I don't get any of your points. The BlackBerry app pane IS static. It's just that you go home and swipe over and you're there and know where exactly what is located. The point with the task switcher being the homescreen is that it never gets crowded, because I close an app the same moment I go home to switch to another. There is no crowded, ever. With Android instead, as I said, the taskswitcher gets super crowded very fast and closing an app by pressing and holding a sensor key or a key that's utterly located in the bottom right corner of the phone is one thing. But the other thing that drove me nuts were the actual ergonomics when swiping an app away single handed. Wow that barely worked. What a junk experience.

To pausing/etc.:

Yes dude I KNOW Android is capable of background downloads, that wasn't the point. My point was - again - that I always have a good sense of what's working in the background and what's not. It's good to know that any app on BB10 that I push to the background will just keep doing whatever it was doing, without the need to think about it (unless the developer explicitly decided to pause it but that's very rare on BB10 beside games). What I meant to say was that I rather know what's running and let two to three apps running simultaneously in the background (because I decided so) than having 10-20 apps sitting in the background, 15 of which I used hours or days ago, with some of them working, some of them not and so on. When I let an app finish a process in the background I started within it, that's how it's supposed to be. But if 15 of 20 apps are uselessly sitting in the background, taking up memory without doing anything because I left them with the homebutton all the time, that's wasting ressources.

Posted via CB10
    No, active frames are not static. Once you open and minimize a new app, all of your currently open apps have shifted to make room for the new one. You'd have to go back in and out of apps on order to get them placed back in the order you want, and that only lasts until the next time I use an app. I prefer an actual home screen experience where everything stays the same. I've arranged things that make sense to me, and they don't change unless I move something on my own. I would have had a better experience on the Z10 had I been able to pin active frames on the home screen. I would have pinned my calendar to the top left and weather app to the top right. Then whenever I'd open another app and minimize it would go to the bottom left. I had the rebooting problem on 10.0 and it was always a pain to open the apps again and arrange them on the screen.

You make it sound like exiting apps on Android is a huge chore. It sounds like you're only familiar with Samsung devices which require a long press to get into the multitasking view. On other devices, there is an onscreen button that you simply tap and the view comes up. After that you just swipe away at the apps you no longer need. You can kill several in a matter of seconds, just like on BB10. Couldn't be easier.

Now, back to my original question which you seem to be skirting. Which apps work better running in the background rather than paused? So far downloading/uploading in the background and video calls have been offered, and both of those run in the background on Android. What else?
    10-28-13 09:18 AM
    When I watch YouTube, it's for the videos. When I want to listen to music I turn to my stored media, TuneIn, Spotify, Slacker, etc. You say the YouTube example is one of many but it's the ONLY one I hear people talk about. What are some other examples of apps where it's better to have them running in the background?
    Recording a video/audio event while in another app. Great for taking notes in class or letting the little ones compose their own "symphony".

At least on my Playbook...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-28-13 10:22 AM
    Recording a video/audio event while in another app. Great for taking notes in class or letting the little ones compose their own "symphony".

I would also like to point out, that I lumped several examples into one there. I could break them out individually but I doubt others would really care.
    10-28-13 10:25 AM

Thank you!! This is a great example. The video camera on my Xperia Z does indeed stop recording once I leave the camera app. The audio recorder, however, does continue recording in the background.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-28-13 10:44 AM
    I used a Z10 for several months and that's why I'm asking. I don't see a difference in everyday multitasking operation between the Z10 and the Android device I'm using now. I'm trying to understand why people tout the BB10 way is so much better.

You can have video calls running in the background of Android as well, at least on Skype and Hangouts which are the two services I use for video calls. And like I mentioned in another posts you can have things uploading and downloading in the background as well. The upload/download status is indicated in the task bar and once complete you can click on the notification and it takes you straight to it.

ETA: Here's what it looks like when you're within another app while on a Skype call. Pull the notification shade down and tap the ongoing call to get back into it.

http://i.imgur.com/1J2Ji0w.jpg

And here I am surfing CB and video chatting at the same time:

http://i.imgur.com/8BMIGAQ.jpg
    I know Android very well a I have a tablet with Android 4.2 installed and my boyfriend has a Samsung S3 I use sometimes. It can do as you say, but not as fluently and smooth as you say. And multitasking isn't doing two things at once, it means doing many more things at once. Android just can't do that without losing speed or it lags. Whatever you say, it's not possible because I tried, unless you have a miracle device that has yet to be released.
    10-28-13 10:51 AM
    I know Android very well a I have a tablet with Android 4.2 installed and my boyfriend has a Samsung S3 I use sometimes. It can do as you say, but not as fluently and smooth as you say. And multitasking isn't doing two things at once, it means doing many more things at once. Android just can't do that without losing speed or it lags. Whatever you say, it's not possible because I tried, unless you have a miracle device that has yet to be released.
    It's a Sony Xperia Z. The UI on this is very minimalistic, as opposed to the heavy and bloated TouchWiz that you're used to. I can indeed be doing several things at once on this with no lag or loss of speed.
    10-28-13 10:58 AM
    I like playing YouTube videos on the background. Like music, but I don't need to see the video, I want to do other stuff at the same time instead. For this to be done, YouTube has to be running in the background.

This is just one of the many examples. If you use an Android device, you might be used to some things not being possible, but you don't realise it because it was never an option. Now I know what is possible on BB10, I couldn't go back to Android because I'd feel limited with, for example, the YouTube playing while I'm browsing, chatting, making pictures, etc, all at the same time.
    YouTube for Android will soon work as a background music player | Ars Technica
    10-28-13 12:00 PM
    Thank you!! This is a great example. The video camera on my Xperia Z does indeed stop recording once I leave the camera app. The audio recorder, however, does continue recording in the background.
    That is why I mentioned in the other thread that I would love to see a device that takes all of these exciting multi-tasking methods and merges them into one. I MIGHT stand in line for that.
    10-28-13 12:01 PM
    Doing more than 8 things for example?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 12:22 PM
    But if 15 of 20 apps are uselessly sitting in the background, taking up memory without doing anything because I left them with the homebutton all the time, that's wasting ressources.
    Android intentionally keeps apps cached in order to reduce loading time when you switch back to them. It's just a different paradigm. There's a cliche in Android which says, "The only wasted memory is unused memory," which I realize seems counter-intuitive when coming from BB10, but it's how it's supposed to work in Android. You don't really "close" Android apps (the UI portion isn't "running" anyway, they're just cached), the OS takes care of it for you as needed.
    10-28-13 12:57 PM
    So it's Google now and the BlackBerry 10 gestures in one app? *yawn
    10-28-13 01:05 PM
    It's a Sony Xperia Z. The UI on this is very minimalistic, as opposed to the heavy and bloated TouchWiz that you're used to. I can indeed be doing several things at once on this with no lag or loss of speed.
    It doesn't have TouchWiz, not all non-Sony tablets have that It didn't have it in the first place and I've also stripped all bloatware as I call it. Thought it'd make it faster, but nope. Not possible. But I haven't tried the Sony Xperia Z tablet yet, so if you say this is the miraculous device that can do all that, I have nothing to prove against you.
    10-28-13 01:10 PM
    Doing more than 8 things for example?

Posted via CB10
    It's hard to find more than 8 things to do on the background because the Hub takes care of most stuff and that doesn't even count as a running app. That's why it's so perfect.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-28-13 01:11 PM
    It's hard to find more than 8 things to do on the background because the Hub takes care of most stuff and that doesn't even count as a running app. That's why it's so perfect.
    It's really not that hard. Apps being closed on my Z10 was a regular occurrence.
    10-28-13 01:27 PM
    It's really not that hard. Apps being closed on my Z10 was a regular occurrence.
    I don't see the point of playing more than 8 games at once.
    10-28-13 01:55 PM
    No, active frames are not static. Once you open and minimize a new app, all of your currently open apps have shifted to make room for the new one. You'd have to go back in and out of apps on order to get them placed back in the order you want, and that only lasts until the next time I use an app. I prefer an actual home screen experience where everything stays the same. I've arranged things that make sense to me, and they don't change unless I move something on my own. I would have had a better experience on the Z10 had I been able to pin active frames on the home screen. I would have pinned my calendar to the top left and weather app to the top right. Then whenever I'd open another app and minimize it would go to the bottom left. I had the rebooting problem on 10.0 and it was always a pain to open the apps again and arrange them on the screen.
    Okay. No offense, but I think you got something wrong with BB10. If BlackBerry wanted BB10 to be just another OS with 7 static homescreens filled with shortcuts and widgets, they had made it like that. But they didn't. As far as I'm concerned (and I already got the idea of BB10 when they showed their first conceptual demo back in May 2012) BlackBerry 10 is not supposed to work like this and you as a BB10 user are not supposed to use it like this. Active Frames aren't supposed to be, work and be used like widgets. The idea behind it isn't to place them like you place widgets on Android homescreens. Active Frames are nothing more and nothing less than minimized actual used apps, nothing you pin on your homescreen to be always open. This basically says a lot about the entire BB10 approach and paradigm. Just DO STUFF. So what you understand as a customizable homescreen like on Android or Windows Phone, isn't a customizable homescreen. It's literally the multitasking view you find on Android when you hit the taskswitcher. The idea behind this is that your phone is like a dynamic workplace. Whatever you see on your BB10 'homescreen' is actually what you're doing right at the moment. And when you're finished with a task, you close the Active Frame and that's it. Think of it like a work desk. It's empty, located at the center, this is the place where you do stuff. You get new apps to work on stuff from the right (the app pane), you get communications from the left (HUB) and you get global settings and quick toggles from the top. That's it. Basically there is no homescreen in BB10, but a multitasking screen which is the center of the paradigm. I got this idea totally and I was convinced of it and after 6 months in with a Z10, I still am. When I'm done with something, I close it, every time because I see no reason to left it open. When work is done, it gets pushed back to whereever it was. Twitter (Blaq in my case)? NEVER open. Facebook? Never open. WhatsApp? Never open. BBM? Never open. Browser? Calendar? Contacts? Clock? Never open. I open things when I want to use them and I close them when I'm done. But sure, it does happen that from time to time I got 4 or five apps open at the same time, but in this case, I actually use every single one of them and whatever is minimized in an Active Frame is something I'll come back to very shortly, it's only temporarily in the background. So a use case to explain this is the following: I pull the phone out my pocket to check CrackBerry, so I open the CB10 app. I find a link and open it in the browser. Based on the link in the browser I want to check on a document or download and save something. Maybe I parallely fire up Twitter or Facebook to check on there independently from the others. But basically all these opened apps (5 now) belong to a single 'use process'. Even while all these 5 apps are open I can still communicate over all various channels without even opening a sixth app, I just do it sideways through the HUB. When I'm done with this process, I close all apps before the phone gets back into my pocket. The only app I got sitting in the background over the course of a few hours sometimes is the music player when I'm in the middle of an audiobook, but that's really the only case I can think of where an app is Active Framed without me using it. This is how I understand BB10 and this is how I use it. This is also exactly how I used legacy BlackBerry devices. And because of this I never had a problem with the 8 apps limit. I can't imagine a scenario where I really use more than 8 apps at a time, in fact, I barely get over 4 apps. This together with the gesture based UI navigation optimized for one handed use gives me nothing but a fast, convenient and powerful tool to do stuff. The focus lies in 'fast' here. When BlackBerry and BB10 enthusiasts talk about 'multitasking' we don't mean two apps on the screen at the same time. We don't mean 15 or more apps sitting in the background. What we mean is how we actually use the phone. How. Multitasking is the center of BB10, it's your homescreen and when I use my Z10 I hurry through the phone, answer a message here, read an article there, copy this, paste that, sharing something and so on, always while peeking into the HUB here and there and so on, always with a single hand (unless I actually can use a second hand to compose text). I don't need a screen where I pin things that I call home, because my home is the multitasking pane and is therefore dynamic. It doesn't make any sense to pin an Active Frame, this is not how one's supposed to use BB10. So when you say you go in and out of apps to indirectly sort them the way you want, all I can do is chuckle, because boy, this isn't how it works. The problem is that you think it's a homescreen, that Active Frames are widgets and that you mistakenly understand and want to use the device like an Android phone. That won't work, because it isn't designed to be like this. As an analogy it's like trying to drive a Superbike offroad. It doesn't make sense. But that's fine, because obviously you don't want to use your phone like this, you want to use your phone like an Android device is designed to be used. That's fine, but basically the Z10 didn't do anything wrong. It's just not made for your purposes and therefore is the wrong phone for you. It's not an Xperia Z. But we can switch sides here and I can showcase what happens if a Z10 user uses a Sony Android, since I actually had an Xperia T in use before I went to a Z10. All I can say is that that phone was a horrible experience all around for my taste. The first thing I did was deleting all preinstalled widgets since I don't need any. Working that thing one handed was almost impossible. The swipe gesture to close apps from the multitasking view was a pain in the a$$, because the phone was too big and had bad ergonomics. I constantly had to stabilize the phone with my second hand to be able to securely navigate it (and that phone only had 4.65", not 5 like your Xperia Z). The taskswitcher was a mess. It was inconvenient to open since the dedicated softkey sat in the bottom right corner where I could barely reach it when using the phone right single handed. The notification center - a complete mess. Filled up with notifications like "app updated" or "app installed" or "download complete" or "headphones plugged in" or "headphones plugged out" or "charger plugged in" or "charger plugged out" and so on. I had to scroll through mess like this until I'd finally see a message or notification I care about. Pulling the menu down from the top was a pain to begin with since I could barely reach the top of the phone one handed without risking a drop on the concrete, And then, a peek only wouldn't work because it'd show me nothing so I always had to pull the entire thing down (which, again, I needed a second hand for) and start scrolling through it to be ultimately able to see what came in. On BB10 instead I perform an L-shape with my thumb from the bottom and I can read 8 messages at a time without completely opening the HUB. This is where multitasking in everyday scenarios becomes fast and convenient - after investing 2 seconds I checked on 8 messages without even seriously interrupting the app/workflow I was in.

You make it sound like exiting apps on Android is a huge chore. It sounds like you're only familiar with Samsung devices which require a long press to get into the multitasking view. On other devices, there is an onscreen button that you simply tap and the view comes up.
    Yup, I explained that above. Meh. And that was a 4.65" device. It was so bad.

Now, back to my original question which you seem to be skirting. Which apps work better running in the background rather than paused? So far downloading/uploading in the background and video calls have been offered, and both of those run in the background on Android. What else?
    I don't understand this question. I really don't. I never said Android can only pause things and I never said that pausing in general is a bad thing. All I said was that BB10 delivers a good feeling of what is actually running and what's not and whether I'll interrupt an app by minimizing it or not. It's this simple: whatever is running on BB10, I can see in the multitasking view which is my homescreen. Simple. On Android instead I had the feeling that a lot of hidden (especially 3rd party) stuff was going on. It was a bad experience. I didn't know what was running, what was paused or what was even invisibly doing stuff.
    10-28-13 02:15 PM
    I don't see the point of playing more than 8 games at once.
    Yes because if someone has more than 8 apps open they all have to be games right?

I have no games installed on ANY of my devices. That includes a Z10, iPhone 5S and a Galaxy Nexus.
    10-28-13 02:16 PM
    It's a bit like BB10, but also FAR better. Also this is a single lockscreen app which manages to be far more advanced than the BB10 os.
    10-28-13 02:26 PM
    So it's Google now and the BlackBerry 10 gestures in one app? *yawn
    Nothing about this is google now.
    10-28-13 02:28 PM
    It doesn't have TouchWiz, not all non-Sony tablets have that It didn't have it in the first place and I've also stripped all bloatware as I call it. Thought it'd make it faster, but nope. Not possible. But I haven't tried the Sony Xperia Z tablet yet, so if you say this is the miraculous device that can do all that, I have nothing to prove against you.
    I was referring to the S3 of your boyfriend's that you say you use. Earlier you indicated the "press and hold" method of bringing up the multitasking view, leading me to believe that you didn't know that you just had to tap the onscreen button on other devices. Sorry for assuming.
    kimoi likes this.
    10-28-13 05:03 PM
    Wall of text
    No, no. I understand the difference between an actual home screen and the active frame screen, and that's why I had an issue with it. A home screen is a function that I need in a device. I don't want to have to jump in and out of apps to quickly get to information. That's also why I valued the hub. And the upcoming calendar events in the hub view was just icing on the cake of that feature for me. But when on Android, I have my home screens full of scrollable widgets like my calendar and email so I don't even have to go into those apps if I just want to quickly view information. When I *do* need to go into apps, that's where I value having everything in set places on my home screen so I can quickly go there without having to browse my app list. That's also another bonus of the recent apps/multitasking view. It takes me right back to what I was doing within the app with no need to restart it. To me that's more valuable than having a quick view of what exactly is running, what's paused, etc. It might have made a difference back in the days of limited RAM, but not now. As long as my device's performance/speed isn't affected I'm golden.

I never said the Z10 "did anything wrong." It was just different approaches to things I was already doing, and in many cases I didn't find it as intuitive as Android. That's just my own personal opinion, though. Hub was great, active frames were ok, and "peek" wasn't my cup of tea, especially if I was doing something in landscape. I'd have to either tilt the phone to portrait and then peek, and even then I'd only see half of the info, or I'd swipe completely out of the app and go to the hub. I much prefer Android's incoming notifications where you simply just divert your eyes and watch the scrolling message in the task bar. If I still had my Z10 I'm sure I'd like it a lot more on 10.2 with the toast notifications. That would be a major gripe eliminated for me.

I do agree with you about the extra notifications showing up in the notification tray. You'd think with all of Android's customizations there would be a way to choose which types of notifications would appear in the tray. But I've gotten good at training my eye to differentiate between legit notifications and everything else, and I swipe away what I don't need.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-30-13 at 12:40 PM. Reason: wording
    10-28-13 05:21 PM
    Okay. No offense, but I think you got something wrong with BB10. If BlackBerry wanted BB10 to be just another OS with 7 static homescreens filled with shortcuts and widgets, they had made it like that. But they didn't. As far as I'm concerned (and I already got the idea of BB10 when they showed their first conceptual demo back in May 2012) BlackBerry 10 is not supposed to work like this and you as a BB10 user are not supposed to use it like this. Active Frames aren't supposed to be, work and be used like widgets. The idea behind it isn't to place them like you place widgets on Android homescreens. Active Frames are nothing more and nothing less than minimized actual used apps, nothing you pin on your homescreen to be always open. This basically says a lot about the entire BB10 approach and paradigm. Just DO STUFF. So what you understand as a customizable homescreen like on Android or Windows Phone, isn't a customizable homescreen. It's literally the multitasking view you find on Android when you hit the taskswitcher. The idea behind this is that your phone is like a dynamic workplace. Whatever you see on your BB10 'homescreen' is actually what you're doing right at the moment. And when you're finished with a task, you close the Active Frame and that's it. Think of it like a work desk. It's empty, located at the center, this is the place where you do stuff. You get new apps to work on stuff from the right (the app pane), you get communications from the left (HUB) and you get global settings and quick toggles from the top. That's it. Basically there is no homescreen in BB10, but a multitasking screen which is the center of the paradigm. I got this idea totally and I was convinced of it and after 6 months in with a Z10, I still am. When I'm done with something, I close it, every time because I see no reason to left it open. When work is done, it gets pushed back to whereever it was. Twitter (Blaq in my case)? NEVER open. Facebook? Never open. WhatsApp? Never open. BBM? Never open. Browser? Calendar? Contacts? Clock? Never open. I open things when I want to use them and I close them when I'm done. But sure, it does happen that from time to time I got 4 or five apps open at the same time, but in this case, I actually use every single one of them and whatever is minimized in an Active Frame is something I'll come back to very shortly, it's only temporarily in the background. So a use case to explain this is the following: I pull the phone out my pocket to check CrackBerry, so I open the CB10 app. I find a link and open it in the browser. Based on the link in the browser I want to check on a document or download and save something. Maybe I parallely fire up Twitter or Facebook to check on there independently from the others. But basically all these opened apps (5 now) belong to a single 'use process'. Even while all these 5 apps are open I can still communicate over all various channels without even opening a sixth app, I just do it sideways through the HUB. When I'm done with this process, I close all apps before the phone gets back into my pocket. The only app I got sitting in the background over the course of a few hours sometimes is the music player when I'm in the middle of an audiobook, but that's really the only case I can think of where an app is Active Framed without me using it. This is how I understand BB10 and this is how I use it. This is also exactly how I used legacy BlackBerry devices. And because of this I never had a problem with the 8 apps limit. I can't imagine a scenario where I really use more than 8 apps at a time, in fact, I barely get over 4 apps. This together with the gesture based UI navigation optimized for one handed use gives me nothing but a fast, convenient and powerful tool to do stuff. The focus lies in 'fast' here. When BlackBerry and BB10 enthusiasts talk about 'multitasking' we don't mean two apps on the screen at the same time. We don't mean 15 or more apps sitting in the background. What we mean is how we actually use the phone. How. Multitasking is the center of BB10, it's your homescreen and when I use my Z10 I hurry through the phone, answer a message here, read an article there, copy this, paste that, sharing something and so on, always while peeking into the HUB here and there and so on, always with a single hand (unless I actually can use a second hand to compose text). I don't need a screen where I pin things that I call home, because my home is the multitasking pane and is therefore dynamic. It doesn't make any sense to pin an Active Frame, this is not how one's supposed to use BB10. So when you say you go in and out of apps to indirectly sort them the way you want, all I can do is chuckle, because boy, this isn't how it works. The problem is that you think it's a homescreen, that Active Frames are widgets and that you mistakenly understand and want to use the device like an Android phone. That won't work, because it isn't designed to be like this. As an analogy it's like trying to drive a Superbike offroad. It doesn't make sense. But that's fine, because obviously you don't want to use your phone like this, you want to use your phone like an Android device is designed to be used. That's fine, but basically the Z10 didn't do anything wrong. It's just not made for your purposes and therefore is the wrong phone for you. It's not an Xperia Z. But we can switch sides here and I can showcase what happens if a Z10 user uses a Sony Android, since I actually had an Xperia T in use before I went to a Z10. All I can say is that that phone was a horrible experience all around for my taste. The first thing I did was deleting all preinstalled widgets since I don't need any. Working that thing one handed was almost impossible. The swipe gesture to close apps from the multitasking view was a pain in the a$$, because the phone was too big and had bad ergonomics. I constantly had to stabilize the phone with my second hand to be able to securely navigate it (and that phone only had 4.65", not 5 like your Xperia Z). The taskswitcher was a mess. It was inconvenient to open since the dedicated softkey sat in the bottom right corner where I could barely reach it when using the phone right single handed. The notification center - a complete mess. Filled up with notifications like "app updated" or "app installed" or "download complete" or "headphones plugged in" or "headphones plugged out" or "charger plugged in" or "charger plugged out" and so on. I had to scroll through mess like this until I'd finally see a message or notification I care about. Pulling the menu down from the top was a pain to begin with since I could barely reach the top of the phone one handed without risking a drop on the concrete, And then, a peek only wouldn't work because it'd show me nothing so I always had to pull the entire thing down (which, again, I needed a second hand for) and start scrolling through it to be ultimately able to see what came in. On BB10 instead I perform an L-shape with my thumb from the bottom and I can read 8 messages at a time without completely opening the HUB. This is where multitasking in everyday scenarios becomes fast and convenient - after investing 2 seconds I checked on 8 messages without even seriously interrupting the app/workflow I was in.

Yup, I explained that above. Meh. And that was a 4.65" device. It was so bad.

I don't understand this question. I really don't. I never said Android can only pause things and I never said that pausing in general is a bad thing. All I said was that BB10 delivers a good feeling of what is actually running and what's not and whether I'll interrupt an app by minimizing it or not. It's this simple: whatever is running on BB10, I can see in the multitasking view which is my homescreen. Simple. On Android instead I had the feeling that a lot of hidden (especially 3rd party) stuff was going on. It was a bad experience. I didn't know what was running, what was paused or what was even invisibly doing stuff.
    So, to you, an OS which is meant for multitasking, that can't run more than 8 apps, and also doesn't have proper headless app support, is the pinnacle of innovation.
    That's basically what the wall of text said.

Most of the world will disagree with that, because it makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:58 PM
    My take: on Android and iOS only specific code can run in the background which the OS developers graciously allow.

On BB10 anything can run in the background. Not to mention the invocation framework extends that beyond what our facilie minds can imagine today. Cover shows us something BlackBerry 10 has almost baked-in to the OS and it's just a UX that the invocation framework makes look like a toy. That's not to say it's not useful or cool or clever... but so were the first cup holders built into a minivan. They're hardly amazing anymore, but would you buy a vehicle that didn't have cup holders today?

BB10 has potential that Android and iOS lack at this time whether or not that it makes a material difference on October 28th 2013.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 09:19 PM
    So, to you, an OS which is meant for multitasking, that can't run more than 8 apps, and also doesn't have proper headless app support, is the pinnacle of innovation.
    That's basically what the wall of text said.

Most of the world will disagree with that, because it makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    Most of the world won't care because they're running their mobile phones with default settings, get real.

So BB10 runs 8 apps, no more. How many apps should an OS run simultaneously since you made it a talking point?

Personally, I'm pretty much maxed out at 4 apps simultaneously whether on my phone, laptop or desktop. But that's just me.
    --TommesJay-- likes this.
    10-28-13 09:26 PM
    Most of the world won't care because they're running their mobile phones with default settings, get real.

So BB10 runs 8 apps, no more. How many apps should an OS run simultaneously since you made it a talking point?

Personally, I'm pretty much maxed out at 4 apps simultaneously whether on my phone, laptop or desktop. But that's just me.
    An Os pushing it's multitasking should be able to do more than bb10.
    As I said a long time ago, without headless app support, if you wanted to use your phone for communications and productivity, you'd have an led changer app, viber, Skype, whatsapp, BBM, the phone app, a note app running active framed for your tasks, you have the music player running and suddenly if you open the browser there's your ninth app. Or the camera. Or the pictures app.
    Some of those are integrated into the hub. But they don't provide all alerts into the hub. For example channels updates won't come through to the hub, whatsapp sometimes cuts out completely.
    So yeah, an 8 app background limit that still allows the battery life to be impacted as much as bb10, it's not ideal.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:36 AM
172 ... 4567