Hopefully they can regain the lead after the Bold & Storm (I purposely left out the flip)

What's everyone's thoughts on this? The iPhone (pretty much just one phone, one with EDGE only and the other 3g) vs. Blackberry that has 81XX, 8220, 83XX, 88XX, 9000, and soon the 95XX series.

Analyst confirms Apple slid past RIM to become number two smartphone vendor - Engadget Mobile

Apple steals number 2 spot from RIM in smartphone battle : Boy Genius Report
    11-07-08 08:26 PM
    It's impressive, but being a salesman in the industry, I still hear only complaints about what the iPhone lacks. I believe the Storm and Bold will push RIM right past Apple.
    11-07-08 08:31 PM
    I don't know, but it sure sounds like money changed hands somewhere. Considering the fact that the "glow" from the iPhone has worn off considerably and the fact that RIM is approaching a major release before Christmas, I don't know how this is possible.

However, if anyone watches shows like CSI: NY and Without a Trace, they are always on their iPhones. There's a good chance that these sorts of things had a bearing on these "statistics"

I wouldn't put too much into it.
    11-07-08 08:46 PM
    I wouldn't leave out the Flip Pearl because it's something that Apple has yet to dive into. To me, that's already a competitive advantage since some customers won't settle for anything else but a flip.

The other thing to keep in mind is this: With the success of the iPhone, doesn't it cannibalize their own success with any iPod or iTouch device out there? I mean, give it a few years when people start wanting or needing a new iPod and a new phone. They do the math and decide to get an iPhone (all-in-one). They start losing sales on iPod or iTouch devices, which ultimately makes retailers unhappy. Plus, it makes it seem that Apple is "in bed" with the one specific carrier that carries their device for phone use. At least with BlackBerry devices, they are spread across different carriers.
    11-07-08 08:47 PM
    Its amazing when one site publishes and article like this. It gets spread like wildfire over the net on thousands of sites blindly posting it. What they fail to mention is how they come up with the statistics. Quite often (and I'm pretty sure this is one of them, I'll have to do some more digging) these statistics only account for retail sales, consumer end, completely ignoring enterpise sales and numbers. The original article doesn't give any information on how that statistics were collected, but it's not that hard to spin numbers to create a great headline.

EDIT: Heres one example of how inaccurate things can be: Mobile Opportunity: Does anybody really know what smartphone market share is?
    Last edited by Shao128; 11-07-08 at 09:04 PM.
    11-07-08 08:58 PM
    Its amazing when one site publishes and article like this. It gets spread like wildfire over the net on thousands of sites blindly posting it. What they fail to mention is how they come up with the statistics. Quite often (and I'm pretty sure this is one of them, I'll have to do some more digging) these statistics only account for retail sales, consumer end, completely ignoring enterpise sales and numbers. The original article doesn't give any information on how that statistics were collected, but it's not that hard to spin numbers to create a great headline.
    I believe these statistics are based off each companies earnings. They recently posted their 3Q earnings.
    11-07-08 09:01 PM
    Wait till 4Q earnings comes out. Bet it flips back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 09:40 PM
    Ok so after reading a few more articles, from what I gather, the market share numbers are only pertaining to the 3rd quarter market share, not total market share, some articles reference this, some don't. Like for example BGR seems to have not really paid much attention to what they were posting Apple steals number 2 spot from RIM in smartphone battle : Boy Genius Report

Either way, none of the numbers really seem to make sense, take this for example.

Apple claims to have sold 6.1 million original iPhones and 6.9 million 3G's (Currently) Thats units sold, not necessarily subscribers.
    Source: Apple Q408 results out: 6.9m iPhones sold, record Mac sales UPDATE: Steve answers analysts' questions - Engadget

RIM claimed over 16 million Blackberry subscribers in (June of this year)
    Source: Press Release: RIM Reports First Quarter Results | CrackBerry.com

So based on simple math unless RIM lost over 3 million subscribers since June....you get the point.

Like I said numbers can be spun many ways to create a great headline
    11-07-08 10:02 PM
    RIM's reputation alone will carry them through whether or not apple outsold them for a quarter.

11-07-08 11:18 PM
    How is apple ahead? It lacks so much, oh that's right they have elite marketing skills. They can sell a pile of shi~ and make millions off it

11-07-08 11:41 PM
    the iphone is not a smartphone. it's a multimedia phone.
    11-08-08 12:45 AM
    Ok so after reading a few more articles, from what I gather, the market share numbers are only pertaining to the 3rd quarter market share, not total market share, some articles reference this, some don't. Like for example BGR seems to have not really paid much attention to what they were posting Apple steals number 2 spot from RIM in smartphone battle : Boy Genius Report

Either way, none of the numbers really seem to make sense, take this for example.

Apple claims to have sold 6.1 million original iPhones and 6.9 million 3G's (Currently) Thats units sold, not necessarily subscribers.
    Source: Apple Q408 results out: 6.9m iPhones sold, record Mac sales UPDATE: Steve answers analysts' questions - Engadget

RIM claimed over 16 million Blackberry subscribers in (June of this year)
    Source: Press Release: RIM Reports First Quarter Results | CrackBerry.com

So based on simple math unless RIM lost over 3 million subscribers since June....you get the point.

Like I said numbers can be spun many ways to create a great headline
    It's not units sold, it's units shipped. Big difference.
    11-08-08 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD