To the ones that have a BlackBerry & a android whitch one do you like the best ? I now have a BlackBerry 9930 but am thinking about getting the Motorola Droid 4 ? The only smart phone that I have ever had is a BlackBerry starting with the 8130 & 8330 , 8530 , 9630 , 9650 , 9930. The andriods seem to have more going on now Than the BlackBerrys. The BlackBerry 10 is a long wait.
    02-11-12 05:27 PM
    You should post this question on the androidcentral forum,
    02-11-12 05:32 PM
    Actually I'd try asking this in the Android section of CB. The vast majority of people who post there are ex-bb users, and some are even BB users who tried Android for a bit and went back to BB.
    02-11-12 05:38 PM
    You should post this question on the androidcentral forum,
    Not sure it should be in the andriod forum either because it is asking about both phones.
    02-11-12 05:38 PM
    It obviously depends on your requirements...

I loved my HTC Desire. Once my warranty was up, I rooted the device so I could have total control over it (i.e. download the latest OS or custom roms without having to wait for months). Customizability and openness are the biggest strengths to Android in my opinion. There are a load of free apps if that's your thing and widgets are great. Launchers are also fun - you can make your phone look like a Windows 7 phone, iPhone (blah), and a lot of other things.

I got my whole family on to Android...and then I switched to a Bold 9900 . I love the keyboard compared to the touch screen keyboards, it's amazing looking, and has great call quality.

I'm not going to suggest one or the other because the latest Android and BB devices are great. Just don't go the iPhone root
    02-11-12 05:55 PM
    Not sure it should be in the andriod forum either because it is asking about both phones.
    May be a Mod will move it if it should be moved.
    02-11-12 05:55 PM
    I tried andriod on 3 different handsets (atrix, htc insprire, and nexus s) and I really didn't like at all, it kept crashing and it was hard finding apps that would work right my handsets. If you want to try out a different platform I suggest the iPhone, it just works, and works smoothly. If you don't want to try the iphone, then next would be windows phone, it has the smoothest os out there, I just didn't care the "list view" ui, but it runs great.
    02-11-12 06:16 PM
    Wow... I got two Android handsets, an HTC and a Samsung, and never have problems with phones crashing. Occasionally an app might crash every few months, but they usually go weeks or months without a reboot.

I can warmly recommend a Samsung Galaxy 2, as it's probably the smoothest and fastest on the market right now. Updates are also fairly fast? If you can wait a month or two, it'll be really interesting to be an Android owner. That's when all the quad core handsets with HD screens are going to be out.

I really like Windows Phone as well, do check one of those out too...
    02-11-12 06:31 PM
    I carry both and the BB is much better for email but the Android is better for navigation, browsing, hotspot etc. If email is important to you get the BB.

I have noticed that on occasions, perhaps 3 or 4 times a week, email that is sent to me disappears entirely from my gmail system (desktop client, web client and Android phones) but still turns up on my BB. I have absolutely no idea where these emails go, they are not in junk or trash but they just disappear. But if you look on my BB you see in the header that it was send or forwarded to my gmail account.

BB is superior for email and messaging.
    02-11-12 06:51 PM
    Had a 8330 for a over a year, than got a 9800 about a month after it launched. Now I'm on an Atrix 2, had it for almost a month and really couldn't be happier.

There are somethings that I miss about BlackBerry, but overall, the tradeoff I can live with. I had to use my 9800 for a couple of days and it was like going back in time. But to be fair, using a friend's 9900 felt like a dream...

Which one do I like more? Right now its Android by a considerable margin. But part of the reason I still hang around here and keep my eyes and hears open about RIM is because I hope BlackBerry gets its stuff together, on all fronts, and maybe I'll be back on one fulltime.

Also, there's a stickied thread at the top of the forum for those who have left BlackBerry for other platforms. As well as a thread for those who have returned.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 02-11-12 at 07:01 PM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-11-12 06:51 PM
    If only BlackBerry 10 phones were in development 1 to 2 years before it actually began, we would've seen 3G/H+ versions in 2011 and the 2nd generation BB 10 phones with 4G LTE this year. Would've being a whole different game for RIM.
    02-11-12 06:58 PM
    Rim dropped the ball for a while & the CeOs didn't see the smart phones coming & even when they did see they thought that it was just a fad. Big mistake on Rims side because every one else got a head of Rim & its is a shame that Rim has sunk so low & do hope they can pull it of with BB 10. This Bold 9930 that I am posting with is awesome but it does like in a few things like Flash that you need for some websites to work correctly. I played with the Droid 4 yesterday & that big screen is nice & it is fast but I slow typing with it & I was lost in the menu because BlackBerry's is all that I have use in the last five years.
    02-11-12 07:40 PM
    If only BlackBerry 10 phones were in development 1 to 2 years before it actually began, we would've seen 3G/H+ versions in 2011 and the 2nd generation BB 10 phones with 4G LTE this year. Would've being a whole different game for RIM.
    Not to hijack the thread, but ....

I agree with all of this, except that RIM only purchased QNX around 18 months ago or so. You see the issues they faced porting it to a tablet; can you imagine if they had those issues on the introduction of their newest flagship phones? That would surely have been the death knell. I think BB7 was intended as that interim step (instead of BB6.1). The simple fact is the current BBOS platform won't get them where they need to be and they've taken it about as far as they can. But there wasn't much else around to get them to that next level besides the QNX platform which they did eventually pick, and they are still waiting for the ideal hardware to get the most out of it.

We can sit here and throw around the what-ifs all we want, but I'm not sure RIM would really be in any better of a position now if they had done things differently a few years earlier. I think they'd have been facing the same struggles they are now, only with that generation's hardware. They would have to have foreseen what the iPhone was going to become and what it would to the smart phone industry at the same time or before Apple did in order to ward off that thread, which, to Mr. Jobs' credit, nobody else on the planet was able to do. Google followed closely behind with Android, but they had the benefit of starting with a clean slate because they were not entrenched in an existing platform. RIM had/has to come up with something that is not only competitive, but it has to play nice with all of their existing infrastructure. As we are seeing, that is hardly a simple task. (And no, Android was absolutely not the answer.)

But I digest ...

@jerry12, as has kind of already been noted, it really comes down to what you want or need from your phone that you feel BB isn't providing. If all of your smart phones have been BB's, you may be in for a little culture shock switching to another platform. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing ... you may find you miss your BB, or you may find something you've always been missing with your BB. You'll never know until you give it a shot yourself.
    jerry12 likes this.
    02-11-12 08:02 PM
    I moved from the blackberry storm to Android, and never looked back. Never needed a physical keyboard, even in my windows mobile days.

If you like great battery list, and the best email in the business, then Blackberry is the way to go. Maybe a little better for social networking as well. If you like other apps, you'll probably be pretty disappointed.

If you want great email, and the most flexible, easily developed platform in the business, go for android. Not the best battery life, but my wife has a Droid 3, and loves it.

If you want great email, and the most games, pick the iPhone. Not as powerful/flexible as android, but pretty close. Also a little more flashy, if you're into that kind of thing.

I'm getting a free playbook pretty soon (converted my android app) so I'll let you know if I'm interested in ever going back to the blackberry platform.

EDIT: One other thing... when I had my storm, I literally couldn't wait to upgrade. I've had my droid X for over a year and a half, and while I wouldn't mind having a new phone, I'm not really dying to upgrade. I think that says something, that the platform is able to keep me entertained, even after coming out with multicore, LTE, etc, that I'm still able to run just about anything I want. No worries about having or not having Ice Cream Sandwich... I haven't seen anything I can't run that I care about anyways. Fragmentation is generally overstated by proponents of iOS and BBOS, not that BBOS really has much room to talk about on that.
    Last edited by c4v3man; 02-11-12 at 10:01 PM.
    02-11-12 09:57 PM
    May be a Mod will move it if it should be moved.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...kberry-696692/

Jerry, no one can answer what phone you should have but you. Make a list of things that mean the most you have with your Bold, and what you feel you're missing. Check out the droids, and see if one satisfies most of the list.
    02-11-12 10:06 PM
    android has a lot more going on because it has like 3 companies making them, while blackberry is just RIM. i prefer BB
    jerry12 likes this.
    02-11-12 11:14 PM
    I couldn't stand Android for the brief couple months I tried it.

IRL people always look at me funny because I always purposely say "Andriod", and when asked, I mention because all over the place, people seem to so easily misspell Android
    02-12-12 02:09 AM
    Not the best source(kind of a BB super-loyal-bias-lover). But I love my 9900 + playbook. Does everything I need. I personally don't like android as much as blackberry because I feel either its to confusing/complex or just to cluttered. Much of what I do on my BB is a breeze. Been using blackberry's for 5-6 years now. Never thought of switching.
    Just my opinion. I don't need all the games crap and everything anyway. I have a built computer/home theatre for that.

Sent via Tapatalk(Bold 9900)
    02-12-12 02:21 AM
    Love both my BB9900 and BB9930 although I give the slight edge to BB9900 because I can run VOIP on it and not on the BB9930.But then my BB9930 has the edge due to coverage that Verizon has just about every where. Also love my NexusS which is far better when it comes to reading my Docs2Go and other such stuff as with the Kindle for Android app. Each device offers something that the other does not. I only wish there was just one device that would have all the I needed.
    jerry12 likes this.
    02-12-12 08:21 AM
    android has a lot more going on because it has like 3 companies making them, while blackberry is just RIM. i prefer BB
    Three? More like 30 dozen! A lot of noise.

It creates a wealth of options on every carrier, but I would like to see Android do a minimum spec requirement. That will never happen though.

Android's strength is its the ecosystem and relatively future-proofed hardware, IMHO.
    02-12-12 10:01 AM
    I just all comes down to your needs and wants. I just upgraded another line yesterday and I contemplated going back to BB and their 9900, however I just couldn't justify going back to a 2.8" screen. I need something bigger. Pretty much that simple for me.

I ended up coming from many different BB's in a 8100, 8900, 8530, Storm 1 and a 9700 to the Android world of the Mytouch4G and just as of yesterday the Amaze4G.

Love all of what Android can do and offer. I do hope BB gets back to being in the mix though. Really looking forward to BB10 devices.

There really is no wrong in a device, unless faulty. Again it is all about what you need in a phone. Good luck!
    02-12-12 10:16 AM
    I just all comes down to your needs and wants. I just upgraded another line yesterday and I contemplated going back to BB and their 9900, however I just couldn't justify going back to a 2.8" screen. I need something bigger. Pretty much that simple for me.

I ended up coming from many different BB's in a 8100, 8900, 8530, Storm 1 and a 9700 to the Android world of the Mytouch4G and just as of yesterday the Amaze4G.

Love all of what Android can do and offer. I do hope BB gets back to being in the mix though. Really looking forward to BB10 devices.

There really is no wrong in a device, unless faulty. Again it is all about what you need in a phone. Good luck!
    Well said! I hope you enjoy the Amaze, it's a fantastic device. It's funny, screen size was the main reason I switched to Android, too. Such a small screen made it different to take in and/or edit all the content I wanted to, whether it was a web page, email, YouTube vid, word document, etc. Android just makes the mobile experience more functional and aesthetically pleasing in a neat lil package.
    02-12-12 10:37 AM
    Why I like Android:
    Big screen
    Widgets
    Customize-able screens
    Well spaced keyboard
    Google app integration
    Great browser w/ Flash
    Amazing camera
    Gmail email look/functions
    App availability

Why I like BlackBerry:
    Device size
    LED and custom sound notifications
    Keyboard
    Battery life
    Auto Text
    Spell Check
    Keyboard shortcuts
    Convenience keys
    Native Password Keeper

In the end, the Android device was too big, heavy. The battery didn't last long enough and I couldn't see the screen in sunshine.

I wish there was a smaller Android with a GREAT LED.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 02-12-12 at 10:49 AM.
    belfastdispatcher and TgeekB like this.
    02-12-12 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD