use it yet, and we both now that any app is able to push updates to the HUB. So how is this any proof?

# Group Pics pre 10.2
    As you say yourself: PRE 10.2, but 10.2 is in roll out. And again, like above, we both know what the HUB is capable of. So how is this any proof?

# WhatsApp issues
    I know this issue which can be fixed by a reboot. But obviously this is a (seldom in my experience) WhatsApp bug and has nothing to do with what the OS is capable of. So how is this any proof?

# To do lists
    So how many people do need a to do list that is ALWAYS open, because they work on it once or twice half an hour? Is it that much of a pain to have it on page one (since it's that important) and open it when you want to use it? And even IF I was about to let it open all day, for me, 7 remaining AFs would still be enough - by far.

# Phone
    Yes, the phone counts as an app. BUT I will never be in a situation where I've already 8 apps open in the first place when I place a call. So.......?

In conclusion: what are you doing with your phone all day that you need more than 8 apps running simultaneously? AF apps actually run. They're aren't paused or just cached. Who looks silly now?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 07:20 AM
    Nope, it's still you're take on it that looks silly. I will go through your list:

# BBM channels
    BBM channels is in BETA state and I didn't use it yet, and we both now that any app is able to push updates to the HUB. So how is this any proof?

# Group Pics pre 10.2
    As you say yourself: PRE 10.2, but 10.2 is in roll out. And again, like above, we both know what the HUB is capable of. So how is this any proof?

# WhatsApp issues
    I know this issue which can be fixed by a reboot. But obviously this is a (seldom in my experience) WhatsApp bug and has nothing to do with what the OS is capable of. So how is this any proof?

# To do lists
    So how many people do need a to do list that is ALWAYS open, because they work on it once or twice half an hour? Is it that much of a pain to have it on page one (since it's that important) and open it when you want to use it? And even IF I was about to let it open all day, for me, 7 remaining AFs would still be enough - by far.

# Phone
    Yes, the phone counts as an app. BUT I will never be in a situation where I've already 8 apps open in the first place when I place a call. So.......?

In conclusion: what are you doing with your phone all day that you need more than 8 apps running simultaneously? AF apps actually run. They're aren't paused or just cached. Who looks silly now?

Posted via CB10
    Still you, by a mile.

BBM is a BlackBerry app, if they can't get it to play well with the hub that says a lot.
    10.2 won't be out in the states for ages.
    Whatsapp says it's the hub that's buggy and initialises too slow, which is very true, the hub won't let you access your messages for ages after a boot.

You can limit yourself because of the oses limitations if you want. Don't sell that as a superior solution. It's limiting.

Posted via CB10
    JR A and TgeekB like this.
    10-30-13 10:21 AM
    BBM is a BlackBerry app, if they can't get it to play well with the hub that says a lot.
    It was a missing feature that hasn't been implemented yet, like many other features, too. Any feature takes time to implement and you have to set priorities and update roadmaps. How can one spin "they can't get it to play well with the HUB" out of this?

10.2 won't be out in the states for ages.
    That's a carrier's play like on any other platform other than iOS (since Apple owns the carriers) and 'ages' is truly exaggerated. Anyway, how does this proof any of your points?

Whatsapp says it's the hub that's buggy and initialises too slow
    How does a long initialisation time result in messages not being able to get pushed to the HUB until the phone gets rebooted? When initialisation is done, it's done and the HUB is always up and running in realtime. Also 'buggy' seems to be a very precise description of the cause. Bottom line is that WhatsApp can claim whatever they want, at the end of the day there are still apps that have no problem with sending push notifications to the HUB although they don't run in Active Frames. So instead of pointing at others I think WhatsApp should get their act together and eliminate that (seldom in all fairness) bug.

which is very true, the hub won't let you access your messages for ages after a boot.
    Again, 'ages' is just exaggerating and since I don't reboot my Z10 for weeks usually since this is never needed, I couldn't care less about this. For me this sounds like a typical troll comment.

You can limit yourself because of the oses limitations if you want. Don't sell that as a superior solution.
    I don't. The problem is that you sir sell these limitations, which have even pros on other sides, as dealbreakers. That's the point.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 02:11 PM
    It was a missing feature that hasn't been implemented yet, like many other features, too. Any feature takes time to implement and you have to set priorities and update roadmaps. How can one spin "they can't get it to play well with the HUB" out of this?

That's a carrier's play like on any other platform other than iOS (since Apple owns the carriers) and 'ages' is truly exaggerated. Anyway, how does this proof any of your points?

How does a long initialisation time result in messages not being able to get pushed to the HUB until the phone gets rebooted? When initialisation is done, it's done and the HUB is always up and running in realtime. Also 'buggy' seems to be a very precise description of the cause. Bottom line is that WhatsApp can claim whatever they want, at the end of the day there are still apps that have no problem with sending push notifications to the HUB although they don't run in Active Frames. So instead of pointing at others I think WhatsApp should get their act together and eliminate that (seldom in all fairness) bug.

Again, 'ages' is just exaggerating and since I don't reboot my Z10 for weeks usually since this is never needed, I couldn't care less about this. For me this sounds like a typical troll comment.

I don't. The problem is that you sir sell these limitations, which have even pros on other sides, as dealbreakers. That's the point.

Posted via CB10
    I give up, you're genuinely clueless. It's not even worth continuing this discussion, you can't appreciate or understand any views but your own personal experiences, limited though they are. And just cos I'm nice, I won't report you despite you continually hurling around the word troll, likely without knowing what it means.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-30-13 03:49 PM
    I like how they have implemented "Cover".

I don't feel as if this "copies" BB10. I don't think I'd want my apps to pop up on side of my screen and stay there. I prefer the peek&flow method of BlackBerry.

I do wish there was some easier way to get to the apps I want to use besides swiping home and then to the left each time.

Posted with my Q10
    JR A likes this.
    10-31-13 02:44 AM
    I give up, you're genuinely clueless. It's not even worth continuing this discussion, ...
    Sigh....ditto. Thanks for wasting my time anyway.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 05:53 AM
    And just cos I'm nice, I won't report you despite you continually hurling around the word troll
    The fact that it's even a possibility for you to flag/report people just because they used the word 'troll' (which is really fitting in your case most of the time since you just make up and spin things and always answer with 'you're clueless' if you can't argument anymore) shows what a p u s s y community this is. I don't even care anymore, even on Android Central or iMore, I, as a BlackBerry fan, would've more fun and more rational discussions in the forums very likely.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 06:04 AM
    It's an app that you have to be in, it doesn't work as an integrated feature of the operating system. If you are trying to move data from one app to another in android it's very time consuming and tedious to the point of not doing it. That is why there are so many apps in android simply for moving data, (pocket for example).

Don't get me wrong, android is great, but wouldn't be able to tollerate it as the only option.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 07:08 AM
    It's an app that you have to be in, it doesn't work as an integrated feature of the operating system. If you are trying to move data from one app to another in android it's very time consuming and tedious to the point of not doing it. That is why there are so many apps in android simply for moving data, (pocket for example).

Don't get me wrong, android is great, but wouldn't be able to tollerate it as the only option.

Posted via CB10
    What are you referring to regarding moving data from one app to another? On Android it's as easy as tapping the "share" icon and selecting another app from the menu that pops up.
    11-01-13 12:50 PM
    Omg bb is really dead now can't beat that functionality. With Google Now and now this new feature even Apple can't keep up even with that finger scanner. Blackberry says keep moving and people listen and keep moving to other platforms.
    11-04-13 09:34 PM
    BB is really very alive and kicking. Long Live BB and my Z30.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-04-13 11:45 PM
    Sue that developers cheap ***

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 04:54 PM
    Its not better at all.Its pretty good eye candy based of BB10/unbuntu obviously.But they target different things.Cover is just about going into apps quick from lockscreen.Their in app quick launch is the more impressive thing here.I have been pitching that to clewley on BBM channels to allow us to gesture in search/instant action in apps with a playbook corner gesture.Search/instant actions has great commands would love to over lay that over my bbm usage perform an act then swipe it away.As for ''cover'' overall its ok but its a rip and the awesome peek effect is the draw and allure.If you add the lockscreen.I fail to see how its better than unlocking seeing active frame data or jumping into apps.The in app quick launch is the impressive piece here.The BB10/unubuntu UI rip is the distraction thats the allure.

The peek objectives are not the same or at the same level BB10 is higher level.Our peek is Os level notifcation,messages, led and alert based.We can peek anywhere,anytime and see multiple streams from various apps not be limited to one at a time Our app switching is the best around period nothing is slicker/faster or as cool as posting a frame and jumping in and out especially when typing messages.We get to peek the lock screen ,see text and with the newest 10.2 build we can double tap and jump right into that message.Heck we can peek/swipe back in any native app for lols its not just a lockscreen only feature.

There's levels to this peek *1** .''Cover'' is not at the level of BB10 Peek.With cover If you get messages from the lockscreen app ,no alert ,no text screen peek and you have to full open them individually.We get a universal inbox of messages from multiple services that we can respond to fast.This is the difference dont be so easily wowed.There's levels to this peek *1**.BB10 peek is not just at the lock screen its OS level.Do people even know that they can peek into your calendar in the hub by pulling the the top message down??.This is the levels.Apart from how easily sold and swayed people are everything you see is not the best thing advertising suckers.

What this does show me is people want to open apps from lock screen(security breach) And possibly bringing back social stream in some kind of form that showed update alerts on the lock screen would be a loved feature. What is sad is that people think peeking into social apps makes this superior to peeking into communication apps the whole point of a phone smh.
    12-05-13 05:51 PM
    I like how they have implemented "Cover".

I don't feel as if this "copies" BB10. I don't think I'd want my apps to pop up on side of my screen and stay there. I prefer the peek&flow method of BlackBerry.

I do wish there was some easier way to get to the apps I want to use besides swiping home and then to the left each time.

Posted with my Q10
    There is like the playbook but its flawed and still the same thing as going to the frame screen.Even if you could swipe right or left into apps you only be going in 2 directions back and forward.Its limited and would end up going around like a carsousel just to find the app you want.With the frame you can actually pick and chose where you want to go much more control than just swiping through apps as if its a old 90's browser. This is why browser tabs rule its like the frames space you get multi views and choice where to go..
    12-05-13 06:06 PM
    This is very cool. As a business user, I would love to have such an intuitive system that adapts to my daily activities. Hopefully BlackBerry is watching and that we'll see something similar in a future BB10 updates!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 07:53 PM
    This is just using geofencing to help figure out what apps you plan to use and where. It could be learned after monitoring you're usage over a month or something. With geofencing in the BB SDK, there is no reason much of this couldn't be done in BB10.

There is so much awesomeness that can be done using geofencing and looking forward to more devs using it.
    12-05-13 08:51 PM
172 ... 567